Why majority of ml's are hot refrigerators and FLs Mary Sue in distress

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Nebula, Sep 5, 2021.

1. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well I was going through some recently updated modern straight romance novels I found few things in common

• The MLs are of same kind super good-looking, cold , less speaking , so called wife, slave richest person on the world/country, in some special cases rapist and mafia boss‍♀️, and pedophile too:cool:
    • The fl too are same petite and having looks of goddess , cute , no brain , dence , naive , awesome figure, poor , havin trash family (if not there will be evil cousin lurking in the corner), somehow genius in everything (then why so stupid don't know) totally mary sue in distress and no matter how successful and powerful ml is always more powerful:whistle: in special cases victims of Stockholm syndrome and rape victim
    • There are many people in comment and review not liking so why there is no good novel picked by translator.
    • Why are there no good romance novels here
    • Don't readers here want to read something which is good even though it has cliche but written in a better way
    • Why the leads specially ml seems same in mostly all romance novels here
    • Why don't we readers deserve to read something good like remarried empress, rice pot next door(the best romance novel I have read here ) more ?

2. Darkcrow.

Darkcrow. Foul Tarnished

Reading List:
    Link
    90% Female lead novels in a nutshell.
    As for Male lead novels?, Boobs, Lolis and more boobs.

Nyaa.23, xnvesha.14 and Nebula like this.
  3. Walter vi Britannia

Walter vi Britannia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You mean modern straight romance novels with a female demographic, right? Cause I read modern straight novels too but my experience is that all MCs are dense as fuck and while all the female characters can be described completely with just a single 2 dimensional character trait.

4. Devil Heart

Devil Heart Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe bcs it won't happen in reality as long as that person have intelligent not to date such person
    The more it won't happen, the more we imagined how would it like to be if it happens
    Such curiosity is normal and we won't harm anyone around us by only reading it
    Though such spread also dangerous because people might get influenced but at the same time it also give awareness
    Although it most likely won't happen but there's someone out there experiencing it for sure, maybe peoples around them can give help to the said person if the person wasn't able to get out of such situation themselves
    Idk it just my opinions maybe

Nebula likes this.
  5. RizYun

RizYun #Kaffee4Laifu

Reading List:
    Link
    Especially Korean Novels. they're all sick. Way more sicker than NTR, Rapes, Guro, Vore etc... of Japanese and Chinese novels. Even their bullshit-ness(JPn &CNn) still lose in comparison to KRn sick romances...

6. Hazel00

Hazel00 Highland Knight | From Karsuk

Reading List:
    Link
    bro speaking straight facts.

7. Baldingere

Baldingere Roseau pensant

Reading List:
    Link
    Because it's easy to take it as a template to write? Webnovels aren't written by pros. Character development and plot is hard. And poeple read it because they want some romance, no matter how dumb, to distract and amuse them but without having to put braincells into it. And culturally, that kind of love, however unhealthy and twisted it is, is accepted as romantic. A lot of women have a wrong image of romance and don't understand that this is toxic, especially if they already have traumas. And there's few good published romance stories. It's seen as bad train station literature. I don't know why people translate it tho.

Nebula and Devil Heart like this.
  8. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    Hot refrigerators? Something tells me the ML's are defective :cookie:

Coz they are popular with the translators or the majority of readers. Here is something I wrote about xianxia novels but it works for most popular, spammed series here -
    Replace Xianxia with KR Romance and you got your answer ~

As for why dont you deserve to read something good?
    Well you do, except with how it is, you need to put in the effort to find the good series and explore a bit.

I would suggest you to read some classic, already completed series for a change.

9. LittleBigSnowFlower

LittleBigSnowFlower 悪くないよねぇ 〜

Reading List:
    Link
    Well Female urban romance novels like these are meant to cater female fantasies (well duh)... Melting that cold rich CEO, Making the oh-so-hot Mafia boss your guardian angel, making a playboy rich second generation guy your licking dog, Making the studious handsome school hearthrob spend every seconds of time just to make you happy, many to mention tropes. And to be fair you can see the "fantasy" on those as these kinds of men would either just see you as a waste of time, one night affair, side-chicks etc. That's why some novels even obviously stated that "when in front of the Female lead they somehow got their IQ turn into negatives" and being made fun of... Female also want to portray themselves the absolute "princess" that they dreamt off when their mother/father/nanny tells them in their bedtime stories (or maybe the internet and some kiddies shows). Heaven's chosen women that would be impossible to be in this world without getting g*nged up and thrown to the ditch after the deed with how innocent they are to even live in the world.

Male Fantasies are wayyyy easier to supply, it's just b**bs b**bs b**bs a*s t*ts a*s w*men and some bunch of power/money flexing. Stroking the fragile ego of some poor unfortunate souls that are left to rot in this world... Eh, we live in a society ~~~

The main reason it's still being circulated and recycled is because... well no surprise, they just sell more... Just look at their distant cousin to anothee sea on another dimension (isekai *ehem* *ehem*). Even with how many kind of dog plots and repititions and reimagining they do, they share the same mold and sells. Authors would still do the same things with just different nametags. Reason? It sells well.

