LCD M E M O R I Z E

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by craBebe, Sep 23, 2016.

1. craBebe

craBebe Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Intellectually I understand, this is just a personal preference that has absolutely nothing to do with the reality of the world. It's like NTR, that shit happens all the time IRL, doesn't mean I have to enjoy reading it. It's the same as this situation, I just really don't like reading about people ruining things for the rest of the group, brainwashing people into believing the wrong things, and making a conscious effort to ruin things for everyone else.

I feel that my unpleasant reading experience could be remedied by simply offing the character that's making things unpleasant, hence my bitching, it has nothing to do with the reality of the situation, it's just my dislike of the author employing this plot device to create conflict. He could easily up the tension by bringing more zombies, or having them war with another group of survivors, or creating any number of disasters. He doesn't need to keep irritating people in the group, it makes for an unpleasant reading experience.

I realize he probably won't be around for too long, and the dude's basically got death flags tattooed all over his body, but that doesn't lessen my discomfort as I still have to read about him until his inevitable demise. Do you enjoy hearing him convince the rest of the group to go down the wrong path? I just don't like this plot device, and the reason I dislike Reincarnator is because the author uses it all the time. Yes, I realize that realistically it makes sense that every single human in this dystopian world is a selfish POS, yes I realize that it makes sense that they're always trying to undermine the MC, it's kill or be killed in this world. Doesn't mean I have to enjoy reading it. There are plenty of ways to go about creating an interesting story without having to constantly read about people plotting against the MC. I can take plotting in low doses, but it happens in Reincarnator at literally every. single. step. of the story. The MC is constantly being plotted against, it's exhausting. I understand the logic behind it, but this is a story, not the real world. The story can be written without the constant backstabbing and infighting, and it would make just as much sense.

Look at King of the Battlefield, or Terror Infinity, there is plotting and backstabbing, but it isn't constant, the author gives you a break by having other points of conflict and there aren't constant bystanders trying to fuck everything up. You can be given a breather as they go off to finish quests, or fight monsters, or find treasures, or level up, before the story comes back to infighting and backstabbing. You're given a chance to breathe.

I am bitching about the author's writing style, not the logic of the world. I worry about the future of Memorize because I am seeing the same trends in writing style, it has nothing to do with the logic of the situation, it is simply the fact that the author is employing plot devices I don't like to tell his story. I like the premise, I like the world, but I don't like some of the ways he's going about creating conflict.

There's also only 12 chapters thus far, so obviously speculation on my part is premature as the author hasn't even had time to develop any sort of style yet. This is just guess work on my part given what I've read so far, I'll continue reading, I just don't like the direction it's headed. I'm entitled to my tastes.

2. Vincent1873

Vincent1873 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Like I said before he's not ruining anything. He's not even trying to ruin anything. He's also not brainwashing them into believing the wrong things. Pretty much everything he's said is how the world works from now on. He's using the truth to put himself into a position of power. If he wasn't trying to gain power for himself there'd be nothing wrong with it.

I think it's more the pacing of the story that's the problem rather than the character. When the entire chapter is taking up with his yapping and the story doesn't progress then it's going annoying no matter what.

It's not necessarily the wrong path. It's just the wrong leader. Anyway I think that would lessen the story. What you're basically complaining about is other characters having their own goals and aspirations as opposed to being cookie cutter people. Everyone should work with each other harmoniously. That sounds terribly boring. Besides it's not exactly backstabbing and infighting if there are two different groups going at each other.

In King of the Battlefield the MC is a loner that doesn't trust anyone. He doesn't stay a part of any group long enough for scheming to happen. If he does then it's with an overwhelming strength advantage and they're relying on him for protection. If he decided to join a clan or guild you'd better believe there would be just as much scheming. In Terror Infinity their lives are directly tied to each other especially in team battles. It's in their best interest to work together. It's an unique situation where you're forced to live and fight together. The same political scheming as present in beginnings of both stories.

