China Designates Online Boys-Love Games for Banning

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by baka8roukanako, Sep 22, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. baka8roukanako

baka8roukanako Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Source: https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ne...es-online-boys-love-games-for-banning/.177331

China Designates Online Boys-Love Games for Banning
    TV Asahi reported on September 9 that the Chinese Communist Party's Central Public Relations Department instructed online game companies the day before to strictly prohibit boys-love content and other "content that contain false values or illicit material." Chinese officials have designated content with boys-love and "effeminate men" as "inferior culture" and are demanding its unequivocal banning. The department warns that companies that do not comply will be severely punished.

China's government banned television content with "effeminate men" earlier this month in an attempt to enforce "official morality" and "revolutionary culture." The regulators' concern is that Chinese pop stars who look and act effeminate are not encouraging China's young men to be masculine. President Xi Jinping called for tighter Communist Party control of business, education, culture, and religion.

China's National Press and Publication Administration ordered in August that game companies can only offer online game access to players under 18 years old on Friday-Sunday and national holidays between 8:00-9:00 p.m. Companies must also make sure players are using their real names and must prevent those who do not use their true identity from logging in.

In 2019, Chinese officials had ordered that online games would only be playable for a maximum of 90 minutes per day and three hours per weekend, and those hours could not be between 10:00 p.m. and 8:00 a.m. Authorities claimed that the restrictions would prevent young people from becoming addicted to video games. In addition, officials limited the monthly amount that minors could spend on microtransactions.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
  2. perspherspley

perspherspley IZ*ONE

Reading List:
    Link
    I wonder, until when will the Chinese people tolerate Xi Jinping's childishness?

baka8roukanako likes this.
  3. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    Welp.. Truly sweeping changes so suddenly, both with the debt-control on real estate companies and this gaming thingy... They sure are busy.

4. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    It's interesting that there is far more open suppression of BL than there is open suppression of GL. I wouldnt be surprised if there was quiet suppression of GL but... well, i wonder what the official policy is on GL or if it's seen as less of a 'threat' compared to BL?

5. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    I heard about the effeminate man ban already. I had wondered, but had hoped, it wouldn’t extend past that. I’d like to light a candle for my Chinese Fujoshi/Fudanshi brothers and sisters. May this stupidity be overturned quickly.

6. mahina

mahina Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hasn’t Xi Jinping heard of bears?

Oh WAIT.

Well damn, ISO: some brave chad to rule 34 for us so I don’t get banned from China :blobwhistle:

7. Meloonseed

Meloonseed sobble

Reading List:
    Link
    IDK about the BL stuff but the gaming restrictions are a farce. I remember talking about this in my Chinese class.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comm...der18s_to_one_hour/hay3emr/?context=8&depth=9 explains it pretty well. It is definitely going to make it easier for parents to put gaming limits on their kids though.

It's not that there's more open suppression of BL than open suppression of GL, it's just that there's basically no GL media LOL. You had Scum Villain's Self Saving System and Mo dao zu shi, and all the weeb kids were watching them, and IDK about in China but I'm assuming they were pretty popular too. I also recall seeing Chinese BL dramas.
    Have you ever seen any GL media though?

baka8roukanako and Westeller like this.
  8. Grey_Angel

Grey_Angel Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No... this is weird

9. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You ever considered that they may share his values? They are not "Westerners" with a long history of civil rights, they are conservative to a fault and this plays into a lot of what they think is "right". The West massively overestimates opposition to the CCP because most people self project themselves into the "Chinese", not realizing that the cultural differences means that things that would make an American rise up in arms might inversely cause cheers of joy among the Chinese, hence the underestimation of the popularity of the CCP.

ANonMouse and LordCorwin like this.
  10. perspherspley

perspherspley IZ*ONE

Reading List:
    Link
    I am taking it as a whole, and not just this one.
    The censorship, the speaking against their government, and the other stuff that is not allowed in their country, like Horror and Supernatural.

11. Nightow1

Reading List:
    Link
    I suspect they are a lot more tolerant of things like that than in the West. Most western countries rebelled against excessive control into a democratic system, China was the reverse, their history was like a non-stop bloodbath until order came about "at the point of a gun", so compared to the West, we compare it to possible freedom, they compare it to possible bloodbaths. All things considered, the current CCP is actually quite mild, they have not encouraged cannibalism yet. And that wasn't quite black humor, things like that really happened during the Chinese Revolution.

Vanidor likes this.
  12. DeirdreH

DeirdreH Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I would wager that the CCP enjoys more support from the Chinese population than the liberal governments receive from Westerners. China might be the first major nation to start pushing back on the liberal social orthodoxy but it's not going to be the last.

13. Suijin

Suijin Blood God [Medic]

Reading List:
    Link
    OI. you twats. no politics.

14. Nightow1

Reading List:
    Link
    But I fumigated! There definitely can't be more than one tick left on my body!

15. Resinling

Resinling Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Huh. Any news about similar restrictions for girls love/yuri ? I always found it amusing how homophobes concentrated on male on male relationships.

16. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah, right. I saw this thread earlier and was distracted by the news. Yes, no politics.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.