LCD Death Mage

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by lygarx, May 21, 2017.

1. Arha

Arha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't remember the exact chapter, but it's the scene where he sees Heinz and Selen for the first time in the Hartner duchy. He enters the adventurer guild and tries to apply and the guild receptionist goes Nope! and Heinz steps in. Van does an internal meltdown as he considers whether he could possibly kill Heinz and get away alive (he can't) and gets even angrier when he thinks about how public perception will actually be against him. "Forget your grudge, little boy, Heinz is a great hero and has done so much good for us. You should forgive him because he feels bad!" But Van is under no obligation to forgive Heinz just because people would want him to.

Shaman Ray likes this.
  2. CountryMage

CountryMage [XSanguine8] not my blood...

Reading List:
    Link
    What really aggravates things, is that Heinz and his group are monetizing the whole story of Darcia, like some scandal -tubers. Tragic heroes that were once duped into killing a single mom, and leaving her infant son to die in the wilderness.They will never do that again, they ditched the one member that is okay with working for the nobles, and now they only wipe out bandits, vampires, and entire villages that may or may not be guilty of harming some humans.

Shaman Ray likes this.
  3. Arha

Arha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Monetizing it? They aren't making money from this. You could argue that Heinz has a hero complex and he's using this as an excuse to feel better about himself - something I agree with, because he sure is quick to forgive himself and screw you if you, the injured party, haven't forgiven him as well - but I don't think he's making a profit off of it.

4. CountryMage

Reading List:
    Link
    In the sense that it lends him more credibility, and is why he got promoted early. Everywhere they go, that story gets repeated, at this point it's more about Heinz and Darcia, than it is about Van and Darcia, at least to the people.

5. xacual

xacual Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Pretty sure the story mentioned outright that it’s not even common knowledge that Heinz is the one that caught Darcia. At least he doesn’t say it when he tells the story. Thus story he tells with people is that he left Amid because he saw a dark elf mother of a dhampir caught and tortured to death. Which is what made him question his beliefs and decide to move to Orbaume and join the peaceful faction. The higher ups in the guild know since the request would be on Heinz record, but yeah he doesn’t openly tell the true story to anyone.
    Van actually threatens Heinz with telling Selen the true story.

Shaman Ray likes this.
  6. Arha

Arha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    He was B ranked when Darcia died, hit A rank because he happens to be pretty damn talented and has the divine protection of the biggest baddest god that isn't dead or taking a nap and then went to S rank after killing Ternecia. If anything is suspect in this chain of events I would say it's probably the fact that Ternecia was probably going to kill him at too high of a cost to herself and thus had to flee, where Van took over the battle and then Heinz just happened to deal the killing blow.

I mean, there are certainly some ethical concerns with the way he's lying about how involved he was with Darcia's death but I don't think he personally profited from his crusade, at least not in the way people would usually think of it.

Shaman Ray likes this.
  7. Bielt

Bielt 『Planets Eater』『The Sin of Animosity』

Reading List:
    Link
    Man, just look at the other higher rank adventurers the story shows.
    Sure both Schneider and Randolph have tons of people trying to butter them up, but there is absolutely no one parading wherever they pass

While Heinz literally has a caravan of people following him wherever he goes, that is because the peaceful faction is pushing him up and using his story of being someone who couldn't agree with discrimination to gain influence.

So he literally profited a lot of Fame and influence that even a S rank adventurer doesn't really have and also gained a whole religious/political faction full support through Van and Darcia story.

He may not be directly selling the story but he surely is accepting people throwing resources at him without saying that HE was the person who captured the innocent woman and sent her to death

8. Arha

Arha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, because Heinz is a Guider. It's the same reason why Van is so popular. They have supernatural charm. Also, for that to be considered profiteering, he would have to be, you know, profiting from that influence and fame.

