Novel ✪ Memory Corruption (R-18) (Book 1 and 2 Finished) (Book 3 on release now)

Discussion in 'Community Fictions' started by GiBro, Jul 2, 2021.

1. GiBro

GiBro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Dear readers,

Happy New Year!
    I'm gonna leave a small teaser, the first chapter of Ryan's POV.

Hope you'll enjoy:
    -Ryan Alexander Desmond, twenty one.

-That would be me. -Ryan looked at her, still sitting in a position that showed his urge to get up and leave. -Thought we could skip this part.

-I'm Cecilia Larson, and it's a pleasure to meet you… Should I call you Ryan? -The woman blinked her azure eyes with amusement at his dry tone. -Or do you prefer Desmond?

-Desmond will do. -He cleared his throat and sighed. -How does this work? From what I get, what I have to do is to prove that I'm not crazy and that I didn't turn to their side, right?

Cecilia smiled gently, arranging the papers on her desk and leaning back on her chair.

-It's mostly about making sure you understand what you've been through during the war and absorbing that experience as something that is over and can't and shouldn't harm you or haunt you. -She explained. -It's not about judging you or spying on you, Desmond. It's a therapy, to help you heal.

-Great! It's done, then. I'm ok, I don't need any healing. -He sighed. -You can sign the papers. As you can see, I'm normal.

-I'm afraid that's not how it works, I'm sorry. We have a minimum amount of hours of therapy we need to reach before I can state your case and I'll only sign it once I'm really sure you're ok.

-Alright then, ask whatever you want, let's get this done. -He pressed his lips but nodded.

-Please make yourself comfortable, this will take a while. It's a one hour session. -She eyed his foot as it was tapping repeatedly. -You don't need to be nervous, Desmond, everything you say is protected and is confidential, I guarantee.

-Unless I say something compromising. If so, it will go straight to the army to get me arrested. Yeah, whatever, I've got nothing to hide. -He shrugged, quickly darting his glance from the microphone to her face. -I'm comfortable here, you may start.

-Let's begin with you telling me about your childhood, then…. -She moved the microphone so it would be out of his direct sight, but still capture his voice as clearly as possible.

-You know you can only join the army when you're seventeen or more, right? It has absolutely nothing to do with my childhood. -He creased his eyebrows, irritated with the impractical request. -Let's go straight to what matters, I've killed people. I remember every shot I landed, and I'm proud of almost all of them. I already know it can shatter your soul, I've read Harry Potter. My soul is fine and I didn't spread horcruxes, just sign the papers and let me go. I won't do it. I'm not gonna play the victim and cry about some scratched knee when I was eight.

-It's part of the process to go through regression. It helps you understand yourself and the pillars that built the feelings and moral guidelines you have today. But if you don't feel comfortable about revealing things about your early life, it's alright, we can work on this later. Tell me about when you joined the army, then, Ryan. What motivated you to join?

-Why is that important?

-It's important to build the scenery of the circumstances. Please, feel free to establish another starting point, if you feel better.

-I can't feel better, I didn't want to do this shit, to begin with! -He grunted and looked away. -Tell me what you need to know! Ask something! Ask me something I can answer directly!

-Did you have many friends at school, Ryan? -She asked in a very calm tone.

-What? -He looked up with an outraged expression.

-What's the name of your best childhood friend? The closest person you had in your early days? Let's start when you were eight, or ten, who was your best friend? What's his name?

-Richard. -He looked down and huffed. This thing can't get any more ridiculous.

-Were you very close by then?-She tilted her head, taking notes. He frowned as he looked up and noticed she was writing three or four lines, instead of just the name.

Ryan just stared at her. She waited.

-Is that really important? -He sighed. She just nodded and he rolled his eyes. -We were inseparable.

-What is the most pleasing moment you remember, about being together with him? And how old were you by then?

-I don't know… -He mused. This way it was getting easier. It was as if he was being interrogated, much easier to keep talking. -Think it was when we went to Paris for the first time. I was thirteen.

-You two used to travel a lot together? -She took more notes.

-Yes, three to six times a year, I think. -He looked up with a nostalgic smile. It was a beautiful sight. -We had plans of traveling around the world, to all countries, together.

She smiled kindly.

-What was so special about that trip?

He blushed. Ryan felt a sting on his chest and regretted picking that trip for reference.

-I don't want to talk about it. -He said, bluntly. She observed him for a few seconds, then nodded and wrote more lines. He started to feel really annoyed. What the fuck are you writing there?

-How old were you when you last traveled with him? Where did you go?

-I was fifteen or fourteen… Fifteen, it was my birthday trip, I got to choose. -He grimaced, then looked down and gulped. -It was our second visit to Paris.

-What did you do there? You seem to have some important memories about that place. Especially that second trip.

He looked up. What the hell? What gave it away? He hesitated. She waited.

-What happened in Paris, Desmond? -Cecilia tried to encourage him.

-Nothing. -He murmured. His ears turned pink, but he recovered fast, clearing his throat.

-Is it embarrassing? -She seemed genuinely curious. -Something illegal? You don't need to tell me now, if this will make you feel violated somehow… But it looks like it's something important to you, maybe we should talk about it a bit.

-It's nothing important. -He lied. Then he had an idea and forced a smirk into his face. - It was just the first time I had sex. And second and third... And tenth. It was an unusually agitated week, actually.

She examined his face for a while, as if trying to solve a puzzle.

-Is Richard around your age? -She said it very slowly, as if measuring her words. There was a slight crease between her eyebrows and Ryan felt that he had said something wrong.

-No, older. Six years. -He creased his eyebrows too, trying to understand what she mistook from what he told her.

It couldn't be about sex in adolescence. Fifteen was an average age to start, at least that's what he liked to think. He started to regret revealing it to her. His intention had been only to embarrass her and make her want to change the subject, not to spark her interest.

She lifted her head and stared at him. Then looked down again and he saw her frown deepening.

-Did he take you alone on those travels? Was it just the two of you?

-Yes, since he turned eighteen. -He couldn't grasp where she was trying to get. -Before that, we traveled alone once, but it was too complicated, so, usually, one of our parents would come with us.

-Did your parents know about this? -She said, slowly. -About how close you two were?

-Ahm, yes. -He was so confused he didn't really understand where her questions were trying to lead him. -What are those questions for?

-Did you study in the same school, Ryan?

-Call me Desmond, I'm not your friend. -He snorted. -I was homeschooled till fifteen. He went to military school when he was thirteen, when he decided he wanted to join the army. I went there too, until seventeen, but he had already left.

-How did you two meet, Desmond? Was he your neighbor or something like that? -She wrote a bit more. -Do you still have contact with him? Do you know about his life? If he's married today, has children, how is his financial and academic condition?

-We met when I got out of my mother's womb. He's my brother. -Ryan smirked. His smile withered slowly. -And yes, I know everything about his current state… He's dead.

She paused and sighed. He frowned as he saw relief clear on her face. What the fuck? I tell you my brother is dead and you feel relieved? Fuck you!

-Tell me what's going on. -He demanded, not bothering to hide his murderous gaze.

-I'm sorry, I misunderstood your words. -She leaned back. -Let's get back to your trip to Paris… You were traveling with your brother. Was your girlfriend there with you?

-She lived there, Louise. -He was still frowning. -Did you think I was gay? Did you think that me and my brother…?

-Please, forget about it, Desmond. -She blushed. -About Louise, how long were you together? Was she your girlfriend or had you just met?

-She was my girlfriend of sorts. I first met her the year before, when we went there for the first time. I'm not gay, for the record. -He looked offended. -I never had any… Never, with a man. Never wanted to, too. But I don't have a problem with that, I don't give a shit to what people do with their asses.

She sighed. He could tell that she was frustrated with the clumsy start.

-You and Louise. How long did you date? -She tried to keep it up.

-One year. We broke up right after… We didn't want the same thing. -He snorted, his heart still pounding with his outraged reaction. -Can we change the subject?

-Sure… May I know why, though? -She smiled.

-Because I don't feel comfortable mouthing out about her. About any woman, actually, but with her I feel... Like I'm an asshole for doing so. -He lifted one eyebrow. -And I'm afraid I'm not mature enough to talk about her, without calling her names.

-Oh… Why is that?

Ryan chuckled. She looked like a schoolgirl that was about to gossip about the cheerleader. He thought about it, trying to decide if he wanted to let her lead him in this direction. He really needed her to sign the papers. He couldn't threaten her into doing so, not only because she was a woman, but because he didn't think that microphone would be turned off, even after the session was over.

He had to captivate her. He needed her to agree to sign the papers at the end of this meeting. For that, he was willing to do whatever it took, even endure her pity. Ok, then, do you want to see me vulnerable? Let's get through the greatest fall of all time.

-Because I found out she was the greatest bitch. Right after the only time we had sex. -He smirked. -And the last things I told her were the worst I ever did. To anyone.

-It looks like you want to explain it… Do you want to talk about it? To tell me the whole story, from the beginning? -She bent forward and leaned her temple on her finger.

-Why would we talk about it? It's meaningless.

-You said you felt uncomfortable that you think ill about her. I can help you come to peace with your memories of her. Wanna try?

-That depends… Will you sign the papers if I do? -He raised one eyebrow in a half-mocking, half-sexy manner

She chuckled and her cheeks blushed very slightly.

-The more you talk, the earlier I'll sign it. -She shook her head and leaned forward.

-Ok, then, let's spend our precious time talking about frivolous things… It's not like the government is spending a pile of money with this shit, right? -He leaned back on the sofa and exhaled hard. -Let's talk about me, then.

2. Riiii

Riiii Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My mind screams "AAAA AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH"
    HAPPY NEWYEAR QUEEN❣️ THIS IS THE BEST GIFT

imeren and GiBro like this.
  3. TZia

TZia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Happy New Year my dear author. Looks like you are determined to torture us and beg for more. May I ask when the next chapter will be posted? I feel like a literary junkie looking for my next fix:confused::p

4. GiBro

GiBro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If nothing happens, I'll be back on 4th of January =)
    I'm glad you like it, I'm loving writing this. As I said, I had to skip some parts because I don't have enough experience to describe what happens, but I simply loved the first 15 chapters of his book, really.

