Mobile sites are stupid. Site designer clearly don't understand how to design a website.

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by xiazixin, Nov 9, 2021.

1. xiazixin

xiazixin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    [​IMG]
    50% of screen space are gone, with camera video ads.:facepalm::blobfearful:

Though eos R and RP are good cameras.
    Dammed my personal data got leaked some how.

Stephane and Ddraig like this.
  2. Miku

Miku

Reading List:
    Link
    Android? why not use firefox and use ublock origin?

predictingthings likes this.
  3. phobos

phobos Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    saying nothing about the general situation but than again soulland in special they include commercials in their anime version
    so moneymaking on their side isnt really suprising

4. xiazixin

Reading List:
    Link
    Personally I think ads should at most only took up 10% of screen space.
    Not 50%.

It's pointless, it's just playing cat and mouse.

5. sgrey

sgrey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The ad looks to have a close button. Does it not work? I ran into these kinds before and they usually close without problems.
    not really pointless. It's not like you are the one doing all the work. Ad blockers do a phenomenal job on block majority of the ads.

6. xiazixin

Reading List:
    Link
    Close button often lead you to an external site that 80% of times been malicious.
    And often than not they will come back ofter 5 to 10 sec with another ads, that's how they maximize the profits.
    The ads company really wants you to press that close button.

That defeat the point of putting so much ads in the screen. Some sites really like to fuck their readers with video ads, banner that cover halve the screen.

A server with 80mbps of speed, 2 CPU threads, 2GB of ram and 80 GB of hard disk cost about 10 USD per year locally. It's sufficient for text base translations.
    Seriously, what's the point of putting so much ads when people are going to ads block anyway.

7. sgrey

sgrey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    yea, that's true, but what about this specific ad? I doubt that this site will have the ad with malicious links in them. Usually ads that have malicious links are the ones you catch on sites like illegal torrent or the ones that try to do phishing attacks of the type "your computer is infected" or try to encrypt your disk

well, why would you need to care about monetization strategy of some site or an app? It's their problem. Just as much a web site has a right to put ads on the screen, you as a reader have a right not to see them. Adblocks actually are also effective for video ads and other type of ads. There are also some advanced features that block script ads. Brave has this kind of thing by default, other browsers can use some kind of ad block plugin that can also block them. I bet that if the ads were minimal and non-intrusive overall, then fewer people would bother with adblocks. But the ads like in your example just block your view and pop up from everywhere, so adblock is the response to that. In addition ads are just malicious as they capture user information and forward it for data mining. Screw ads.

8. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    That's nothing, I've seen some crappy mobile sites (webnovel) where the mobile website is more resource intensive than the desktop website!

End of the day, most mobile websites are 2nd thought as they try to force people to download their webapps.

Ddraig and xiazixin like this.
  9. xiazixin

Reading List:
    Link
    that's so true.
    Though I must say, most sites with boot straps are fine, Since most bootstraps users have the idea of Media Queries with mobile webpage, but WordPress, the nested comments are just not readable after top 3 comments.
    And I have seen literally many sites widths broke with banner ads on mobile device, everything all over place.
    I'm thinking of bring this up on the next and up coming WordPress contributors day meetups, if there ever going to be one in the pandemics.

Wordpress is just not optimize for mobiles.

though their desktop sites isn't much better.

I see them use VUE.js on desktop version of sites, did they change on mobile?
    I actuarily thought that VUE.js is the lightest on of the three frame works.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2021
  10. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    Media queries help make the sites scale better, but not everyone does testing across all devices. And if the programmer isn't setting max and min sizes properly for flowing elements, they can end up weird when someone enters more content then intended into the space.

It isn't, but it still loads 5X faster than the mobile site. Which is ironic since usually mobile should be faster! (And I mean opening the desktop site on a phone is faster than the mobile site)

I think they stopped updating their mobile site and just tell everyone to go get the app. That said, sure VUE is the lightest of the 3 big frameworks. But that is relative, it is still a HUGE footprint.

In reality, most sites don't even need these bloated frameworks. When you are making FB with all kinds of reactive elements, sure it may make sense. But for most sites it is just overkill. The only thing that makes a reactive framework bearable to some extent is if they do server side rendering which most don't.

for reference, one can see how much performance these js frameworks have here:
    https://krausest.github.io/js-framework-benchmark/2021/table_chrome_95.0.4638.54.html

xiazixin likes this.
  11. xiazixin

Reading List:
    Link
    yeah, true, setting each of those for different containers are not how most people wanted to build their sites and spent months polishing it.

I actually thought that reactive websites are the new trends lol. and they are popular lol
    maybe I was wrong.

12. Molen

Molen Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    have you tried opera browser for android? i rarely got ads using opera, it even block most ads that somehow bypass other browser adblock

dont use it in iphone though, it wont block any ads

xiazixin likes this.
  13. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    Dont forget the current trend of mobile ui designs being used on both desktop and mobile under """cross-platform ui with mobile first ideas""". Aka not only does the site suck on mobile, often purposefully, due to wanting users to download an app, but also the shitty design propagates to desktop websites and they suck just as hard :)

gangbuntu and xiazixin like this.
  14. Stephane

Stephane Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That's still bearable. Did website designers ever thought that no one in this world wants videos on their sites to autoplay?

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
    xiazixin likes this.
  15. xiazixin

Reading List:
    Link
    That's so true.
    Tired of seeing sites like that, some times really makes reading novels at aggregator sites easier. Miss the time when websites are design with flash and tables.
    Things where much friendly those days.
    All I need is a really basic text.txt file online to read.

Stephane likes this.
  16. Stephane

Stephane Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You really sound like the kind of guy, that might just read a light novel in a .txt file from his terminal.

xiazixin likes this.
  17. xiazixin

Reading List:
    Link
    Personally I don't pay for my hosting and editors, so I have my sites ads free. Though the up time is not so good. Expecially in recent years, as I dropped translating novels for a few years I really can't be bothered by it.

Stock WordPress without much plug in is really small, but user requests log file is quite large. With a few gigabytes of text file.

Although I do use to pay for a server for some other things (other things not hosting novels) which expired about 2 months ago. And after owning for 3 years there isn't really much uses.

Servers are pretty useless actually, it's better to have a media server at home for 4k hdr surround sound movies.
    Or Nas if you work with pictures like those mangadex scanlators. Or openwrt if you want better management or proxies.

I really can't be bothered by analytics, ads, anti-spam.
    Even my sites use capcha for comments than anti-spam.

I have dropped or skipped about 4 novels this years on NU due to ads.
    There are just better novels translated by better sites with less intrusive ads.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2021
  18. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh, thanks for bumping this thread, I almost missed the spam bot because he took a while to edit his post~

You should just report those people instead of bothering with replying to them though... >.>

19. BurgerKong

BurgerKong Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    They make their mobile sites as bad as possible because they want to push you towards downloading their app.

20. Jojo775

Jojo775 Honorary Algae Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm watching Amazon AWS course on work and you can't rotate horizonatally coz it doesn't capture the whole sceen and you can't really scroll... I mean Amazon it's an Amazon site.