LCD Napoleon in 1812

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by prongsjiisan, Sep 7, 2021.

1. prongsjiisan

prongsjiisan Apostle of Violence

Reading List:
    Link
    Presenting our honourable emperor Napoleon the Great, Undefeated General, God of War itself.

https://www.novelupdates.com/series/napoleon-in-1812/#comment-237241

translated by Grand Historian of Empire @Avilda

I really love this version of Napoleon, how he deal with Brit'ish. And how his supreme influence can change Brit'ish prime minister at will, without the need for him to do anything.

Experience the terror of Westminster court dealing with him.

2. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
    Needs more chapters

prongsjiisan likes this.
  3. prongsjiisan

Reading List:
    Link

Long Live the Emperor!

Alvilda likes this.
  4. Deleted member 176237

Deleted member 176237 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    We need more Foreign Historical Novels tbh.

prongsjiisan likes this.
  5. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
    Try military hegemony of ancient Greece

prongsjiisan likes this.
  6. Deleted member 176237

Deleted member 176237 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I finished that already, it was honestly good tbh but then the ending came.

prongsjiisan likes this.
  7. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
    Kingdom's Bloodline

prongsjiisan likes this.
  8. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't read Korean novels but I wonder how this book stacks up with Chinese historical novels.

On the one hand, it seems to be such a weird concept to have ahistorical Napoleon taking the place of historical Napoleon in the past. I mean, he'd have the same personality, and it's not as if he's going to be significantly better as a general. Also, starting right before the Russian Campaign is a bit of an odd spot because it affords him the least opportunity to make any changes if the book is anywhere historical.

All that said, it still brings up a lot of different possibilities: would he use Davout and Suchet more heavily? And while Bernadotte isn't a Marshal any more, how would this new Napoleon deal with him? There's a lot of potential here if the author is up to snuff.

NU could do with a lot more historical novels in general. I'd love it if at least half of the books given that label are actually accurate. I'd be ecstatic if any of the really good ones got some readership.

prongsjiisan likes this.
  9. prongsjiisan

Reading List:
    Link
    This Novel is in the level of Mediterranean Hegemon of Ancient Greece.

Also honestly that's was ones of the best novel I have read. Other Chinese honestly is quite crap. Especially if it takes places in ancient Chinese dynasty.

10. ToastedRossi

Reading List:
    Link
    That's pretty cool to hear. I'm reading that book right now, and it's not too bad. That said, I'm way more interested in the Napoleonic Era than in Classical Greece so my expectations and standards are a lot higher as well. I might check it out some time when the translation is complete.

I'd say that "Mediterranean Hegemon of Ancient Greece" is pretty decent but it's also a middling Chinese historical novel. There are a ton out there; especially the ones set in Imperial China. Very few of these get translated because readers aren't interested in them, but that's largely true of the historical genre and NU in general. Also note that a lot of the books that are supposedly historical novels are miscategorized.

prongsjiisan likes this.
  11. prongsjiisan

Reading List:
    Link
    No it's different, President Napoleon and Emperor Napoleon is different personalities. While the first ones is Capable politician and Greatest General under the heaven the other is genius that wasted it's talent in Mundane thing like Honor, and military prestige. This Napoleon is as true as how Bethooven Eroica depicted. Also Eroica Buonaparte.

Also how annoyingly stubborn is brit'ish islander. They're like a roach that's doesn't simply die. And how strong their navy is.
    Also the translator is French

I'll try to read it, as long as not about "Everyone in China knows Kung Fu" then it'll be worth reading. Human Emperor is one of the most promising ones before it's tainted by filthy Xian Xia. I'd love genre like Napoleon in 1812 or Mediterranean Hegemon, although a bit of Kung Fu it's not bad, as long as not over I think it's good.

@avilda yo

Last edited: Sep 9, 2021
  12. ToastedRossi

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not sure I see the point of having Napoleon as the central character when he doesn't behave like Napoleon any more. If you're going to have Napoleon acting as someone totally different, it might as well be a different character. I can't say that I really approve.

Shouldn't France's biggest rival be Russia? Britain was an irritant but it was never the biggest threat. They played a big role in the Peninsular Campaign, but that was always a sideshow compared to the fighting in central Europe.

Few of these books get translated, but if you ever get a chance to read a Yue Guan novel, you should really check it out. He's one of the trendsetters for how historical novels are written, and he's pretty much the best at this.