5. TZia

TZia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Have a great time and thank you for continuing with this captivating story :love::love::love:

pepinomama, GiBro and imeren like this.
  6. TZia

TZia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Happy New Year to everyone! Since we are back into lockdown and curfew due to COVID-19 omicron surge and since I don’t go back to work until later this week I had some unexpected free time on my hand. Please forgive me for this thoroughly speculative analysis of Chapter 30. Okay first thing I re-read that section of the video call between Corey and Belle and the whole thing sounded very suspicious. It seems that Ryan has been keeping things from Corey, however if I recall he is no longer the lead investigator on the case, this was taken over by Simon (the other FBI agent who is also Ryan’s colleague) and my understanding is that Corey reports to captain Williams of NYPD. The author also left some details such as “He looked like he could hang up at any moment without any warning”, why would he look like that if he was just doing his job? I also recall that it was Corey who was working with captain Williams to try to convince Belle to call Daniel in Book 1, so is he trying to manipulate Belle to contact Daniel, using Ryan’s welfare as the hook for Belle? That whole story about Ryan losing it and getting careless and Riviera compiling stuff to use against Ryan to get him suspended or fired just doesn’t add up. First of all it’s out of character for Ryan to leave loose ends and now he seems to be even more vigilant and on high alert, especially since Belle’s safety is his priority. I also recall Ryan saying a few chapters ago that he was doing things by the book and that he didn’t wanted take any chances. Also Ryan seems to be Riviera’s “go to” guy and he himself said that he did the dirty work for her so it doesn’t make sense that she would turn on him. Knowing Ryan he probably has some dirt on Riviera that he can use as insurance policy, just in case =). Another thing that has me bothered is that Daniel fled the country a few hours before the arrest warrant was issued, this means that someone from the inside tipped him off, is this why Ryan is holding things? Does he suspect that someone from the department is working with Daniel? However, getting back to the weird conversation between Belle and Corey, I am wondering if Andrews is behind this. Is she playing Corey the same way she tried to play Denovan? I know that this is a stretch but I hope that Andrews is not Corey’s “new girlfriend”, she still works with those guys and I wonder whether she is conspiring quietly in the background.
    The second thing that has me worried is the fact that Belle logged onto Ryan’s computer behind his back and I don’t see any way that Belle could hide this from him. If in Book 1 he noticed that she had ripped off a sheet of paper from his note pad, how can he possibly not notice that she logged onto his computer while he was out? Even if Belle logged off, all he needs to do is run the Event Viewer login report from his computer and if he realizes that he left the door to his office unlocked, he will probably want to check that Belle didn’t try to mess with his computer. However if he is using a VPN, then the login attempts would be stored on the server and I don’t think that he would have access to this, but Lucas may have access. It will be interesting to see how the author will handle this, but I must say that I am worried about how this will play out for Belle, i’m hoping that they resolve their issues, not create more! Any spoilers from our dear author?

pepinomama and imeren like this.
  7. GiBro

GiBro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Happy new year! :love::love::love::love::love:
    {dark mode on} I wish the president of my country would be decent enough for us to be under lockdown too, but he doesn't believe in science, or vaccines, or common sense and is too occupied dancing funk (with lyrics that demean women and encourage violence against them, btw) in a beach -.- right now he's at the hospital because he can't defecate (probably because he ate too much red meat while our people starve to death) {dark mode off}<--- Sorry for this dark insight of Brazil xD

I have no spoilers to give you because you struck too close in a lot of things and practically all you missed are just because of lack of information.

I'll just correct this part: he said he would play by the book AND BECAUSE OF THAT Daniel fled. I didn't show you, because he was hiding it from Belle, but imagine how pissed/frustrated/feeling impotent he was when he found out Daniel was missing and he knew that if he had did it his way they would have him.

But I agree with you, he's not one to leave loose ends, especially when it comes to Belle's safety.

ps: I'm really happy the details are being seen

Last edited: Jan 4, 2022
    TZia, pepinomama and imeren like this.
  8. TZia

TZia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My heart and prayers go out to all in Brazil, my assistant from work is from Brazil so she keeps me updated about the situation there:=(
    Anxiously waiting for the next chapter to be posted (I hope that it’s not too emotionally brutal, I don’t know how much more my heart can take!)

9. GiBro

GiBro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 31

Belle was so focused on her work, that she only realized he had arrived when she heard him locking up the front door.

He stopped by the study's doorway and she turned her head to look at him, since he stayed in silence. When their eyes met, she immediately felt the need to look away.

-You know I don't want you to get in here without me. -Ryan said after a while. His face was impassive, but there was a vein bulging in his temple and another in his neck. She finally managed to break eye contact and looked down at the words written by her as if they were very interesting. He's furious... -Do you have anything you want to tell me?

Belle straightened her back, still staring at the notepad, considering her options. He sighed and walked toward her, then took the pen from her hand and threw it over the desk. It rolled and fell to the floor, but he didn't let her turn her head to look at it, his hand gripping her chin.

-Is there something you want to tell me, Isabelle? -His dark eyes pierced into hers and she gulped.

-Ahm… Corey tried to call you, a few times, I followed the noise and... -She said, checking for his reaction, but there was none. -You left the door unlocked, I thought I could…

She pointed at the papers, but before she could turn her head to look at them, he pulled her face back toward his, forcing her to look into his eyes. It had been a while since the last time he really used physical strength against her, and the fact that he didn't bulge under her attempt to escape his grip made her feel uncomfortable and vulnerable.

-So, was it just an impulse, then? -He insisted. -Is that what you have to tell me? That it was involuntary?

-I… What are you talking about? -She felt anxious. He knew. She didn't know how, but he knew she had used his computer. Still, she couldn't bring herself to tell him. -Ryan… I'm sorry.

-For what? -He tilted his head, watching as she bit her lower lip. -What are you sorry for, Belle?

-I thought it might be important, he called so many times… -She looked down, even though he still had a firm grip on her chin. Her eyes couldn't go lower than his stomach.

-Three times, Isabelle. Just three times. -He snorted. -And don't pretend the problem is that you answered it. That was just the cherry on top.

Belle was shocked. Her eyes darted from his face to the ceiling. Did he have a hidden camera or something like that in his own study? No, he wouldn't be watching her for hours. How did he know?

-What did he tell you? -He huffed and let go of her, circling the table and sitting in front of the computer. -The irony of you trying to give me a hard time because of privacy issues this morning… You're simply unbelievable.

She felt a sting in her lower abdomen and pressed it with both hands. Her stomach churned and she took a deep breath, hoping it would help relieve it.

-Ryan…. I'm sorry. -How did you know? She wanted so much to ask him, but at the same time was so afraid to do it. -I swear that won't happen again.

-What did he tell you, Belle? Your apologies mean absolutely nothing right now. -He pressed his lips. -If you're really sorry, tell me everything you told him and everything he told you.

Belle hesitated, but shared all the conversation with him. He nodded in silence until she stopped talking.

-Was that all? -He typed his password on the keyboard and took his phone out.

-Aren't you worried that Riviera is monitoring you? Aren't you mad that I told him I'm helping you with the case? -She creased her eyebrows. -Aren't you offended that Corey thinks you're losing your mind?

-The fact that he told you about Riviera can only mean two things: one, it's true, thus he certainly wasn't recording the call; or two, it isn't true and he said that to tease you into telling on me. If you didn't, we're fine, even if he was recording it.-He shrugged. -I couldn't care less about his opinion, and the fact that you're helping would be reported in the future, anyway. I just didn't want them to know yet, because I wanted to protect you. I can only protect you from yourself to some extent. At least you didn't tell him you were the one who came up with the cipher. Did you save his number?

She nodded.

-Nice. We'll call him tonight. -He looked down. -I wanna know what he's planning to tell you and I wanna know if Lucas is willing to betray me too.

Belle's throat was very dry. In the end she would have to choose between betraying Corey and Lucas or making him feel even more betrayed by her if she refused to.

-How did you find out? -She pressed her lips. Her curiosity was strong enough so that she didn't mind getting the earful.

-I obviously have a two-factor authentication. -He rolled his eyes. -Three, when I'm away, to be honest. I was pissed when you got the password wrong in your first try, but I couldn't believe it when you tried again. So I decided to unlock it for you and watch what you'd do.

-You were the one who unlocked it? -She tilted her head, feeling her cheeks burn. -So I didn't guess the right password?

Ryan stared at her for a few seconds as if trying to decide if he wanted to tell her the truth or not. He cursed inwardly and started to type something.

-I've unlocked it. -He sighed, staring at the screen. -But it doesn't mean a thing, just the fact that you tried to guess it… It's fucked up.

-I'm sorry, I thought it could be important. -She blushed so much that her eyes burned too. -Did you see which passwords I tried?

-Why? -He frowned. -I only got the message warning me about the first try, so I logged in and saw you through the webcam. You tried again and I unlocked it. Why did you ask?

She just shook her head. Of course he wouldn't use her birthday as part of his password, why would him? He was observing her with his lips pressed and a weird look, something between annoyed and disappointed.

-Ryan, I don't know if… I don't want to come between you and your friends… Why would Corey want to harm you? -She tried to change the subject.

-I don't know, why can't you mind your own business? -He rolled his eyes. -Get out. From today on you're barred from this room. I mean it.

-I didn't do anything wrong, you were the one who unlocked the screen for me. -She crossed her arms. -None of this would have happened if you hadn't decided to play with me.

-Out, Belle. -He insisted, putting his earphones on and typing rapidly on his keyboard.

-What are you gonna do now? -She got up and walked toward him.

-Watch your call with him and find out if you lied to me, and how much. And check if he gave away any sign of what he was trying to do with you. Get out. -He got up and towered over her with his earphones still on. -Get the fuck out or I'll drag you to that damn door by your ear!