3. craBebe

Reading List:
    Link
    Like I said, I don't mind scheming, it just has to be in balance with the rest of the story. Even Game of Thrones isn't all betrayal all the time, it's all about striking that balance in methods of conflict. My issue with Reincarnator is that the entire story is completely lopsided, in every single event the MC takes part in, there are always schemers against him. Every time he gets an ally, that ally invariably backstabs him because he has trust issues, or just wants to prioritize his own agenda. My argument is that there needs to be some kind of break from that, after every resolved conflict of betrayal, within a couple chapters a new issue of betrayal always pops up and the reader has absolutely no chance to take a break.

Look at the conflict and scheming between Kwon and the MC in the alien arc towards the beginning of the story in TI. That was scheming done really well, it wasn't overbearing, it was completely understandable, it was essential to the plot, and it added to the story. That was betrayal and selfishness done well, you could understand the two differing points of view between the two parties and it was sympathetic. For Reincarnator it's mainly "every person is selfish to the point of stupidity." No one wants to follow the MC, everyone prefers the world where they can just kill everyone else to increase their power, and the notion of cooperation is so foreign, that whenever it does happen it inevitably breaks down because the author can't seem to come up with any other possible outcome. It's shallow, overwhelming, and cliche, the same plot scenarios have played out over and over that I find myself just counting the chapters until some person pops up looking to betray everyone else.

I'm getting the same vibes from Memorize, and the MC is smart enough to recognize these warning signs in one of the people in his group but doesn't do anything about it. He doesn't even have to kill the guy, but just letting this manipulation play out seems completely pointless. I get that the MC seems to be testing the group in some weird sense. However, I don't really understand why, it seems unnecessary and given his power level this kind of methodology is completely superfluous. I could understand this sort of thinking if any of these people presented any kind of threat, but at this point it's like he's watching children squabble for his own amusement rather than breaking things up, disciplining the bad kids, and moving things in a more constructive direction.

4. Vincent1873

Reading List:
    Link
    Except you're obviously exaggerating so that point falls flat. He's been betrayed by "allies" like twice. The guys bringing the clan to the Akaron temple were betraying the Akaron's not Hansoo. The Akaron scientist thought Hansoo would be okay with the plan. She never schemed against him. The guy who became king of the Orange Zone was scheming against the Akarons not Hansoo. The idea that Hansoo is constantly being betrayed isn't the reality of what's written. It's mainly the people that Hansoo randomly drags into things or temporary help that try to backstab and such.

Except you're clearly exaggerating to the point that your argument falls apart again. First of all Hansoo never states his goal. He never says that he's trying to save humanity or anything for people to rally behind him. Thus the idea that they would somehow know that he's trying to fix things and are just being selfish is absurd nonsense. They think he's out for himself at first as well. Next, there are plenty of people that agree to the new order. The vast majority of people in fact. When asked who will follow him into battle for no gain a massive army gathered. You seem to like interpreting stories in ways that you dislike so as to be able to complain.

It's pointless either way. I've already explained that nothing the guy does makes any difference. Do you care about the warning signs of it raining when you plan on staying inside? If I recall correctly then people only receive their power after they finish this trial. Thus if he shows that he already has power then it'll draw attention to himself from the powerful beings who have been in this world for a while. Drawing attention to himself is a thousand times more dangerous than whatever the thug could do. Besides when the goal is just surviving for a few days they don't actually need to be all that constructive.

5. craBebe

Reading List:
    Link
    Betraying his efforts, you're arguing semantics here. By going against the Akarons they were going against his intentions, because the Akaron/Human alliance was necessary for humanity's survival. The humans jacking that entire situation up was equivalent to going against Hansoo. Then the Akaron leader went ahead and messed things up by deciding she needed to be in control. Yes, it wasn't specifically a betrayal of him, but as the reader it might as well have been, as we're still reading about people ruining his overall purpose. This has been done repeatedly.

