Discussion Why is EER called a parody novel?

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by Demon Empress, Jan 21, 2022.

1. Demon Empress

Demon Empress Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A: Everyone Else is a Returnee is a masterpiece!
    B: No, this is an overrated novel, *writes down the reasons*
    A: Your reasoning is invalid. This is a Parody novel so it's justified!
    B: Parody???

•••••
    I have read Eer until chapter 70. But, I still don't understand why some people say this is a parody novel? As far as I've read, although there is comedy (which isn't funny), the writing style is quite serious, I see no sign this will be a parody novel.

So can some enlighten me, why is it called a parody novel?

2. Rizkiv1

Rizkiv1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Lul it's first time know the thought
    eer is parody, but yeah, foreshadowing is strong in this novel

Demon Empress likes this.
  3. bob3002

bob3002 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I wouldn't say it's a parody novel, but the main character is very genre-savvy about common story tropes, and often points them out, to other characters' confusion.

Perhaps you could say it's a parody of the harem style of novel, with a hero who doesn't act in a heroic way (sneak attacks and hiding behind the scenes) and knows it.

Demon Empress likes this.
  4. chencking

chencking [Daolord Grammar Nazi]

Reading List:
    Link
    It isn't called a parody novel. And the review I found by ctrl + F searching for the word is just using "parody" as an excuse for bad writing and cliches. Even if they like it despite the cliches, that does not make it a parody.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2022
    asriu and Demon Empress like this.
  5. Eternal Emperor

Eternal Emperor SelfAware-PieceOfShit

Reading List:
    Link
    From what I can recall it wasn’t a parody by any means but certainly had a self aware vibe going… It’s enjoyable if you turn your brain off with all the inconsistencies.

6. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    It isn't a parody, but it's very clear that towards the end of the novel, the author just gave up. The main character just spammed a single skill and killed literally almost all of his enemies. He even
    one-shotted God, who was supposed to be the final villain, with a spear

armad224 likes this.
  7. MianaXenia

MianaXenia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    EER came out years ago. It’s a Toika novel where the mc pretty much will have an exponential growth. The only reason ppl can say it’s a “parody” is that it didn’t follow the tropes mc having to suffer defeat under a stronger monster to grow. The mc is constantly overgearing, leveling up, and grinding his skills. Which is why he pretty much one shots if he stacks all of his passives and skills on one target.

this might not be accurate completely but I’d say it’s one of the first novels that has a MC that is able to pretty much stop the usual cliche stuff because of his personal foresight. Just see him as a novel savvy person who knows that usually after a boss is a hidden boss and another ancient boss after that

now that there are more novels that do that compared to before

8. Fluffums

Fluffums 【R-18 Researcher】【Seeker of Moe】

Reading List:
    Link
    First, I looked up a definition of the word "parody".
    noun
    1. an imitation of the style of a particular writer, artist, or genre with deliberate exaggeration for comic effect.
    Then, I read EER.. /timeskip

Okay, so Toika's works are basically all parodies of various types of protagonists in the modern fantasy genre. He picks an attribute and increases it beyond the limit for the main character, makes the main character (or a major character) genre savvy so he can make jokes about what's happening or what will happen next, so on and so forth. It's definitely focused on deliberate exaggeration of the genre for comic effect.

The real question is, does being parody excuse bad writing? No, no it doesn't. When it falls flat, it's usually worse than a regular novel of the genre. However, people who get the joke and find it funny will enjoy a parody quite a lot. When [the translated version] came out, the setup was right for people to enjoy it - it had a great translator, was before the flood of Toika works (they're all pretty much the same), there were a few big "returnee" type novels out before it, but not a glut, so the genre was fresh...

The timing is important in whether or not you enjoy a story, and anyway arguing over what's good or bad on the internet is a waste of time. Just agree to disagree.

Shio likes this.