Recommendations non-Almighty MC

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by Randolph, Apr 17, 2021.

1. Randolph

Randolph Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I FRICKIN' NEED AN MC WHICH IS NOT SOME 'I CAN DO EVERYTHING BY MYSELF' type!

Seriously... while I understand that reading those kind of things is kinda fun, but wtf almost all translated novels nowadays are all about MC which is jack of all trade, master of all... I want to read a story in which the MC, while being profiecient in one or several things, they also have their own inability and thus need to depend on others...

For example: WTF ALMOST ALL CULTIVATION NOVELS MC ARE LIKE DIS: Fighting? I am undefeatable. Pill concoting? Mine is the best. Weapon forging? I'm practically the master of everything. Formation? Making and breaking is my specialty.

As for JP: Strategy? My responsibility. Melee? Leave it to me. Ranged? No prob. Magic? Hahaha ez ez. Heal? I shall recover u to the perfect condition u've never been before.

Basically, almost all novels I've read have those kind of MC nowadays... wut the fak is going on... I know I'm not one to judge, since I can't even write... but at least as reader, let me enjoy something diverse . Well, anyway, plz recommend me novels with 'normal' MC that's now Jack-of-All-trade-Master-of-All

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
    Wujigege likes this.
  2. deepon

deepon One who inevitably awakens

Reading List:
    Link
    Try reading slice of life novels. Like Oregairu, or Zero no Maria.
    Jokes aside, there is Tsuki ga michibiku, and Zero believer goddess, both translated by reigokai. Then there is Mushoku Tensei, Shield Hero, Ending Maker, Never die extra and Stop! Friendly fire.

3. Randolph

Randolph Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yep, one of my ways to cope with it is to read SOL, but sometimes u know, just linda crave for some action story... n the one u've metioned, I've read them, and yeah, good, but kinda lacking in what I'm looking for... the one I'm looking for is kinda like the manga: Live-dungeon, where each members have their major roles... not just as spectator...

4. Halcyon Observer

Halcyon Observer Full stop

Reading List:
    Link
    Congratulations, you've uncovered the hidden mechanic behind the scenes in most web novels translated here: wish fulfillment.

On NU, there is Reverend Insanity and Dungeon Defense. Do keep in mind that these main characters may be a bit... unpalatable, if you will.

Here's Mother of Learning on RRL. Exceptional characters; each character has their own strengths and weaknesses. Complete.
    Another title on RRL is The Gilded Hero. It apparently is on hiatus, which is rather unfortunate because I really looked forward to Book II.

I haven't read Stop! Friendly Fire, but I'd actually argue that Ending Maker and Never Die Extra definitely have master-of-all main characters. As for the other two, Mushoku Tensei and Shield Hero at least have enemies to balance their own main characters' strengths.

Reack and Hamski like this.
  5. Hamski

Hamski Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I wouldn’t even call it a hidden mechanic, it’s actually quite obvious when someone takes the time to think about it. Also, considering that Stop, Friendly Fire! Is by Toika, who I’ve literally only ever seen write jack of all trades MCs (Never Die Extra, Everyone Else is a Returnee, Demon King(?), etc) it’s probably going to suffer from the same issue.

6. deepon

deepon One who inevitably awakens

Reading List:
    Link
    Try Sevens

7. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    If only...

I am assuming you only want fantasy and not-Sol,
    • Toaru series, like seriously.
    • Re:zero
    • Sukasuka

Reack likes this.
  8. Jojo775

Jojo775 Honorary Algae Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    heh time to move on. I now only read fanfics

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
    Wujigege likes this.
  9. TaffyGirl13

TaffyGirl13 just a casual translator~

Reading List:
    Link
    Wujigege likes this.
  10. Daresan

Daresan Well-Known CN Master

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes i want that kind of novel where mc has no plot armour.

A record of mortal's journey to immortality ( Has plot armour but very less compared to other novels. Mc struggles are very good)

Demon's diary ( same as RMJI)

Gate Of Good Fortune ( More like gate of misfortune with incredibly stupid mc)

Dark Blood Age

Re zero (Has ultimate plot armour but rest is pretty dark)

Wish there were more novels like these without almighty mc

11. Randolph

Randolph Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Haha, toaru series is godlike, hel, I spend days reading all the original and NT... haven't started reading the newest one since only several volumes are out

Yep, those 3 r really good n I've read them all XD

U're right XD but sometimes I kinda hope they can make better cultivation novels tho... maybe I skim through them wishing my hope is fulfilled someday haha

Yep, while all-mighty one r good once in a while, too much is making them stale

Daresan likes this.