Shaman Ray likes this.
  9. Bielt

Reading List:
    Link
    Which he literally is
    Do you really think he isn't using all the network the peaceful faction is giving him? Or how they are sending people to tend to his needs even getting strong people to protect his adopted daughter while he is away?, how they are swinging their weight around so that no noble hinders his adventurer job?

10. Arha

Arha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh no, that monster, he is using his transnational influence to try to make the world a better place and hire babysitters for his daughter.

that scumbag

how dare he

lohwengk likes this.
  11. Bielt

Reading List:
    Link
    If you don't have an argument then don't try to make who has a joke

12. Arha

Arha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Okay, since humor is banned, I'll just give the dictionary definition of profiteer.

noun
    a person who seeks or exacts exorbitant profits, especially through the sale of scarce or rationed goods.

And from a different site

: one who makes what is considered an unreasonable profit especially on the sale of essential goods during times of emergency

So he is not a profiteer because he is not profiting, especially not to an exorbitant or unreasonable level.

13. Bielt

Reading List:
    Link
    And you still didn't give 1 single example on how he isn't profiting from the game/influence be gained or a single stance of him refusing to use it

Go on~
    I gave 3 examples, why can't you give 1?

14. Eddy andres

Eddy andres Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You didn't have to delete it, at the end of the day, we may not agree 100%, but we all have the right to give our opinion and interpretation, at most, the Heinz issue is a sensitive issue, on the one hand, there are many people who try to unnecessarily force Heinz as a villain. When he is not, he is an antagonist who has done both good and bad things, but it must also be admitted, that although Heinz's actions have brought Lambda a lot of good, they have been mostly third-party actions, I know that I am underestimating a lot the effort that Heinz made to reach the center of the faction and that people like him, who have the strength and decide to try it are few, but at the end of the day, everything is half, because on the one hand Heinz only acts as a figure , while relying on the actions of the faction to improve Lambda, but the faction itself has too passive a way of acting. but I say it again, the world is better with them, but it is because they give the opportunity to third parties to apply the change, which in itself is something to respect.

but you also have to admit that every time people talk about the good he did to the races, they refer to selen, but hardly anyone else, and maybe he did, but that is in contrast to the fact that we have heard of him destroying organizations of race of life supposedly criminal (although that is to comply with the law, although it could be the case that they were innocent, they can also be guilty)

Shaman Ray likes this.
  15. Shaman Ray

Shaman Ray Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Murder does not require the person being killed to be innocent not even in your definition is it required. In your own words "murder, it has be both unjustifiable, and it has to either be deliberate or done out of indifference as to the consequences of the perpetrators actions.". With a simple googling I found three other definition for murder, let's take a look. On the Wikipedia page for murder (because I'm lazy) it says, "Murder is the unlawful killing of another human without justification or valid excuse, especially the unlawful killing of another human with malice aforethought.". On Merriam Webster they define murder as, "the crime of unlawfully killing a person especially with malice aforethought". The free dictionary similar to the others defines murder as, "The unlawful killing of another human being without justification or excuse.". When I look at all these definition including your own no where do I see that the person being killed is required to be an innocent person, I believe this decision to exclude any mention of the innocence mostly is because innocence can be subjective there for muddying the law. So, taking all of these definitions into account yes Van has committed at least 3 murders if the manga properly depicted Vans killing of the 3 hunters in the beginning of the story right. Van had no objectively justifiable reason to kill them. Them helping in your mothers capture which led to your mother's eventual death while tragic, is not a legally justifiable reason for killing people. Also I personally wouldn't really compare Van and Heinz's crimes because most of vans crimes aren't even related to killing people.

16. Arha

Arha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Because you can't prove a negative. All I can do is point out that you are using the word profiteering wrong in a way that is actually pretty amusing for me and makes me smile. Your argument is literally that his daughter has a babysitter, therefore he is a profiteering scumbag, and also that people like him and follow him around.

I stand by my arguments completely. I simply feel that it is growing increasingly difficult to stay relatively polite. I think I am failing at the moment.

