Recommendations Likeable, selfless, strong woman

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by aintg, May 26, 2021.

1. aintg

aintg Fairy Queen of the Demonic Sect

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm currently reading the English translation of "Love Destiny," a Thai novel, and I wonder if there's any JP/KR/CN novels similar to it.

It's about an overweight woman (which makes her think she's not necessarily attractive) who gets isekai'd into an enchantingly beautiful but evil aristocrat lady from the ancient kingdom. Being a professor of archaeology in the present time, she's more interested in exploring the ancient kingdom than making an appearance of herself, so the things she does are mostly to make merits for the evil ancient lady.

If there are any stories similar to it in any way, please recommend them to me. I'd like some strong, likeable, and selfless woman as the protagonist. Thank you!

Last edited: May 26, 2021
  2. Dizaster

Dizaster Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Camping here:blobpeek:

3. Daphne kook

Daphne kook Member

Reading List:
    Link
  4. aintg

Reading List:
    Link
  5. skillet

skillet Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Mmm, I do think most novels in my rec list Strong Heroine Romance Novels would be enjoyable for you (because strong and likeable non-Mary Sue heroines delight me too), but more specifically:

The Daybreak (the first one on my list) has a really sensible and strong heroine who knows what she's doing.
    Miss Appraiser and the Gallery Demon and Okoborehime to Entaku no Kishi are my go-to recommendations for strong, interesting, sensible and hard-working heroines (also on my list hah), so give them a try if you haven't! :)
    Albert Ke no Reijou wa Botsuraku wo go Shomou desu (okay they're all on my list ahaha) has a similarly strong, selfless heroine who's really likeable. Has good romance too! hehe
    (Selfless is a bit hard, since if they're too selfless they became those willy nilly frustrating heroines, but I'd say the heroines of the above are sympathetic/empathetic enough, not at all selfish.)

there's also a multitude of similar isekai stories on this site that have intelligent female leads as reincarnated villainesses, such as Common Sense of a Duke's Daughter (or smth), but it's been so long since I've read them that I'm not entirely too sure if I could recommend them. Hope this helped a bit! ^^

aintg likes this.
  6. Daphne kook

Daphne kook Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ahhh, actually she has a “traumatic” background. Also, she does have many weakness. She is not “Mary sue” kinda one as she is physically weaker and has temper issue.

7. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Mulan Has No Elder Brother
    This is a retelling of the Mulan story as depicted in the original poem and set in Northern Wei. Mulan is the biggest of the big ol' heroes so you'd be hard pressed to see anyone more selfless (or stronger) than her. Still I find that the biggest draw to this book is the setting as Northern Wei is very different from what anyone would imagine a Chinese empire to be like.

For a Prosperous World
    In this one, almost everything the protagonist does is to fulfill a promise made near the beginning of the story. And as this story is about an immortal living in a world filled with normal people, this is a promise that will take centuries of effort. What I particularly like about this book is that it has some very pleasant prose; stuff good enough that I'll go back and reread all the time.

aintg likes this.
  8. aintg

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you so much! I'll check all of them out!

I see. I should check it out, then. Thank you!

Thank you so much! I'll check them out!

skillet and Daphne kook like this.