Creative and good novels are quite a tall task to ask for when you also have to think about how to sell these, just remember that some novels before that was deemed nonsensical at the time were seen now as "way ahead of its time". So it's also a constraint to be creative without thinking how it would sell. Well that's how the world works, sonny. So the solution? Just repeat the tried and tested method and perfect it.

10. Deleted member 25261

Deleted member 25261 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Female authors + female audience.

Nebula likes this.
  11. Hoodychan

Hoodychan Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah yuck I noticed that as well! Why do male protagonists fall in love with minor female characters?
    It’s so disgusting imo and pedo. I read a couple of Chinese novels like this and felt sick.
    Is it so hard to make them close in age? What’s so interesting about a minor female\male?
    So strange…

12. Vermouth

Vermouth Older but none the wiser.

Reading List:
    Link
    I think cool good-looking male characters appeal to a sort of female fantasy. It’s like the sort of guy character females would fangirl over. Think to Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. Darcy is precisely that sort of cool, good-looking man that fits the archetype. It’s not a phenomenon isolated to web novels alone.

As for the ML being more powerful than the FL, I think it has to do with wish fulfillment, and wanting to “marry up” in a sense. Having a partner who is less capable than you and lacking often breeds contempt in relationships.

FL having a trash family is likely a plot device and gives the FL something to overcome.

Also, I believe these sorts of “hot refrigerators” and “distressed Mary Sues” simply make for gripping plot that hooks readers in.

DewDropsOnMellons and Nebula like this.
  13. Saorihirai

Saorihirai Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Even in well written published romance books, this sort of trope is still very strong

Nebula, Gitami and Owl Escapee like this.
  14. Gitami

Gitami Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Fifty shades of grey.
    The ml ceo fits the trope.
    I am curious, does the Fl follow the trope?

15. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    Because if the ML is hot, it would make sense for them to have had multiple girlfriends over their lifetime. So by making the ML cold, it makes them not be a playboy and be just for the FL.

It's not too much different than the male oriented novels where even if the female harem member lived their entire life as a whore, they would still somehow magically be a virigin.

That's normal, underdog MCs are popular for wish fulfillment. And making ML usually more powerful is because it is generally expected for women to marry upwards. Not downwards.

whatever floats people's boats. Do note that comments and reviews tend to be left by the loud minority. If you think better novels should be translated, translate them yourself. It is up to translators to pick what they enjoy.

Romance is one of the hardest things to write, and web novels by nature isn't well tuned to the romance genre. It's like walking into a fast food and wondering why the food etiquette is so bad.

Everything has its thing. Some people like wish fulfillment, some people like the plots/drama of some of the romance novels but don't actually care about the romance. Whatever floats people's boats.

16. BEritro

BEritro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Heh i just made a thread for this exact topic cause i was legit curious what makes KR romance novels so speical that i see new 4 or 5 series pops up here everyday
    anyway man are they this bad? what kind of sick stuff and cliche troupe they have?

Nebula likes this.
  17. RizYun

RizYun #Kaffee4Laifu

Reading List:
    Link
    blame all this to those korean idols. they were worshiped as if they're all gods.
    i think in no time, their culture might became like japan. where they worshiped anime/manga characters.... even japanese idols losing in popularity..
    well except JAV idols and Gravure pigure idols...

Hoodychan and Nebula like this.
  18. PPpupu

PPpupu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    People are sick in the head.

Nebula likes this.
  19. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Exactly :aww::blobrofl:

Yess
    But this is just for novels though
    Manhuas sometimes have good potential

True

Kr novels I haven't tried modern ones but historical ones I think are most of the time better then c novels
    You can take remarried empress as a perfect example (only historical novel I could read and follow here)
    And I won't say too much abt modern ones as they are not translated much and many good dramas are based on then
    But many kr manhwas are gem let me tell you

I am talking about pros here
    There are many authors who especially in c novel who are pro
    Translators are not and they are doing excellent job
    But why are they not picking up something good I don't want realistic Romance

I am
    Doing I can't waste my entire time doing this have got studies to do:blobpeek:
    That's why replyig really late but there are many who don't like this and will read something different for change

Sad truth

But this much trash is too much

Wow we literally think same I have ranted about this a lot:blobjoy:
    This made me so sick that now I am suker for gender role reversal and noona romance lol:blobpeek:

This is what I was thinking while I was scrolling down I haven't read this book but have seen honest trailer :blobcheeky: and yess it feels as if those lady authors got lot of inspiration from this or vise versa :blobtongue:

There few good ones there though

:ROFLMAO:

Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
  20. wasntbornyesterday

wasntbornyesterday Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    its worse when the fl is 15-16 too

Nebula likes this.