She crossed her arms, wanting to defy him, but when he moved, to take his earphones off, she ran toward the door.

-I need to know what happened to Noah… Please, that's the only thing I'm asking. -She pleaded, leaning on the doorknob. -What did you do, Ryan?

-You still think it was me? -He frowned. -What the fuck is wrong with you? I was here the whole night, why would you suspect me?

-You were talking to someone, over the phone, you said you wanted someone alive. Were you talking about Noah? How is he? -Belle whined. -We need to talk with Angel. She was worried.

-I already talked to her. I told her we went out to have lunch with a client. -He shook his head. -Noah is fine, he's home already, he hit his head and probably got a minor concussion, or is faking it. He keeps saying he doesn't remember anything about the crash and that no one was sitting beside him, although there was a lot of blood on the passenger’s seat and it wasn't his.

-Do you want me to talk to him and try to find out who was with him? -She moistened her lips. -Please, let me help you and tell me what you know...

-I know who was with him. And what I want is for you to keep your distance from this dumbass and his family. If you won't do what I ask you to, don't expect me to even consider giving you what you want. -He shook his head. -Get out, Belle.

-Who was it? And why was he driving that early? -Her mind tried to remember any sign he could have given, on the night before, that he had plans of sneaking out with his car before the sun went up.

He lifted one eyebrow. She nodded and closed the door behind her.

Despite Ryan's advice, she knocked on Noah's door a few minutes later. The maid answered the door, but Angel practically shoved her out of the way and threw herself into Belle's arms, crying and sobbing. It was a ridiculous scene, because the girl's forehead missed the huge boobs by less than an inch before the woman squeezed herself against the small body.

-Oh, Belinda, I'm so glad you're well! -She kept crying. It sounded like a Husky howling. Practically no tears dropped, but Belle guessed it was due to the Botox. -Come in, my baby Barbie, have a drink or two with me, please!

Before she could reply, her hand was yanked up and forward. Angel led her to a living room that seemed bigger than theirs. Now that she thought about it, this house was slightly bigger than the others in the condo. The blond woman was falling into pieces, trembling and whining, telling Belle how terrified she had felt when the police contacted Anthony to inquire about the crashed car.

-I'm way too young to bury a son, Belinda. -Angel sobbed but Belle couldn't tell if it was from crying or from being too drunk. -And his body missing, oh my, can you imagine that? Burying an empty casket, having to pretend it was my son? No, no, I needed my son back, I knew here inside my heart that he was alive...

Belle just nodded and looked away as the woman poked her balloon-sized breast. She hadn't taken even a small sip in her drink. Instead, she pretended to gulp it and when Angel turned to wipe under her huge fake eyelashes with her multicolored handkerchief, she spilled the drink inside the woman's glass.

-And when they told me there was blood on the passenger seat… I was certain it was you. -She howled again. -I thought: no, that slim, fragile, tiny body wouldn't endure that crash, she's certainly dead.

Belle frowned. She had endured a lot of physical aggression from Trevor that night, to the point of getting a mild concussion, and had not only survived but walked herself to the car to be taken to the hospital.

-Imagine how much poor Ryan would have suffered, if we had lost baby Barbie… -She poured more for herself and tried to fill Belle's glass, but the girl pretended to be taking a long sip and she gave up. -He would be a mess… I'm telling you, Belinda, you're a very lucky woman. Having a man like that, you have to take good care of him, rich, hot and romantic, that's a very rare thing to find. And he loves you, which is even harder to believe.

They both fell silent.

-Do you wanna see him? Noah? He's sleeping, but he's so cute when he's sleeping… -She suppressed a burp. -Ah, I wonder if Anthony was as hot as Noah when he was his age… Not that I think about him this way, no, he's my son, duh. But you are into him, aren't you?

-No, not at all. -Belle didn't feel as ashamed as she thought she should. -He's my friend.

-Ah, yes, friends… -She giggled. -He tells me everything you both do, silly girl. He even shared some details, you know?

Angel got to her feet, making an obscene gesture using her tongue to simulate that something was poking at her cheek from the inside. Belle blushed but quickly realized the woman was so drunk that she was probably making things up on the spot. Noah wouldn't say those kinds of things about me… He wouldn't...

-Don't be shy, baby Barbie, we both know our husbands have too much to deal with, it's ok to feel a bit needy sometimes. Sometimes it can get lonely, right? There's nothing wrong with a bit of… -She winked and tried to walk toward the stairs, but fell to her knees and hands and started to laugh like a crazy person. -Ugh! I think I drank way too much, Belinda! We are both very drunk!

She kept laughing and trying to get up, but falling again. Belle thought about coming to help her, but knew it would be stupid, because the woman certainly weighed way more than her.

-I need to go home. -Belle announced. -I'm gonna tell your maid to come and help you. I'll come visit Noah tomorrow.

-No, no, Belinda, you must stay! -She wiped the drool from the corner of her mouth and left a red stain in her cheek and chin. -Come here, it's so cold and comfortable here...

Angel lied with her cheek on the floor and nodded.

-I need to go, sorry, Angel. -Belle was feeling very sorry for the woman. -Ryan must be missing me, I need to go back.

-I wished Anthony would miss me too… I think he's getting sick of me. -She murmured. Belle turned to look at her and heard a loud snore. Angel’s drool was forming a small pink pool under her face.

When she got home, Ryan was distant again, but they had dinner together and he sat on the sofa to read a book, before leaving to work out. She sat and read the last pages of the last one of the law school’s books. He didn't say a word about calling Corey and she certainly wouldn't bring it up herself.

The next morning she texted Noah again, but he didn't answer. Ryan was grumpy but took his time to check if she was doing fine and to sit with her by the dinner table, to transcribe her words, as she translated the documents. He was so cold to her that she began to feel sad and asked to take a break after lunch, going out to try to pay a visit to Noah, but in reality only wanting to get away from him. He hadn't been disrespectful or rude. He just didn't seem to care about her anymore and it hurt.

-I'd really appreciate it if you tried to cut ties with him, Belle. -He said in a cold firm tone, getting up and gathering the documents to take them to his study. -You're gonna make new friends on Monday, you won't need him anymore.

She ignored him, exactly as he had been doing practically all morning, and headed to Noah's house. The maid let her in. Apparently Angel hadn't woken up yet, and Anthony was out for the week, for an important meeting in another state.

Noah was awake but not for long. Belle suppressed her empathetic moan when she saw the huge bump in his forehead and the cuts and burned flesh on his neck, probably caused by the seat belt. He greeted her with a smile full of dimples and apologized for worrying her. His phone was broken and Angel had been too busy, drinking until she passed out, to buy him a new one. He also apologized for not being able to drive her to college on Monday, since his car had been half destroyed in the crash.

Noah told her he didn't remember anything between leaving the house and waking up at the hospital and muttered something about sleep-walking. He also refused to talk about the second person inside the car, saying it was either a mistake from the police, or blood from the other party involved in the car crash. This contradicted his claims that he believed it had been a truck that had taken him out of the road with the impact and that the driver had taken him unconscious and dropped him at the hospital.

-There are a bunch of gaps in that story, Noah. -She reprimanded him. -I'm very glad you're well, but you should tell the police the truth, especially if your life's in danger. Talk to Ryan, at least, he'll help you.

-I need to sleep, Belle, I'm really tired. I won't attend my classes till the end of the week, sorry. -He pouted and Belle was sure he meant his apologies profoundly. -Oh, I really wanted to show you the campus, to introduce you to the decent people, to have a coffee every morning with you… I hope I have the opportunity later… I mean, I hope you won't replace me this quickly…

Belle flinched. Ryan had suggested that she took Noah's absence as an opportunity to discard him and get new friends. Now the boy expressed a worry that showed that he too thought like that.

-I won't replace you, don't be silly. -She shook her head. Take some rest, I'll come see you tomorrow, ok?

-You may come tonight too, if you want to. -He smiled and grimaced, his eyes closing very slowly as he surrendered to sleep.

On Sunday morning Belle decided to get her things ready for her first day in college. When Ryan came and stood by the door she expected him to make some joke or mean remark about it, but he just watched her for a few seconds, then nodded and left her alone.

On the day before her first class, she woke up with a bellyache and wasn't willing to sit in silence with him for hours again, so just took her books and studied beside Noah while he snored and moaned in his bed.

-Thought you'd stay out till tomorrow morning. -Ryan mumbled when she got in with her books piled up between her arms. For a moment she thought he would take them from her arms and carry them upstairs for her, but he put his hands in his pocket and sighed. -Dinner is still warm, be ready to leave at seven tomorrow.

-I actually would prefer it if we could leave at six… -She pressed her lips as he turned his back to go upstairs.

-What for? -He turned to her with a puzzled frown. -Your first class starts at eight and a half, you'll have plenty of time to pick your chair on the front row!

-Noah likes to leave at six, I need to get used to that time. Besides, I'd like to get to know some colleagues and take a look around the campus. I've downloaded a map on my cell phone, but it's still a bit confusing, it's too big.

-For god sake, do you really believe I'll let him drive you anywhere after what just happened? -He finally let out some sign of feeling as his face contorted with annoyance. -The asshole should be dead by now! He would be if it wasn't for me! And for you, in a good part, because, really, I would've rather let him die...

Belle's jaw dropped. He grunted and strode toward her, pushing her against the wall and lifting her face to look her in the eyes. Some books fell to the floor when she flinched, but he managed to avoid stepping on them without looking down.

-He's a living target and you're not getting inside a car with him ever again. -He frowned. -Do you understand?

-How did you save his life? -She ignored his demand. -What happened?

-I had people watching him and they intervened before he was finished. -He said simply. -Answer my question.

She thought about it. He frowned even more.

-You're right, I won't go with him anymore. -She bit her lower lip. -When will I learn how to drive?

-About that… -He scratched the back of his neck. -I kind of lied to you. Technically I didn't lie, I just didn't stop to think about it. In my defense, I was really tired and my head felt like bursting.

She tilted her head and frowned. He smiled apologetically.

-You probably won't be allowed to drive. At least not for now.

