Discussion No more danmei in the future?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Solus, Sep 22, 2021.

1. Solus

Solus 自分のことお嫌いです

Reading List:
    Link
    Nothing official yet but my friend shared a news saying China is going to ban boy's love stuff in the future _(;3/ would that be the end of our danmei supply?

Man, I tried to imagine the day where we only have BG novels to read... it sucks [edit - I don't want to keep reading about screaming women slapping each other and trying their best to get pregnant...]

https://sgcafe.com/2021/09/china-ban-boys-love-content-games/

Source: https://news.tv-asahi.co.jp/news_international/articles/000228418.html

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
  2. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    From what I’ve read, so far it looks like just games and TV are affected. Which is already horrible, yes, but I’m still hoping novels won’t be.

Trusfrated_Bunny likes this.
  3. Despapa69

Despapa69 Revered 17 Syllable Sage

Reading List:
    Link
    Wait really? That shit so popular I wouldn't be surprised if they somehow bypass a loophole and continue to make it.

4. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Pretty sure this will go down in history (books) as the day the People's Republic of China declared war against the fujoshis, alternately known as the Second Chinese Civil War. :blobpeek:

5. Solus

Solus 自分のことお嫌いです

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, praying that novels could be low key enough to go unnoticed... *ignores those famous drama from danmei novels*

eetsome and Anra7777 like this.
  6. Despapa69

Despapa69 Revered 17 Syllable Sage

Reading List:
    Link
    Aye, Imma mark it on my calendars. China will probably lighten the restriction if there's a lot of outrage but eh, it'll be entertaining to spectate.

otaku31 likes this.
  7. Suijin

Suijin Blood God [Medic]

Reading List:
    Link
    haven't heard of that one. but not like I'm paying attention anyways.

most likely it won't be to the extent you guys are fearing about. it will be likely limited from public TV and that. but remain on streaming platforms with an age rating higher than usual. from what I've heard. it is a popular theme, despite it being creepy as fuck with how the fans are. but it won't get completely banned. just limited.
    (which will also be eased and maybe not even enforced, as long as you're above 18 years old)

8. Beer_Kitty

Beer_Kitty Just a very very drunk kitty that likes beer

Reading List:
    Link
    If they banned it, then theres also moving out of china. Just look at their POGO businesses and soon their gaming industries.

I think they will not reverse this since they are really against anything lgbtq+ things.

9. The Hamster Overlord

The Hamster Overlord Mad scientist/Revered wizard/Alleged antichrist

Reading List:
    Link
    That sucks. But I remember how I couldn't find a single GL book on webnovel while there were a bunch of BL and BG about a year ago (deleted the app soon after when I also couldn't find any good novels there) and considering how webnovel is basically a western offshoot of a Chinese Web novel company and how all of Chinese entertainment is literally managed by a single company, I wouldn't put it past them to ban a genre if they so wanted.
    Hoping it doesn't happen.

10. Amaruna Myu

Amaruna Myu ugly squid dokja (●´∀`●)

Reading List:
    Link
    China is doing all this now mainly because of the tensions with the west
    I'm sad
    and also the tech companies

11. IceLight303

IceLight303 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It might happen in mainland china and Hong Kong but there is still Taiwan. Hopefully more writers in Taiwan start going into BL. The few uncensored BL that I've read have come out of Taiwan. Also I guess I could read more Japanese and Korean novels.
    I can see it happening and as a result we will get a lot of novels with 'best friends' and about 'brotherhood'. Though I won't read those as it seems a lot like the characters would be hiding their sexuality and I won't be happy with those endings.

baka8roukanako likes this.
  12. eetsome

eetsome Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    And I was hoping we would be able to see some more than bromance content on Chinese TV soon but guess not

13. IceLight303

Reading List:
    Link
    Mainland China started censoring LGBT content a long time ago. I only watched one series and two movies then stopped because of the censorship. The series was cancelled because of new regulations so I never finished it. One movie was rewritten so that the main characters were just really good friends, who lived together..... Dressed each other...... And managed all their businesses together :blobunsure: yeah they were just friends.... The final movie I watched had two different endings. One was BE, while the other released months after as a Taiwanese only release was HE. Same sex relationships don't have to end in tragedy. Also I know of another series that was being adapted but was receiving to much attention and there two main characters were to close, so it was cancelled and the actors black listed. Last I checked they still had trouble getting work. I was very surprised when founder of diablosim was adapted. It was very censored and played heavily into brotherhood. I haven't watched it and won't.

baka8roukanako likes this.
  14. rhianirory

rhianirory Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I wouldn't be surprised. below the neck content has already been banned for a couple years now and kissing or anything overtly implying same sex pairings in TV or other media has been banned ever since Addicted was taken off the air and the actors were heavily censored (even now they have a ton of restrictions and can't contact each other). this would be the next step in the same direction.
    China does seem to be going backwards as far as LGBT+ rights.

eetsome and baka8roukanako like this.
  15. IceLight303

Reading List:
    Link
    Addicted, that's the series the was cancelled and the actors suffered. I couldn't remember the name. I agree about the going backwards statement.
    Though I do worry not only about LGBT rights but also everyone else as well. They seem to be targeting unmanly men? Will they then target unfeminine women? Will this lead to rules about gender traits, behavior and roles?

16. Trusfrated_Bunny

Trusfrated_Bunny Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Would that mean the upcoming drama's and donghua's based on danmei novels (eg: heaven officials blessing, 2Ha etc) be canceled?

eetsome and baka8roukanako like this.
  17. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wait, they were going forward in the first place? :D
    I won't be too bothered, things like these come in cycles. Once the topic gets off the initial high, enforcement will slack off, then it'll all creep back in again when everyone can't be bothered until some Chinese politician gets another bee in his bonnet and starts a crackdown again, which will then die off again ad infinitum.

18. baka8roukanako

baka8roukanako Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Rather than cancelling, they'll probably re-shoot them and turn them into hetero romances.

Trusfrated_Bunny likes this.
  19. Solus

Solus 自分のことお嫌いです

Reading List:
    Link
    It's kinda ironic that in most danmei I read, the author will write "It's already xxxx year, our country is very open-minded now. Same gender marriage/relationship is very normal"

In reality, the rule is getting tighter like their high-ups' chrysanthemum :v

Sutad Aatma, House Fairy and Nightow1 like this.
  20. 01

01 [REDACTED]

Reading List:
    Link
    China govt sure got their priorities.... straight.