Discussion Boruto vs Naruto (Boruto stans(

Discussion in 'Anime Discussion' started by Emissary Nouvelle, Nov 3, 2021.

1. Emissary Nouvelle

Emissary Nouvelle Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Again not a Boruto hater since I didn't watch a lot of it (at most a disliker) but I did watch some and skip forward episodes at a time so I get the gist. With that being said it's pure trash.

Now there are voices out there saying it's a different series and it they can't be compared but that argument is easily defeated by many facts but I'll just use one, the main character of Naruto is in it and it begins in the leaf with similar themes. It's IMPOSSIBLE to shake the comparison so it will never be a true stand alone series.

My question is having watched the original Naruto with it's ups and downs but yea it's like movies with suspension of disbelief since logic takes the back burner in movies but to a lesser extent since anime are meant to be crazy fictional, so having watched that how could anyone possibly settle for the trash that is Boruto? Naruto began when anime was anime with dark themes without the latest cartoonish trends in animation, things were simpler and more impactful then but whatever, that's not the main comparison, ironically it's not one point that can be compared but all.

Villains (Itachi, Tobi/Obito/Madara(?), Deidra with his flare, stiff fool sasori beaten by she who must not be named and an old lady, Orchimaru the original in the first Naruto with his theme music, the rest of the Akatsuki) I would continue in all categories but the point is how could anyone who has watched the first Naruto be a fan of Boruto (screw the manga).

The only thing that makes sense is 12 year olds are commenters and in this day and age by the millions. They weren't there for the original Naruto and only catched the late parts of Shippuden so they don't have standards. It wouldn't be a problem if it was a different story set 200 or 1000 years from Naruto but it's practically just after so it craps on the legacy as if talk no jutsu solving all conflicts easily by villains who should've iced the non-sterotypical un handsome blonde wasn't enough.

baka8roukanako likes this.
  2. IceLight303

IceLight303 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    We'll I can't say anything about the quality because I was waiting for it to end before watching it or at least get a few seasons out. However
    Kerala dies, so the nine tailed fox dies. :blob_catflip:
    After confirming this I have chosen to not watch or read it.

Manor and RiboseSugar like this.
  3. Kairil

Kairil Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just my 2 cents, but as far as I know the author of Naruto's died quite some time ago and Boruto's made by his brother, among others.

Read "O Parts Hunter" (or 666 Satan, it's the same thing) to get some look into the younger Kishimoto's way of telling a story etc. You'll see quite some similarities to Naruto, but also differences. And that's the thing I want to point out - different story in the same universe, done by another author. Brother or not, it won't ever be able to be the same thing, have the same feel as the work of the original Mangaka.

Deleted member 369806 likes this.
  4. Liyus

Liyus Laksha's Desu~ Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    I liked naruto, never watched Boruto. for me Boruto isn't a sequel, but more of a fanfiction work....(as a matter of fact the author is different)

5. anotherAniket

anotherAniket Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    *spoilers ahead*

Naruto was an emotional and personal journey accompanied by a beautiful soundtrack. Every villain had a character, a backstory. Every death was meaningful. It has lots of nostalgic moments. I clearly remember one of the first villains team 7 fought: Zabuza and Haku. That hype build-up for Madara. Jiraiya's death. Minato vs Obito is like one of my favourite fights ever. That moment when Konoha villagers lift Naruto and celebrate after he defeated Pain. And we actually realise just how far Naruto has come.

Boruto was a cash grab, standing on the shoulders of Naruto from the start. Deaths are played for more of a shock than anything. I haven't connected to it on the same level as Naruto. It will never be as memorable.
    Power levels are completely messed up. Original characters are intentionally made weaker just so that newer characters can shine. The new generation (literally kids) is getting power-ups without doing anything. It feels so forced and unearned. Everyone is using Shadow clone jutsu and throwing Rasengans. Sarada acquired Sharingan which requires strong emotional trauma through her reunion with her dad lol. That Mitsuki has already a sage mode, the kid is like 12. The soundtrack is lacking. Gotta go.