Belle tried to back away from him but her back was already against the wall.

-Why? -She frowned.

Ryan huffed and explained that due to her seizures, the law required her to abstain from driving for a period that could last up to two years, depending on the physician's considerations. He had talked to her psychologist and he would recommend a minimum seizure-free period of six months, although they could report it as an isolated case and cut it down to three months. That last resort would mean they'd have to lie, which he knew Belle wouldn't agree with and Ryan himself didn't feel comfortable in doing, since that would mean allowing her to drive alone under unsafe conditions. Her stomach churned and hurt. She listened patiently, then nodded, crouched to retrieve her books and headed for her bedroom without a word. Once the door was locked, she curled up on her bed and silently cried herself to sleep.

Belle woke up feeling very hungry and went downstairs to have a late dinner. He had cleaned the kitchen, so she had to reheat a plate for herself. Ryan stopped by the door, surprised with her unexpected presence. He was shirtless, soaked in sweat and panting. Her eyes didn't obey her when she tried to keep them on her food, so she just stared at his muscles. If he could use her as a sexual object, she could use him as something nice to look at, right? He scoffed and walked to the sink to fill his empty bottle of water.

-You shouldn't eat this late. -He murmured after taking some sips. -It's bad for your health.

-It's just once, it wont harm me. -She covered her mouth to speak. -You shouldn't exercise for that long, you could get injured.

-Someone else could get injured if I didn't. -He answered, filling the empty bottle again. -If it's just me, it's a win.

Belle flinched and he smirked, shaking his head in disbelief. She missed his smile so much that his smirk made her heart flutter and butterflies take flight inside her stomach. He walked with his feline posture toward the kitchen’s door, but paused and leaned on the door frame.

-You know I'd never hurt you, right? -He murmured with his back to her. -Not physically, I mean. And that I'm sorry for doing it in other ways, too...

She nodded. He turned his head to look at her, so she nodded again.

-Good. Goodnight, Belle.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
  10. TZia

TZia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh Belle, I think he would, Noah is shady and Ryan read him correctly. I wish Belle would take off her rose-coloured glasses, she knows that Noah’s story has more holes than swiss cheese yet she is still giving him the benefit of the doubt? I understand that she is still pissed with Ryan but when it comes to her safety, the man will literally take a bullet for her, why can’t she trust his judgement?
    And I don’t think that Noah goes to campus early so he can study, I think he goes there early to deal. I wonder whether that car crash was the result of a drug deal gone bad? He is not as squeaky clean as he would have Belle believe. But I still don’t understand why Noah is insisting on staying close to Belle, romantic interest maybe? I hope more will be revealed in future chapters. There are so many intriguing plot twists:aww:

pepinomama, imeren and GiBro like this.
  11. GiBro

GiBro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    :censored::coffee::whistle:o_O:cautious:

pepinomama and imeren like this.
  12. GiBro

GiBro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 32

She couldn't eat her breakfast. Her stomach was hurting, and she felt a bit nauseous. In fact the pain was irradiating through her whole belly and she had to rummage through his things in his bathroom to get some medicine to solve it.

-You don't have to feel nervous, it's just college. It's not like high school. -Ryan pressed his lips as he held the door of the car for her. -People will try to pretend they are adults, you just have to keep your mind on your studies and avoid parties.

He had been a bit careless about his chivalric habits those days, so she paused, surprised, and he tilted his head.

-Thank you. -She flashed a small smile and sat down with her head low. He avoided looking in her direction as he maneuvered to leave and she tapped on his seatbelt to remind him, since he had left the condo without fastening it.

-You know you didn't need to thank me for opening up the door for you, right? -He said after a while of tapping the wheel. -I don't like it when you thank me for doing things that I want to do.

-Sorry. -She sighed, looking out the window. The last thing she needed was for them to fight inside a moving car, at full speed, because she had thanked him for being nice to her.

-You don't need to apologize either. -He sighed too, feeling guilty for making her feel bad just for thanking him.

She just nodded and held her backpack to her chest. Her stomach grumbled and she put a hand over it.

-I put some protein bars inside. -He poked her backpack in the right pocket without taking his eyes from the road. -And water too, you forgot your bottle over a chair in the kitchen, but I got it for you.

She lifted her head to thank him, but stopped, unsure if he would get annoyed about it. He glanced at her and chuckled, understanding her uneasiness.

-I'm sorry, I'll try to stop complaining about you thanking me for things, ok? -He glanced at her again and she nodded. -Look, we don't have to be so distant... You have to admit that you were wrong, but I think I was too harsh on you too. I was a bit distressed about Mr. Goofy’s goofiness… I'm sorry for treating you badly.

Belle was surprised. He was trying to make amends, even after she literally acted behind his back, which she knew was the worst thing she could ever do to him.

-I'm sorry for… -She began.

-Don't. -He shook his head. -Leave it in the past, please.

-What changed? -She tilted her head, confused by his attitude. -Why are you willing to leave it be?

Ryan clicked his tongue and sighed.

-I've put you in an uncomfortable position by telling you I had dealt with Mr. Goofy in the morning and then later you found out he was in the hospital… -He pressed his lips and kept his eyes on the road. -I guess after everything I’ve let you know about myself, it's not that surprising that you'd believe I was the one responsible for that… I can't really hold it against you.

-So you were mad at me because I thought you had hurt him, not because I tried to guess your password? -Belle creased her eyebrows.

-That was quite annoying too, but you proved to be a snoopy little brat since the day I first met you, right? Nothing new here. -He sneered and she glared at him. -No defense, because you know I'm right, you are always trying to know more than you should about everything.

-I just heard the incoming call and…

-And then decided to try to guess the password to answer it, even though you knew it wasn't for you and that you shouldn't be alone in that room, right? -He let out a bitter laugh. -Not completely nosy and inconvenient on your part, no, you're right, anyone with the minimum sense of minding their own business would do exactly the same as you, isn't that the case?

Belle shut her mouth. He was right, even though his words were unnecessarily harsh and cynical again. She had been disrespectful and nosy.

-That won't happen again, I'm sorry. -She murmured.

-Sure. -He sighed, shaking his head and rolling his eyes.

The silence was uncomfortable to the point she found herself humming and tapping on her thigh to fill it, stopping immediately when she noticed it. He didn't seem annoyed or bothered, but glanced at her when she stopped, to check her expression.

-Do you still believe I was the one who tried to kill Mr. Goofy? -He cleared his throat. -And did you forgive me for that shit I said about you?

She shook her head. It was an answer for both questions. He grimaced, but nodded letting the silence settle again.

Belle fumbled through her backpack, looking for a protein bar, then ate it very slowly, in silence. Ryan tapped on the wheel for the rest of the trip. When they got to the campus he parked and stared at her.

-Ok… There are some things I need you to do. I don't want you to be paranoid or feel afraid, but there's always the possibility of one of his followers being a student here. -He sighed. -So I need you to pay attention to your surroundings. I mean scanning through the faces and checking if a person or a group shows interest in you. More interest than normal, you'll probably stand out because you're beautiful, but I hope you'll be able to tell the difference.

She blushed. He paused, then shook his head with a smirk.

-Probably won't. Anyway, if you feel any kind of discomfort about someone looking at you or approaching you, I want you to take a picture of them, discreetly, for god sake, and send it to me. Then stay as far as possible from them till I check on them and tell you if it's safe or not. -He explained. -Don't be alone with absolutely no one. Girl or boy, don't be alone with them. And stay in huge groups when walking from one building to another too, mix in the crowd, I don't think they'd attack a group of potential followers in open sight to get you, they'll wait for an opportunity to get you alone or in a smaller group.

She gulped. His words implied it was certain that Daniel's followers would be infiltrated on the campus. She wished Noah was with her. Not that he would be able to protect her, but she would feel better to have someone she could trust by her side. At the same time she realized how selfish this wish was, since it meant he would be at constant peril with her.

-Don't accept any invitation for any party. There will be a lot of them. Say you can't, make up an excuse. Eventually they'll stop expecting you to come and won't invite you anymore. -He went on. -Joining groups and clubs is ok, but make sure to send me the names of the members before approaching them. Better safe than sorry. I hope I don't have to tell you this, but don't accept food, drinks or pills from anyone, even if they are friendly.

She squinted her eyes at the mention of the pills.

-I'm teasing you. -He chuckled. -But really, don't ingest anything someone gives you here. Daniel is known for cooking things absurdly useful for ill intended men. And there's an asshole selling a deadly drug, really, a certain overdose recipe, to Noah's brother, so it's more likely than not that someone here will have some in them.

-Half-brother. -She corrected him.

-His ass. The father is the same, I'll keep calling him his brother. -He shook his head.

-That's disrespectful. He doesn't like it. -She creased her eyebrows. -Please, stop doing that, it clearly annoys him.

-You once told me I had the right to ruin your life because I saved it. -He smirked when she showed signs of being ashamed about thinking that way. -I already saved his, twice… I guess in your concept I have credit to do way worse than annoying him.

Belle wrinkled her nose. It sounded absurd to think like that right now, but she really thought at the time that he had that right. Had it been motivated by her fragile state due to the withdrawal or simply a sign that she was too immature at the time to deal with her own feelings, it had changed now.

-I don't think like that anymore… -She murmured.

-Good. I hoped so. -He nodded.

They sat in silence for a few minutes, then they both started apologizing at the same time.

-It's ok, go on, I'll speak after you. -He blushed.

-No, you first, I can wait. -She looked down.

-I wanna hear what you have to say before I speak. -He tried to look into her eyes while she averted them.

-I'm sorry that you had to take care of me like that… I know I'm difficult to deal with and that I am… Was a burden, in many senses. I never expressed how grateful I am for everything you've done for me since we've met. -She lost track of her thoughts when she looked into his eyes and saw the golden greenish ring. -I still don't understand why you did and do all those things for me, but thank you so much…

He stared at her for a while. She had no idea what he could be thinking.