My argument doesn't have anything to do with the logic of the world, the author has written it this way so of course it makes sense logically, and given human nature this entire situation of course makes sense. I'm just arguing against the feeling that this type of writing evokes, I don't enjoy reading about betrayal after betrayal or thwarting after thwarting, call it what you will, no matter the method it still irks me as a reader. Even if it's just the bystanders doing what they naturally do, or the ignorant ruining everything Hansoo is working towards, the end result is an unenjoyable reading experience. Even if they're ignorant of his intentions, as the reader we're completely aware of what he's trying to do and him constantly being undermined gets incredibly old.

Obviously this writing style does not bother you, otherwise you wouldn't be arguing this so passionately. I guess that's where our tastes differ. I may not be specifically defining exactly what each character is doing as, honestly it's been a while since I read it so I can't recall specific points, I just know the feelings I've felt while reading it. I've read a ton of books, and this was one of the first series I've come across that frustrated me to this level, as pretty much every single character aside from the MC was unlikeable at one point or another. When the entire world is against you it just becomes exhausting to read.

6. Vincent1873

Reading List:
    Link
    That's not an argument of semantics at all when what you're complaining about is backstabbing and scheming. Accidentally conflicting with his secret goals is hardly a betrayal of Hansoo. The Orange Zone guy only made it as a defense at that. The Akaron leader didn't decide any such thing at all. The Akaron leader wanted to prepare her race to face the abyss as well instead of relying solely on humanity to protect them. Once again you seem to like interpreting things in a manner that lets you complain about it. His plans aren't being ruined so much as inconvenienced anyway. Hansoo is incredibly resourceful. Situations popping up to show that are a good thing. Don't they say that plans don't last after contact with the enemy? Would the story be nearly as good if everything went according to plan?

I'm not arguing the logic of the story. I'm arguing the frequency of such betrayals actually happening and if something actually counts as a betrayal. If a bystander tries to rob you then it's not betrayal since they're a random person. You seem to count anything that anyone who's not an enemy does that inconveniences Hansoo as a betrayal. In that way you seem to artfully interpret things in a way that will piss you off. You keep saying that Hansoo's plans are ruined time and again but he smoothly edits his plans on the spot and carries them out wonderfully regardless of attempts of interference.

I wouldn't be arguing so much if you were purely talking about opinion. But you keep saying things that seem objectively wrong. It's kind of like when people label any sort of situation where young people compete with each other as a tournament in MW or TMW and then complain about how many tournaments there are. Showing off at a birthday party? Tournament. Raiding a mystic realm? Tournament.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
  7. craBebe

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, they had fantastic fucking motives, but if Hansoo wasn't there they would have completely doomed both their races. To quote Jurassic Park, "Some of the worst tragedies in history have been done with the best intentions." Every persons motives are done with the best intentions, doesn't make them right. Stockpiling graphine is the worst possible thing you can do in those situations, messing around with that technology that doomed the race to begin with is a horrible idea. These people are making terrible decisions and I have to watch the trainwreck. Aren't there ways of creating disasters without me having to sit through people making horrible decisions? Hansoo can be equally resourceful when dealing with a natural disaster rather than a man-made one. I don't like that all the conflict is created through people making terrible decisions.

I'm probably using poor word choice as a blanket to describe some of these events, but I get the feeling you know the kind of events I'm describing. They may not be definite betrayal, but they're part of the same family, or at least that's my intent in my bitching. They're betraying mankind, lets put it that way. I'm talking about the events where people fuck things up because they're selfish, or stupid, or power hungry. There is no sympathetic reason on the part of the viewer for understanding their actions, for the most part these idiots just want to either watch the world burn because they can't be in charge, so they throw a tantrum that puts everyone in jeopardy. The sheer level of selfishness in that series is staggering. Look at the crazy mad queen bitch who took it upon herself to weed out the majority of humanity, was that really a necessary plot point? Couldn't they have just left it as the other races were doing the weeding, and that there wasn't some psycho human bitch fucking everyone else over for her own gain? Couldn't the mess that Hansoo has to clean up have been created by someone else, and not some selfish bastard? Because it seems like the only problems he runs into are the direct result of humanity, which sucks. I don't enjoy reading that, and I'm sure I'm not alone in this sentiment.

