Spoiler My Wife is back

Discussion in 'Spoilers' started by Deleted member 262282, Oct 3, 2020.

1. emilyfxv

emilyfxv Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh, thank you! I sincerely just wanted to share because I liked the premise of this story and enjoyed reading it. I'm just glad there are others who feel the same.

What I like about it (compared with the MLs from positively yours and business proposal) is that they hit the nail on the head with the outwardly cold, business-like CEO. So much so that in the manhwa many perceive him as a plain jerk. It'll be so hard to emphathize with him without his backstory and without looking at his internal motivations and conflicts. He wasn't expressive in the beginning and just got things done without much flair. Gradually though, as the story progressed, he opened himself up and that ultimately made his relationship with the FL a lot better.

The novel did that well and it was just great to read. I found that lacking in the other stories where the MLs, although they have moments of doubt, are portrayed as confident and self-assured. Their emotional journeys are also fairly quickly resolved.

I also like the FL here because she's practical, and quite emotionally distant too in the beginning. When she decided she was done being her family's pawn, she went ahead and divorced the ML and just up and left her father's family. She did what needed to be done for her job, and when there was trouble because of their relationship, she was willing to suffer alone for the option that will give them the least complicated, albeit painful, resolution. She's honest and business-like, similar with the ML too. She's upfront and didn't have to resort to lies or silly pretentions.

Their characters are mature and plainly acted that way. The drama is in the situations they found themselves in and not because they're dramatic.

And did I mention I like the premise? LOL. Two people in a marriage borne out of business. Throughout their first marriage they held no romantic views about their relationship. It wasn't until they separated and saw each other again that they realized the thing between them. It's a nice story.

Meleee, noirschwarz, ecaayu and 3 others like this.
  2. cupboardbee

cupboardbee Not Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    oh I think I know what you mean, because I didn't find myself going "??why did you do that?? huh¿" when conflicts happened and they made decisions lol
    im terrible in expression sorry, and yes I do like the Fl here too, what a great pair

Is the manhwa adaptation doing good in following the novel or have they missed a few scenes, cute details or something?

Fenrironcrac likes this.
  3. emilyfxv

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, so far, I think the manhwa is following the novel well. Things are much clearer in the novel, of course, since it has the inner monologues for characters. The manhwa is limited in that regard, but that's a challenge of the medium generally.

The raw manhwa is at chapter 68 now and is nearing the novel's end, what happens next is

-The board meeting, where they will decide whether Muwon should remain as CEO of the Department Store, will be interrupted by an emergency. The Chairman, Muwon's father, will be rushed to the hospital. Muwon will find out that his father has a brain tumor and he will have to make a decision with him on whether he will have the surgery, which has less than 20 % chance of success. He will walk out of the hospital after finding that out.
    -Yurae will meet with Doyun to say sorry, thank you, and good bye. After that, she will receive a call from the Choi's family secretary who will loop her in on the Chairman's illness. The secretary will ask her where Muwon is, as he cannot be located after he walked out. Yurae will conclude that Muwon will probably be in Hannamdong (his mother's house and the house where they lived in when they were married) . She will get the key to that house and go there.
    -Yurae will find Muwon in the basement of their Hannamdong house. She will sse that his hand is bleeding as he had been boxing to release his emotions. They will talk and he will tell her about his relationship with his father. Yurae will soothe him and tell him that she is envious of him because at least he gets to find out about his father's condition and make a decision with him before it's too late, unlike her who didn't have that chance with her mother. She will treat Muwon's hands, join him in the bath, and wash his hair for him because his wounded hands cannot get wet. She'll remind him that he did the same for her before (washed her hair) when they were married and she injured her hand. Muwon will admit that he's scared about his father's situation, and Yurae will reassure him that it's okay to be afraid but he's not going to be alone anymore because she's there with him.
    - Muwon will call a truce with his Aunt regarding their business situation (the board meeting etc). He will come to an agreement with her, where he'll return the Department Store to her and Muwon will return to their conglomerate's headquarters to take over his father's duties. He will tell her that he'll marry Yurae.
    -After that, there'll be a time jump. It's their wedding day. The Chairman's surgery was successful although he is still in rehab and progressing slowly so he can't attend the wedding. Yurae will faint before the ceremony and Muwon will ask her if she really wants to marry again, as she has the same symptoms when she wanted to divorce. She'll reply that it's not like that and she wants to get married again. The Doctor who's in the venue will asl Yurae when her last period was and will suggest that she is likely pregnant. She will then tale a pregnancy test, which will be positive. She will ask Muwon how he feels about them having a child, and he will respond that he is afraid because of what happened to his mother who died due to childbirth. Yurae will reassure him that they'll do it well and will be together through it. After that, they'll go back to the ceremony and get married.
    - Epilogue is them finding out that Yurae is pregnant with their second child.
    - Side story #1 is during their first marriage. It's Yurae's birthday and Muwon will come back early from his business trip to be with her. He will take her shopping, see a random man talking to her at the department store, and realize he's jealous and possessive for the first time in his life. They immediately have sex when they return home from shopping.
    -Side story #2 is their second honeymoon. They will realize that they haven't had much time with each other because of their kids, so they will go to Dubai for a second honeymoon.
    And that's the end of it.

