Discussion I have an exercising question.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Cutter Masterson, Jul 12, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Cutter Masterson

Cutter Masterson Well-Known Super-Soldier

Reading List:
    Link
    Now I got to the gym Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I spend around 30min to 2hrs depending on classes or what I feel like doing. I usually push myself until I start to hurt or if I feel like I can’t do anymore.
    My question is.
    Should I go to the gym more often. I always thought rest between work outs is necessary, but I feel like I could do more.
    What do you guys think? Should I start working out all week long?
    Thanks in advance for all the help

Ai chan likes this.
  2. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No idea. Couch potato here. The closest I've been to a gym is the jungle gym. :blobcozy:

3. Lissi

Lissi 『Queen of Lissidom』『Holy Chibi』『Western Birdy』『⚓』

Reading List:
    Link
    Hm... I go to the gym for 0 hours a day 7 days a week. I don't think you need any more workouts tbh. :cookie:

otaku31 likes this.
  4. Maxlan

Maxlan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Cutter Masterson likes this.
  5. Despapa69

Despapa69 Revered 17 Syllable Sage

Reading List:
    Link
    3 times a week is good man. No need to do more. Or you can find a plan that you feel would suit you. I can't help with that.

Lurking likes this.
  6. kurisomething

kurisomething Reader

Reading List:
    Link
    honestly, unless one of us is a cardiologist, dietitian, or whatever medical professional specializes in health, this kinda question is outside our ability.

Lurking likes this.
  7. Cutter Masterson

Reading List:
    Link
  8. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You.. could. You're actually doing OK if it's 3 times a week. If you want to do more, you'll have to split by different groups or you'll injure yourself. For example, Day 1, upper body, Day 2 lower body, Day 3 upper etc etc then a day off on the weekends. Don't try to do the same body part 2 times in a row, you'll injure yourself.

9. reagents 11

reagents 11 disaster personified

Reading List:
    Link
    No you shouldn't unless you start feeling more fitter and energetic than before that your current training regime became too easy. Do not let your muscles or joints develop chronic pain. Those chronic pain can morph into something else later as you get older. Do proper stretches before and after exercises and dealt with the muscle pain until it's totally gone.

Lurking and Cutter Masterson like this.
  10. seife

seife Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not a doctor or a personal trainer, but you can visit the gym more times per week if you want, but you will have to work specific muscles in each of your visits, to give them enough time to recupate/heal and grow and not to injure them.

Working out is good, but your diet is more important, if you're hitting the gym and eating 10k empty calories, you aren't going to see any progress, eat big get big doesn't refer to this. Proper nutrition is the key. Like wise eating too little is a no-no too.

My advice is, take it slow, see if you like it or not and don't dive too hard otherwise you're going to quite without getting the full experience. Fitness isn't a short term long, it's a "life time" ride.

11. Fluffy Jellyfish

Fluffy Jellyfish 『Number 1 Lolicon under Heaven』

Reading List:
    Link
    I swear I first read the title as "I have an exorcising question" :sweating_profusely:

babybb and Cutter Masterson like this.
  12. Amaruna Myu

Amaruna Myu ugly squid dokja (●´∀`●)

Reading List:
    Link
    just laze and be couch potato:blobcozy::blobneet:
    I'm guessing you're built:blobpeek:

13. Cutter Masterson

Reading List:
    Link
    That’s a good one. Lol. Actually that’s not a bad post idea. Hmmmmmm

I hate to burst your bubble, but I’m not built. Lol. But I am hoping to look like Jason Mamoa from Aquaman in a few years. Hopefully it’s months. Lol

Amaruna Myu and Lurking like this.
  14. barberman

barberman Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you just started going to the gym 3days a week is plenty and good. If you want to do more id say try doing sports or some simple tabata exercise on days you feel you got too much energy.
    Focusing on what kind of exercise you do at the gym and how you do them is the most important thing in the early stages.
    김종국 GYM JONG KOOK <-- This guy got some nice tips for beginners on youtube. Its more of philosophical tips than do X exercise.
    Later on having 5-6-7 days a week is something you could do but your body needs to be ready for it, jumping headfirst only results in wear and tear instead.

15. Vanidor

Vanidor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's easy to overtrain no matter what routine you pick, everyone's recovery time is different. Following someone's routine without watching your own body's recovery rate is going to lead to slower results. If you want a simple test to see if your selected training is overtraining you:

Generally though I've noticed people who spend a lot of time in the gym per session get lower results. It's really hard to give every set your all for hours.

Better reps/sets >>>>>>>>> time spent as far as weight training goes.

If you still have lots of energy to do sets 2 hours into a workout, you are either an elite athelete/bodybuilder, or you didn't try hard enough at the start.

16. ExcitableFoci

ExcitableFoci Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends on what you want. Longer sessions train endurance rather than strength. If you want to get buffed or get faster gains, hypertrophy and strength training twice or thrice a week is the way to go. Skipping over the rest periods would turn detrimental to your muscle growth.

17. Cutter Masterson

Reading List:
    Link
    I’ve been at it since the beginning of this year. I can see some results, but I guess after see it. I kind of want more. I don’t want to be an Arnold Schwarzenegger, but Jason Mamoa does sound nice. I think I’ll continue my regiment, but focus more on my diet. Any suggestions on protein powders?

Lurking likes this.
  18. Deleted member 369806

Deleted member 369806 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Find a trainer to guide you, without one, your chances of destroying your muscles are higher than building any if do it alone

19. Cutter Masterson

Reading List:
    Link
    I could at the gym I was at, but their expensive. Spending $50 on me seems selfish. So paying for a trainer is out of the question. Maybe later. IDK. I’ll think about it. Which is funny considering how much I pay for shoes alone. Lol

20. Vanidor

Vanidor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's actually cheaper to get a trainers certificate than do more than a few sessions with a trainer. Generally in the range of $500-$1000, including course materials. That won't help people who need outside motivation though.

There's a ton of variables though, including some companies having their inhouse certificate system(in Canada the chain I worked at, Goodlife Fitness, has it's internal GLPT certificate but it's also heavily involved in the national CanFitPro).