Also, it looks like "For a Prosperous World" is getting translated again so that's always a great read. It's not the same kind of animal as most other historical novels and it's both more and less historical than they are. It's also a lot more human feeling so it's a big plus if you like character interaction in your books.

prongsjiisan likes this.
  13. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
    I hate that the site doesn't work if the JavaScript is disabled, the ads are not friendly to old devices

prongsjiisan likes this.
  14. prongsjiisan

Reading List:
    Link
    Britain is always biggest threat. They're practically next door. Has best navy, bigger empire, wealthier.

15. Alvilda

Alvilda Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link

I'm sorry to read this, what troubles are you experiencing with the website? I coded it myself so there's always room for improvement, feel free to tell me :blobsmile:
    From what I see on my side, most of the website's functionalities work without Javascript (but you can't change the theme for example)

I think on the contrary that starting the novel at the beginning of the Russian Campaign is interesting, because it was truly a disaster for la Grande Armée in our world. Napoleon lost so many men… Even if he still managed to win battles after this, he failed to deal with Russia and had to conscript always younger men. I see it as the beginning of the end. To me it's a good starting point to write an alternate history.
    Having a different Napoleon taking Napoleon's place is mostly an excuse to change the course of the Russian Campaign, and have him take different decisions on certains matters. He has less flaws, he's a bit like an utopian Napoleon.

prongsjiisan likes this.
  16. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
    Its fine now, b4 it was all white and only the text, site doesn't function without JavaScript or something is written

prongsjiisan and Alvilda like this.
  17. Alvilda

Alvilda Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    France's nemesis really is England. Some argue that it's actually Prussia/Germany and that England is just our retarded little brother, but France and England have been at war for several centuries. During the Napoleonic era, the coalitions were mostly initiated by the British, and even if British soldiers were not always on the battlefields, they used their money to support the other countries at war with France. Russia was powerful indeed, but maybe not as big as a threat because too far in the East.

prongsjiisan likes this.
  18. userunfriendly

userunfriendly A Wild Userunfriendly Appears!

Reading List:
    Link
  19. ToastedRossi

Reading List:
    Link
    Realistically speaking, there isn't any real way to do better in the Russian Campaign. The only choices are either to not attack at all, attack with a smaller force, or do what Napoleon did historically. The other two alternatives aren't particularly palatable and the one thing that would have helped, the Russians actually deciding to give battle, was always outside of French control. Unless the Russians decided to be stupid, it's hard to see much changing.

I don't buy it. Britain was continuously at war with France from 1803 all the way to victory in 1814. During most of this period, Britain was constantly losing. Even with all its money, and the powerful Royal Navy, and the massive empire, allies constantly abandoned Britain. Sure, Britain was the founding member of most of the coaltions, but these coalitions lost. And in losing, they only managed to give Napoleon more and more power, so that he was at his strongest in 1812; some nine years after Britain first went to war with him. But when Russia provoked France into war, Napoleon was forced into surrender within two years.

The reason is pretty simple: France was a land-based superpower, and only a force that could damage its army could pose as an existential threat. Russia could do that, and Britain simply could not. Sure, without its allies, Russia wouldn't be able to do much against France. But by that same token, without Russia, almost all of those allies would still be fighting for France!

20. prongsjiisan

Reading List:
    Link
    Dude that's exactly this version of Napoleon did. He retreat and bait Russian into attacking his position.

Nah Britain and France are at war since Forever. To be exact since William the Conqueror became king of England. also Russian never win against France as long as Napoleon is reasonable guy. Have I ever told you about Austerlitz? Where bunch of Russian killed without even fight? The ones that defeat Napoleon is not Russian soldier but Russian plain itself. There's reason why they called Russian sleeping bear.

Brit'ish is the real threat. They basically next door and could invade France at any times. And Brits has been proven itself to have Capable general. Arthur Wellesley is one of them. Brit'ish had Industrial capabilities something that only surpassed by US of A century later. Thus why I said Brit'ish are the real threat. It's Coalition that lost not Brit'ish, they virtually untouchable.

Also do you realize that you argue with French (Avilda), the ones that know themselves?

France indeed is land based that's makes Brit'ish more dangerous. Without sufficient naval force They can Blockade or attacking anywhere they can. This is the reason why Russian is adamant in their efforts to get warm port.

Something that I painfully learn myself as my armies doesn't have Navy, eventough you're superior in land you'll get bullied if you don't have Navy.

And dude I think you're underestimate how crucial navy is. Saying France is land based thus the only threat is another land based power? If that's the case then there's no reason for US to maintain their naval superiority, or China who build their navy frantically. And there's never simple reason on why is one country is threat or the others is not.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2021
    Alvilda likes this.