Scapezz, RakaSarkar, saphhh and 18 others like this.
  4. Liliss

Liliss Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So my questions are more about what people knew throughout the story and then some details of the storyline
    1- I know he found out about her dark and sad past after they got together the second time. Did he know about his own family’s treatment of her?!
    2- The father... did he know about how his daughter was being treated at home? If so did he do anything? did the father really dismiss paying for the mother’s surgery and left her just die while pushing for her wedding?
    3-What happened to father and stepmother after the brother was caught?
    4- was she the illegitimate child of the father, from divorce or the other way around? (Father cheated on the mother with the stepmom)
    5- what will happen for her career wise?!

5. emilyfxv

Reading List:
    Link
    1. Yes, to some extent. He knew his aunt (I think her name was Ms. Yun) took Yurae to socialize with wives of other businessmen, but Yurae didn't complain or said anything to him about this, as they weren't really open with each other before. He just saw it for himself when they were preparing for the memorial for his uncle, where Yurae accidentally hurt her hand. After that, he told the aunt off for what she did.
    2. Yes, if I remember correctly that's part of the reason why he sent her to study in the US. For the most part, they tolerated Yuhyun's behaviour.
    3. Yurae's father served his time in prison and was released. His father and stepmom got divorced. I don't remember what happened to the stepmom after, but Yurae's relationship with his father was repaired. He moved away and lived quietly and visited Yurae and his grandchildren when he can.
    4. She's illegitimate but she is her father's only biological child. Yuhyun is the stepmom's son with another man. Her father was in a loving relationship with her mom before he was made to marry the stepmom because of family pressure.
    5. Before their wedding, she was still with the company she worked for. It was mentioned that she traveled to the US for business while they were preparing for the wedding. Afterwards, she worked in the department store under Ms. Yun. Their relationship got better too.

Tamyave, RakaSarkar, saphhh and 11 others like this.
  6. Liliss

Liliss Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks!!! I really don’t know what to think about the father! What about the father and mom’s surgery cost?

7. emilyfxv

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, it's not the cost that was the problem.
    He supported Yurae's mother financially without anyone's knowledge, but he knew about the mom's illness, and for some reason, concealed it from Yurae. It's like he went along with Yuhyun and the stepmom by being passive about it.

8. Liliss

Liliss Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I see! I asked because parts of story keep showing mc cries and says if she got the liver transplant and treatment ontime...

9. emilyfxv

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, she could've been her mom's donor. That was such a huge betrayal. I don't understand the father either, but he held a lot of guilt on his shoulders. He felt responsible and protective over Yuhyun because Yuhyun held him in high regard, but placing other's interests over her own daughter's welfare and over the life of the woman he supposedly love didn't make a lot of sense. It seemed like he was type to easily succumb to pressure, and he paid dearly for it. He allowed Yuhyun to run his business for him although he already knew his tendencies.

By the way, Yuhyun was notorious for being dirty and vicious in business even early on in Yurae and Muwon's arranged marriage. Muwon, on the other hand, was well-known for being strict and scary, but his business style is clean. He exerted some form of control over Yuhyun as his support was essential to the Lee's family's star road construction project which Yuhyun was leading at that time. He was angry at him and refused to give his consent to the things he did. Yurae's family even asked her to mediate between the two, but Yurae never intervened. Yuhyun ended up doing the atrocities he did surreptitiously. Muwon and Sungwon Construction didn't suffer much from the scandal because Muwon had cut him off. Yurae's father ended up taking the brunt of it. At the end of the story, the Lee family business went bankrupt.

RakaSarkar, saphhh, Faye30 and 3 others like this.
  10. Khadz

Khadz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There is this manager who makes FL's work hard because she is ex-wife of ML. She wants to marry ML and it seems her father has something to do with 2nd ML's father suiciding. She's really annoying.

What happens to her?