I'm also completely aware that Hansoo will fix the problem, he fixes everything, that's his job; it's just incredibly frustrating to constantly read about everyone doing their damndest to work against him or humanity in general.

That is my argument, that the author pretty much exclusively uses human selfishness as Hansoo's antagonist. Betrayal is just a part of that whole and it was poor word choice on my part to use that to describe the entire situation. I get the "reality" that people would be selfish in that situation, but at the same time it's a story, and the author can write whatever he wants. Try and sprinkle a couple fucking bright spots in so we don't have to constantly read about how garbage humanity is.

8. Vincent1873

Reading List:
    Link
    If Hansoo wasn't there their races were doomed regardless. Or rather the Akarons were doomed as new humans would pop up after the destruction. Discussing this doesn't even make sense if Hansoo wasn't there. They wouldn't be on the lion if Hansoo wasn't there to cure it. They wouldn't be able to fight off the army of machines if Hansoo wasn't there. There's nothing objectively wrong with the Orange King guy's action. The fact of the matter is that the existence of nuclear weapons are probably the main thing that stopped WW3 from breaking out. Both sides knew that a war would turn nuclear and a nuclear war would destroy them both. It's a deterrent. What were the odds of a mind reading monster popping up that could find the hidden graphine and force its way past all defenses? The Akaron's plan was much more reckless. Not because it was using the technology that doomed the race but because it was too unpredictable. Also to be fair the Orange King guy solved his own mess. The Akaron leader pulled her weight to clear up her mess as well. Not all of the choices made are terrible just because they cause conflict with Hansoo. Siding with the higher races? Sure. Using the machine even after Hansoo warned of the danger? Sure. Other choices are sometimes selfish, cowardly, or ambitious. They're not necessarily bad for the person themselves even if they're in conflict with what Hansoo wants.

The overhanging problem with that is that nobody but Hansoo actually knows about the danger. Since they don't know they'll be thrown into an us vs them situation, in the abyss, at the end of things, there's no reason not to play the game of thrones and fight for power. They don't know the world is burning in the first place so seizing the power to live comfortably in a weak zone seems perfectly reasonable to them. This is amusingly even more the case in King of the Battlefield. Humans were so busy fighting each other that the demons rolled right over them. Heck the assassination requests never slowed down until the end. You probably also hate most Chinese stories. Heck the only story I can recall of humans more or less pulling together under a threat would be Divine Throne.

The bright spots would be the humans that actually help Hansoo. Like the army that gathered to help when the Dark Cloud guy was rampaging.

9. Okuri Ookami

Okuri Ookami 'Chi Chi Chi' calls the Sparrow

Reading List:
    Link
    M E M O R I Z E
    by: 로유진
    A man who had lost everything.
    An almighty power, the [Zero Code] held within his hand.
    “Player Kim Su Hyun, do you truly wish to revert the time of Hall Plain?"
    “I want to go back 10 years. To that period when I first came here.”

Guy spent 10 yrs being forced to survive in an otherworldly game, after reaching the endgame he decides to start all over to try and save his lady love instead of getting out of the hell he's experienced for the last decade. Although he doesn't care about anything else but that his angel companion/guide isn't satisfied with only this as his reward and fights to get him some bonuses even after he returns to the past.

Right now we don't truly know how op the MC is but it's explained he could bus all of his team members to the finish line if he wanted to. The Mc is the most clever out of the return to the past Korean MC's I've read because he actively decided to assemble a team not dozens of missions after realizing he would have a much easier time if he had a team of people he knew. Not only that he hasn't shown any inclinations of reveling his op-ness at all. He just silently observed his team as they decided their roles and moved on. He didn't just decide to kill the other guy who'd ultimately get the team killed.

