Why I am Disillusioned With Anime

Discussion in 'Anime Discussion' started by Wujigege, Aug 14, 2021.

1. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Majority of anime are set in high school or have characters that are high school age.
    When I was 2 years older than the characters it was fine.
    Then I was 4 years, 6 years 8 years--- 20 years.
    The closer I get the 50 the more I am baffled that people still watch this stories who are older than I am.

I am grateful to anime. Thanks to anime/manga like City Hunter I accidentally discovered Korean dramas.
    It was a happy accident, Serendipity as an adulterous John Cusack and Kate Beckinsale showed all too well.

There are many excuses that people give but a flat chested 30 year old and a pre pubescent girl are not the same lol
    Over and out!

@otaku31 @Ishmael @Indiboy @Paps

2. Kemm

Kemm Custom title

Reading List:
    Link
    Your main issue is that you restrict your choices before compaining. Anime, like most japanese media, tends to have characters in the approximate age range of its intended viewers, with a handful of exceptions (mostly fantasy creatures and magical girls). Since anime is seen as a pastime for the youth, it's no wonder that a good chunk of them will have their characters school-aged, but when you take a good look, you can find many each season with characters between college and and their 40s.

Some examples this season would be How a Realist Hero Rebuilt the kingdom (MC was in college) or Meikyuu Black Company (mid-20s). MC in Tokyo Revengers has time-slipped 12 years to the past; similar with Bokutachi no Remake (bonus in that the branching point is actually college). Uramichi Oniisan is definitely not a high schooler. You have Rimuru from Slime and the characters from Kobayashi (a couple of kids, but those are mostly side stories). There are at least a couple more of which I am not sure, and even one whose MC is a literal cat! As long as you look for what you want, you are bound to find it.

reagents 11 and Mr Inanda like this.
  3. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Not really. There is a reason why you have a hard time listing 5.
    Gate Special Forces anime and the whole legal loli debate comes to mind.

I don't recall the character ages but I know there was an anime that is probably this that I watched with adult characters

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ai_Yori_Aoshi

It came out in 2002.

One Outs was nice but characters just get younger every year.

There is that fat baseball player anime though which I liked but it's the odd one out

https://www.anime-planet.com/anime/gurazeni-money-pitch

Last edited: Aug 14, 2021
  4. Nightlily

Nightlily Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    All the memorable anime for me have protags that are older then high school for the most part, Baccano, Gate, Berserk, One Punch Man, Fist of the North Star and Overlord being the first thoughts. Sure some of them are older but some are newer as well.

5. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    It's hard to locate newer ones.
    Long running anime like One Piece don't count.

Loli is big business.
    I accepted that I am not the target audience.

Can you imagine an anime with the female lead that's 32?

We have anime like Dragon Ball where the characters grew but others like Detective Conan that they stay kids even after 25 plus years

Last edited: Aug 14, 2021
  6. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    *sticks around for a discussion*

Yeah it's totally fair that you don't find anime interesting as you get older. Not going to complain about people who do find it interesting at your age though.

Wing0, aShinyVaporeon and Wujigege like this.
  7. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Another thing is that character do not age. Look at Detective Conan.
    At least in Dragon Ball, Goku went from a boy to a man

UnGrave likes this.
  8. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    Nah, they age. Sometimes backwards. Look at ash Ketchum lately.

reagents 11 and Wujigege like this.
  9. Mr Inanda

Mr Inanda Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's just that we got older. The biggest target audience for anime are male japanese school-aged kids, hence the infinitude of stories about 13~14 year old kids saving the world as a side job, while attending to school and club activities. Even Dragon Ball, Saint Seiya, Rurouni Kenshin and other nostalgic gems are anime for kids, it just so happen that we saw it as kids as well. There are some Seinen anime like Kemonozume, Tekkon Kinkreet, Tenshi no Tamago, Parasyte and so on, but you have to sift through a sh*t pile to find something worthwhile nowadays. Violence and ecchi are juvenile elements to the japanese morality, even though it may seem raunchy to the western sensibilities. But the truth is that the immense majority of anime, manga, light novels and japanese entertainment media are directed to kids.

Wing0 likes this.
  10. Kemm

Kemm Custom title

Reading List:
    Link
    The reason why I struggled to name 5 was mostly because I named only those that I watch and those whose argument I'm clear even if I don't watch them, restricted to this current season. Also I technically named 7. There are even growth stories, like Fumetsu no Anata e, that record the growth of the main character.