RakaSarkar and Liliss like this.
  11. Liliss

Liliss Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you mean the main manager who has a father who is the ml’s friend...I think she tries to get the mc’s brother involved and use his help to get rid of mc but he goes overboard... the ml gets there and save the fl and kick the brother out. Then the mc’s friend who likes her gets a record of the brother and that manager... he gives it to ml. He start acting against the manager’s company like taking away their good contracts... so she is royally screwed ...

12. emilyfxv

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm posting one part of the first supplementary story. I did this a while back for my reading pleasure. Let me know if you'd like to read the rest, and I'll try to locate where I saved my file and post those as well. Some parts of this supplementary story may be uncomfortable to read, just keep in mind that (1) Their first marriage is a business arrangement so their marital relationship feels largely obligatory. This was more true for Yurae because she had nothing to gain personally from marrying Muwon (although the marriage did get her out of Seongbuk-dong), and (2) Yurae's trauma from her life in Seongbuk-dong was still fresh at this point, and she had her ways of coping to protect herself.

An uncomfortable silence hovered between the two women sitting side by side in the back seat of the luxury car. Mrs. Yun Eunmi
    [t/n: Muwon’s aunt] was first to break that silence:

“It’s a place where many educated ladies gather. You should behave well, Yurae.”

“Yes.”

“I will just say hello for the Department Store. Be nice to the ladies, so your background won’t come out later.”

“Yes.”

It was a day for volunteer work at the orphanage. They call it a “voluntary activity,” but in reality, it’s a social gathering for rich, married housewives who had nothing to do. Whenever one was scheduled, Eunmi would summon Yurae as if she was her secretary. That day was no exception. She called Yurae the night before and told her that today’s activity was kimjang [t/n: traditional process of preparing kimchi]. Kimjang for educated women who have never even prepared rice at home. At a glance, it felt like Eunmi was intent on getting Yurae into trouble.

“I heard that you play some golf. Did you learn it separately?”

“Yes, I learned it in America.”

“The matriarch of Seongbuk-dong [t/n: Yurae’s stepmom] is really impressive. She raised a child with no pedigree and made sure you learned everything. It’s fortunate that she didn’t let you drift off somewhere and let the family’s reputation down.”

Yurae would’ve said “Yes” like a machine as she always did, if she wasn’t uncertain whether to take the words as a compliment or as an insult. She taught herself to respond that way, so she wouldn’t be degraded further in Seongbuk-dong.

While she silently stared at her knees, Eunmi came up with a different topic.

“You know that there is not much I can do these days. You weren’t married into the family yet for last year’s ceremony, so I didn’t call you, but this year should be different. Don’t leave things to the family secretary, you should prepare things yourself.”

Eunmi was referring to the Jesa [t/n: memorial] for her late husband. It was a lavish ritual held every year in the main house in Pyeongchang-dong, and last year, Yurae was a mere attendee. Eunmi collapsed that year because Lee-won [t/n: Eunmi’s son] got married one week before the ritual. It’s unknown why Eunmi expects her nephew’s wife to prepare the Jesa. Still, Yurae calmly responded “Yes.”

Eunmi’s lips twisted in a sneer. Her nephew’s wife has a good reputation. It was a terrifying fact that Yurae has no defect in terms of education, appearance, and manners. Well, that’s why Muwon Choi, who’s known for having a difficult taste, chose her. Despite her origin, she’s pretty, plainly says “Yes,” and leaves no room for gaps in her answers.

“By the way, are you studying French?”

“No, I’m studying Chinese. I thought it would be more helpful…”

Eunmi knew Yurae was right, but she was looking for faults in her.

“Why are you learning Chinese? Are you in business? What if you can’t speak with the other daughters-in-law who all speak French? How are you going to talk to the ladies at social gatherings?”

“Sorry, I will study French quickly.”

“You should. An outsider has to do everything to be accepted into the inner circle. You’ve also been married for almost a year, is there any news about a child?”

“No.”

“Is there anything wrong with you?”

“No, that’s…”

Yurae stopped herself from answering. Muwon said he didn’t want a child, and she acceded. She didn’t want to put the burden of an unwanted birth on her child. However, she didn’t want anyone else to know their agreement, especially Mrs. Yun.

“Is Muwon having an affair?”

“No.”

Yurae calmly answered Eunmi’s straightforward and unpleasant question.

“He has no such thing.”

Even if he does, she wouldn’t hold it against him. They agreed that it didn’t matter whom the other meets with, as long as there are no rumors about it. However, she couldn’t accept the accusation that he was having an affair, given what she sees in him. He is terrifyingly single-minded in his work, and he simply has no time for anything else.