Honestly, I would've much preferred a stand-alone Itachi series than Boruto which uses the same structure, same friendship formula as Naruto.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2021
  6. foxyprince

foxyprince Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    for me it'll be hard for like the new character to really step into the limelight unless sasuke and naruto goes out of commission I feel like the next arc should have been like at least 300 years after the naruto arc. And honestly I thought sasuke and naruto would be a lot lot more stronger in the boruto arc... specially naruto cuz kagebunshin for him is like a biggest cheat code, what's stopped him before is kurama wrecking about when he used up his chakra but after the war they are like best buds what was stopping him from like learning everything possible and surpassing even the 1st hokage in terms of masteries of techniques, sure no way he can surpass him in chakra volume but hey I would think he would be in tailed beast charka volume when he's older as well preventing even those aliens to wreck havoc. but hey new generations of fans right... so whatever hahaha.

RiboseSugar likes this.
  7. Beer_Kitty

Beer_Kitty Just a very very drunk kitty that likes beer

Reading List:
    Link
    Naruto is good, and still better than Boruto.

To me Boruto looked like a fanfic insert of someone who liked Naruto.

The thing that ticks me off about Boruto is that, you have given the topline kind of villains in Naruto with Madara, Orochimaru and Kaguya on godlike status. Then you put crap villains on Boruto that basically shits on Naruto and Sasuke. Like wtf. Where were you during the war where everyone gets taken in by the ninjutsu.
    And no one touches best boy Kurama

8. 0000000

0000000 I B SMILING!

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh. The original author died.

9. Elementarteilchen

Elementarteilchen Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I watched 28 episodes of Boruto and really tried to like it, but in the end I dropped it.
    As far as I remember it was far too episodic. Worst of all were the messed up power levels. You didn't even have a feeling, who is strong or weak. It was like in the old cartoons. Suddenly everyone can put up a fight and win, if it's convinient or loose for the purpose of "plot".

10. IceLight303

IceLight303 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, the Kurama part hurt me, more then I thought.

11. sekach

sekach Outer Disciple

Reading List:
    Link
    No, he is still alive. Osamu Kobayashi died. Google it.

12. Kairil

Kairil Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Truely, my uninformed bad.

Well... in that case, I have to say that Boruto is worse than Dragon Ball GT...

ChronaZero likes this.
  13. Deleted member 369806

Deleted member 369806 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree, as Boruto is the sequel, both series do have a connection and a very strong one at that, and while I also agree that Naruto is much better, I can't say that Boruto is bad, you will be disappointed if you compare the two no matter what, but think about it, Naruto is the story of an Orphan boy who grew up in a fantasy like environment with wars and conflicts around the corner, not to mention the background stories of many characters, so you connected with the many characters and your attachment to that environment is understandable as that setting is your first impression about that anime, and first impressions always affect you the most, and seeing how most fans grew up following the growth of Naruto as a character, it is also another reason why it is hard for you to accept Boruto, but here is the problem, you are measuring Boruto by Naruto standards, let me explain what I mean here.
    Boruto while it is a continuation but it tells a whole different storie, to begin with, while they started the same, but Naruto did it for recognition from everyone while Boruto did it to get the attention from his father, Boruto isn't an orphan like Naruto, if anything the anime tells how Naruto kept his promise of making a better ninja world but that affected his relationship with his family, Boruto who grew up as a genius unlike Naruto, didn't need that much hard work but he lacked recognition from his father, he is basically a young Sasuke but without the clan drama (as such issues were fixed by Naruto after he became hokage) and is much friendlier or rather quite the extrovert, Konoha also no longer just what it used to be as it accepted technology and no longer just closed (just a ninja village) as it welcomed many people now, so it is no longer just for ninjas of shinobis, and so many things were changed, from a poor village that mainly got its money from doing missions, it now became like somesort of modern city but with ninjas, that is why ninjas and shinobis aren't as important and looks more weaker compared to those in Naruto (not to mention that alot of the older generations died so the new generation growing up in such peaceful environment isn't as strong or skilled), and while I agree that both Naruto and Sasuke were nerfed, but it does make sense or rather, it is a realistic touch to the series, like, Naruto is basically just an office worker at this point, not much action going on in his life, Sasuke is just traveling around doing secret missions, just some spy work, no longer focusing on some revenge or getting stronger, he became content with his new life and powers so it also makes sense that he got weaker (it is sad to see previous characters nerfed so much, but hate it or like it, it makes sense).
    Naruto and Boruto is basically like comparing a kid from the nineties or eighties from the hoods or somewhat poor country to their descendant from a somewhat similar era to the 21st century era who grew up in a somewhat rich modern city, so yeah, there is no way of seeing the two as same but at the same time, you can't break the connection, I like to think of Naruto as people trying to find their living in a myth like era, while Boruto is just people with chackra powered weapons against aliens, and yeah definitely, the process of development or change was too fast from Naruto to Boruto, with that war with Kaguya and such, Naruto did it nevertheless, it came with a cost but he did it XD
    But tbh, no matter what, Boruto lacks the hype that was in Naruto, and that is the main issue to me, it is like when I watched OPM I was instantly attracted but with OPM season 2, I kind of didn't care that much

