Change Password

Discussion in 'Novel Updates Site Discussion' started by Arthur202, Sep 6, 2021.

1. Arthur202

Arthur202 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Okay so I created this account a long while ago and I forgot the password. Luckily, I never logged out on accident but incase one day I do, I wanna change my password to one that I know. When I go to Account settings then press password, it asks to put your old password to change it, but I don't know my old password. I could just log out and when I go to log in, press forgot password bit I'm afraid that it won't work.

2. Arthur202

Arthur202 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    How do I change my password without logging out? I've had this account for awhile and I'm afraid of accidentally logging out so I want to change my password. But, when you go to change your password it asks for your old password, which I don't remember. I could log out but I fear that it'll just say "Error" or it isn't working. Does anyone know how to do this or should I just log out and press "forgot password" when I try to go login?

3. IceLight303

IceLight303 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I forgot my password once. It was easy to reset it. If you end up having problems create a throwaway account to @ the staff or send an email to [email protected]. just remember your user name. The email is probably the easiest. However I didn't have any problems resetting my password.

4. Eldau

Eldau And now for something completely different

Reading List:
    Link
    Unless you lost the email address you used to make the account with, I don't see why you should fear logging out and resetting your password.

5. Knightime

Knightime Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you know the email address you used to register, why don’t you try to use a different device/browser to reset your password. That way you can stay logged in on your current device.

6. Shiki

Shiki Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ask tony.

7. Arthur202

Arthur202 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Omg I just tried this and it's not working. I only have my account here on forum but for novel updates, it says my account does not exist. But when I type in my username it says it will send me an email but it's not coming. I'm currently here feeling empty knowing this was gonna happen ‍

How do I contact him.

8. Knightime

Reading List:
    Link
    Then perhaps you never made a Novel Updates account? Have you posted a review before or created a list?

9. Arthur202

Arthur202 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    But when I went to novelupdtaes, it showed I had an acaccount. Although I never made a review, I have reading lists for myself. The regular one that you automatically get, reading, and I made 2 more of my own, "favorites", and "what I should read"

10. Knightime

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe contact Novel Updates support that you aren’t receiving the password reset email?

11. Alvastar

Alvastar Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Firstly, the website and forums are separate from what I've come to understand. Logging into the main site does not log you into the forums. If you haven't made a reading list to keep track of the latest chapter, you likely don't have an account for anything but the forum.

Secondly, you need to consider using a password manager like KeepassX. I'm surprised that you have stayed logged in so long. It usually pops you out every 30 days on the forum. That's the manager I use and you can have it set to auto-type login information with just a couple of short-cut keys. Very convenient for making each account information unique.

Thirdly, e-mail recovery is going to be your best bet. I'm sad to say, right now what you're describing can also be like someone who's gained access to someone else's account and wants to alter it for their own credentials. Even though such a person would already have the current password, it's unlikely that someone like Tony or another Mod would help you recover the account another way without that minimal verification.

I suggest you think hard about what you could have made your log-in and what mindset you were in at the time. I've also forgotten to write a password down before and know how frustrating it can be. Sadly, it is what it is.

12. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    aaaa.jpg

aaaaa.jpg

13. Arthur202

Arthur202 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    OMG it finally worked, I found it one of my old journal deep in my closet. Thank you though, I'll keep this in my mind!!!

14. Bright_Lucky_Star

Bright_Lucky_Star [Previously Known as OrdinaryUser] The Blessed One

Reading List:
    Link
    Glad to hear that

15. sz

sz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just adding my two cents.

Recommending a digital password safe too. Not only for novelupdates. Auto-Type hotkey password input is a heaven send. Works not only in browsers but also for apps.:blobsmilehappyeyes:
    There are browser addons too. Mostly working and automatically displaying possible entries (if an entry is inputted with the corresponding url). Instead of using a hotkey you can just click on an entry on a login form (KeepassXC and using Browser addon).

KeepassX seems to not be updated any longer. KeepassXC seems like the latest branch version. That is a keepass variant with no addon support, but has many functions already included (Besides basic Keepass functions also includes OTP support, Favicons downloader and Passphrase generator)

More information about Keepass and variants in that reddit community.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/KeePass/