Does It Matter?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Yakinori, Jun 23, 2021.

Tags:
?

Have you ever failed in a class or subject?

1. Yes

18 vote(s)
    46.2%
  2. No

19 vote(s)
    48.7%
  3. Asdfghjklzxcbmoqwerty

9 vote(s)
    23.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ExcitableFoci

ExcitableFoci Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In Spain, 60% of the cut-off mark to university is made of the average grades you got throughout high school, and the remaining 40%, the marks you got from the entrance exams. So yeah, the marks you got during HS do matter here. Which, to me at least, seems like a better system than the one in China, Korea, or Japan where you gamble everything on the entrance exam.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
    otaku31 likes this.
  2. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    uni with max 4? iirc 3.5++ is cum laude?
    hmm depend on division err faculty stuff and bunch of other thing~
    3 is standard (this cat standard that is)
    2 is dood ..... did someone force you to faculty you actually dislike or something? is there personal problem so ya hard to study? that what this cat think about it~

reizleigh likes this.
  3. idlereader

idlereader 『Agentt's Aunt』『Don't touch the Flowersss!!!!』

Reading List:
    Link
    It depends on what career someone wants to take. Surely, to be a doctor/engineer/statistician..etc. you need to have a stable grade.

4. reizleigh

reizleigh Wicked Oni

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh in my country 1 is cum laude o_O

And 2 up is barely passing

5. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I like it depending all on the exam tbh.

I don't want teenagers to waste their time studying on anything other than the last year of High School... So I'd rather have them just need one exam to pass instead of HS grades of the last few years.

6. Lissi

Lissi 『Queen of Lissidom』『Holy Chibi』『Western Birdy』『⚓』

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, I think grades matter. Sure, you might not even remember them after you've already got a job and stuff, but GPA and class ranking is important for college applications imo.

For my school, grades are largely made up of homework grades. i.e. if your grades suck, you probably didn't do your homework.

The fact that the same people who didn't do their homework, and therefore got bad grades, are usually the one saying that "grades don't matter (and don't indicate how smart you are)" in my school makes them less credible imo.

otaku31 likes this.
  7. UnzipArka

UnzipArka Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Here in italy things are different. We can't fail in a specific subject, but we fail the whole year if we fail 3+ subjects, this means that you have to do the whole year again. In my first year of high school (Which in italy already has a sort of direction) I picked up an economic school. Later in the year i noticed that it really wasn't my type of thing and decided to simply fail the year and change school. Luckily this came to a good conclusion since i picked up a school with a graphic design direction and fell in love with: The school, professors and the people in the school. Now i'm a freelancer graphic designer who's looking for a safe job spot

8. ExcitableFoci

Reading List:
    Link
    Anyone with half a brain can cram in a few days/weeks all the contents of whatever subject the exam is about, passing and forgetting everything a few days later. But it doesn't mean that you actually sat down through the lessons and cared about what was taught. You are supposed to retain the knowledge lol. And what better way than to examine yourself of the knowledge over and over again?

Continuous assessment ftw bro
    https://www.researchgate.net/publication/Comparison_between_continuous_assessment_and_final_score
    The traditional examination measures cognitive aspects of learning while continuous assessment promotes learners' skills, knowledge, attitudes, and values.

School is supposed to educate the future members of society, no about making the best exam takers. That would be my opinion, I guess.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
  9. babybb

babybb Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah… so here’s a personal example.

I grew up with my grades being highly valued. Even in primary school, I’d get rewarded for good grades and shamed for bad ones— my parents even enrolled me in a “gifted kid” program at my school. As such, there was a lot of social isolation and ostracism. I wanted desperately to keep my grades up in middle school, then high school. My hard work paid off, and my grades allowed me to get the scholarships necessary for me to attend and pay for college. But, I missed out on my childhood in the process.

So, it’s really about what you value most. If you’re career-driven, obviously it would help to get good grades. If you prioritize social and mental wellbeing, don’t stress about them so much. In my opinion, as someone who used to be obsessed with them, it’s not worth it. I wish I had time to be a child, or even a teenager for that matter, because it really sucks the soul out of you. It’s hard to stop obsessing over it once you start, so if you’re going to focus on grades, at least give yourself time to grow and be a person first. It’ll be okay either way. Things work out, and there are a lot of paths to the same solution. Don’t worry about it so much, you’ll be fine.

10. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Fact is though, basically everything you learn at school is useless. It's pointless to try using the argument of retaining the knowledge or caring about what we were taught because that is all useless.
    Similarly, you educate people for society through classes, not through exams nor through the knowledge you give them. Most of it will be forgotten and won't be meaningful in any way, though the classes themselves can be used as ways to build up morals.

At the end of the day, Continuous Assessment just puts an extra pressure on the students and forces them to waste more time studying than necessary, as the end result will be the same either way. They'll learn a bunch of pointless things that they won't use in their lives and will forget most of it as soon as they enter uni.

Also, while it is definitely part of the school's job to build proper attitudes and values, the exams and grades have 0 correlation with those things. Whoever thinks otherwise is just fooling themselves.

11. ExcitableFoci

Reading List:
    Link
    I dunno what you studied in high school, but we got to choose the subjects pertaining to whatever career we planned to follow here.

otaku31 likes this.
  12. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Everything covered by the uni entrance exams and nothing else, because the job of HS isn't to teach you, but to get you inside uni.

In Elementary/Middle school classes were a bit more varied though... A bit~

13. Snowbun

Snowbun

Reading List:
    Link
    I believe it greatly depends on the educational system of your country and the doctrine of the school you attend.

I had the opportunity to attend a private institution that though it focused a lot of hours of cramming for the major university entrance exams, also had a curriculum of art, music, physical education and philosophy classes and included lab hours for science and computer classes. Which was unfortunately not the norm for public education in my home country. Because the fees were somehow high, grades were very important to me to maintain my scholarship all the way through from 1st grade to high school there. Having that in mind, and the fact that I passed the entrance exams on my first "real" try, I don't consider my school experience focusing on grades to be useless. After all, my 2nd and 3rd languages were all learned during that period of basic education.

Tbh, as a teacher, grades really don't matter much to me unless you're on the verge of failing due to incomplete work. They're mostly a metric to show the student if they're following up with the class or not. Also, the class didn't have any examinations, just weekly and monthly assignments and presentations.

14. reagents 11

reagents 11 disaster personified

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes and no. Spotless excellent grades would fast track you to good university and major of your choosing. So-so grades is necessary to advance into university at all whereas bad grades would close that paths for you.
    Grades isn't exactly absolute measurement of your success or future true but it'll make it a lot easier for you if you're only want secure, stabiles and less riskier career. If you're adventurous and laborious from the start then yes it doesn't really matter.

15. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    what the.... ah~
    is it similar with history Albert Einstein got F on mathematics?

16. Despapa69

Despapa69 Revered 17 Syllable Sage

Reading List:
    Link
    Only As are rewarded in my family. Sigh.

17. reagents 11

Reading List:
    Link
    False. From what i read Einstein has bad grade in schools because it's Catholic schools with strict religious indoctrination.

18. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    so the grade system still A is da best but he got F ?

19. reagents 11

Reading List:
    Link
    No rather the story is that he question their curriculum necessities and their subject of studies where they taught more about religion and less about the hard science.