-Do you wanna grab a coffee before you head to your first class or whatever you were planning to do till eight and a half? -He lifted his eyebrows in a boyish way and she almost laughed.

-I'd love to. -Belle nodded after some thought.

He parked in front of the same coffeehouse Noah had taken her before. She wondered if there were so few of them inside the campus.

-I came here with Noah… I didn't like their cappuccino, but their chai is awesome. -She didn’t miss his nose wrinkling briefly. -How did you know of this place?

-It has the best rating on the internet. -He said and pointed at a table at the farthest corner from the door. -Take a seat, I’ll get you your chai, do you want something to eat? Don’t force it if you think it’s gonna make you feel bad, but since you didn’t have breakfast…

-Pick something for me, please? -She nodded.

They engaged in small talk while they waited for their drinks and her food. The slow pace of the service didn't seem to bother him, and he kept talking and encouraging her to give her opinion about each subject. Belle felt a bit confused. She couldn’t remember if he was the one who had been mad at her or the other way around, but came to the conclusion that, either way, they were incapable of keeping their distance from each other, either figuratively or literally.

After the barista finished preparing their drinks and slid a steamy cheese bread with honey to them, Ryan listened patiently to her mumbling as she listed her weekly schedule, explaining what she would learn in each discipline and expressing her worries and expectations about each one of them. She suddenly realized it wasn’t really interesting for him, but he didn’t show any signs of boredom. Even then, as soon as she got conscious of how uninteresting it should be for him to listen to it, she shut her mouth and looked around.

The place had become crowded in no time, and people got upstairs and out, not finding a place to sit.

-Hm, we should go. To free the table… -She murmured.

-Well, technically they should have arrived earlier if they wanted to have a place to sit on the first day of the term… But you're the authority between us when it comes to being empathetic. -He shrugged, piling up their cups and plates over the tray. -Let's go, then.

They stopped in front of his car.

-Ok, you said your first class is in the Turlington Hall, so we'll have to go back this way… -He checked his phone briefly for the map.

-You don't need to drive me, it's ten minutes from here by foot. -She shook her head as he opened up the passenger’s door for her. He glared at her.

A group of students passed by and stared at them. More precisely the girls eyed Ryan with hungry gazes and the boys checked on Belle's body.

-Get in. -Ryan gritted his teeth. She abided, but looked at him, confused with his sudden drop of mood. -I just told you not to wander alone, what's wrong with you?

-I'm gonna have to walk for my third class, anyway! There's a bunch of students on the streets, I thought it was ok if… -She tried to explain, but he huffed.

-Don't walk to your third class alone! Is it that difficult to understand, Belle? -He snorted. -Can't I trust you to do this?

She pressed her lips and nodded. There was no point in arguing with him, she would have to give her best to follow his instructions. If something bad happened, she didn’t want to be the one responsible for it.

He dropped her in front of the building, but not before repeating all the instructions and grimacing deeply before unlocking the door so she could leave. Papa wolf never fit him so well as a nickname.

She leaned to kiss his cheek before getting out of the car, but he absentmindedly turned his head to kiss her mouth, which made her flinch back almost as soon as their lips touched and he tried to mend it by pulling her for a one armed hug and patting her on the back. She ended up kissing his neck and jumping out of the car with a shy "Thank you, see you later!" and a wave of hand.

Belle loved the classes. She sat on the first row, which meant she couldn't notice anyone staring at her, besides the teachers that cared about keeping the attention of their students, and found in her a face they could look at, to always find attentive and interested eyes. One of them blatantly lectured only for her for one hour straight.

Some students came to ask her if she was new, since they didn't remember seeing her anywhere at the campus before and she was in advanced class. She did as Ryan had recommended, avoiding staying behind the herd of students, and scanning her surroundings for suspect stares.

One boy sat twice beside her and tried to initiate some kind of friendship between them. He had sandy hair, brown eyes and a hairy mark on his chin that affected her OCD. She caught herself covering her own chin a bunch of times, cursing herself and feeling very guilty until she realized she disliked the boy. He was crazy and his name fit him perfectly: Julius Caesar, but after some time hearing his nonsensical bragging, she wasn't sure if this was his real name or just the way he liked to call himself. She listened patiently as he told her he was twenty and listed the reasons why he was pursuing a psychology major. While they walked to their second class together, inside the same building, merging in the crowd of students, he revealed he lived with his mother and her eight cats that he despised, had an ambitious plan of one day becoming president of the United States, and made sure to emphasize how much he hated immigrants, “slutty women” and gays. He ranted about that last part for a while, before the class started, not sparing her ears of a bunch of racist slurs. The cherry on top was that the girl sitting beside him was black and was wearing a skirt that fit perfectly his description of a “literal raping invitation”. Belle cringed on her seat during his whole monolog and sent his picture to Ryan as soon as she managed to. She hoped with all her heart and soul that this man could never call himself a psychologist and would never be responsible for taking care of someone's mental health. At the end of the class, Ryan sent a text telling her the boy was apparently clean, but that if she felt uncomfortable near him, she should cut laces now, before he started clinging to her “like Mr. Goofy”. He literally advised her to tell the guy that he stank.

She giggled as she read the message before getting up from her seat and only then realized the boy was weirdly standing a few steps from her, staring at her with a bright red face.

-Hm… Excuse me? -She murmured, eager to vanish in the crowd of people that was leaving the room.

-Can we speak in private? -He said with his pompous posture.

-No. -She said bluntly and started to walk toward the door. Hell, no!

-I just wanted to ask for your number. -He tried to hold her forearm, but she jerked away from him.-We could have lunch together later.

-I… No, sorry. -She mumbled. He followed her. -Hm… Don't get me wrong, but… I think we can't be friends… You're kind of too judgmental, I believe we're gonna get in conflict too often… And I wanna focus on my studies. I'm sorry, but I don't feel comfortable around you.

And you stink! Her mind screamed, which made her smile slightly. Apparently, by his enraged frown, he would rather hear that he had a bad scent than to hear he was too judgmental.

-I should've known you were one of those… -He shook his head. -Fine, then, I didn't want a snobby bitch like you as a friend.

He said it too loud and a bunch of students turned their heads to look at them. Her face and eyes burned. She looked away from him, pretending he wasn't talking to her, but he kept staring at her until they departed from each other on a corner with a murderous glare.

-That guy is an asshole. -She heard a manly voice muttering near her.

-Total ass. -A girl turned her head beside Belle to answer him. -They shouldn't let that kind of people graduate.

Belle just looked forward, pretending she didn't hear them. Starting a friendship by demeaning someone, even if he was an actual asshole, wasn't something she would feel proud of.

-Hey Belle, cheer up, he's the weirdest kind you'll bump into here, at least you've already got the worst, now it's only up. -The man went on. Belle snapped her head up to check his face. -Good afternoon, by the way, you look lovely today.

-Ah, hi JP… How are you doing? -She recognized the boy that had Noah's eyes, the one she had met back home at the poolside.

-I'm certainly feeling better than Zim! Heard he's having a heavy food poisoning and can't get out of bed since yesterday. His ass must be shaped to the toilet by now. -He laughed. -No, really, I hope he'll get better soon… I'm fine. This is my girlfriend, Mia. Mia, this is Belle.

Belle turned her head. A beautiful Asian girl was walking near her. She had long black shiny hair that went down to her waistline, and one thick strand was dyed light blue. She had a ring on her lower lip that somehow made her look cute. She wore schoolgirl clothes, with a blue plaid skirt and matching tie.

-Hi, nice to meet you. -Belle blushed. She didn't think JP had a girlfriend, since he had blatantly flirted with her the first time they met. But then again he could have met Mia after their encounter.

-You're pretty. -Mia answered, eyeing her up and down. -You'd look astounding if you wore better clothes. I can help you reinvent your style, if you want too.

-Ah, no, thanks, I like to blend in… I don't want to get any attention. -Belle blushed.

-That's a huge lie. -Mia shook her head. -Everyone wants to get attention. The difference is from whom.

They got into the classroom together. JP pretended to hold the door for them and Mia giggled when he slapped her butt after she got in.

-So our meeting point will be Philosophy, uh? -JP blocked Belle's way when she headed for the front row. -You won't want to sit in the front in this class, Belle. Mr. Park screams. A lot. And he spits a bit to talk, too, let the freshmen have this refreshing experience…

Belle was upset. She wanted to sit close to the teacher as always, but he led her to one of the last rows and sat by the corridor. She sat on the opposite side of the aisle, hoping this would prevent him from trying to talk with her during class, at least. Mia sat beside him and rested her legs over the backseat in front of her.

-What's your major, Belle? -JP resumed their conversation and people avoided heading for the rows behind them so they wouldn't walk between them.

-Criminology. -Belle answered shyly.

-Uh! You are a small box full of surprises! I was expecting something more… Boring. Like English. -He chuckled. -Political science and Public Relations.

He pointed to himself and then to Mia. Belle nodded. It had actually been her first option, English. But Criminology could help her understand how Daniel became the way he was now, and how his group has formed, too. English wouldn't help her become useful for Ryan in the investigations, Criminology could.

The teacher got in and Belle thanked JP, moving only her lips. Mr. Parker screamed so much that she found herself covering one ear, leaning on her desk, to muffle the noise a bit. JP blatantly wore a headset earphone. Mia was drawing something on a page of her book, not seeming to pay any attention to the class.

-Lunchtime! Are you joining us? -JP smiled and Belle smiled involuntarily when she saw his dimples. -We’re having burgers today.

Belle hesitated. She had sent Ryan a message asking about JP and Mia, but he hadn't answered yet. Being alone with the two of them would be the same as being alone with one of them.

-Hm, sure. -She nodded, but they could tell she was anything but sure.

-Look… I know Betty and the girls ruined my image for you. -JP approached her and nudged her shoulder. -But if you like Zim, you gotta like me, I'm way cooler than that bastard. Give us a chance… If you don't like us after lunch, you can flip us off and we won't call you names for that.

Mia smiled and hugged his waist.

-No, really, I liked you. -Belle tried to mend it. -I'm just… Maybe it would be better if you two had lunch together without me.