Besides, whenever Muwon came back after being away from home for business trips, he would always look for her. He is faithful to their marital relationship. Yurae doesn’t think he’s the type of man who has another woman out there satisfying his desires.

‘He’s coming back tomorrow evening.’ Muwon went on a business trip to Dubai a month ago for the completion of a shopping mall that Sungwon Construction was building. He had a lot of business trips even after they got married, but it was the first time that he was gone for a month. During that time, he only called her twice. His secretary gave her brief updates about him every two or three days.

Yurae had also been busy. She had often been called in to go to Pyeonchang-dong with the main family and Eunmi, so she hardly noticed that one month had already passed. Now, there’s only one day left before he comes back.

Yurae turned her gaze out of the window. There are two things that increased in proportion to the amount of time Muwon is away from home: the number of gifts he buys for her and the length of time he holds her in bed. She had body aches when he came back from a two-week trip. She couldn’t imagine what it would be like this time.

Last edited: May 8, 2021
  13. emilyfxv

Reading List:
    Link
    I've got them now. Will be breaking into several parts. A bit long though, so it may span several posts.

The orphanage, where volunteer activities are held, is run by a convent that receives large donations from Sungwon Department Store annually. A nun half-heartedly welcomed Eunmi and Yurae. There were already a number of wives by the time they arrived, but none of them wore clothes suitable for the kimjang. The activity would no doubt end with just a couple of cabbages and the ladies taking pictures while holding a bag.

Yurae changed into the working clothes she brought and started washing pickled cabbages with a few volunteers. After washing the cabbages for several hours, she soaked her hands in cold water until the tip of her nose turned red and her teeth were chattering with the cold. Her arms tingled while she worked on the radishes. After barely making the cabbage, fewer volunteers were left working with her.

“Madam, good job. We will do the rest. You can relax with the others.”

“I’m fine.” Yurae shook her head. She thought it was much better to make kimchi to feed the children than to join the ladies inside who were always pointlessly completing with each other.

One of the volunteers admired Yurae’s work. “You are really good. Do you make kimchi yourself at home?”

“No, I did it with my mom when I was younger…”

She realized her mistake when the words slipped out and immediately shut her lips.

“That is amazing. I thought the wife of a chaebol [t/n: Korean conglomerate] family wouldn’t have done things like these.”

Fortunately, the people around her took the story lightly. She discreetly sighed in relief. She remembered her days in Jumunjin [t/n: a rural town in South Korea]. During kimchi-making season, the villagers and mothers would gather in the yard to make kimchi, and Yurae would help with small errands or pick the cabbages. It’s a memory she cannot and should not tell anyone, that is, if she doesn’t want to tarnish her family name as her stepmom would tell her, or if she doesn’t want to expose her roots as Eunmi would say.

It was already dinner time when the kimchi-making activity ended. It was hard to tell if anyone else worked on the cabbages other than Yurae because by the time she was done, not one of the housewives were left. She had a late dinner while cleaning up with the volunteers. When she was finished with everything, the smell of salted vegetables emanated from her body. She wanted nothing else but to go home as fast as she could and soak in a hot bath.

When she arrived home, she opened the door directly without pressing the bell. The house was empty because the houseworkers were given a vacation and would be taking their break until today. It should be empty.

Yurae stopped on her tracks by the door. There were lights in the house where it should be dark. She saw expensive shoes neatly placed on the porch. ‘Can it be?’

She went inside hastily. Sounds were coming from the kitchen, and in there, she saw the back of a man wearing a bathrobe. “Muwon?”

He looked back at her after taking a bottle out of the refrigerator. That man, with thick eyebrows and a sharp exquisite nose, was definitely her husband. But wasn’t he supposed to return tomorrow evening?

Muwon opened his mouth as he uncapped the bottle of water. “You didn’t answer your phone.”

Yurae took out her cellphone from her bag. There were quite a few missed calls. “Oh. I’m sorry. Today was the volunteer activity with aunt*. I didn’t realize you called because I was working.” [*t/n: technically, keun eomoni, aunt in law or something like that. I don’t know how to translate, so I kept it simple.]

Muwon frowned as if he didn’t understand. “Working? What did you do there?”

“It was kimjang.”

“Kimjang? At Mrs. Yun’s meeting?”

He was surprised as if it didn’t make sense. Yurae had the same reaction when she found out about the activity. She opted to just change the topic. “When did you arrive?”

“About an hour ago.”

“I thought you’d be returning tomorrow…”

“I cut the trip short by one day.”

“I see. Did you stop by Pyeongchang-dong?”

“I came this way as soon as I got off the plane. I’m going to Pyeonchang-dong tomorrow. My luggage is still in the car. It looks like no one is home.”

