Easy Recipes (pls help)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by gtreed, Sep 13, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gtreed

gtreed Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi there friends

I'll make it quick. I'm a college student and I'm going hungry. I can only go so long on ramen and I have reached the point where I make it through the day only on instant coffee and random free samples from stands.

So i was wondering if you all have any quick and easy recipes that I can cook for myself in a college apartment. It doesn't even have to taste that good as long as it sustains me. Thanks!

babybb and Deleted member 348269 like this.
  2. animanaicT

animanaicT Nobody Important

Reading List:
    Link
    I usually buy like 50 pounds of rice for about 20 bucks, and eat nothing but rice and water when I was struggling to pay for bills. Do you have pots and pans? Is there any churches or help organizations that give out free food to the needy around you.

3. wasntbornyesterday

wasntbornyesterday Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    fried bananas and condensed milk(the sweet kind, which you can buy at your local grocery store)

(its very yummy)

gtreed likes this.
  4. DragonMage18

DragonMage18 Outcast

Reading List:
    Link
    Mix potatomash and eggs.
    Spread it evenly on a sheat. Put it in the oven to until it's not just potatomash with eggs, but until it's a bit firmer.
    Spread ketchup ontop of it, add cheese, add sliced sausage.
    Place in the oven once more until it's done.

Not very precise recipe, to long since I made it last time. You could just use a premade pizza dough.

Tho, if you realy strugle with money, just go garbage diving around foodshops abit after their closing time. They usualy throw away some of the days remaining fresh baking.

gtreed likes this.
  5. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
    Egg, black pepper powdered, flour, salt, spring onions(chopped)
    Mix them then fry, eat with ketchup or mayo

Scrambled egg, diced sausages, diced onion and garlic, bayleaf, black pepper, soy sauce, vinegar, water.
    Boil all till sausages expands

Ground beef, soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, black pepper, mix then fry with little oil till thick.Scrambled eggs, diced tomatoes. Mix all.

Ground beef, black pepper, a pack of diced carrots/corn/green peas(there should be a pack on the frozen foods section), 1/4 butter. Fry all.

Ground beef, fry. Twisted macaroni, boil. Powered cheese(or quick melt cheese depends on which is cheaper), milk, sugar, salt, butter, flour, boil till thick mix well so there's no clumps. Mix all.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
    gtreed likes this.
  6. YoriMei

YoriMei (ㆁᴗㆁ✿)

Reading List:
    Link
    3 ingredient Orange Chicken (though you need oil for the pan):

1. Soy sauce
    2. Chicken breast
    3. Orange Marmalade

Dice chicken breast into chunks, apply thin layer of oil on pan and place chicken inside and cook for 1-2 min. Flip, cook again for another 1-2 min and then place about a spoonful of marmalade in the pan and mix as the chicken cooks. Finally, add soy sauce (I just eyeball it so I don’t have a measurement for this one) and let mix+let it finish cooking. You can serve this with rice to make it more filling.

really easy tortilla breakfast “packet”:
    Tortilla
    1 egg
    Sliced Ham
    Shredded cheese
    Tin foil

lay down a tortilla on foil and put down a slice of ham, then fold a bunch of ham and use that + your cheese to build a little “well” (or just a space for your egg to go into the middle and not spill everywhere). Crack an egg into the “well” you formed and season with salt, pepper, and top with more shredded cheese if you like. Carefully, fold the 4 sides of your tortilla inward to form a square and then use your foil you laid down to wrap it all up into a packet. Do NOT flip it over, you will spill your egg. Finally, place in oven at 350F for about 25 min

gtreed likes this.
  7. Marvin

Marvin The Man who realize love

Reading List:
    Link
    Bread and eggs, two ingredienta that have infinite food combination for a very cheap price

anotherAniket and gtreed like this.
  8. a14635

a14635 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    • Bread
    • Lettuce
    • Canned tuna
    • Onion
    • Mayo
    Can't go wrong with these. :blobmelt:

Deleted member 348269 and gtreed like this.
  9. anotherAniket

anotherAniket Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'll just link a video, really sleepy rn.

