LCD Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka?

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by TUSF, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Kphone89

Kphone89 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You really overestimate the emotions of a creature (classroom spider) that has no concept of compassion, empathy, being a loner, a laundry list, etc. Spiders and many other animals and creatures have no regard for other creatures. Creatures that lack a bottom line of intelligence (such as spiders, dogs, cats) don't have a personality or predisposition at all. They live to meet their needs (which includes continuing to live and reproducing; and repaying a debt of being saved falls under continuing to live).
    What drugs are you on that make you think spiders are high-level intellectual personality-driven lifeforms? Are you trolling?

2. CountryMage

CountryMage [XSanguine8] not my blood...

Reading List:
    Link
    You're overthinking the soul thing, the higher level dragons are pretty much confirmed to not have souls, so a classroom spider could easily have enough to cover what Kumoko has.

3. Arha

Arha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm sorry that I read the story and noticed what personality traits the characters have.

Where'd you get the no soul thing from? We know they have souls given that the dragons often throw theirs into a blender to chop it up for resources.

4. Draconic

Draconic Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Unless something drastic changed in the LN, dragons do have souls. And how would only higher level ones not have souls? Would they lose it while leveling up? I thought that's the opposite of how the system works.

I think you are overthinking both the soul thing and the spider thing. If Shiro/Kumoko (I will just call her Shiro for simplicity) had even a sliver of D's soul, she would have started with a million skill points instead of a hundred. Even the "cheat" skill she started with is a completely normal skill when compared to what the others got.
    As for the spider part, my thoughts are all over the place, so I might not be able to properly phrase them, but I think you place too much emphasis on her soul being the soul of a spider. She no longer is one, and she developed into her own personality. And to me, it really didn't seem similar to D's.
    Interesting discussion though, especially since we are all just guessing based on our own interpretations of the story.

5. Arha

Arha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    She does have a tiny sliver of D's soul. It gives her fake memories and seems to have served as a partial basis for her personality. It's also why she's proficient in dark magic and stuff when she at least believes that her only natural talent is space magic. But she isn't D or a clone of her or anything. Honestly, I think of it as being more like Shiro's mom. She's inherited a bit of her personality, but she's definitely her own person.

6. CountryMage

Reading List:
    Link
    I got that they don't have souls from what the Darkness dragon was thinking in the fight with Wrath. They believe they are just high level NPCs.
    Edit: I'm talking about the dragons of that world, not the Dragons on other worlds, like Gyurie, that are basically gods themselves.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2021
  7. Arha

Arha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Right, but we know they have souls because they have skills. Skills are pieces of the soul turned into power, which are then gouged out by the system and used for fuel upon death. They also frequently do that thing that all of Ariel's friends did where they dedicate their souls to the system and have them ground up for the energy to hopefully make the system shut down a little faster. One of them even just did it.

8. CountryMage

Reading List:
    Link
    That's one of those neither here nor there things though, since the whole system is made of souls, the skills are souls grafted onto your souls, but the non player monsters are also basically the same soul slurry (as a skill) molded into a believable living creature.

Edit: I mean to say that while D's system grafts skills onto human (player) souls, the non human characters are formed of the stuff, so it's their bodies that the skills get added onto. It's why they get evolutions.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2021
  9. Arha

Arha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know where you got that from, so I find it hard to argue against what you're saying. I can say that it would be defeating the point of the system to allow its resources to be drained as fast as monsters reproduce, however, because each new creature would require it to make a new artificial soul or whatever it is you're saying. Since there are monsters that basically never die normally (arch taratects, elder dragons, fenrir etc) that's basically permanently removing energy. Much easier to just reuse any old soul.

I mean, monsters didn't come into existence naturally, which I acknowledge. But at this point they're a self sustaining population that don't just spawn in. They have emotions (fear, etc, as we've seen) and some level of intelligence. Basically, they're animals with superpowers, not just magic robots pretending to be alive.

10. Wannabe-shutin

Wannabe-shutin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The author just posted two new chapters.

edit: there’re 4 new chapters now.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2022
  11. Nighthawlc

Nighthawlc Nyan nyan nyan nyan

Reading List:
    Link
    The author said they're going to update it every six hours.

Wannabe-shutin likes this.
  12. kari-no-sugata

kari-no-sugata Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    With the LNs coming to an end, I suspected it would happen...
    I'm currently on holiday so won't be able to start translating soon. I currently expect to be back home on Sunday...

13. Dr_H_16

Dr_H_16 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you for everything! You're the best!

14. Arha

Arha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmmm. On the one hand, yay, new chapters. On the other hand, it sounds very much like the author is trying to end the series soon, which makes it very unlikely that D is going to get punched in the face.

15. waleuska

waleuska Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    D is superpowerful. She can do what she wants because she have the power to back it up.

16. Arha

Arha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Doesn't mean I can't want her to get punched in the face. She's the villain of the story and at the present rate she'll face no consequences for her actions.

17. Wannabe-shutin

Wannabe-shutin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It happened in the light novel: when shiro found out about sensei she was pissed, teleported to earth and punched D in the face, blowing up her head. D let her do it and just restored it, but that allowed the maid to find her.

18. lekxman22

lekxman22 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Guys we are back in action i guess.
    Anyway it seems it will be ending soon my favorite novel feels sad after long time i guess<3

19. Draconic

Draconic Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Why is she the villain of the story? Unless the LN changed a lot more things that I'm unaware of, she didn't really do anything villainous that I can remember.
    ed.: Though I can totally understand wanting too see her get punched in the face.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2022
  20. Arha

Arha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    She is absolutely horrible in the WN. She's a great character and one of my favorites, but she is almost completely lacking in any form of redeeming characteristic.