“I told them to take a few days off. I didn’t know you were coming back today. I’ll just organize your luggage tomorrow.”

Muwon nodded while staring at her.

Why are you staring at me like that? Is something weird? Do I smell?

She began to speak to break off his gaze. “What about dinner? Should I prepare anything?”

“I already ate on the plane,” he said.

It was honestly good to hear that he had already eaten because Yurae didn’t want to lift a finger after the day’s activity. Still, she asked him one more time. “Would you like some fruit then?”

“No, don’t worry about it.” Muwon then sat on the living room sofa and turned on the news channel. He had also already taken a shower, so he didn’t need bath water either. Yurae quietly headed to the bedroom. Although she had changed out of her work clothes, she could still feel the sweat and salt in her body.

When she entered the bedroom, there was the usual box and a new bag standing out on her vanity. The bag was a first. The moment she saw it, she recognized the luxurious product that she was most envious of at one of the tea ceremonies she attended a few days ago. They said it could only be purchased after making a reservation and waiting for a few months.

The box had a diamond necklace and earrings. Yurae passed by without even thinking of touching them and went into the dressing room. Her jewelry box was already filled with jewelries he bought her since the beginning of their marriage. The only thing she was desperate for was a shower, which at that moment, was more important to her than any jewelry or bag in the world.

She placed the coat and sweatshirt she wore while making kimchi in a separate laundry basket. When she started to take off her blouse, she felt some movement behind her. It seemed like Muwon had come in.

14. quarantine is good

quarantine is good its august

Reading List:
    Link
    thanks for spoilers but there is something im still not getting, why are her eyes blue?

15. emilyfxv

Reading List:
    Link
    I have very low tolerance for mockery. This really offended me. I won't be posting anymore. Thanks.

16. quarantine is good

quarantine is good its august

Reading List:
    Link
    Wait, wait... i didnt mock you. Seriously, im sorry.
    I was really just asking why her eyes are blue, im sorry if i offended you

17. nanu00

nanu00 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for the spoilers dear

18. Heppo_panda

Heppo_panda New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Dear emilyfxv,
    I'm newly registered here because i like this novel and mahnwa so much. I love all your posts and spoilers and really hope you consider posting again. Please!!

emilyfxv likes this.
  19. natz

natz Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Were can i purchase the novel?

20. emilyfxv

Reading List:
    Link
    Google books. It's in Korean.

Note that this is liberally translated. Short and a little steamy, read at your own risk.

‘What’s going on?’
    Yurae met Muwon’s eye through his reflection in the mirror, as he leaned against the dressing room door. Her heart started beating fast at the intensity of his lust-filled gaze. She knew when he looked like that, and it was mainly in bed. Yurae tried to appear as casual as possible and began to speak.
    “Do you need something?”
    She was about to continue asking, when Muwon stepped up to her.
    “There is something I need.”
    Before she knew it, Muwon had already approached her and hugged her from behind. She blushed as she felt his warmth and hardness on her backside, and stared at his hand through the mirror as it made its way inside her half-opened blouse. His lips hovered teasingly near her earlobe.
    “I need you.”
    The sound of his whisper shook Yurae’s body. He turned her head to the side and started kissing her. She felt his excitement and desire as his tongue entered her mouth. Their gasps broke out as their tongues touched and Muwon’s hand stimulated the peaks of her chest. She felt the tips stiffen with each movement of his finger and she breathed faster. He slid his hand down and rolled her skirt up with urgency. The tingling sensation starting to spread between her legs brought her back to reality. She placed her hand on his chest and pushed him.
    “Wait,” she said.
    “Why?”
    “I don’t want it now.”
    A slight frown appeared on Muwon’s forehead.
    “Is it because of your period?”
    “No…The kimchi smell got on my body.”
    “Smell? I don’t mind.” He put his nose at the back of her neck. She shivered.
    “I also sweated a lot. I want to wash.”
    She couldn’t help but be nervous about making him feel annoyed or angry because of her response. In all their time together, she had never turned him down. But today, the discomfort in her body prevailed. Still, if he insists, she will follow him. Fortunately, Muwon merely nodded, without getting annoyed or angry. He took a step away from her with a face she couldn’t believe was very aroused until a while ago. As soon as there was distance between them, Yurae hurriedly closed her blouse through the collar.
    “Why are you wearing that again while washing?”
    “Ah.”
    She didn’t want to take her clothes off in front of him. Muwon laughed when she couldn’t come up with an answer.
    “Enjoy your shower.”

Liliss, nanu00, Heppo_panda and 6 others like this.