Request If anyone is bored, please help me rate the synopsis of my novel <3

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by dvces, Apr 19, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dvces

dvces Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
    Deleted member 310942 likes this.
  2. Joospinch

Joospinch Don't click my avatar!!!

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm i really liked it though i feel like its more of a prologue of sorts :sweating_profusely:

3. TheLastAeon

TheLastAeon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think its more like prologue than synopsis, but good job cause it make me want to read more :aww::blobnosebleed::aww:

dvces likes this.
  4. Sirusblue

Sirusblue Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's a really good job. It had me hooked at the part where thousands of corpses were described. :blobokhand:

dvces likes this.
  5. WhyDidIDoThis

WhyDidIDoThis Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    it really does build the world around you, but I think it's a bit too long for a synopsis. I look forward to you posting this novel!

dvces likes this.
  6. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Too long to read

I want an abridged version

dvces likes this.
  7. suncust

suncust I love all fluffy things! ~

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm I think overall its good, but I feel that some descriptions are a tad too long and repetitive, like the opening paragraph when u were describing long xue, perhaps you might want to scale it back a little? In the rest of the prologue as well.

Also just one small thing;

Here u mentioned small moon's but in the following para u mentioned stars, perhaps edit either to be consistent?

dvces likes this.
  8. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This felt like a typical Chinese cultivation novel. It that's the effect you were aiming for, then I guess you can consider it a resounding success! :blobwhistle:

P.S. Call it a prologue, trailer, appetizer or teaser; no way it can be a mere synopsis! :blobfearful:

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
  9. anotherAniket

anotherAniket Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's good for a prologue ig. But honestly, you already had me at:
    That said, I'm looking forward to your novel. Good luck.
    PS: try using Grammarly to check spelling mistakes and stuff.

otaku31 and dvces like this.
  10. Isaac20

Isaac20 Dark Lord | RS

Reading List:
    Link
    This's a prologue not a synopsis @dvces. Ya've to shorten this. The whole novel seems pretty interesting.

11. kajess

kajess Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's good. This kind of writing is exactly my type. At first, I liked the detailed description of the characters from their body to the tiniest details as it made me create images in my imagination. But then as I kept reading I got bored as the descriptions got longer and longer so I kind of skipped them. I actually needed my dictionary for some deep words like lithe and decrepit. English is not my first language so ... Overall, it's good. Looking forward to your novel!

dvces likes this.
  12. Sai55

Sai55 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I feel like you are explaining things too much. Like the part of "as if dew would come out with but a single pinch" is completely redundant imo. Also since it's a prologue, why explain the "The Celestial beings ......", and how she is number one under the heavens. Would it not be exciting if MC slowly uncovered why his mother was chased down etc etc. For me, a good prologue is showing how the MC came to where he/she is, but the "WHY" part should be told in the story and not in the prologue/synopsis.

dvces likes this.
  13. dvces

dvces Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ooooookay, so, it appears that this is a good length for a prologue? In my first draft that i made tonite, this is actually not even HALF of the prologue that i created LOL.
    I feel that if I do not explain enough, the world building aspect and the background of the story to come will be extremely UNCLEAR and confusing if i do not make it longer?

I've read novels that had super duper long information dumps at the start, but, in a sense i feel like they also help A TON, even though the word count may be high.
    anyways, thank you so much for your input <3 means a lot

YES! that was the exact feeling i was going for, i remember it well when i was reading something interesting or enjoyable.
    thank you for the input my friend...

HOHO, another bloodthristy induvidual i see :), it appears we agree upon the point that THE RUTHLESS MC IS THE BEST MC!!!
    thanks, appreciate the feedback.

holy, literally have a smile on my face rn, im gunna start grinding out chapters... one of the most fun things i have done in a while.
    thanks for the feedback my friend.

2016 Old Ancestor WujiGege, the Great Sage....

It appears i have attracted an old monster.... Just kidding, but, idk how to feel because this is literally not even half of the prologue,
    I understand its long but in order to properply and clearly communicate the backstory, background, and MC's life I almost feel as if it is a must.

You have 100% read a plethora of novels, I really appreciate the feedback.

dude, not gunna lie, i completely thought a moon was a star LOL. I fixed that just now.
    And yes, i agree, the description on Xue'er is indeed long. But, how let me counter-ask you a question.
    in your mind, how exactly did you think of her? Was she attractive in your head? A goddess in your mind?
    If you said yes to those 2, I believe that the writing got through to you :)
    anyways, thank you for the feedback man. im absorbing all this like a sponge.

it. it... appears that WujiGege is not the only Old Ancestor I have attracted... ahem..
    Heavenly Being 2015 Otaku, your advice has struck me right in the head....
    However, Peerless Lord Otaku, you must realize... This will be the absolute CREAM-OF-THE-CROP of chinese cultivation novels.
    I cannot deny that I am extremely confused about the length of chapters, and especially this prologue. I understand that it may be a bit lengthy... but this is not even half of what I drafted for the ACTUAL prologue. I believe i said this above, but I feel as if in order to convey the background, world, and origins of the MC it must be done. Maybe it will be a bit information- dumpy, but i honestly believe that in order to have that mind-mental reading imaginative connection (if you have read a lot of novels, when you kinda just zone out and read and literally feel as if you are in the scenes)

anyways, PLO (hehe, peerless lord otaku) thank you for your input, i appreciate it since you are an OG.
    I would be interested to see if you agree or disagree with my point above ^

Hehe, you my friend, will be in for a treat. It seems we have a man of culture...

