Discussion Why do Mcs have such a hard time taking a life?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Deleted member 314196, Jul 12, 2021.

1. Deleted member 369806

Deleted member 369806 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Authors are human raised in modern society, it is not easy for a lot of them to just imagine what a person in a fantasy setting would behave, so they would apply their modern day values to their characters in someway whether intentionally or non intentionally to make the character more humanely "believable" as they (authors) see it

Jojo775 likes this.
  2. ongoingwhy

ongoingwhy Meat Pie Lover

Reading List:
    Link
    Demon lives matter. I agree with OP. If someone is fine with killing another sentient creature, killing a human shouldn't matter that much. If it does, it means that person is callous toward the lives of any creature that he/she doesn't consider their own kind.

3. Lissi

Lissi 『Queen of Lissidom』『Holy Chibi』『Western Birdy』『⚓』

Reading List:
    Link
    I disagree. People kill chickens and pigs and other animals all the time. Most people kill insects and mice and other such creatures, including me. That does not mean they'd be comfortable at all with killing fellow humans.

So it's a matter of perspective, as to whether demons would fall closer to the insects and mice scale, or the human scale. For me, demons, like the scary things that plague your dreams and stuff, are not humans.

4. Deleted member 314196

Deleted member 314196 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm, I don't see them that way... this might be rude to some, but I see those kind of people as nothing more than trash.

5. Lissi

Lissi 『Queen of Lissidom』『Holy Chibi』『Western Birdy』『⚓』

Reading List:
    Link
    So... I'm trash to you? >.>;;

6. Deleted member 314196

Reading List:
    Link
    No, I was referring to the attacking party (the people who threatens you life)
    I would never think of your holiness chibi loli as trash! (Useless you decide to harm another person without justification...)

All living beings have an instinct to protect themselves though... usually it means ending the life of the other party, this of course includes humans. So shouldn't it be an easy setting to fill? Even with modern society, your first instinct is to protect yourself at ALL costs when someone threatens your life.

But isn't most fantasy with good characters(heroes) has the objective of "killing" evil(demon lords)?

7. TypeFantasyHeart

TypeFantasyHeart Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Showing mercy to your enemies is being cruel to yourself and your allies.
    If you fight a person willing to kill you and you try to not do the same... you will die 7/10 even if that person is weaker than you. The difference is that person is willing to use 100% of their means to kill you, while you hold back.

Deleted member 314196 likes this.
  8. Gandire Alea

Gandire Alea [Wicked Awesome Translator]

Reading List:
    Link
    It's weirder that they are killing anything in general. Regardless of what it is, killing something for the first time can leave and impact on a person.

9. Effugium

Effugium [Investigator], Praise Shigure-sama

Reading List:
    Link
    Because killing is a hard thing to do for modern people. For me, even if the person i have to kill is a criminal, i don't know if i would be able to muster enough strength to kill. I think my body would probably subconciously hold back my strength except if it's a very dangerous situation. But it would probably be easy with a gun since i only have to pull the trigger.

Jojo775 likes this.
  10. Mnotia

Mnotia The Trash Man

Reading List:
    Link
    Gotta stop the edge train here.

MC's might be appalled to killing a "person" because you know.....ITS A FUCKING PERSON.

Edge lord shit like "well theyre were planning to kill you so just kill em". is something easy to say but can you seriously say to me that in a foreign world where laws are unknown to you that you'd be willing to kill a person you dont even know because that person tried to kill you.

If you thought "yea I kill em" i got you in a trap. That person was trying to kill you because his world has experienced literal hell fire because of corrupt evil world-travelers tha would rape and pillage. That person was willing to throw they're life away to save theyre world. You are the villain. you killing that person allows others to think "oh they killed a guy that was essentially trying to save the world. theyre fucking evil doers."

The "kill those that come to kill" idea is so fucking dumb.

Also, killing a fellow "person" is fucking cringe.0

Also, author writing "I killed them because they came for me" revenge type shit are only writing it for the edge lords that believe that they themselves would fair well in a different fucking world like on some one punch man type shit. You will literally get clapped by a fucking infant. I kid you not; you, a person that has never been in a fight and has only read stories online about violence will be beat by a child that lives in a world where monsters literally just spawn and fucking kill cause it can.

I hope one day an author makes a character that just humbles a lot of these fucking nerds.