Yeah, Heinz could definitely be doing better than he is. I simply take issue with the argument that he has done nothing at all.

So, hypothetical question. In the future, one of Thomas Palpapek's kids figures out who really killed dad and decides he wants revenge on Van come hell or high water. How does Van respond to this? The question occurred to me earlier and it interested me because it's a case of someone having a legitimate grievance against him that is very similar to his own against Palpapek.

lohwengk and Shaman Ray like this.
  17. Bielt

Reading List:
    Link
    Actually that is not my case and from what I am seeing also not the point the last 2 people who were posting against Heinz too

We aren't saying Heinz is evil, we are simply saying that he is not a good person much less the hero he thinks he is.
    He DID good things, but they are far from what they could have been of he was really a good person or a real idealistic person.

Much more than Van, Heinz is the one person with power, influce and opportunity to make some real change on Orbaume kingdom society, yet he doesn't, he focus on getting stronger (when he is already one of the strongest people in the continent) instead of trying to change society.
    In fact he let it slide of to the third plan, and doesn't do more than parade around and lend his image to the peaceful faction.

For me, he is basically the person who had everything to really be a great person at same level of Gandi but he simply doesn't, because instead of trying to be what he can, he is just focused on his own wishes. It make him appear that the only reason why he even started to support the peaceful faction was because of guilty and not really because he believes in them and whenever he can slide his faults off without changing his believes he does.

DarkZealot likes this.
  18. KageTokage

KageTokage Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    While Heinz is benefitting from the story of Darcia and the young dhampir girl, the Peaceful faction are the true winners. Heinz, as Alda's chosen, was already destined to be popular.

What's going on here is politics. The Peaceful faction saw a way to increase their power through Heinz and Dhampirs, so they took it.

Heinz is the current chosen of Alda -> So, he will naturally be popular with Alda's believers.
    Heinz's beliefs are inline with the Peaceful faction -> So, the semi-unpopular Peaceful faction is also going to receive a popularity boost.
    ------------------------------------------------------------Up to here, this had nothing to do with Darcia. However:----------------------------------------------------------
    Heinz takes into custody a dhampir girl to soothe his guilt -> Nobles, who want to make a connection with Alda's chosen, take notice. ->
    The Peaceful faction, who want to get closer to the wealthy nobles, inquire about Heinz's actions.
    Heinz explains about Darcia and how it made him change to the Peaceful faction -> The Peaceful faction see the opportunity to spread it as a sob story to make lots of cash:blob_nuffies::blob_nuffies::blob_nuffies:.

If it wouldn't offend Heinz, I can totally see the Peaceful faction spreading that the killed dark elf was Heinz's potential lover. Just to give the story that extra oomph to it. What's important to the Peaceful faction isn't how much of it is true, just that it 'actually happened'.

Nobody cares about the dhampir girl, except maybe the two new members of Heinz's group. Everybody else just wants to use her because of her ties with Heinz. Helping dhampirs is popular right now, but only as a trend... like top hats or ripped jeans.

Last edited: May 12, 2021
  19. Bielt

Reading List:
    Link
    *Smiles*
    I gave 3 different example of why he is gaining something out of his fame

Yet you only point out at the weakest of them without answering any of my further questions.

For me it appears like someone who doesn't have an argument so instead he is trying to prove himself by disqualifying the other person

It could be amusing if it wasn't ugly and small

Last edited: May 12, 2021
  20. CountryMage

Reading List:
    Link
    You're the only one using the term profiteer, you don't need to be a profiteer to profit from something you didn't earn.

Heinz also isn't one of the strongest people on the continent, he's one of the strongest, most approachable people, since real S-ranks are all eccentric weirdos. The fact that he's been rescued a couple times, by accident, by Van or his associates shows that he wasn't qualified for the A-rank to begin with.

Shaman Ray likes this.