Afghani Omlette (ENG subs available):

gtreed likes this.
  10. Blurry Reader

Blurry Reader Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  11. Olives

Olives [Former] Professional Basement Dweller

Reading List:
    Link
    Go to Walmart.
    Buy a box of croissants. (Or any other bread. I just don't get tired of croissants)
    Buy a cooked chicken.
    Buy a box of baby spinach.
    Buy some sauce (I prefer asian sesame).
    You now have sandwiches for at most a week.

Good luck soldier. :blobsalute:

gtreed likes this.
  12. anotherAniket

anotherAniket Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Haven't seen that Slav legend in years.. Brings back memories. World hunger ain't nothing in front of his potatoes and sausages.

gtreed likes this.
  13. MisterBubbles

MisterBubbles [The Omnipotent No. 2 at Everything]

Reading List:
    Link
    I recommend buying stuff for sandwiches and salads (both are very cheap).
    Eggs and rice are always good, plus you can do a lot with both.
    Pancake mix and oatmeal are lifesavers, too.
    Grab some vegetables or soup whenever you can because your body is going to hate you if you only eat junk lol

Invest in some protein powder. Ngl, these are really good when you're on the go or need to skip meals sometimes.

Tip: If you are running low on food or can't eat much, always drink a cup of water before meals. It'll help you feel more full so you don't need to eat as much.

gtreed likes this.
  14. Mr. Tired

Mr. Tired Professional Idiot

Reading List:
    Link
    Egg sandwich.
    --
    Boil some eggs.
    Crack and peel them.
    Put them in a bowl.
    Mash them with a fork to a chunky/smooth consistency.
    Put salt, pepper, relish, and/or thyme (and other stuff that can go with it) into the mix. You can even add some cajun spice to it.
    Toast some bread.
    Put the egg creation onto the bread.
    Boom. Easy (and pretty tasty...) egg sandwich. I'm not sure if others know of this, but most people I tell about the existence of egg sandwiches to never heard of it before...and usually think it's weird. But it's good~
    --
    Beans and rice beans and rice beans and rice beans and rice beans and rice

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
    gtreed likes this.
  15. brigs11

brigs11 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sesame oil, soy sauce, vinegar, peanut butter or sesame paste, and spaghetti. Cook and mix according to taste. All ingredients last for a very long time so no worry of it expiring. Add vegetables, meat, or eggs when budget fits.

Spaghetti can be microwave cooked in water and I did this for a while. Times range depending on the microwave you have available.

gtreed likes this.
  16. Lissi

Lissi 『Queen of Lissidom』『Holy Chibi』『Western Birdy』『⚓』

Reading List:
    Link
    Sunny side up eggs!

Or you could just boil some water and then plop an egg there.

Or scrambled eggs!

Also a plain cake! You only need eggs, sugar, and flour. Separate the egg yolks & whites, beat the egg whites until they're fluffy, then add sugar, egg yolks, and flour. Then put in the oven for ~20 minutes. Ta-da!

gtreed likes this.
  17. Deleted member 348269

Deleted member 348269 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    hmm..i had a book of stuff laying around. an idea of simple or not too complicated meals for cooking.

When possible, buy Maggi. Now you can just eat plain rice with maggi without meat and veggies. Or use it to season stuff. Many condiments work on rice. Ketchup on rice. Ranch on rice.

Scrambled eggs and tomatoes.
    Steamed egg custard. https://redhousespice.com/chinese-steamed-eggs/

gtreed likes this.
  18. gtreed

gtreed Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you everyone! You're life savers! I really appreciate your advice and I am writing up a grocery list as I read replies. It seems like bread, eggs, rice, things that keep like noodles or pasta, and seasonings like soy sauce are good bets. Maybe vegetables too when I get a paycheck...

Thanks for the recipes! You've saved me from starving...I'll think of you all whenever I'm cooking hehe:blobmelt:

Aqua_the_idiot, mir, Arataka and 3 others like this.
  19. babybb

babybb Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ok ok ok ok I gotchu. For starters, at least where I am, produce is much cheaper than premade food. Also, don’t buy organic, it’s not worth it.