-Oh no, relax, you won't be the third wheel! -JP misunderstood her words and put an arm around her shoulder, doing the same with Mia. -As much as I'd love to have this harem for myself, we'll have plenty of company.

Belle blushed and checked Mia's expression, but the girl didn't seem to care a bit for his comment. They ate at a cozy restaurant. Two boys she didn't know joined them. They didn't introduce themselves. Betty and one of the hyena-like girls joined them after a while.

-Oh my god! -Betty shrieked when she spotted Belle sitting between JP and one of the boys. -What is she doing here? Don't tell me she'll join us for lunch everyday, now!

Belle ignored her, focusing her attention on her food.

-No, we are replacing you with her, because she's cooler and prettier, Betty. -JP mocked her with his mouth full and a bit of lettuce spilled on the table. -Stop being such a bitch, the girl is fine, you're just jealous because Zim is in love with her and despises you.

Belle choked on her orange juice. Mia burst out laughing but offered her a handful of napkins.

-Is that true? Are you dating Zim? -Mia wiped a tear from the corner of her eye. -Why? I get it that he's a bit cute, but he's not cute enough for someone with your looks. And he's not worth the danger.

JP nudged her hard with his elbow and she frowned.

-What do you mean? -Belle tilted her head.

-Nothing. -The girl looked down and pretended to be too busy chewing on her burger.

-Don't you have a husband, anyway? -Betty’s duck voice was loud and a few heads turned toward them to check who had a husband.

-Shut up, Betty, what is that, the day of spilling out secrets? -JP huffed. The two boys eyed each other. The boy sitting beside Belle stared at her, waiting for her answer.

-It's not a secret. I do have a husband, and Noah is my friend, he doesn't feel anything else for me. -She blushed. -And I love Ryan, even if Noah felt something, I'd never…

-Ugh! -Betty grunted. -Let's go, Hanna, this is ruining my appetite.

The blond girl got up and marched to another table. The hyena girl stood up too, but seemed divided between following her friend and staying with them.

-Go on, Hanna, your owner is calling you, be a good pet and go there lick her heels. -JP rolled his eyes. -Really, girl, you should stop doing that, she's using you.

-She's feeling wronged, JP… And you shouldn't take his side in it, she's the victim. I just don't want to leave her alone… -Hanna pouted. She turned to Belle. -Look, I'm sorry for how we treated you… We saw you with Zim and… I'm sorry, ok? I was very high, and we had just made fun of you and then you showed up, exactly as she said you would. In our defense, you should try to look a bit more normal, ok? You're weird. I'm not talking about your sleeves, you're all weird.

-She's not. Go sit with the other dog, Hanna, come back when you both have had an anti rabid. -JP huffed and shook his head. -Geez, the girl didn't do a thing against you, and Betty doesn't have shit against my cousin to use as proof, that's why I took his side, because she does this kind of shit when she gets angry. Crazy bitch.

Belle frowned at him, but Mia was the only one who noticed. Hanna crossed her arms and walked away.

-You know he probably did it, right? -Mia murmured. -She is a bit hysterical but you know how he is. And they are saying he did that again, but with Emma.

-I think you're projecting Aaron’s image in him. -JP shrugged.

Belle wanted to inquire about it, but she had the impression their back and forth was happening only because they were unaware of her listening to it. She would have to talk with Mia in private later and try to persuade her into telling her the whole story. She suddenly had an idea.

-I'm going to the restroom. -She announced. JP had to get up to give her space to leave the table and Mia got up with him.

-I'll go with you. -She smiled.

Belle smiled too. She had never understood that thing, about girls going together to the bathroom, but Chloe always did that and got really upset with her when she forgot to do so.

-Mia… -Belle murmured when they got in. She looked around, checking if the cabins were empty. -I'm sorry, I came here because I wanted to talk with you. Can you explain what you two were talking about? About Noah...?

Mia looked a bit nervous. After a while she pressed her lips and huffed.

-Are you two really having an affair? -She checked the door.

-No, we're just friends, but I spend a lot of time with him. -Belle explained.

Mia stared at her, indecision dancing in her perfectly outlined eyes.

-Give me your number, I'll call you when JP drops me at my place. -Mia sighed. -But look here, girl, I'm trusting you. You won't tell anyone. I don't have proof, and I don't want to be the next.

Belle nodded. A chill ran down her spine when she remembered Noah's car had a lot of blood on the passenger's seat. She shivered even more when she remembered how glad Angel had been about knowing she was alive.

-You said something happened to this girl… Emma… -Belle murmured. -Was it this Friday, in the morning?

-Yes it was! She's been missing since Thursday’s night! -Mia hissed. -Oh no, did he tell you what he did to her? Where is he keeping her?

pepinomama, imeren and TZia like this.
  13. TZia

TZia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This story is so good it’s giving me anxiety, but in a good way! :notlikeblob::sweating_profusely::blobastonished:
    So many questions, what the heck did Noah do to Betty and Emma? Ryan knew that Emma was in the car with Noah and since there was a lot of blood on the passenger seat we can assume that she was injured, where is she now and what connection does she have with Noah? Ryan alluded that Noah’s father was probably involved in drug dealing/trafficking and prostitution so is Noah part of that? One thing is sure, he is involved in some real shady stuff. And why the heck does everyone think that Belle is having an affair with Noah? Belle dismissed the comment Angel made thinking that she was making that up because she was drunk but she is hearing the same from other people close to Noah so I’m assuming that Noah is spreading these lies, but to what purpose though? And I am surprised that Ryan is just letting this go! I hope that Belle is going to smarten up when it comes to Noah and start putting some distance between them. BTW what was Ryan going to say to her when they both started to apologize? She said her part but he didn’t, he asked her to go for coffee instead. I would rather that Belle works on resolving her conflict with Ryan since now he seems to be more open to talking things through. I also hope that we are going to see some real communication between these two instead of trying to ignore each other and failing at it miserably.

novelenthusiast1717, imeren and GiBro like this.
  14. GiBro

GiBro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Read the next chapter, my dear reader, read the next chapter =P

PS: I hope everyone that reads that book feels exactly the same as you on those parts =. it's perfectly fit with what I wanted to transmit

TZia and imeren like this.
  15. GiBro

GiBro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Dear readers, tomorrow's chapter is Schrödinger-like xD it might be posted tonight, it might be posted on Sunday, because tomorrow I might not be able to post it, ok? Ty for your support and patience.

imeren and TZia like this.
  16. TZia

TZia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My dear author, are you teasing us?:whistle::p:love:
    Can’t wait for the next update!

imeren likes this.
  17. imeren

imeren Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Looking forward to the next chapter:love::whistle:

TZia likes this.
  18. GiBro

GiBro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Forget about chapter today =( gonna try to post it tomorrow. Sorry

imeren and TZia like this.
  19. TZia

TZia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No need to apologize, I am so grateful that you are sharing this amazing story with us.:love::love::love:

20. GiBro

GiBro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 33

Belle explained that she didn't know anything about Emma, just that Noah had been involved in a car crash. She didn't tell anything about the second person inside the car and avoided answering the girl's questions. After promising each other they'd talk more about it later, they walked back to the table and JP shot an annoyed glare at Mia, probably assuming she had told her something.

The group walked Belle to her next class on their way to their own, and she sat alone on the first row again.

When she got out of the building, she looked around, searching for Ryan's car. Belle scanned the parking lot from afar as he had instructed her, staying near the crowded entrance. She was turning her head to check the other side when her eyes locked on dark green eyes.

Leaning on his motorcycle, it was the same guy she had seen before, with another black rock band T-shirt, the same ripped black jeans, the same big black boots. His hair was pulled back in a ponytail, and beside the cigarette a huge scar ran down his jaw toward his ear. It wasn't an ugly scar, it looked more like a surgery scar that hadn't been tended properly. He saw her and that creepy smile formed, as he eyed her up and down. She staggered back when he strode toward her. Her heart was pounding in her ears, and she started to panic when she noticed he was approaching her, way faster than she could move in the crowded space.

-Hey, Belle, isn't that your husband, right there? -JP poked on her shoulder and she turned her head toward the direction he was pointing at.

A lot of heads turned along with hers. Maybe more people than she had noticed had been paying attention to her. Ryan was leaning on his car with his arms crossed in front of his chest and their eyes met. He had been observing her. He saw her surprised smile and smirked. She looked back to check the creepy man, but couldn't find him in the crowd, so she just waved goodbye to Mia and JP, then ran toward Ryan.

He started to straighten his back and head toward the passenger's door to open it up for her, but she jumped into his arms and hugged him tightly, burying her face on his neck. He leaned back against the car, holding her waist with both arms and sniffed her hair.

-Why are you doing this here? People are staring... -Ryan whispered in her ear, but there was no sign of annoyance in his tone this time, just curiosity. She looked around. Heads turned away from them, but a lot of students had been watching.

-Are you ashamed of me? -Belle mocked him, kissing his neck. She was so relieved that he was there and had missed holding him so much that she had forgotten they weren't supposed to do that anymore.

-Let's go. Why were you getting back inside the building? -He sighed, leading her toward the passenger's door with an arm around her shoulders and holding it open for her. -You seemed to be in a haste.

She waited until he sat beside her to explain, scanning the parking lot for the motorcycle. It wasn't there anymore.

-Remember a guy with a motorcycle we saw that day…? -She tried to think about a way of describing how they met him.

-Noah's brother. -He huffed. -Black hair, hazel green eyes, cool Kawasaki and greasy looking. He was leering at you, the asshole. Were you gonna try to get away from him by getting into the building?

Belle nodded. So he had seen the guy.

-Good. Just make sure to have witnesses when you do that. Don't let him get you alone inside a room or something. -He sighed and maneuvered. -I thought I'd feel nostalgic about college, but, to be honest, I'm pitying you.

-I loved it. It's a bit slow paced, but it's nice. And most teachers have planned all the assignments for the term and listed them so I can get everything done as soon as possible.

He chuckled and she frowned.

