Request If anyone is bored, please help me rate the synopsis of my novel <3

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by dvces, Apr 19, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You misunderstood me. The problem isn't the length, it's the write-up. What you presented here would be classed as a prologue of sorts rather than synopsis, a synopsis usually being a brief overview of the novel. This can continue being the prologue but you need to write a brief summary of the novel to use as synopsis.

As for chapter length or division, do it as you see fit, but always keep in mind that each chapter must be a coherent whole.

Also, your grammar could do with a bit of improvement. Someone also mentioned numbers, so let me clarify: numbers from 1 to 9 should be spelt out while others should be written as digits.

Hope this helps. :blobpeek:

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
    dvces likes this.
  2. dvces

dvces Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Agreed, she will be dead soon, but she will appear later in the novel.
    Honestly thank you for your input. It helps alot since Im literally just sending it
    I think i will start out just cranking chapters until an editor wants to hop on board.

You opened my perspective on this a lot. I think the major thing i should try to focus on is to 'get to the point' as fast as possible while still being descriptive in a sense.

This cleared up so many of my doubts,
    The numbers issue, I knew of it but overlooked the issue due to not going over the 'draft'.
    I understand now, so just to clarify, the synopsis should be a summary of the novel as whole correct? I should provide minimal information about the actual plot and clarify more about the .kljhsdfkjgsdhfkjga
    ok
    would you mind just sending me a link to a novel or synopsis you think is exceptional?
    no worries if you cannot, i just think seeing an example instead of trying to think about it would be better :p

And yes this helped, for lack of a better word, a fuckton.

otaku31 likes this.
  3. otaku31

Reading List:
    Link
    Check out the description of https://www.novelupdates.com/series/who-moved-my-mountain/. It's a bit spoilerish but it immediately made me want to try it out. And just like that, you want a synopsis that is truthful, interesting, funny, amusing or intriguing; something that would hook the readers in without giving away too much of the novel.

Remember that a synopsis of a novel is it's get up, the clothes it wears, the first impression the reader gets and, very often, a deciding factor on whether the reader wants to pick it up. Just like the blurb at the back of a published book which a reader instinctively turns to before making a purchase decision.

dvces likes this.
  4. dvces

dvces Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    yup.
    10000%
    understood. i dont even have to include any of that shit that i had in previously, this cleared up every single one of my doubts.

Looking back, i realize that i was overthinking the synopsis way too hard. My synopsis writing was tainted due to the fact, I have read 100000000 absolutely horrendous ones on WebNovel.

otaku31 likes this.
  5. otaku31

Reading List:
    Link
    Wait, if you've been reading from Webnovel, I have two additional pieces of advice. First, don't be vague or include some incomprehensible poetry or philosophy in your abstract. Include a lucid account of your novel with some actual info about the setting and storyline. Secondly, don't make it all dialogue. CNs tend to incorporate dialogue in their summary which is OK, but it shouldn't be all dialogue even if it's a really funny excerpt.

dvces likes this.
  6. dvces

dvces Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I use 4 platforms. ( i use all those as well but not to find novels, only to read"
    edit- nearly got banned on accident for spelling out the names and now im scared lmao.

I will be uploading only RR and WN to start.
    Yeah, Ithink that vague stuff is extremely corny, that will not be the route im aiming for at all. Dont worry, I got this.
    Ill probs create 5 chaps atleast tmrw. You can get a taste of the novel then if you'd like. I wont disappoint!

Also, thank you for sharing your knowledge on this, having a fresh perspective is equivalent to sending me coal in the winter.

otaku31 likes this.
  7. Kefie

Kefie 《Lazy Pirate》《⚓️》《Step Red Sibling》

Reading List:
    Link
    i just hv some rly minor edits/comments that i put in color, but it looks rly gooddddddddd

In the deep cascades of the void, the stars were twinkling with respledent soft light and vigor, looking as if the dark space was illuminated by trillions of small moons.

In the deep cascades of the void, the stars were twinkling with resplendent soft light and vigor, looking as if the dark space was illuminated by trillions of small moons.

Under the illumination of these lights stood a peerless beauty, adorned with cascading black hair that looks as if it was made of the finest of heavenly silks, a beauty with a soul-stirring perfect voluptuous figure that makes both Celestials and Devils weep, a beauty with jade-like skin that seemed as if dew would come out with but a single pinch, and her golden irises looked as if they contained galaxies.

