Can harem worshippers and reverse-harem lovers co-exist?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Sutad Aatma, May 16, 2021.

?

What kind of novel do you read?

1. harem only

7 vote(s)
    11.3%
  2. reverse-harem banzai

3 vote(s)
    4.8%
  3. I swing both the ways

4 vote(s)
    6.5%
  4. Neither! We only stan true romance between two people

13 vote(s)
    21.0%
  5. Peh! Romance is trash

4 vote(s)
    6.5%
  6. Who cares as long as the plot is good ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

31 vote(s)
    50.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sutad Aatma

Sutad Aatma Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    We have two different types of harems. One with a male in the centre and other with a female in the centre, latter being reverse-harem.
    My question here is, do harem lovers love to read reverse harem too? Or are there any readers who hate one type of harem fervently but love the other type of harem.

2. PaladinWolf

PaladinWolf Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Let's just say their are some logistical problems with reverse-harems that make them unappetizing and too dysfunctional to work

3. suza751

suza751 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think I've ever seen a reverse harem series that actually went well, or that really made any sense. Not that it can't... rather i cannot recall any series off the top of my head where the author did well by the plot, setting, and characters to actually create a reverse harem that was palatable.
    In contrasts I've noticed that authors do better by normal harems and yuri harems. Though I can't say I've read very many yuri harems... but Demon Sword Maiden has one and that series is amazing. It makes a series as sexually suggestive as I'm willing to read with actually interesting plot and characters. By regular harems - there are so goddam many that some authors manage to make a few good ones. I always like the premise of a protagonist wanting a 1 true love. But finding himself indebted, attracted, and reliant on other women who he cannot just abandon. He recognizes that rejecting them is so much more wrong than taking a 2nd, 3rd, and nth lover. Rather accept the affection and deal with the consequences.

4. Delusion

Delusion Dark lord

Reading List:
    Link
    The reason why I prefer reading harems is because my ship does not sink. The same principle applies to reverse-harem as well.

As long as my ship sails, I don't care whether it is harem, reverse-harem, or pure romance

5. Uselessdead23

Uselessdead23 〘Dead but alive at heart〙

Reading List:
    Link
    I swing both ways.
    As long as it have sufficient reasons to have that kind of harem then I'm good.

6. Sutad Aatma

Sutad Aatma Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    but isn't it same with harem?

7. heartstampexpress

heartstampexpress Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've seen both done very well, and I think both are fun. I don't really like the sexual aspect of it, though, so my experience with harem content is admittedly limited. I prefer reading novels that aren't exactly focused on the harem itself more, it gets a bit too messy for my taste then. While I love romance, I think it needs time to develop that a lot of harem/reverse-harem novels simply don't or can't afford them, by nature. I'm a romanticist.

nyamachi likes this.
  8. PaladinWolf

Reading List:
    Link
    No not really at most the girls would just need to take turns at night they can even "help" each other out if they're willing without being too weird and one guy can impregnate multiple women easily whereas one woman can only be pregnant by one guy at a time it takes 9 months to give birth and real Men would definitely not be willing to help out one another let alone share a woman

Sabruness likes this.
  9. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    yes, why not? just because louder cat smack each other face it doesn't mean all cat like to smack each other~
    on story it kinda one popular pair with other popular~

10. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    Not a fan of harems, but not really a hater of them either since I wouldn't mind reading one if I actually find one that is well written.
    Personally I don't see a meaningful difference between harem or reverse-harem as far as romance goes, so we might as well throw a pansexual harem into the mix. lol

aShinyVaporeon and AliceShiki like this.
  11. Lissi

Lissi 『Queen of Lissidom』『Holy Chibi』『Western Birdy』『⚓』

Reading List:
    Link
    Em... I like reverse harems. I feel like they're typically used in romance stories, and I like the ones where all the male leads are capture targets or whatever. :blobsmilehappyeyes:

I don't like harems because I feel like they usually appear in cultivation novels and they get super big and there's more of a "collecting girls" feeling I tend to dislike. Not that I've read any, but yep, just my biased impression~ :blobsalt:

12. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    considering most reverse-harems usually are composed of morons thinking with their dicks after having had lobotomies, i'd argue that reverse-harems and harems can be very alike in the brainlessness that is unfortunately too common.

i see harem and reverse-harem fans like this meme(just replace furry with reverse-harem lover):
    [​IMG]

Sutad Aatma likes this.
  13. Goblin Sleuth

Goblin Sleuth Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah a fellow of science I see, ignoring everything else reproduction competition would be the main issue with a reverse harem. Of course there are possible solutions.
    1. It is actually one guy, but he has multiple unique personalities that he can switch between at will.
    2. The women is a catgirl and like real world cats can birth children from multiple fathers simultaneously.
    3. Everyone is immortal and measures time differently, so they have no problem waiting 100 years for their turn.
    4. The men of the harem can't reproduce due to being spirits, demons, monsters, robots, etc.
    5. No one in the harem wants to have children in the first place.

14. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    Harems and Reverse-harems are fine. I havent heard either side making a fuss. The only ones who cannot coexist are the ones who declare "harems are trash"

Fluffums likes this.
  15. Lissi

Lissi 『Queen of Lissidom』『Holy Chibi』『Western Birdy』『⚓』

Reading List:
    Link
    ....I don't read enough reverse harem to know what you're talking about, and I don't think I mentioned brainlessness anywhere in my post >.>;;

The ones I read are more like FL capturing romance targets with clever schemes and they used emotions, not R-18 ***. So, I don't think I quite agree with your post.

16. Shiroikaze42

Shiroikaze42 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just wanted to say I find it hilarious that you think heterosexual women "helping" each other isn't weird, but it's totally weird for "real men.":blobrofl:

Probably kind of side-topic, but I've never actually read a reverse-harem that reached a genuine "harem ending". Do these exist somewhere?

17. TiggerBane

TiggerBane Always asleep yep yep yep| Canidae lover

Reading List:
    Link
    So long as there is a gay pride parade they can get along pretty well.

18. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I haven't read any, but you could try searching the site for "Smut" with the "Reverse Harem" tag.

Otherwise your best bet is probably AO3 for smutty reverse harems.

19. PaladinWolf

Reading List:
    Link
    Have you seen how close straight girls can get with each other? They'll share clothes and underwear they generally have fewer issues with being naked around each other and touching each other and they'll even cuddle together when watching movies. Where as men don't like to even touch beyond a handshake or maybe a hug very rarely if they're very close friends so yes I believe women in a sexual relationship with a guy would have fewer issues with "helping" one another.

20. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Pretty sure most readers are fine with anything as long as they enjoy the characters and the plot.

Harem, reverse harem, one love interest, forever alone... All are fine, what matters more are how interesting the characters are.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.