Recipe #1:
    The most expensive thing you’re gonna need is rice paper wrappers, but those are like 5 bucks for a 12 oz pack and last a long time. Next, get a whole bunch of produce: lettuce, cabbage, carrots, Thai basil (or substitute for cilantro if you’re extra poor like me). I recommend chopping up all your produce on the weekends so you can use it throughout the week without prepping every time. Here’s a formal ingredient list:

Rice paper wrapping
    Various vegetables/produce (whatever you want)
    Peanut butter
    Soy sauce
    Rice vinegar
    Toasted sesame oil
    Honey
    Vermicelli (optional)
    Water

To make the spring rolls: dip the rice paper wrapping in warm water for about 20 seconds, then place on a plate. Add your cut up vegetables in whatever proportions you’d like. Usually, people put vermicelli in this, but vermicelli takes too much effort to prepare every time and costs extra money so I don’t bother. It’s up to you though. Once your vegetables are all situated in the center area, your rice paper wrapping should be soft. Fold it up as per the instructions on the package and voila, one complete. I usually make a lot of them since they’re so cheap and easy.

For the sauce, in a bowl, mix together 1 spoonful of rice vinegar, 1 spoonful of soy sauce, 1 heaping spoonful of creamy peanut butter, about 1 spoonful of honey, half a spoonful of sesame oil, and about 2 spoonfuls of water. Mix until smooth and then you can just go ahead and dip the rolls in the sauce and eat it as is.

The stuff in the sauce is what costs the most initially (besides the wrappings) but it also lasts a long time and I use it in pretty much everything, so it’s worth buying. On bad weeks where I wasn’t able to afford as much as I could, I’d eat spring rolls with just cabbage in them because it was the cheapest, so cherish your cilantro :blobjoy:
    Recipe #2:
    I’ve mentioned before (I don’t expect you to know this unless you’ve been stalking me lmao) but chicken long rice is one of my favorite comfort foods, and the good news is, ITS CHEAP. Well, almost. Ingredients:

Small carton of chicken (or bone) stock
    Vermicelli
    Soy sauce
    Honey/maple syrup
    Green onions, green and white part
    Ginger
    Garlic
    Chicken (optional)
    Water

To make, in a (roughly 9 inch, but it doesn’t matter much) pan, bring about an inch of water to a boil. Then, add in another inch or two of chicken stock when the water gets lower, I usually end up using an entire small carton, but save a little bit for later. I usually use bone stock since it’s cheaper but it still tastes good, just not chicken-y. As that’s heating up, add in about 2 spoonfuls of garlic paste and 3 spoonfuls of ginger paste. If you want, you can mince your own garlic for cheaper and use slices of raw ginger instead of minced, but it’s up to how you want the texture. Add in the white part of the green onion after a while. The “soup” should be getting a little cooked down, so add in the remaining bit of the chicken stock. Here is where you’ll also want to add in the honey, add in about half a spoonful. If you’re using maple syrup instead (it was free at the cafeteria, and it’s all still sugar in the end) add in about a third of a spoonful. Add in about a spoonful and a half of soy sauce. Let this cook down a little more and then put your vermicelli in, it should soften up pretty quickly. You don’t want to leave it in for too long or it’ll cook down too much, but just keep it soupy enough to still be considered a soup with minimal broth. Add the green part of the green onion last before serving.

If you decide to use chicken in this recipe, cook the chicken separately before the soup part to avoid cross contamination, it’s best not to mess with that kind of stuff when you’re cooking in a college apartment. Trust me on this, you’re not gonna want raw chicken in your mini fridge. Once the chicken is cooked and cooled, shred it before adding it to the soup right around the time you add in the honey. It should get pretty tender by the end.
    Recipe #3:
    You’re probably noticing a trend by now, I have a preference for eastern Asian food lmao. This is probably the easiest recipe I’ll give you, and it tastes really good. Ingredients:

Instant ramen
    Brown sugar
    Soy sauce
    Chili garlic sauce
    Leftover protein

About the leftover protein part, I would usually save any leftover meat I didn’t finish from the cafeteria and cook with it later. This recipe is best with pork, but you can use anything. Just replace the word pork with whatever meat you’ll use, honestly you probably don’t even have to add meat to make it taste good.