Under the illumination of these lights stood a peerless beauty, adorned with cascading black hair that looked as if it was made of the finest of heavenly silks. Her beauty resonated from a soul-stirring perfect voluptuous figure that made both Celestials and Devils weep, jade-like skin that seemed as if dew would come out with but a single pinch, and her golden irises that looked as if they contained galaxies.

But, this beauty's face however; currently looked cold, indifferent, and aloof as if she was about to complete her final task.

However, her face currently looked cold, indifferent, and aloof as if she was about to complete her final task.

At the same time, this lithe and petite figure, was currently examining the thousands of corpses of the peak experts of various races that had pursued her for the last forty-thousand years, the area around her own self was extremely eerie, it had a similarity to the deepest levels of the Abyssal Blood Puragtory, akin to a slaughterhouse.

Meanwhile, this lithe and petite figure was currently examining the thousands of corpses of various races' peak experts, that had pursued her for the last forty-thousand years. The area around her was extremely eerie, having a similarity to the deepest levels of the Abyssal Blood Puragtory, akin to a slaughterhouse. Might want to include more descriptions as to why the area was eerie. Was there mist? Darkness?

Mutilated corpses of massive ten-thousand kilometer long Heavenly Dragons, World-Eating Serpents, Celestial Titans, Abyss Devil Lords, Elves, Faery's, Humans, and a plethora of myriad races were gently floating around the void with vivid expressions of despair and agony, but most of all apparent
    emotion portrayed on their icy cold corpses was...fear.

Mutilated corpses measuring more than ten thousand kilometers were gently floating around the void with vivid expressions of despair and agony. Although there was a plethora of races, including Heavenly Dragons, World-Eating Serpents, Celestial Titans, Abyss Devil Lords, Elves, Faery's, and even Humans, they all had the same apparent emotion portrayed on their icy cold corpses: fear.

As she scanned the area, her golden irises slowly began to grow colder than the cores of dead stars.
    This beauty, called Long Xue, was not just renown for her looks, in fact, most people did not dare to even speak about her looks. They instead referred her as her moniker, Xue the Peerless, as she has stood at the peak of the Nine Heavens for the last fifty-thousand years. She in fact was, Number One Under Heaven.

As she scanned the area, her pupils slowly began to grow colder than the cores of dead stars. This beauty, Long Xue, was not just renowned for her looks, which most did not even dare to even speak about. They instead referred her as her moniker, Xue the Peerless, while she stood at the Nine Heavens' peak for the last fifty-thousand years. She was Number One Under Heaven.

Those cold golden glacier eyes seemingly were looking into nothingness, pondering, until a flash of realization shot through them.

Instantly, over six-thousand massive auras only a tad bit weaker than her own erupted from the voidal space passageways around her.

Those glacier eyes seemingly looked into nothingness, pondering, until a flash of realization shot through them. Her eyebrows furrowed. Instantly, over six thousand massive auras, only a tad weaker than her own, erupted from the voidal space passageways around her.

The pursuers this time however, were not just some first and second rate peak experts, the party that arrived at this moment consisted of the #1 experts of their entire races, they were their races Patriarchs, Old Ancestors, and Primogenitors of many abilities and bloodlines.

However, the arriving pursuers this time were not just some first and second rate peak experts, but the best experts of their entire races: Patriarchs, Old Ancestors, and Primogenitors of many abilities and bloodlines.

However do not be fooled, even though these Patriarchs and Old Monsters were nearly equal in cultivation to Long Xue, even with six-thousand, they all still felt deep rooted fear towards her; Long Xue,
    the most tyrannical and powerful Celestial to ever live... and also the last of her bloodline.

However do not be fooled. Even though these old monsters' cultivations were nearly equal to Long Xue, even with six thousand, they all still felt a deep rooted fear towards Long Xue, the most tyrannical and powerful Celestial to ever live... and also the last of her bloodline.