Check out what i said to PLO above,
    Let me know if you agree or disagree with that. I appreicate the feedback my dude. Means a lot :D

otaku31 likes this.
  14. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    Firstly, grammar check. Secondly, don't mention numbers as digits. Write the English names instead of digits. Better for reading. Nextly, you spend a lot of time describing the physical characteristics, but the typical way of doing this is redundant. Try to only focus on their special traits, or find innovative ways to describe.

dvces likes this.
  15. dvces

dvces Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link

LOL! im sorry my friend!!! We are similar in that sense, I also love the detailed descriptions because even though there may be more words, i feel as if you can imagine yourself in the exact scene. If you do not explain like that, i feel as it the story becomes very boring and bland.

16. Nude_philoshopher

Nude_philoshopher Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A bit too much description there.If that's your writing style,i'm in.It resembles classic chinese novels(ttnh for ex.) and i love it.Looking forward to it

dvces likes this.
  17. dvces

dvces Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree with you,
    The physical characteristics 100% need to be toned down quite a bit, however, when you say "but the typical way of doing this is redundant. Try to only focus on their special traits, or find innovative ways to describe." what exactly does that mean?

For example, what would be recognized as a special trait? Eye color? Body shape? I feel as if the things i described were in a sense their induvidual special traits for each introduced character. Its not like i will be constantly saying "blah blah beauty she has eyes" but to firstly introduce the character that should be the rite of passage no?
    I am 100% going to tone it down but, these peak characters are going to end re-appearing in the novel at some point as important figures, so if i just descibed them as "she was a beauty with gold eyes" or "he was a ghastly looking ancient being, the Blood Yama Emperor." Would that be better? I believe thats the type of style you are talking about.
    I just achieved writing enlightenment from you I think...
    See if this sounds right to you ...(conclusion)
    Conclusion: For side mobs and less important characters provide single 1-2 sentence MAX descriptions
    For MC, his companions, should be in vivid highly detailed setting?
    or just for everyone go 1-2 sentences? now im confused.
    LMK what you think my friend. thanks for the input

I was under the impression that, the prologue, should be containing the background part of the story? Im providing world building knowledge, planting the seeds of the races, realm, etc slkjdhfghkjSADHJGAFHSK OK i just understood

f*ck you guys are geniuses or something on here honestly. LOL

yes, i understand, you just pointed out an absolute huge flaw that i did not think of. But there is two sides to the coin,
    In my original thoughts, telling the background story, and why she was getting chased, lines up to PERFECTLY explain the background of why the position he is in.. WE THE READERS will know his backstory of his mother and the secrets of the past, being chased etc, BUT, OUR MAIN CHARACTER!! LONG BAO!!! will have NO clue!!

That is what i think was the issue here. Do you still have the same opinion as before? I would like to know if you still have the same thoughts after reading that stuff ^^^

I feel like it lock in like a puzzle once the story begins to unfold.

18. Isaac20

Isaac20 Dark Lord | RS

Reading List:
    Link
    Haha... No worries mate. I got your point. I look forward to reading your badass MC's novel. I already missed a novel like ‘Reverend Insanity’.

dvces likes this.
  19. Daresan

Daresan Well-Known CN Master

Reading List:
    Link
    It is written well but if you are going to write a novel with this plot then i dont think it will be good, i think if you focus on normal novel like mc is lowest of the low without golden finger then you can write exceptional novel. Interesting world building with amazing power system like orginal novel in webnovel " Oracle path".

You can totally write a novel but this setting was a bit cliche and required reader's suspension of disbelief.

About describing too much i think this is the type of novel i would like to read not monotonous novels like most of Korean novels. I think you did well there, when writing if you cant evoke reader's imagination then novel will not be good.

20. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    The thing about description of an individual is very tough to do on paper. For example, I understand that the girl is an important character and you need to better define her characteristics. However, I also understand that you want her dead soon, so maybe don't spend that much time and effort? Or rather, think in terms of the word count. There should be a good ratio between "redundant/adjective" words and "action" words.

I understand that as a prologue, you want to focus more on getting the setting straight. You are already doing a fine job at making an interesting narrative, but setting a consistent "pace" is also important. What you have written is an excellent draft, but it needs to go through an editor.

KhayDesu likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.