I know that if i get sent to another world I would never kill another person and that I'd be weak as fuck compared to an average fucking child. Like if a zombie apocalypse happens i will literally kill myself. The fuck do I look like fighting fucking zombies.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2021
    Jojo775 and Llamadragon like this.
  11. Deleted member 314196

Reading List:
    Link
    Their problem not mine, that's unjust no matter how you look at it. Its like saying everyone who wears pink is evil because one group decided to do evil with pink as their color in the past. If that should be something justified then there is no problem with killing everyone in the world. And its just plain stupid to put the other person's circumstances first when you're the one threaten -_-

12. Lois.

Lois. ❲.❳ Wooosh.

Reading List:
    Link
    Because life in general or death in itself is quite held in a high regard. We normally aren't raised believing that life isn't worth living or that death is all life is about.

About the whole demon thing, it's pretty cliche but yes as long as the demon or humanoid has no humanistic feature or isn't a pretty, waifu-able or husband-able character killing them isn't really a big deal. Hypocritical and the auto selfish nature of us people is the reason for this all of the time. If put quite frankly killing a person is also well quite easy to do but unless you don't really place importance in a person's life the backfire really cripples you especially when it comes to the psychological or mental factors of the maincharacter as most humans would react.

Deleted member 314196 likes this.
  13. Han_Shuo

Han_Shuo Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I honestly think that the fact that the protagonist is HUMAN is no justification ... I mean ... fuck! humans have always fought in war, in the real world people have killed other humans because of a Facebook post.
    Inuyasha who is a half-demon, half-human and half-demon: this boy had no regards about killing hundreds of thousands of demons but instead it was difficult for him to kill humans. Part of him was demon, he killed them, but he never felt sad for them.
    And then there are a lot of demons that are aesthetically similar to humans but just have horns (fiction), but they are extremely similar to humans and often have feelings, so it makes no sense to compare them to animals for slaughter. Then there are people who worship dragon girls, but remember: dragons were the ones who brought destruction and death. Or Yue from Arifureta who is literally a vampire (an evil being who drinks blood) but no one talks about how he is some kind of evil being.
    The protagonists who do not kill evil humans just because they are human are just racist hypocrites.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2021
  14. Llamadragon

Llamadragon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Because watching people die is pretty horrifying to most people who aren't totally numb. Even if we ignore the fact that the average teen from Earth (which is like 50% of all the MC's who refuse to kill) would instinctually freeze on the spot just from hearing someones death cries, seeing death is, inevitably, to be reminded that you'll die.

There's an instinctual place in the human mind that tells you that there's no such thing as an individual death. There's just death. It's always with us, like a frozen sea we walk across, ocasionally swallowing someone when the ice breaks under their feet, and you get a glimpse of that dark unfathomable place while they go under. That sea is always there. And when you watch someone die, you're reminded of that. Even if it's someone you don't grieve.

It's a premonition of your own death that you'll have to stare at every time you watch the light go out in someone elses eyes. I suspect most killers have thought about whether they'll get killed in the same way. It would take very... special, individuals to not want to avoid that.

15. Jojo775

Jojo775 Honorary Algae Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    Other than a a wimpy JP MC or someone delusional about being Hero of Justice, it's still very difficult for normal people unless in a life or death situation. It's not about whether they deserve it a million times over or not, it's going from never having killed a rabbit to killing a human. Even worse if they have to use melee weapons or unarmed.
    You have characters that killed a lot of people, likeable antiheroes right, then if you follow a story you see how unhappy and haunted they are, they have nightmares and don't know how to act in peaceful civilization.

lol look at the chunnis in this thread, they'd slay thousands of people, devils, gods and budhas all who stood in their way!

That's not the same...
    Killing in self defense is fine even if it will screw you with authorities or whomever, but if it's not necessarry it should be avoided.
    You're not xianxia protagonist who kills one bandit, then more, then the cousin of the clan heir, then clan heir, then his father, then his grandfather, all the while powering up.
    Maybe you killed a Neo Nazi of Empire 88 in Worm, his fellow nazis saw you and now there is nowhere in the city where you'd be safe.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2021
  16. Mnotia

Mnotia The Trash Man

Reading List:
    Link
    I forgot to mention but theres a song that essentially summarizes why you shouldn't kill people. Its called Running Gun by Marty Robbins.

17. Kadmos1

Kadmos1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yet sometimes in those same series the manga-ka will have no problem showing fan service of the female characters!