please share how to keep inspiration

Discussion in 'Author Discussions' started by gomezcarsonk, May 14, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gomezcarsonk

gomezcarsonk Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hey!
    I already started and threw my novels several times already because I was losing inspiration
    and every time if I want to write again, then this is necessarily a new story, I do not want to continue the old one
    please share how not to lose the mood and inspiration and how to find what is really "your story"
    Thanks!

2. juniorjawz

juniorjawz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just make random short stories. Something with a defined start and end. You can grow from there.

Write 200 words, then write 2000 words and keep it up until you have written a novel. You will find yourself taking some of those short stories you made, improve it and weave it into your full novel.

3. kfahad

kfahad 『The Lurker Beast』『Beast fallen』

Reading List:
    Link
    You travel the around the world.. xD

4. Shiki

Shiki Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Keep working? just focus on refining your basics and increase your experience. https://sourcesofinsight.com/dont-wait-for-inspiration-7/

AliceShiki, gomezcarsonk and Furnace like this.
  5. Juju48

Juju48 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If short is what it takes to keep your interest, then write short stuff. Leave the long stuff for later, or someone else. Keep it fun. Having it be interesting and fulfilling for you is the most important thing.

gomezcarsonk and Furnace like this.
  6. SylviaViolet

SylviaViolet Toast to the ones that we lost on the way⚓️

Reading List:
    Link
    This helps me but I'm not sure if it would work for you.

Try to write down the outline of your ENTIRE story in about 5-6 pages before starting to properly write it. It usually helps if you have an idea where you are going to both make your story better and also to help you keep inspiration. If you write without an outline, what I've seen usually happens is that you lose interest in the "future" story that even you, the author, do not know of and honestly thinking of continuing to write without a visible end feels depressing.

Last edited: May 14, 2021
  7. Greater thunder

Greater thunder Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Write connected, yet independent short stories. Could be same world in/same time period in different places, or over generations, etc.

As a gap after being satisfied with short projects and wanting to trnasition into something longer. Build on the sense of continuity.

8. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    Drugs. :blobwoah:

gomezcarsonk likes this.
  9. Deleted member 318062

Deleted member 318062 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    0/10 - I do not reccomend.
    Got hospitalized for 2 weeks for eating 6 bottles of raw caffeine just to keep up w my deadline and some shii

10. Otakuromanticgirl

Otakuromanticgirl Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    When I was into writing, I wrote a oneshot to keep going because if I did wrote chaptered stories I will just stop the moment I am having a writer block. Practice makes perfect. You write what you want and how you want your novel goes. The thing that seemed easier to me is to write a oneshot since I can finish my story for just three hours. But, I once wrote a chaptered fanfic for competition and the word count is 10K. That's also got me going because I limited myself to write 2K words a chapter once a day. I found that when I am joining a competition that has a time limit, I can finish my story and my inspiration usually come from songs or my own experience in life or other people. Wishing you all the best.:blobpeek::blobokhand::aww:

11. Cutter Masterson

Cutter Masterson Well-Known Super-Soldier

Reading List:
    Link
    Some of my favorite authors have the same difficulties and they are well established writers. From what I gathered. They just follow their muse. Basically write what comes to you. No one said you can’t come back later. This is the path I would recommend.
    I wish you luck

12. Bad Storm

Bad Storm no thought, head empty

Reading List:
    Link
    I once read a book that said it takes lots of practice and concentrated efforts. Write daily, no matter how short.

13. Uselessdead23

Uselessdead23 〘Dead but alive at heart〙

Reading List:
    Link
    I usually take inspiration from other novels..
    That have the same kind of thing that I'm writing, and observed it, and take notes about the stuff that I will recycle later on in my story.
    Just don't create it from scratch.
    It's like art, find a reference.
    Find things that have some connection in your story, one way or another.

Don't force yourself if you're not in the mood.

If it's like that, then create short stories for now, edit it later, change and add things later on, and connect it to the others(other short stories)
    - like what they said.

gomezcarsonk, Furnace and Westeller like this.
  14. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    I tried to get that, but it wasn't legal over here. Instead at the time we had those little red bull shots of concentrated energy that came with a 'no more than 1' warning, took 4, workout supplement on top and my heart rate went to 180 at rest, no wonder they were pulled off the market lol.

15. Deleted member 318062

Deleted member 318062 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    000h yeah- that makes sense why i was hospitalized (0 -0)

16. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    I just plagiarize

gomezcarsonk and zetsuen_dark like this.
  17. Teadragon

Teadragon Book Wyrm

Reading List:
    Link
    The authors asked that question at panels usually said to ‘write anything and everything’. Basically forget about if it is ‘good’ or ‘bad’ or even connected. Try to just write enough words that they could be a novel. Then do it again and again and eventually you will have a novel length of connected words and can start thinking about editing.

Most people get so caught up in their edits they forget to write the story itself. That is why the first step is just to write. Even if you really want to go back and fix that bit, instead of really fixing it, you write out sentences of what you wanted to fix and why. This lets you keep writing.

Another thing a lot of writer’s said is that the way you become a writer is to ‘just write’, and for most people it takes writing at least a million words before you become a ‘good’ writer.

18. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You could try reading.

What's more inspiring than another author's work? ... What'd they do well that you really liked? What'd they do terribly? What cool ideas did they have? How would you have written this scene differently?

Probably helps if the stories are similar. E.g. if you were writing a LitRPG, reading a bunch of LitRPGs would probably help you get a feel for where you want to go with your own story. Though you can get plenty of ideas from other genres, too.

Other readers can be a source of inspiration, too. Find a novel you liked and look for reviews of it. Look for discussion. What excited people about the story? What ideas did they have while reading? What criticism did they have? ... I say a novel you liked, rather than your own novel, because some authors struggle to deal with reviews of their own work. Particularly negative reviews, and criticism. Instead of being the author, then, look for those discussions as just another reader.

gomezcarsonk and zetsuen_dark like this.
  19. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Once you breath in, hold your breath. This way you can keep your inspiration before your expiration.

Wait, were we talking about respiration? :ROFLMAO:

20. Li_lin

Li_lin Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I...listen to music :LOL:
    I cannot write without music, but I need to find the right one to be in the mood

gomezcarsonk likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.