Question Why are modern day Billionaires Arrogant?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by BB1000, Nov 5, 2021.

1. BB1000

BB1000 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hello, I have a question about Chinese Light Novels, where Rich wealthy individuals are able to absolutly break the law, and are actually respected for it by law enforcement. In some novels you have ceos denanding false charges brought to someone, and the person being accused is held and schemed in prison by said authorities. Is this how the rich are in China?

kkgoh likes this.
  2. animefan217

animefan217 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    tbf stuff like that similarly happens irl

3. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I thought that was one of the perks of being super rich anywhere— to legally flout laws. As they say: All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others. :blobwhistle:

Westeller and aShinyVaporeon like this.
  4. Slief

Slief Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It definitely happens irl, but the chinese novels portray it as something that's normal and happens everyday like how this guys uncle is chief of law enforcement and so the laws automatically don't apply to him. And how the guys can abuse his authority whenever he wants.

5. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not only China. For example, Sidney Sheldon's book, "If Tomorrow Comes" has a similar starting plot where a rich man schemes with her defence lawyer to sabotage her. So it's hardly a new plot or unique to China.

Fluffums, ongoingwhy and otaku31 like this.
  6. pentadrian

pentadrian Wandering donut

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't look at books. Look at Elon Musk and Bezos. They're downright evil. You don't become a billionaire without ruining people's lives

7. Kemm

Kemm Custom title

Reading List:
    Link
    Nope.

There was this famous case in China where a guy ran over and killed a poor female college student, got out of the car and ran amok, shouting that his father was a local government worker and that everyone should bow to him. He also got caught on video. After a farce of a trial, the guy got away with an insincere public apology and his father was transferred to a different region, still with a similar position and same pay (they didn't even had to pay compensation to the bereaved family). It was lauded in chinese social networks as "a victory for the common man".

Besides that, any non-hongkonese chinese rich person can get away with any crime just by paying a poor soul to receive the punishment instead, no matter if it's a year in jail, life imprisonment or even a death sentence.

And about the question in the title, because they can afford it.

8. rhianirory

rhianirory Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    China's legal and political system is extremely corrupt. bribes and worse are common.

bkwusa, gyan7 and Diagon Alleycat like this.
  9. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    In China and Korea, chaebol culture exists. You aren't simply rich, you also come from a powerful family.

10. Lovise

Lovise Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Here is a thing I learn from business: No company can become powerful without government's hand. Every corps that is worth billions of dollar in this Era is somehow linked with the government.

Since Elon was used as an example, the scammer received a greenlight from Las Vegas to build his hyperscam. The gov clearly used tax dollars to fund the "project". There is a reason why wealthy people do everything they can to not pay taxes to the gov. Can't become a billionaire without government support in the shadow.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2021
    MEGA SPARTA CHICKEN likes this.
  11. NoName

NoName Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't forget the king of all evil

12. Viator

Viator [Cult of Pyoo: Pyoo's Oak Tree]

Reading List:
    Link
    "Give me control of a nation’s money supply, and I care not who makes its laws.” - Mayer Amschel Rothschild

Money rules the world. With enough wealth you can get away with almost anything. The only exception seems to be if you offend other wealthy people and break some silent rules, your peers will take you down. You will be offered up as a sacrifice to show the common man "justice" to keep them happy.

aShinyVaporeon likes this.
  13. Lord Sith Lego

Lord Sith Lego Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes this is what happened to Harvey Weinstein one of the rich elite that control Hollywood. Thrown under the bus by his own peers but who knows what is going on behind the scenes.

14. Grey_Angel

Grey_Angel Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What's the difference between Hong Kong?

15. Bachingchung

Bachingchung Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Lots of poor people and middle class are arrogant and rude already, why would you expect for someone with a higher disposition in life to be nicer? If someone with authority and money suddenly become nice to you, it's either there are cameras around or they want your ass.

16. Kemm

Kemm Custom title

Reading List:
    Link
    Hong Kong was a british colony until 1997 and they got corrupted with things like capitalism, freedom of tought and speech and whatnot. While the Popular Republic of China had vowed to keep the region autonomous, it couldn't stand such filth in their domains, so it started cracking down on the city. Among the many measures taken, they prevent Hong Kong native billionaires that have not pledged allegiance to the Party (which to my knowledge is all of them) from hiring scapegoat doubles.

Grey_Angel likes this.
  17. BB1000

BB1000 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for the answers, If All this is true, then even more support for antagonism of China from me.

18. Kevin Park

Kevin Park Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, it's true for all countries. I have a friend from China who didn't have to care about quarantine laws cause they're from a powerful family. As for Korea, there's literally a saying "유전무죄, 무전유죄", which can be translated to be "the rich are innocent and the poor are guilty". Even in the U.S, as long as you're rich enough, the law bends itself for you. For example, fast food companies can get by with a lot of things simply because of how much of an influence they have on the economy. You can read "Fast Food Nation" to learn more about it.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2021
    Rumby and Saorihirai like this.
  19. kkgoh

kkgoh Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I resent the title "Why are Modern Day Billionaires Arrogant?"
    Majority of extremely wealthy folk throughout the ages have been arrogant and lawless. There are rare exceptions for sure though, and I personally know one billionaire who has been a consistently decent chap.

If you're asking "Why are modern Chinese billionaires so ostentatious?"
    A lot of them came into wealth recently with the way modern economics works ... you know, the nouveau riche/parvenu kinds. They're not all that classy, so the main thing they do with their wealth is spend it on in-your-face lavish ways. They often bring their hedonistic lawless ways to foreign countries ... think of how many times some CN millionaire/billionaire was literally caught with his pants down overseas.

20. aShinyVaporeon

aShinyVaporeon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it's more of a matter where OP is asking why modern billionaires are so lawless when society should have progressed beyond that stage...but I could be wrong.

Also, about the topic of the thread, there's probably some degree of exaggeration since novels, especially web novels, tend to sensationalize things. Whether real billionaires are like that, well, I dunno, since it seems they also control the media to some extent so it's hard to get a good handle on it. After all, the media tends to sensationalize things as well, even if we don't talk about the pressure rich people exert on the media. But I don't doubt that there's some corruption going on behind the scenes.

kkgoh likes this.