The Celestial's were beings renown as the strongest in the universe, born with three hearts, a natural physique that can conquer Gods and Demons alike. However, they were also extreme battle junkies, they expanded, conquered, and expanded once more for millions of years. They enslaved countless races, slaughtered, and plundered all things. Up until fourty-thousand years ago, when the experts of all realms and races moved as one to wipe them out for good. The battle lasted for ninety-nine years, however they did not stop fighting once during that time, each expert of the Celestial race was being assaulted by thousands of peak experts at the same time, draining their qi reserves, adding up small wounds, and expending their soul power. After ninety-nine years of non-stop assault, the Celestials began falling one by one. The race that dominated the universe for millions of years was wiped out in a short century. The little princess of the Celestial race, Long Xue, survived due to her father, the number-one expert of the Nine Heavens Realm, exploding his dantian and soul to let her escape...

The Celestials were beings renown as the strongest in the universe: born with three hearts and a natural physique that could conquer Gods and Demons alike. However, they were also extreme battle junkies who expanded and conquered for millions of years. They enslaved countless races, slaughtering and plundering all, up until around fourty thousand years ago, when the experts of all realms and races moved as one to exterminate them for good. The battle lasted for ninety nine years, during which it never paused a single moment, as each Celestial race's expert was assaulted by thousands of peak experts at the same time: draining their qi reserves, adding up small wounds, and expending their soul power. After ninety nine years of continuous assault, the Celestials began falling one by one. The race that dominated the universe for millions of years was wiped out in a short century. Only the little princess of the Celestial race, Long Xue, survived due to her father, the number one expert of the Nine Heavens Realm deciding to ignite both his dantian and soul to let her escape...

Blinking to regain compsure, Whilst she was being surrounded, an enormous blood mist cloud millions of kilometers long appeared in the distance before her ears picked up on the piercing screeching laugh within,

"JIE! JIE! JIE! JIE! HAHA! LITTLE XUE'ER SLUT, HOW DOES IT FEEL TO TASTE DESPAIR AFTER THIS LONG OF A WAIT? WAIT NEVERMIND, DONT TELL ME, YOUR FRESH BLOOD WILL! JIE JIE JIE"

As she blinked to regain compsure whilst being surrounded, an enormous cloud of blood mist millions of kilometers long appeared in the distance, before her ears were pierced by the screeching laugh within. "JIE JIE JIE JIE! HAHA! LITTLE XUE'ER SLUT, HOW DOES IT FEEL TO TASTE DESPAIR AFTER THIS LONG OF A WAIT? NEVERMIND DONT ANSWER, LET YOUR FRESH BLOOD DO IT FOR YOU! JIE JIE JIE!"

As Long Xue heard the voice that sounded like a billion banshee's wailing she turned to see a decrepit wizened man appear from the blood mist, he had a long white beard, coupled with a completely bald head.

He was extremely emancipated, his aura wreaked the stench of blood, death and iron, and his pupils were like two crystalline rubies.

As Long Xue processed the voice filled with wailings like of a million banshees, she turned to see a decrepit wizened man take shape beneath the blood mist. His long white beard swished with the winds, combined with a completely bald head nodding as his curved and bony back appeared. He was emancipated, his aura reeking the stench of blood, death, and iron, while his pupils were like two crystalline rubies.

A few moments later, from another direction, a domain of pure white mist equal in size to the blood mist appeared over the land, but this one an had extremely good looking 'scholar' walk out of it.
    This man was a medium height of 180 CM sculpted and defined as if he came from an ancient fairy immortal realm that was out of reach for lowly commoners, he had long purple hair, purple irises, and was adorned with a single earring on his right ear that looked like a minature version of himself.

A voice that sounded etheral and soul-soothing came out from his mouth,

"Hoho, calm down Blood Yama Emperor, when have I, Soul Thearch, ever failed you?"

A few moments later, from another direction, a domain of pure white mist materialized over the land. Although it was equal in size to the blood mist, it instead had a stunning 'scholar' walk out of it. This man had a medium height of around a hundred and eighty centimeters, sculpted and defined as if he had come from an ancient immortal realm out of reach for lowly commoners. His extensive purple hair slightly parted to reveal his right ear, enhanced with an earring that looked like a minature version of himself, as his violet irises gleamed. An ethereal and soul-soothing voice that sounded flowed from his mouth. "Hoho, calm down Blood Yama Emperor. When have I, Soul Thearch, ever failed you?"

