Discussion West needs to get over the Big 3

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Jojo775, Aug 31, 2021.

1. Jojo775

Jojo775 Honorary Algae Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think anyone in Japan cares about Dragon Ball, Bleach or Naruto for the past 10 years. People move on and watch many other anime.
    Meanwhile the entire west: hur dur there is no other anime, lets rewatch those 5x, still post memes and then watch shitty sequels.

2. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    i agree with you totally and have never nor will ever watch them. It's an unfortunate trend that a few overblown series tend to command most of the focus even when they're long out of focus in Japan.

Jojo775 likes this.
  3. SylviaViolet

SylviaViolet Toast to the ones that we lost on the way⚓️

Reading List:
    Link
    Whoa, weren't the big three Naruto, Bleach and One Piece? Where did Dragon Ball come from?

Anyway, apart from Naruto, I've never watched more than a few eps of any of them. They're too long...

And the main issue is that the people who keep harping on those anime haven't tried other ones. There are plenty of great anime but they wouldn't know that if they've never watched any of them.

4. Jojo775

Reading List:
    Link
    Dragon ball is the first one, sure One Piece is big but it's still ongoing and it's the odd one compared to others.
    They have longest animes, but mangas are pretty standard, just that most anime adaptations never get enough seasons to even get close to completing the story.

5. IceLight303

IceLight303 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Bleach? Really, I wouldn't consider it in the top 3.
    1. Naruto
    2. Dragonball z
    3. Attack on Titan

I think those are the most watched anime in the West. Also pretty sure Naruto has Boruto and an amusement park. I personally don't see the problem. If something is good, it's weird to not experience it just because it's too main stream or hyped up. Should you watch them, in my opinion yes. Are they the only anime you should watch? No, branch out, but to say people should get over them is harsh. Eventually people won't talk about them because it will be something from their grandparents era. For now watch them, then decided for yourself if they are good or bad or worth recommending.

6. Wing0

Wing0 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    for me, the big 3 would be...
    One Piece
    Dragon ball/Z/GT series
    Macross series
    ...I mean, I'd love to watch them x10 times
    in retrospective, I've watched the Matrix series, & the Star Wars (6 movie) series over 10 times.

Well another issue is, content availability: If an anime is not allowed to be broadcasted in your country due to license restrictions, and you have never heard of it, you wouldn't even be trying to watch it.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
  7. Jojo775

Reading List:
    Link
    No
    The Big Three refers to three very long and very popular anime, Naruto, Bleach and One Piece. The Big Three was a term used to describe the three most popular running series during their golden age in Jump's mid 2000s period - One Piece, Naruto and Bleach.
    I just replaced OP with DB since it's the predecessor and OP is still ongoing. People are not stuck so much on Attack on Titan and it's not iconic nor long like the big 3.

I didn't say you shouldn't watch them, but watch them and move on. Not rewatch and watch crap like Dragon Ball Super, Bleach after Aizen or Boruto.

Westeller, ongoingwhy and Xxsafirex like this.
  8. Deleted member 369806

Deleted member 369806 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't care about what people name them, big three or whatever but alot of the classics are awesome even by todays standards, at least compared to alot of the trash that was made in recent years, be it anime or cartoons or movies, etc... XD

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2021
    Wing0 likes this.
  9. Lissi

Lissi 『Queen of Lissidom』『Holy Chibi』『Western Birdy』『⚓』

Reading List:
    Link
    Limited knowledge of anime I guess XD

10. ongoingwhy

ongoingwhy Meat Pie Lover

Reading List:
    Link
    Wrong, there are people in Japan that still obsess over series that are already long over. Just look at those various themed cafes and you'll know what I am talking about. If we're talking about the big 3, people will only be more obsessed about them.

11. Kadmos1

Kadmos1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wonder what the Small 3 would be.

12. Jojo775

Reading List:
    Link
    Some people...but not like half the audience.

13. AgeNtSaRcaS

AgeNtSaRcaS Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Tf? and here I thought pokemon , beyblade and digimon were the big three jk

Deleted member 369806 likes this.
  14. IceLight303

IceLight303 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not going to lie, I hadn't heard anyone mention it until you brought it up. You do realize that the West isn't the producers of the anime? They are made in Japan then dubbed over here. So if run off series are being made in Japan then they haven't gotten over it either. In Japan series get cancelled very quickly if no one reads them or watches them, so if it's still ongoing people in Japan are still reading it.

Also where are you that your seeing it so much, that it bothers you? A quick search on Twitter, tiktok and YouTube don't show Dragonball z or bleach in their top 10 trending tags. On Twitter Boruto shows up one when searching anime. The only place I see Dragonball being on rerun is cable along with Pokemon. Ironically you didn't mention Pokemon but that did show up on YouTube and tiktok. To sum it up, if people like it enough to rewatch it, then let them. You maybe sick of them but the world isn't.

I think a better discussion would be the top three most well known shounen anime, in your opinion.

I know right? Bleach I haven't heard it mentioned in a while.

15. Jojo775

Reading List:
    Link
    I get DBZ and DBS memes and fanmade articles from groups I don't even follow on FB. Naruto is still memed in general meme groups.
    Yes I know how anime works, still having sequels like Super and Boruto doesn't mean anyone cares about them like they're something epic the way the used to be, just another anime and ones most wouldn't watch due to other better seasonal animes.

16. ongoingwhy

ongoingwhy Meat Pie Lover

Reading List:
    Link
    :hmm:

17. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    Remember that there are normies in Japan too. As the average young japanese person what anime they like and it'll likely be one of those popular mainstream shounen anime.

18. Jojo775

Reading List:
    Link
    It was clearly an exaggeration, why are you quoting comments as absolute. Only Siths deal in absolutes.

ongoingwhy likes this.
  19. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    My first thought was that this thread was gonna be about how @Westeller needs to defeat the big 3 and conquer nuf or something >.>

Also I mean eh? The channels are also kinda too lazy to license other stuff. Pokemon, Tom and Jerry etc are running on repeat since forever. I would rather have Naruto over Pokemon S1 on repeat.

20. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I fully intend to read through all of One Piece again, sorry. ... Y'know, when it's finally complete.

AliceShiki likes this.