First, boil your ramen noodles (don’t use the seasoning packet, you can save that for a later recipe) and drain all but maybe a spoonful or two out. In a separate bowl/cup, add a heaping spoonful of brown sugar, 3 spoonfuls of soy sauce, and as much chili garlic sauce as you want. I usually use about 3 heaping scoops because I have no mercy for my tastebuds. Mix that together and pour a fair amount of it over your noodles, but you can save some sauce for later because it’s a lot. Sauté the noodles and the sauce together until the sugar seems melted into the sauce, and then you can add in the leftover pork. I like to sear my pork before adding it but whatever you like is fine. Let that heat up completely, and then you’re all ready to eat. If it’s not spicy enough you can just add more chili garlic sauce.
    Recipe #4:
    I’m honestly not sure if this even counts as fried rice, but I don’t know what else to call it so this is what I’m sticking with. You’ll need a rice cooker for this one, which I hope you already have because they’re completely essential for college students. Ingredients:

Rice
    Peas
    Corn
    Tomato
    Carrots
    Spam/Vienna sausage/dried meat/etc
    Soy sauce
    Chili garlic sauce

Add a single serving of rice to the rice cooker, wash and drain it, then add half a tomato cut-side down in the center. Around the tomato, place your vegetables, I usually just buy frozen corn and peas and rice up some carrots from the produce section. After that, add in your diced up protein (could be spam, dried sausages, anything, really, just not raw meat because most smaller rice cookers don’t get up to high enough temperatures to kill salmonella etc). Then, add in a little less water than you would for that amount of rice normally, since the tomato will add some water as well, and close the lid and cook it. It’s done when the rice cooker says it’s done. Trust in the rice cooker, our lord and savior appliance. When it’s done, open it up and mix in as much soy sauce and chili garlic paste as you want. Otherwise, it’s pretty bland. Mix the vegetables around so every bite has a bit of everything, and enjoy!
    Recipe #5:
    Well well well, if it isn’t a European recipe. This one uses some different ingredients but it’s still easy and cheap to make. Ingredients:

Starchy rice (I just use the same medium grain white rice as always, to the chagrin of every chef ever)
    Water
    Chicken/bone stock
    Italian herb seasoning mix
    Parmesan
    Onion
    Oil
    Salt/pepper

Start out with your pan, and pour in a couple spoonfuls of oil. Sauté your diced up onion (only use half, it’s a lot) until it’s translucent, then add in your rice grains. I’m gonna get burned at the stake for saying this, but don’t wash your rice beforehand. It fucks everything up. Sauté your rice and make sure to stir constantly until your rice looks almost translucent as well. Then, add in about a cup of your water. Keep stirring until the water level lowers and the rice is in a weird looking bubbling starch substance. Just trust the process. When the water gets too low that the rice is almost sticking to the pan, add some more water. When THIS water lowers again, do the same thing except with the chicken/bone stock. Keep doing this, until you run out of chicken stock and/or the rice seems to not be absorbing any liquid anymore. Add as much Italian seasoning as you want, I like a lot. Then, boil it down until it almost has the texture of porridge or oatmeal, and add in your salt/pepper to taste, adjust your Italian seasoning levels, and add in a generous amount of Parmesan. That’s it. It takes a while for the rice to fully cook and feel free to taste along the way, but the steps are relatively simple. The only thing is, Parmesan is not a very poor person friendly cheese lmao
    I hope this was helpful to you, and a disclaimer, I’m not a chef (obviously). None of my recipes are even remotely close to the real recipe, they’re just a sad, economically stunted version of them that happen to taste pretty good too. I’m not claiming to be a renowned, authentic cook, I just like food. That’s all~ :blobReach:

Baldingere and gtreed like this.
  20. brigs11

brigs11 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I recommend switching over to tea once you've used up your stock of coffee. Healthier and will still give caffeine boost without needing as much add-ons like coffee does(sugar, creamer etc if you don't drink it black).
    Or you could also just drink water and switch to caffeine pills for the maximum value of caffeine.
    As another struggling college student I opted for a mix of tea and caffeine pills.Caffeine pill to knock me awake in the morning and tea for the rest of the day.

Some other tips I learned to not die or go crazy: Use vegetable juice like canned V8 as stock and extra vegetable addition to diet. I make soups etc with v8.
    Buy cheap curry block and chop it into small pieces and use that in cooking to have curry flavored food. Curry block is my mistake fixer because it overpowers everything.
    Both will last forever but I recommend keeping curry block in fridge with as little moisture as possible. It will hvae some condensation you should wipe off after leaving it in there for a while.

Baldingere and gtreed like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.