Request Why Do You Like Slow Life Novels?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Wujigege, Jul 18, 2021.

1. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    As someone who owns a translation website, I want to understand my readers.
    Why do you like such novels? I recently saw a Pick up request for a novel with Slow Life in the title
    https://forum.novelupdates.com/threads/i-have-a-slow-life-in-a-different-world-i-wish.131316/

Please no trolls.

You can read Past Life Returner if you are bored.
    I will take this chance to announce that Past Life Returner will have more chapters and faster releases
    I recruited two new Korean translators. I probably need 10 more to get to the speed I want.
    So It is open season for Korean translators. If you "catch" any point them in my direction.
    I am open to paying a finder's fee.
    Cheers!
    Watched this drama back in 2020 but didn't really pay attention to this song until recently

Cutter Masterson, Cerene and thymee like this.
  2. Cerene

Cerene The Abandoned Woman

Reading List:
    Link
    Love the song.
    Thanks for sharing it.

Wujigege likes this.
  3. Walter vi Britannia

Walter vi Britannia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Slice of life is a popular genre, the people who like slice of life are probably the ones who would be interested in that.
    Personally I just don't like drama, so I end up leaning towards novels that suggest they don't have any in either the title or tags. Slow life in the title makes me think it'd be a dramaless chill read.

Dr_H_16, Fluffums, nyamachi and 2 others like this.
  4. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Bonnouji is a somewhat slow-life romance slice of life manga without the fantasy elements, and it's among my all time favourites. I'd go out on a limb and state the biggest draws of the slow-life genre are the ambience and the transformation of the mundane, the everyday, the humdrum into something heartwarming, cozy and wonderful. And it requires exceptional control of storytelling, great skill of execution, a beautiful imagination, superb characterization and a kindly view of humanity; something special— something that these amateur isekai writers deplorably lack despite their claims of their stories being mofu mofu, fluffy or whatever.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2021
  5. aienmoon

aienmoon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    for me it depends on the theme. i prefer the sitcom like theme or sometimes as long as its relateable. it's just like watching daily vlogs, i know that there wouldnt be any exciting things happening everyday but i still watch it because i can relate.

Wujigege likes this.
  6. Cutter Masterson

Cutter Masterson Well-Known Super-Soldier

Reading List:
    Link
    Often times I find myself. Saying why? Just why? Does everything have to happen all at once. After defeating the first problem. There should be a long slow nice time, but no. It’s wham bam thank you mam. I know the MC has trials to overcome, but it never gives the MC time to relax or prepare. I’m just saying. It is like the world (author) just want to see him break.
    Anyway. That’s why I like slow stories. I can see the growth and the upgrades in the MC life. I personally love seeing the MC build a home for himself.
    That’s how I am

Wujigege likes this.
  7. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    I have to agree with your points but I only enjoy slow life in dramas.
    I don't care for all these cop and detective , lawyer and other dramas that are so popular.
    Two people talking to each other akin to a bottle episode is a lot more interesting since we get character development instead of needless explosions or cookie cutter villains.

Maybe it is because isekai slow life novels are poorly written but I fall asleep reading them

Last edited: Jul 18, 2021
    otaku31 likes this.
  8. natsume142

natsume142 だが、断る

Reading List:
    Link
    slow life novel are great for me coz sometimes slow life/slice of life are kinda chill and relaxing to read. But, I do read action packed novel once in awhile.. just not all the times

Wujigege likes this.
  9. The Hamster Overlord

The Hamster Overlord Mad scientist/Revered wizard/Alleged antichrist

Reading List:
    Link
    Slow life is fun because a good slow life is filled with funny shenanigans and offers a story with low stakes but one that is very entertaining in and of itself.

10. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    the main victim is those who work to death... err so busy with work, tired of routine, too much pressure on work or thing like that~ by reading slow pace story people doing thing casually with seem no pressure~
    sometimes this cat prefer slow stuff cuz this cat surrounded by fast stuff~ it slowing down this cat mind, to appreciate simple thing~

11. sjmcc13

sjmcc13 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I grew up watching a lot of sitcoms that have a bit of a slow life feel, Golden Girls, Cheers, Threes Company, Whos the Boss, Leave it to Beaver, Bewitched, Are you Being Served, etc

Series do not need to be driven by action, or intrigue, as long as the characters are good.

I agree that most of what we see is lower quality, but it also feels like we just see a greater share of the bad that comes out of Japan as opposed to others (not certain about China, but so many Korea series seem to be ones the author is actively monetizing).
    Most of what we see from Japan is someone translating the free Web Novel, as opposed to the polished publication, which lowers the quality, as most of it is from the lowest section of their literature.

That and Japan tends to look for different things then North Americans, as there slow life is more a reaction to the pressure of their work lives, which means the appeal is lost on most North Americans.

Wujigege likes this.
  12. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd like to differentiate between "slice of life" and "slow life". On the surface they seem very similar and indeed, they approach the idea from different directions. "Slice of life" stories will take everyday events and express them in the most interesting and the boring stuff will be excised as much as possible. The idea behind "slow life" stories is that if it's something that happens, it will show up in the book. The goal of the former is to delight using the ordinary whereas the goal of the latter is to show the process.

I adore proper "slice of life" and other small stories because it's a good way to give the reader a look into the characters and their personalities, and because the depicted events can be inherently entertaining. On the other hand, I have yet to read any good "slow life" stories. The writers of these books don't seem to understand basic storytelling concepts so they end up as boring reads.

One of the easiest ways of illustrating this is by looking at the dialogue in these "slow life" books and comparing it to anything that's good.

13. Fluffums

Fluffums 【R-18 Researcher】【Seeker of Moe】

Reading List:
    Link
    There were a lot of posts I agree with here, but I'd also add that slow life is great filler reading material. Sometimes there are novels I want to read, but there aren't enough chapters in the arc and I don't want to read yet until I can at least reach a good stopping point. With slow life novels I can start reading anywhere and stop reading anywhere without that tension of not knowing what'll happen next.

The tension makes for a better novel overall, but when it's serialized I'm not even sure there will be a next chapter, so I appreciate the slow life stories for that as well as points other people made.

Wujigege likes this.
  14. Lil Iyana

Lil Iyana {Blink} {Army} {Once} {In love with cute animals}

Reading List:
    Link
    I dont like slow, I like normal~!

Wujigege likes this.
  15. yogesh12

yogesh12 Hater of Generic Novels

Reading List:
    Link
    I like novels thqt have actual plots and the slice of life is intended as q cushion between the events that happen in the novel. Invaders of Rokujouma is a good example pf slice of life acting as cushion between major battles and moments in the novel. There role is to heal the reader's fatigued mind after reading the battles. Jf they are any good.

Wujigege likes this.