Discussion Imperial Harems...

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Deleted member 310942, Apr 27, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deleted member 310942

Deleted member 310942 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I finally realized why those white lotuses and black bellied people in the Imperial Harems were so cruel and malicious. They were really pitiful. Deep down, they all knew that sooner or later, the Emperor's favor for them would wane. Soon he'd go to someone else and pamper her to the heavens, abandoning the other. He is their lifeline, is he not? We can't blame them for wanting to live. Times were rough for women back then. Dang Emperors. If I ever transmigrate to ancient China, I'll overthrow the Emperor and become the sole and reigning Empress!

2. Bellilelly

Bellilelly Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean it’s always been a dog eat dog world... just more brutal when power and fame comes into play... sighsss

tbh if I ever transmigrated into whatever family that has power or even anyone in the palace whether it’s a eunuch or palace maid.... I don’t think I’ll be able to survive.... like what if I became a scapegoat for my master or was assigned a master that only cause trouble... sighsss

3. Bad Storm

Bad Storm no thought, head empty

Reading List:
    Link
    Let's just runaway! Me too, I don't think I'll even make the effort to compete with people in the imperial harem.

4. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    there was a cruel empress on china history tho, wuxiang? wujian? meh~
    anyway, some emperor think with it dick so just take any women, other also political marriage hence position on harem is nasty, there also eunuch faction and those flies~
    you wanna throw emperor? you think it easy? just because of they technologically behind it doesn't mean they are idiot~

5. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly the best Imperial Harem novels are the ones that are the most realistic and most heart breaking. The ones about romantic fantasy just don't work for me because they just feel off. Unfortunately the good ones are just depressing reading so I skip the subgenre altogether; it's a bit too bad because it's one of the most realistic takes on combatitive harems out there. There a Imperial Harem peripheral books out there like "Bu Bu Jing Xin" and those can be really good.

6. Bellilelly

Bellilelly Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Actually I was watching “yanxi palace” c drama recently and I have to say it’s more or inner harem intrigue rather than falling in love, even more or harem intrigue than Bu bu jing xing imo

7. aintg

aintg Fairy Queen of the Demonic Sect

Reading List:
    Link
    I've read a historical novel called "Empress Orchid" back in middle school. Even for my innocent mind back then, I could understand how scary it was to live in the Palace. But even so, the parents still made a great effort with the purpose of gaining the Emperor's favor.

8. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've heard good things about it (which is amazing given that Yu Zheng is a hack). The problem for me is that I can't handle harem intrigue to begin with. There are two main issues for me: the first is that a show about a bunch of women fighting over a man doesn't appeal to me, at least not as the main plot. The other issue is that this kind of show leads itself to a very limited range of stories.

In comparison, "Bu Bu Jing Xin" takes place in an Imperial harem, but it's not a harem intrigue at all. Instead the story is about Imperial succession, and the emperor's wives play a very small role in it. Interestingly, this is the very first Chinese Romance novel I ever read and it's the main reason why I even give the Romance genre the time of day. It's too bad that most of the non-Tong Hua Romance novels are vastly inferior.

9. MidstNost

MidstNost 【 Reigen's Saltshaker 】【 Lingtian Raider 】

Reading List:
    Link
    True, that's why I hate imperial harem novels. Not to mention the pitiful women, almost all ML only think with their lower bodies. I'd like it more if there were more novels about women overthrowing the male emperor and becoming the sole empress.

Deleted member 310942 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.