help with weebly RSS feed

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by fallinghuayu, Jun 3, 2021.

1. fallinghuayu

fallinghuayu New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    hi guys! i'm relatively new to both translating and NU, but i recently started translating The Earth is Online and wanted to post it to NU to reach a wider audience.

that being said, my releases are not being automatically added to NU because my RSS feed is messed up somehow. i think the problem is that i post each chapter on a separate blog page, so then when i tag each blog post, it makes a separate category for each chapter.

here is the link to my site if anyone wants to take a look and see what i'm doing wrong: https:// fallinghuayutranslations.weebly. com (spaces because i can't post links)

is there any way i can fix this without having to totally restructure my site? i asked a staff member and they said that it was possible for NU to grab separate RSS links, but i haven't set up my site to do that, so i was wondering if i could just do that? of course, if i have to restructure, i'll do it, but it would just be a lot of work :(

(and before anyone asks, i chose weebly over wordpress because i was familiar with it since i'd run a few sites on it before. on the contrary, i have no experience with wordpress at all and didn't feel comfortable working with it, though now i'm thinking it might have been better lol)

thanks in advance!

2. Sutad Aatma

Sutad Aatma Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Have you tried putting them all in one category?

P.S if you want to join a group cause wordpress is too much of a hassle for you, feel free to send me a private message

3. fallinghuayu

fallinghuayu New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i tag each chapter with the same thing, which is 'The Earth is Online', but for some reason, it makes a separate category for each page :(

i think i might have a fix, which is to move all blog posts/chapters to one page and then just edit the links on NU :(

but ahhhh thank you for the offer! is the group specifically for non-wp users? or do i have to be using wp haha

4. KazeYuki

KazeYuki Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Edit: Opps, just read your previous post, you've already worked out the solution so you can just ignore me.

I've checked your site and yes, your problem is that you're making a new 'blog page' every time you post a chapter.

Chapter 2 for example:
    Link to new blog page: https://fallinghuayutranslations.weebly.com/chapter-2/
    Link to actual chapter (blog post): https://fallinghuayutranslations.weebly.com/chapter-2/the-earth-is-online-chapter-2

Each 'blog page' is an individual blog on the site and has it's own RSS feed - that is why the RSS feed isn't working for you (the chapters don't share the same RSS feed because they're not posted on the same blog).

If you want novelupdates to automatically add your chapters, you need to create only one 'blog page' and post your chapters only on that blog page. Don't create a new blog page every time.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2021
  5. fallinghuayu

fallinghuayu New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    yessss thank you for still helping me though!!!

do you think it would work if i posted a new chapter on one 'big blog page' and then post subsequent chapters on that page as well? for instance, if i make a new 'big blog page' for chapter 6, add that manually to NU, and post chapter 7 on the same 'big blog page', would chapter 7 be added automatically?

6. KazeYuki

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, that should work.
    You should also let a novelupdates staff member know the RSS feed address for that 'big blog page' so novelupdates will know that it should be grabbing from that RSS feed address. Once novelupdates knows which feed to grab from, the chapters should be added automatically.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2021
  7. fallinghuayu

fallinghuayu New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    okay, cool, thank you!! how would i let the staff member know? would it be through another forum post or through some other means?

8. Sutad Aatma

Sutad Aatma Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    P.S if you want to join a group cause wordpress is too much of a hassle for you, feel free to send me a private message
    the group is simply a place where you get your translation. the site is already set up. We will teach you how to post, it's literally copy post post. No need to make TOC, next chapter, previous chapter. It is all set up(y):blobmelt:

9. KazeYuki

Reading List:
    Link
  10. OverlyUnfriendly

OverlyUnfriendly Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Why don't you just use WordPress or something else?

Not many translators use weebly and for good reason.

11. fallinghuayu

fallinghuayu New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i think i addressed this in my original post but i have zero experience with wordpress but a lot of experience with weebly. by the time i realized just how much of a hassle weebly would be, it wasn't worth it to switch over anymore.

alright cool! i'll try that out if it doesn't start automatically updating in the next update :D

oohhhh i see. i think i'd like to keep posting my translations on my own for now but thank you for the offer!!