After the soul thearch appeared, hundreds and thousands of these peak characters began show up in the same illustrious fashion, and then they began to quarrel.

After seeing Soul Thearch's arrival, hundreds and thousands of similar peak characters began to emerge in the same illustrious fashion. However, they launched into a heated quarrel.

"Hmph, Soul Thearch, you dare to speak so arrogantly after she floored you in soul arts for over the last forty-thousand years?"

"Hmph! Soul Thearch, you still dare to speak so arrogantly after she floored you in soul arts for the last forty thousand years?"

"Hoho, Tian Shi, you are still to green to dare speak so highly, did you not "

"Hoho! Tian Shi, you are still to green to dare speak so highly, did you not " Is there something missing from the end of this?

"What a fool all of you understand that I, Heaven Smiting Lightning King, will be the one to take her head"

"Fools! All of you need to understand that I, Heaven Smiting Lightning King, will be the one to take her head!"

"Soul Thearch is actually the best, I believe in you big bro!"

"Soul Thearch is the best, I believe in you big bro!"

"Shut up bastard!"

"Shut up, bastard!"

"Hahahaha! Long Xue will be ours finally, we can finally wipe these bastards out!"

"Hahahaha! Long Xue will finally be ours and now we can wipe these bastards out!"

"I want to taste her!!! Those eyes looking like she wants to eat us alive!

"I want to taste her!!! Look at those eyes seeming as if she wants to eat us alive!

"Haha Brother, you also have a keen eye I see...."

"Haha. Brother, you also have a keen eye, I see...."

"Time to finish the Holy March!!"

"Time to finish the Holy March!!"

The croud began exploding with excitement and vigor, looking at Long Xue as if they could already see their victory at hand...

The croud exploded with excitement and vigor, intently staring at Long Xue as if they could already see their victory at hand.

"YES!! KEKEKEKE!! HAHAHAHA!!"

"YES!! KEKEKEKE!! HAHAHAHA!!"

"You, Long Xue, if your naiveness lets you believe tha-

"Long Xue, if your naivete lets you believe tha–"

However, at this moment... something changed
    A voice, sounding like the most beautiful heavenly chimes spoke out,
    "Silence"

However, at this moment, something changed, as a voice like the most beautiful heavenly chimes spoke out. "Silence."

dvces likes this.
  8. Sai55

Sai55 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link

I mean you are not wrong when you say prolouge should contain background of the story. But this Long Xue part feels too important for just casually explainging in a prolouge. I mean her being "Number One under the Heavens" implies MC will take a long long time before even knowing the name "Long Xue".

About we as "Readers" knowiing the backstory. Well we are Readers after all. A small clue here, a small clue there and we can figure out many things about Long Xue, much much longer than MC. For example in a scenario where the readers know MC is adopted or an orphan, readers will always speculate about MC's family. Trust me when i say this, the moment someone else comes into the story with the same family name "Long" we as readers will try to connect the dots. And if its something like "A powerful women surnamed Long, was being chased into the "Deep void in space" and no one else knows what happened in the end", to us readers it will be 90% confirmed that whoever the woman was, she is connected to our MC. But the same for MC cannot be said, to him it will be just a new piece of information on this vast world.

dvces likes this.
  9. Nightangle

Nightangle Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I dont think the focus of the synopsis or prologue whatever this is should be on the mc's mother. These things should be discovered by mc as he progresses in his cultivation, if you are going with plot where mc's mother dies here and you showcasing her final moments in the prologue isnt makimg any sense to me. Bdw you mentioned in the prologue that long xue's parents died 40000 years before and she is powerful now and is surrounded by enemies which are apparently never ending so you have to give mc a very big golden finger to make him overcome this horde of never ending enemies. I think it would be better if you write a story about long xue and use this prologue and recap long xue's journey from nowhere to uptil now where she has become really powerful and overcomes everyone.

dvces likes this.
  10. dvces

dvces Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link

Hehe, The MC will slowly discover his background and family over time, however, the MC's mother is the catalyst for EVERYTHING to start off correctly.
    you will completely understand why
    the 'mother' will re-appear in the next 100 chapters but not how you are thinking AT ALL.

i dont wanna spoil the plot
    but you both will understand and be like 'it all clicks'
    if you really want to know just start a conversation w me and ill explain it to.

also, thank you for the constructive criticism, having both of your perspectives really helps.