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2021
  14. Norwegian Viking

Norwegian Viking Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i remember the epilogue of naruto and got pissed that for some weird reason kishimoto forgot to give boruto the hyuga eyes but somehow remembered to give it to his sister and when he got asked about it he did actually just forget and i was like "how could you forget something so important when you made a huge deal about bloodlines in naruto and even gave it to borutos sister, but now you suddenly forgot? it is not like only himawari is hinatas child so how in the world did you mess that up".
    i did give the 1st chapter a chance in case he remembered and retconned it but when he did not i dropped it

15. Deleted member 369806

Reading List:
    Link
    He got something else, in one eye, but it is better than nothing XD

16. baka8roukanako

baka8roukanako Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree, OP. I gave Boruto a chance. I really did. I even watched episodes at random, because, hey, maybe the start is shit, but it gets better later on. Nope. Everything about Boruto is a cheap knock-off of Naruto. I mean EVERYTHING. From characters (just look at the chara designs and abilities of the new generation) to story arcs. It's literally Copy-And-Paste The Animation. There is so little original about Boruto it's not even funny, but the worst offence is that they made the copied elements EVEN WORSE by dumbing them down and discarding all nuance. This is the laziest writing in anime I've ever seen and I've seen more than 400 anime. They also made the new generation look somehow competent...by nerfing the adults. This is a cardinal sin. Sasuke and Naruto are god-tier in their universe, yet they job like noobs to opponents they easily outmaneuvered by brainwork alone before they got major power-ups back in Shippuden. There is this feel of discontinuity too, to offer one example - Orochimaru was a heinous criminal who committed genocide-level crimes back in Naruto, but hardly anybody bothers with that in Boruto and the snake man is even treated as a source of jokes? WTF. Are the writers even familiar with Naruto beyond reading guidebooks and wikipedia pages? And what's with this new tech appearing over, what?, a course of ~10 years? It's not even fitting within the universe and is frankly disrespectful to all the lore of Naruto. Let's not even get into technicalities - the animation looks cheap, the fights are hardly ever exciting or animated beyond the bare acceptable minimum, the soundtrack is lacking. If even MAL users gave this show a score of 5.89, you know there has been a major screw-up.

The only reason Boruto exists is because Shueisha and TV Tokyo and are creatively bankrupt and won't bother turning a new manga series into the next hot thing.

There are more plotholes and inconsistencies like that. Like how Ao survived if he was in the epicentre of the explosion? Why do Naruto and Sasuke 'conveniently forget' their abilities during fights? Why did they ridiculously power-up Mitsuki at the beginning, but later nerfed him into insignificance even as he watches Konoha ninja die?

17. Beer_Kitty

Beer_Kitty Just a very very drunk kitty that likes beer

Reading List:
    Link
    No one gonna defend Boruto(shit)???

All negatives lol.

18. Deleted member 369806

Reading List:
    Link
    I think you are ignoring some points here, like alot of stuff that happened in shippuden, this one of them

I tried, but got to admit, it lacks the hype, most fans don't care about continuity as much as the hype in the series XD

19. ongoingwhy

ongoingwhy Meat Pie Lover

Reading List:
    Link
    ...I mean, is it a surprise? Naruto declined right at the start of Shippuden and became complete garbage after Pain attacked Konoha. Like, how could you even take the story seriously after Pain accepted Naruto's bullshit and revived everyone? You shouldn't have any expectation since Boruto has to continue after the nonsensical latter part of Naruto. In my opinion, Kishimoto should have gone for a prequel about the First Great Ninja War.

20. Deleted member 369806

Reading List:
    Link
    :blob_plusone:

ongoingwhy likes this.