-Such a nerd. -He mocked her. -Are you planning to get into honors?

-I don't think I can, I got in too late. In high school, at least, my counselor told me I couldn't. If I had followed the normal… -She started to explain but he burst out laughing.

-I was teasing you! And you can still get in, it will just be a lot harder. -He shook his head. -Did you make any friends?

-That depends… Are Mia and JP clear?

-I answered your message. They are ok, but I don't want you near JP, he's Noah's cousin. -He glanced at her, then at the mirror. -I want you to cut ties with that imbecile as soon as you can.

-They were talking about him today… Do you know something about a girl called Emma? -She checked his expression and flinched when his smile vanished.

-What were they talking about her? -His voice didn't give away anything.

-Did Noah hurt her? -She pressed her lips. He stayed in silence, so she insisted. -Apparently she's been missing since Friday, so…

-If I tell you he did, are you gonna stay away from him? -He said after some thought.

She thought about it, then nodded. Ryan glanced at her and cursed low. They sat in silence for what seemed like an hour. He was tapping rapidly on the wheel, his jaw clenched.

-Ryan? -She whined when she couldn't take the tension anymore.

-She's with me. Not literally with me, but I have her somewhere safe. Her parents know, and agreed. -He sighed, shaking his head slightly, clearly disappointed with himself. -Noah asked for help and I believe that… Shit, why the fuck can't I just lie to you? It would make things so much easier…

-Why are you hiding her, what happened? -She saw him clutching the wheel tightly with both hands, his knuckles white from the pressure.

-The less you know, the better. I know you, if I tell you, you’ll want to get involved. -He huffed. -But Noah was just dumb, it wasn't completely his fault. He's just a nosy motherfucker that is too incompetent to do what he entitled himself to do. He fucked up big time and now I'm having to clean up his mess. At least the girl is safe but, still...

She watched him as he ranted. He was beyond annoyed, but she didn't think he sounded as angry as he was trying to make her believe he was. She reached out and put her hand over his thigh, squeezing it lightly. He shut up and glanced at her.

-Thank you, Ryan. -She smiled. -I won't ask about it again, for now, it's ok. Thank you for protecting them.

He frowned a bit, but nodded and forced a small smile into his face.

-Mia is gonna tell me what she knows about it and about other things that happened involving Noah and a girl… She’s gonna call me later. Do you want to hear what she has to say?

-You should stop trying to play the detective, you're gonna end up hurt. -He sighed. -Why can't you civilians stay out of our way and let us do our job? You know it hinders more than helps, right?

-She's gonna call me. -She repeated, a bit annoyed by his scolding. -What I need to know is if it's useful for you to listen to our call.

-Yes, it might be. -He rolled his eyes and tapped on the wheel. -But I still don't like having you involved in anything related to this. It would lift a ton from my back if you could just cut ties with Noah, Belle.

-I told you I won't ask about it for now, but you gotta stop giving me reasons to make questions. -She crossed her arms. -If you want me to stop talking to Noah, you have to give me a reason for that.

-I want you to stop talking to him because it would make me really happy. Isn't that a good reason? -He chuckled, but waited for her answer anyway.

-No, it's not. -She decided to shut him up for good. -I want you to love me, because it would make me really happy. Do you have anything to say about it?

He just stared ahead at the road and they both shut their mouths.

Mia called her only after dinner.

-Act as if I'm not here. -He leaned back in his chair. Her phone was connected to his computer and she took a deep breath before answering the call.

-Hello? Hi Mia, how are you doing? -Belle nodded to him. He was wearing his earphones and gave her a thumbs up to confirm it was being recorded.

Mia apologized for the delay, explaining that she and JP had had an argument about her talking about Noah in front of Belle. She made her promise many times that she wouldn't reveal anything about their conversation to anyone, then went on to explain what had supposedly happened between Noah and Betty.

Betty had some kind of platonic love toward Noah for a while now, since they were very young, but he had never shown any interest in her. Then, the year before, a party had been held in a frat house near the campus. Betty was high and drunk, to the point of trying to do a striptease for Noah in front of everyone, so he offered her a ride home. Some of the girls advised both of them not to do so, since she wasn’t sober enough to decide if she really wanted to go somewhere with him, but he insisted and Betty gave in.

By what Mia told her there were more than enough witnesses to testify that they saw Betty getting into Noah's car. On the next day, though, her parents reported her to the police as missing. Noah was summoned to testify and denied giving her a ride or touching her at first, but when she reappeared, naked, bloody and confused, on a farm out of the city’s limits, he became the main suspect and changed his version, saying he had taken her but had turned around and left her at the same party, because she had tried to force herself on him while he was driving.

-And then, after a few weeks, Betty recovered her memory and told everything she remembered to everyone that she could, because she was too afraid of what he could do to her. -Mia went on. -She said he tried to kill her, first choking her, then with a knife. Her scars aren't so ugly, they were very superficial, but you can see them on the back side of her neck and on her upper back. He wanted to scare her so she wouldn't tell anyone about what he did to her.

Belle lifted her eyes toward Ryan and saw him rubbing his face with annoyance and shaking his head.

-Didn't they examine her body? Didn't they get some DNA, or anything at all that could connect him to the crime? -Belle asked and Ryan frowned, shaking his head in reproach. -It seems to me that if he was guilty it would be easy to prove it, examining her body and his car… She was bleeding, right?

-And that's why I don't want you to tell anyone… I don't have any proof about it, but… Everyone believes his father bribed the cops and the labs that were hired to examine the evidence. -Mia’s voice lowered to a barely audible volume. -We believe he would have been arrested if the real results had been disclosed.

-And why is that, Mia? Noah never gave me any signs of being a rapist… I'm finding it hard to believe he did this if there's no evidence and her testimony wasn't trustful, because she was on drugs and under alcohol effects. -Belle wasn't so sure, but she wanted to know more about it. Ryan signaled her to cut the subject and end the call. -Is there something else, is there another reason why you believe he did that?

Ryan glared at her but sat back and crossed his arms.

-I was with him when they came to get him to testify. Me and JP. He was very nervous and he knew it was about her before they told him. -Mia was almost whispering. -He looked like he wanted to cry or run away… But I never told you this, ok? And there's something more… After he came back to college... After all charges were dismissed, he was very mad at her. He started to treat her very badly, as if she was the worst person in the world. Before that he was always very kind to her. Like he is with you today, so I heard. That's why I told you, it's dangerous to get this close to him…

Ryan signaled that he wanted her to end the call or else he would end it for her.

-Mia... I have to go. Is there something else you think I should know, about Noah, or about his half-brother? -As soon as Belle said that, Ryan slammed the desk angrily with his open hand. She jumped, startled by his behavior. Mia too seemed to have been taken by surprise by the sound.

-Hm, Belle, you really shouldn't talk or get near Aaron. We call him Vulture, and there's a reason for that. -Mia murmured. -Really, Zim is… Possible to handle. But Aaron is bad. Don't get near him. And if you feel like Zim is getting impatient or angry, just walk away. He might hurt you, physically, he doesn't care if it's a woman or a man, if it's small or big… He'll hurt you badly. But I really didn't tell you any of it, ok? I’m serious, Belle, this is really dangerous.

Belle wanted to ask her more about Noah being violent. The idea sounded absurd to her. But she didn't want to test Ryan's patience, so she just agreed, thanked Mia and ended the call.

-Fuck, Belle! Why did you ask about his brother? What if she was a friend of his? -He scolded her. -Don't ever do that again.

She nodded and waited as he finished setting the recording and handed her cell phone back to her.

-Did you get anything useful? -She pulled her chair closer to his. He creased his eyebrows darting his eyes between her legs and his.

-Not really, I already knew about Bethany. -He shifted in his seat to give her more space to come closer to him, then leaned forward, his leg touching hers very slightly. -But it was interesting to see what it looked like for the ones that didn't have access to all the information, anyway.

-What other information do you have? -She frowned and leaned on the table with her elbow. He scoffed and brushed her hair from her face, locking it behind her ear, as it had cascaded forward with her movement. She absentmindedly rested her cheek on his palm before getting conscious of her acts and straightening her back. -Don't mock me! What else do you know, Ryan?

-That you are getting too involved in this shit. That you should be focusing on your studies, and staying away from Noah. And from JP too. -Ryan sighed, sliding his arm over the table toward her and caressing her arm slightly, leaving a trail of goosebumps there. -And that I'm gonna kiss your mouth if you don't back away now.

Belle looked up into his eyes, confused. He tilted his head and tapped his fingers very slowly over the desk, as if counting down the seconds. She didn't move, so he did.

His hand fit on her nape and pulled her toward him, while he leaned over her and pulled her chair with the other hand, so it fit between his legs. His lips felt hot against hers and she shivered when the tip of his tongue brushed lightly over her lower lip before she gathered enough consciousness to move too and open her mouth.

It was a different kind of kiss, with delicate longing, and she felt uneasy. It was as if they were kissing for the first time and she was suddenly conscious of every move, every sound, every breath, as if the slightest mistake could break the moment and ruin it. The most abnormal part was that this time he seemed to be as nervous as her, touching her in a careful way, testing every movement to check for her reaction before going on. Her hand was frozen on his chest, so she could feel his heart slamming against his chest as fast and strong as hers.

It ended too soon. He parted from her with a delightful smacking kiss and sat back, sliding his hand from her nape to her cheek, then her chin and letting his arm drop to her thigh, which he squeezed lightly before dragging his chair back and getting up.

-Do you wanna take a walk? I need some air. -He cleared his throat and checked his phone before putting his hands in his pockets. -I can't leave you alone in here, so if you're not coming with me, you'll have to at least leave the room.

Belle was paralyzed. For a moment she had thought he would confess his love for her or at least admit he felt something, but no, he was literally acting like nothing had happened. She turned her head slowly to face him.

-Ryan… -She murmured. Her voice was almost gone, so she cleared her throat and got up, taking a deep breath. -Ryan, I need you to tell me what just happened. And if for any reason you feel pressured about having to tell me this, think twice, no, thrice, before mistreating me, because I had enough of your self-righteous rudeness! I’m really done with that, and I mean it.