11. Halcyon Observer

Halcyon Observer Full stop

Reading List:
    Link
    Twenty-five chapters a week, that's three to four chapters on average per day, if you plan to write and upload every day. That's an extremely ambitious goal, and this seems to be the first novel you write.

A word of caution should you choose to pursue that goal: it is likely to affect your writing, and by all means in no ways positive.
    Mass producing content is going to degrade the quality of your story, especially if you do not write fast or already have little time to spare. Writing itself is only a half-step. If you neither formulate an outline/storyboard of your novel nor allot time to edit and revise your manuscript, you will only be uploading rough drafts that may or may not hurt you in future chapters.

I do not know how long you plan to make a chapter, whether you have or have not set yourself with a "Word Count" goal in mind. But set it too long, and again, you may be pressed for time. Without fully knowing the general direction of the chapter, arc, and novel you write, your characters will stray from their task. If someone were to start reading your novel, jump a number of chapters, and not miss out on any vital information pertaining to the story, you basically have written filler and should ask yourself how you plan to tie your characters back to the main storyline.

Additionally, excessive writing with no breaks in between can lead to writer's block, arguably the biggest novel killer. It can demotivate writers, make writing feel like a burden, and dilute the content of further writings.

To summarize, I suggest you consider lowering that goal.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
    KhayDesu and Kefie like this.
  12. KhayDesu

KhayDesu ❀Rᴇᴀᴅιɴԍ Eɴтнusιᴀsт❀ | ★ᴅᴇsu~★ | ✿Loquᴀcιous✿『☕』

Reading List:
    Link
    Okay the premise is good but i can't help feel that the descriptions for Xue is a little worded a little bit weird (Im not saying its bad okay~~? all I'm saying is that the wording could be better and im suggesting some alternatives)
    ~

~
    a beauty with a soul-stirring perfect voluptuous figure that makes both Celestials and Devils weep

"A soul-stirring beauty with a perfect voluptuous body that make Devils and Celestials alike weep "
    ~

okay this one is pretty weird at the part about the 'silky skin would produce dew' im pretty sure you could've used another expression though

Jade-like smooth skin that was soft yet firm to the touch,

Im a little undecided on the eyes part as idon't want to change it very much (cuz you know out of respect for the author and his/her preferences) so i'll put in different versions

and her sparkling golden eyes that stand out amidst her black hair and slim figure, emphasizing her beauty and allure.

Hahahaha~ i may have gotten overboard desu~~ anyways hope you find my suggestions helpful desu~ i was gonna do some more but i got lazy haha~ anyways good novel, though i feel like you need to work in your descriptions and needs to tone it down a bit, like using simple words to describe the things you want to describe without making it a bit overblown

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
    Kefie and dvces like this.
  13. Nightangle

Nightangle Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh i see you have something else in mind best of luck for your first novel..!!
    Ps. I hope that you keep in mind that long xue is not the mc so you have to take measures to ensure that more importance is given to the mc in the novel he shouldnt be a chick being carried by long xue throughout the novel he/she should have its own advantages too which would keep on increasing and overcome long xue one day. As we readers wont like that the mc is not at the pinnacle and is always one step behind his/her mother all the time you need to make valid scenarios to make the mc's progress being nor to drastic and not too slow.

Kefie likes this.
  14. KhayDesu

KhayDesu ❀Rᴇᴀᴅιɴԍ Eɴтнusιᴀsт❀ | ★ᴅᴇsu~★ | ✿Loquᴀcιous✿『☕』

Reading List:
    Link
    ~
    lol yeah~ it would seem like he's hiding under his mother's skirt and it'll be pretty uncomfortable and make it look like hat the mc is a NEEt

dvces likes this.
  15. dvces

dvces Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link

hehe, both of your worries are unfounded.

xue'er only establishes the background and plot of our MC.

she isnt re-introduced until WAAAAY later in the book.

He will be on his own, and with his beauties only. Possibly 1-2 actual comrades but, you will understand as you read :)

16. Sai55

Sai55 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link

Ahh I see I see. Then I shall wait patiently for the novel. Btw where will you upload it? Scribblehub? Royal Road? Or in the forum?

Edit: Just saw you already addressed that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.