Even if we take that number 5 as definitive and forget about the ones I'm not sure about and the ones whose names you seem to have overlooked, 5 per season make 20 per year, which is a good number, in my opinion (and most likely, there are more than that).

PS. I din't mention Isekai Drugstore, whose MC should be in his 20s at minimum, because it's a silly fluffy slice-of-life that I don't believe would suit your tastes, given the tone of your complaints.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2021
  11. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    It is not directed at kids. Let's not say something that is not based on facts.
    Japanese anime like Naruto are shown on adult swim.
    Modern shonen is really old Seinen.
    I am pretty sure Under 15 gravure isn't targetted at under 15 boys.
    Comic conventions for Anime don't have just kids either
    Just the way PG 13 was invented to market R rated movies to a wider population

Last edited: Aug 15, 2021
  12. Lemonfairy

Lemonfairy 〖Retired Cat Boss〗〖Feeling the Effects of Aging〗

Reading List:
    Link
    I always thought you were a guy:blobsweat_2:

Ishmael and Wujigege like this.
  13. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    I am a guy

Ishmael likes this.
  14. Lemonfairy

Reading List:
    Link
    ok never mind then

15. Mr Inanda

Mr Inanda Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Adult Swim is a North American cartoon channel, PG-13 originated in the USA, Naruto seems to be unrated in Japan, running in Shounen Jump along One Piece, Bleach and some others. My point is that what we perceive as violent and bloody is much more normalized to japanese audiences. Dragon Ball Z, with all it's fighting, ran on Wednesday at the prime television time of 8:00pm. While censored in the west, despite being more bloody in Japan it was still a shounen anime.

Wing0 likes this.
  16. Ishmael

Ishmael 『Night Owl』『Butler』『Traveller』

Reading List:
    Link
    Wujigege has already shed his mortal shell he´s beyond gender :blobsmilehappyeyes:

Wujigege likes this.
  17. Lemonfairy

Reading List:
    Link
    I thought he was a flat-chested 30-year-old (but mentally approaching 50?) feeling alienated from the time when he was still a pre-pubescent girl and enjoying high-school themed anime and/or anime about high-school aged characters.

Now I see it was about the kdrama, not himself.:blobsweat_2:

Wujigege and Ishmael like this.
  18. Ishmael

Ishmael 『Night Owl』『Butler』『Traveller』

Reading List:
    Link
    This is hilarious now I can´t stop imagining him being a flat-chested 30-year-old (but mentally approaching 50) girl:sweating_profusely::blobrofl::blobjoy:

Wujigege likes this.
  19. aShinyVaporeon

aShinyVaporeon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have to say that I doubt that statement. The majority of anime is shounen or shoujo. Yes, I know that you said that nowadays shounen is actually really old seinen, but where did you get that idea? It's marketed that way, and it's literally in the name. Your proof is that, overseas, it aired on channels meant for older audiences. Still, Naruto was rated TV-PG-DV, which means that is fine for kids to watch, just not younger ones. Not to mention that the western rating is not indicative of how it was marketed in Japan.

Your point that comic conventions don't just have kids also misses the mark a bit, since it's expected that people will latch on to things that aren't marketed for their age or gender group, especially since shounen anime is also pretty enjoyable for older audiences. There are also plenty of anime for adults, which would probably still be featured in the same convention. Also, adults are more likely to travel to a convention, because usually younger folks wouldn't have the capability to go there, so even if they are hardcore fans who really do want to go, they'd have to convince their caretakers as well.

The video you linked did not, in fact, link PG-13 and R rated movies. Indeed, it points out that PG-13 was created as the middle ground between R and PG, but never does it say that PG-13 is R, but made to be marketed to a wider audience. It instead points out that what is now considered PG-13 was once considered PG, so old franchises still want to capitalize off of toy sales from PG-13 movies the way they used to, despite them no longer being available to younger audiences. The movie franchises used as examples in the video to make the point are also all formerly PG, not R, so I don't understand how you came to that conclusion.

I unfortunately have no idea what under 15 gravure is, so I can't really say anything.

Phew, finished my unnecessarily long response.

But is a 30-year-old who's mentally close to 50, still considered a girl?:blobowoevil:

Mr Inanda likes this.
  20. Silver Snake

Silver Snake Magician of NUF|Show-off|Awkward|Genius

Reading List:
    Link
    Most everything sucks, it's not just anime or anime set in a school. Most people don't know how to be entertaining or what entertainment is.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: if you want a good story, then make it yourself.