***************************************************​

I've been enjoying this story a lot and following it since it for awhile before it was dropped. I'm glad it's been picked back up as it has a great theme (though it's pretty much standard). Too early to comment on how early the overall theme feels like.

Latest Chapter Review: I've pretty much remember everyone in the current party except the lady who wants to be a police officer. I'm really worried about that Sol girl... she is a huge variable who seems to just want people to die because of her timid-ness and reactions to danger.

She is the same as the little girl from TKB but a 19 yr old coward totally different from the oh so adorable survivalist and lucky treasure in TKB. I don't know if I like her much. Other than that this chapter hasn't had much to comment on. Though it was funny when everyone started to pity the MC lol

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
    Luffy1996, Nyamsus and Raneday like this.
  10. Lantyne

Lantyne [Apathetic Syndrome Stage 5] [Incurable] [Doom]

Reading List:
    Link
    Too bad the translation was at snail pace. Hope the new TL would pick up the pace. At least twice a week is better than silence. Anyway, i wanna thank the previous TL and the new Group that pick it up!! And yeah i dislike that girl too.

11. Volix

Volix Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    How's the chapter quality?

12. GamingIce

GamingIce 『Holder of the Ring of Promise』『RPG Nerd』

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter quality is pretty good, you can tell a lot of hard work is put into the translation.
    I just saw it pop up on my reading list and I'm ready....
    Too bad I'll be busy til later....

Okuri Ookami likes this.
  13. Milanin

Milanin [Reader] [???] [Freeloader]

Reading List:
    Link
    Nishishi. That's what you get when you get trapped as a GM.

On another note...
    I pretty much forgot ALL the names... And was like 'who's that' 'who's this'... Took me a while into the chapter to get back into it...
    It was a good chapter, though it didn't progress too far

GamingIce likes this.
  14. Okuri Ookami

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter quality? If you're talking about writing style then it's well thought out, if you're talking spelling then if it was the last TL I'd have to say so-so. The new TL has a better grasp and the story has gone up.

15. Faust

Faust NUF Silent Ninham

Reading List:
    Link
    hmm i already forget this novel... dun remember who the MC when the last translated ch is up
    and still no action huh

16. Okuri Ookami

Reading List:
    Link
    No action as of yet but that's understandable since it's under 20 chapters released. There was an intense moment but that passed quickly.

Luffy1996 likes this.
  17. shuiko

shuiko Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've only heard good things from some of my friends who read this a while back?

TBH i disagree with anyone who says the 19-yearold gear Sol is bad for the story, when in reality it only open up the depth of the story. Lets be honest 95% of humans in that situation? Piss their pants, and probably would die. But with Sol her character has a chance to at least see growth, and change (not saying she will but she CAN).

MC's growth as a character will be limited due to the plot, so the character growth you would usually look for will come within his surroundings.

Anyway hope for more constant releases since this Korean can't ruff skim read it =/

Luffy1996 and Okuri Ookami like this.
  18. Okuri Ookami

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not saying she's bad for the story I'm just saying I find her annoying but I do have an attraction to the realism she brings. But her character has shallow depths as of yet. All we know is her name, her age, her brother, she's timid, has great senses/potential/luck, and she can't do anything without her brother's protection.... Her interactions have been non-existent even with the man who saved her life. It's just annoying.

I agree with you on everything, but the MC has at least some room to grow. It's not like he spent 50 yrs ahead of everyone and his emotions were possibly dulled by the death of the one he loved. We can possibly see some greater aspects in his emotional growth and weaknesses once she comes into the picture. That being said in this chapter alone his true character was revealed slightly. At least he's not one of those dull or bland emotionless machine MC's.

19. Okuri Ookami

Reading List:
    Link
    I knew that girl would be trouble... luckily she hasn't gotten anyone killed; yet.

20. Sosseres

Sosseres Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Interesting to see two groups working on this now after 2 months of no activity.

Seems MC really wants future companions and is willing to see past the current huge faults.