Ryan eyed her up and down and smiled. It wasn't exactly a mocking smile, but it wasn't a kind one.

-I kissed you. -He lifted one shoulder, then dropped it and pressed his lips.

-I know you kissed me, what I need to know is why you did that. -She was trying to decide if she wanted to slap him or kiss him again.

-What do you mean by why? I told you I'd do it if you didn't back away, and you didn't, so I kissed you. -He shrugged. -You could've walked away.

-You're saying the only reason you did this was because I let you? -Her mood was beginning to incline toward slapping him.

-I didn't say that. I wanted to kiss you and then you let me. Those aren't the same, they are just dependent on each other. -He smirked and she took a few steps in his direction, her hand trembling with anticipation to beat him. -I just said it to remind you I didn't do it alone. I didn't force you. But yeah, I kissed you because I wanted to.

-And why the fuck did you want to? -Her voice raised involuntarily and he frowned. She took a deep breath and said, more calmly. -You said I shouldn't kiss you or touch you... You said that!

-You hugged me after that. You also kissed my neck. Twice. -He pointed out. -I like you and you don't really seem to be willing to follow through with that idea of stop loving me.

She was about to jump on his throat to strangle him, but he raised both hands as if asking for a chance to explain himself.

-I realized that our concepts of betrayal are very different. -He sighed. -And that I can accept yours, as long as you at least try to adapt it to be a bit more akin to mine. I noticed that you are trying, without me even having to ask you to, and I really appreciate it.

She tilted her head, a bit confused about where this conversation was heading to.

-But I thought about it and our concept of love might be completely different too… -He shrugged. -If that's the case, I shouldn't worry about it that much, and you shouldn't be that upset that I don't love you. We can make it work.

She stared at him blankly, he stared back with a satisfied look.

-What does that even mean? -She murmured, shaking her head. -What are you talking about? Make what work?

-This “thing” we have. I thought about our fight and, I fucking swear on my life, I can't explain why I was so upset about you saying you were mine. -He closed in on her and lifted her chin with the knot of his index finger. -You wanna be mine? I’m up for it! I'm totally fine with that. I'm even proud of it, to be honest. It flatters me, even though I still think you deserve better than me. But if it's me you want, I'm yours.

Ryan kissed her forehead and nudged her temple with his nose. Belle staggered and involuntarily closed her eyes. Her head was spinning.

-And what does that mean? Are you asking me to be your girlfriend or something like that? -She gulped. After some hesitation, she opened her eyes and looked into his. -Or are you expecting to be back to “friends with benefits” status?

Ryan wrinkled his nose. She took a step back.

-Really? Why do we have to give a name for that? -He frowned, looking down. -We're literally married. If it's a title you're looking for, I don't think humanity has established a higher one yet.

-It's a fake marriage. -She shook her head. It was his turn to take a step back, one eyebrow lifting with worry. -No, I'm not saying we should really get married, I'm just saying we both know it's fake. It's not a real title.

-The title is only useful for others, not for the couple itself. -He rolled his eyes. -But fine, you want to call yourself my girlfriend, as weird as it seems, I…

-No, I didn't say I wanted it. What I want is to know what we're doing. -She crossed her arms. -What do you want from me, where do you expect to get to with this. I wanna know if you want to make it last or if it's just a temporary distraction for you.

-You told me you're not looking for commitment… -He wrinkled his nose again and looked into her eyes. -I'm not. But I promise you I'll do my best to make you as happy as I can while it lasts.

-Then it'll have an expiring date. When we go back to New York you'll pretend this has never happened, is that it? -Her chest squeezed, but something inside her told her she was overthinking. -Or before, if you get tired of me.

-You see, they indeed don't train us for premonition. -He mocked her with her own words. -I can't tell you what I will or won't feel in the future, Belle. I can tell you only about how I feel right now. But then again, isn't that how every relationship works?

She thought about it. He was actually right. Even in a real marriage, no one could be sure it would last forever or even if both parts would want it to.

-Ok, let's say I agree with that... What are the rules? -She let her arms awkwardly hang to her sides and bit her lower lip.

-What rules? -He crossed his arms and walked toward the door to lean on the doorway. She could tell he was beyond uncomfortable with her question.

-Like… I don't know, seeing other people, for example… -She thought about it and felt the sting of jealousy pricking her.

-No. If we are gonna make this, it's me and you. If we start this, you're all and only mine until it ends. -There was a slight crease between his brows. -This is a real deal breaker, Belle, I don't negotiate loyalty and faithfulness. If you feel like having something with someone else you should tell me beforehand. And there's no second chances or coming backs, I know you think I forgave Samantha, but you don't know the whole story.

Belle moistened her lips as she gathered courage to go on. Her heart fluttered with the “you're all and only mine”.

-So, speaking of that… Keeping secrets… That's an issue. -She tried to organize her thoughts so he wouldn't feel too pressured. -Being in a relationship means sharing worries, desires and needs… And not hiding things.

-No, this won't grant you access to my personal life, Belle. Nothing will.

-A couple shouldn't keep secrets from one another. -She sighed.

-Well, take it or leave it. -He smirked. -I don't tell things, not even to my mom, I won't tell them to you.

Belle watched him for a while, then nodded, walking toward him. He had already told her a lot about himself without them being in a relationship. Something inside her told her she just had to be patient and let him naturally approach her. If she moved too fast, he would just sprint away or attack, like a wild beast.

-This means I don't need to tell you everything too, right? -She said it just to annoy him, but, to her surprise, he agreed.

-Just make sure you know the difference between not telling me things and hiding things from me or lying, and we’ll be fine. -He shrugged. -Are we good, then?

She nodded and took his outstretched hand. He yanked her arm and held her when she stumbled toward him, kissing her mouth alluringly before pushing her toward the door.

-I really need to get out of here, before I end up taking off your clothes, and doing you over my desk. -He murmured in her ear and she blushed while her body shivered with goosebumps.

Belle decided to go with him. When they passed by the pool, the women waved at her, inviting her to sit and drink with them, but she refused as politely as she managed to, knowing that what they really wanted was for Ryan to come along. Angel wasn’t with them.

JP was sitting on the edge of the pool, chatting with the man that had offered her drugs. Betty and Hanna were sunbathing a few feets away from them. The two boys waved hello and she replied it shyly, earning a squeeze from Ryan’s hand on her waist. Betty glared at her but she just looked away.

They talked about her classes and the students she met. Then, she tried to persuade him into revealing something about the investigation, but he pulled her to his chest and kissed her. It felt weird, almost wrong, since he had never engaged in public displays of affection before. She looked around, embarrassed, and gasped.

-What? -Ryan followed her gaze, alarmed. -Ah, great...

Noah was standing with his back to them and, in front of him, the man with dark green eyes looked straight into Belle's eyes and smiled. Noah turned to check what he was looking at and his already gloomy mood dropped even more.

His eyes darted from Belle to Ryan. She saw fear being quickly replaced by relief, then apprehension. He turned his head away from her again and moved his body so he would block her from the man’s eyes.

Ryan pulled her to turn around and get back inside the condo, but not before she heard Noah’s voice raising angrily.

- ...Away from her! I'm not kidding, Aaron, get back here, you owe me this! -His voice raised steadily until it reached a hoarse shout. -What the fuck do you think you're doing?

She turned to look but Ryan kept pulling her, holding her shoulder firmly. Aaron had taken some steps closer and was about to point the camera of his phone toward her. Her heart started to slam on her ears, but not out of fear for herself. Ryan was right beside her. If for some reason that picture was found by Daniel, he would immediately know that Ryan was alive.

It all just happened too fast, so much that her panicking mind froze and she couldn't move. Ryan clicked his tongue and looked back too, to check what she was staring at and saw the phone. He immediately let go of her and strode toward Aaron, but Noah was closer and tried to snatch the phone from his hand. The man jerked his arm away and slammed Noah's nose with his elbow. Blood gushed almost instantaneously and the boy's fist raised in a violent blow.

Ryan stopped and watched the exchange, tilting his head slightly. When he turned to talk to Belle there was a hint of a smirk on his face.

-Go back inside and lock the door. -He said, tossing the keys for her to catch. -I'll be with you in a couple of minutes. Don’t open the door if it’s not me.

-I won't leave you two here! -She grunted, using both hands to catch the keys. The sound of Noah's second blow made the hair on her neck stand up. -Won't you stop them?

-Why would I? He's surprisingly competent. -He shrugged and put his hands in his pocket. -They both are doing great. I won't allow a broken neck, but I'm ok with a broken arm.

Belle rolled her eyes and headed toward the tangle of arms and legs, but Ryan put an arm around her waist and threw her over his shoulder, heading to the main gate. She squirmed and tried to get down, but he just held her firmly and laughed.

-Go back inside. Now. -He put her down and kissed her forehead. -I'm serious, Belle. Please.

She peered at the fight behind him. Aaron had his knee over Noah's throat and was trying to free his arms from the boy's grip to punch him.

-Help him. Please. -She whined.

-He doesn't really seem to need my help… -He smirked, turning right when Noah managed to roll over and slam the side of Aaron's face with his shoulder. -But I'll stop this shit, just let me have some fun first, I've been longing to knock their teeth out for so long now…

She crossed her arms and frowned.

-Right, go inside and I'll aid him as soon as I can't see you anymore, deal? -He rolled his eyes and crossed his arms too. They both turned when Noah let out a loud grunt of pain and a sound of something popping was heard. -If you want to make sure he won't have to see a doctor, you'd better hurry up, though.

Belle hesitated, but she could see he was amused by the situation. He wasn't joking about sitting and watching them beat each other to near death.

-Promise me you'll help him? -She bit her lower lip. -Do you promise he'll be safe?

-As safe as I can make him. -He took her face in his hands and kissed her mouth very gently. -Go.

Belle turned and started to run. When she reached the pool, she turned back to check if he was still watching her, but he wasn't there anymore.