Discussion Modern Transmigrators

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by dweenator, Mar 19, 2022.

1. dweenator

dweenator Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Has there ever been a CN novel where Modern Transmigrators actually used modern knowledge to gain an advantage over their, relatively speaking, primitive aboriginal counterparts?

I mean, I'm not a scientists, I'm just an ordinary civilian but the logic of how Guns works isn't exactly rocket science. Some things you can probably replace with cultivation elements.

Like, why would you want to be a swordsman? or use a bow and arrow? Fuck, I'd spend my time figuring out how would I go about making a shotgun(short range), assault rifle(long range), and a few grenades(for when you are clichedly surrounded). With those alone, I'd probably dominate those in the mortal realms.

Not to mention that you can most likely evolve said weapons further down the beaten cultivation path. Imagine an Immortal wielding machine gun, just firing wantonly upon your enemies. I'd probably attach one to my flying spirit beast and go brrrrrr upon my enemies.

I feel like the path I've described above is a more realistic depiction as to what would happen if a Modern person were to be transported to a relatively ancient cultivation world.

OP senior brother likes this.
  2. S4TY4

S4TY4 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Haven't found anything similar in CHN novels (be it ones that CHN origin or JPN ones), esp cultivation ones. The closets ones I'be found are:
    Chronicles of The Hardships of Komachi in The Sengoku Era
    Manuke FPS
    GATE: JSDF Fought Here
    Saving 80,000 Gold in an Another World for Retirement
    Goshujin-sama to Yuku Isekai Survival!
    GunOta

Maybe 'coz CHN people don't have access to firearms aside from military, police & those in firearms manufacturing industry so it's +/- a closed knowledge? Plus AFAIK they mostly don't have direct internet access to international world

Last edited: Mar 19, 2022
  3. Arcadia Blade

Arcadia Blade ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ You can do it!!

Reading List:
    Link
    "I have the power of cultivation in my body, an alchemy on my left, and this gun on my right that I found on the ground."

I mean seriously, you can mixed modern stuff with alchemy and its not like mixing science and cultivation could do no harm. Just like science and magic, its not like its going to be hard to mix both considering our imagination is limitless.

A sword that can cut the spirit in the body? How about a boomstick that can shred through the spirit instead?

Cultivation books? Have you heard of Ebooks that contain countless cultivation knowledge from the mighty 'Dao of Google'?

Space Storage? Have you heard of Digital Storage that not only stores your items but also your bank account?

Seriously? Why stick to traditional meditation when you can just go to the virtual world to grind some exp?

As long as a writer can have imagination, its not hard to write an actual cultivation that used modern knowledge like how magic is combined with fantasy.

4. Saitama.sensei

Saitama.sensei [[xiantian lifeform]]

Reading List:
    Link
    Because CN cultivation novels usually have ridiculous distances and units of measurement.. you think you can make a rifle that can shoot someone from 2 light years away? Maybe I misunderstood your question but if you’re looking for something that combines science with cultivation/magic then release that witch did that perfectly

Gabi_128 likes this.
  5. dweenator

Reading List:
    Link
    It probably falls under chinese state censorship right? I guess there's a leeway with cold weapons especially if its "martial arts" since people don't really take it as a serious threat but hot weapons on the other hand. Yeah, I can see them as that level of paranoid that they would censor anything and everything about hot weapons.

100 farmers wielding swords isn't exactly as threatening as a 100 farmers wielding guns.

6. dweenator

Reading List:
    Link
    You think a flying sword killing someone from 2 light years away is anymore realistic?

As I've said, if you can combine a sword with cultivation powers, you should be able to do the same for guns and any other modern hot weapons.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2022
  7. jad14661

jad14661 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    not to be a heckler or anything but even if the transmigrator has modern knowledge it doesn't mean they would know how to make a gun, they would also have to learn how to weld to create the parts for the gun unless they're willing to let another person know about it, also if you use better/heavier materials then the gunpowder will not produce enough gas/power to fire the bullet fast enough to do any damage, even if there was an improved version of gunpowder or some sort of formation to replacement it wouldn't be as fast as physically enhanced cultivator but i dont really know what im talking about lol, i've seen this one novel called selling firearms

luoxinle likes this.
  8. NotableEmperor

NotableEmperor Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Umm... These kinds of things are explained in novels with modern settings. Guns/Bullets are basically useless when someone's cultivation is high enough. It's mostly after golden core(level 3 equivalent) that bullets cannot penetrate the skin in most modern setting novels. It gets more ridiculous when their cultivation realm increases enough, some even survive nuclear weapons unscathed.

Overall, I think this idea itself is unpopular. People like martial arts and action in cultivation novels. But I'm sure you'll find novels like that if you look hard enough(mtl prob?).
    If you can just kill someone with higher cultivation with only a weapon what's the point of cultivating?

If you want to read guns going brrrrrr you're better off reading normal novels or cn/jp without cultivation system.
    Off the top of my head, "I Have a Mansion in the Post-apocalyptic World" goes that route. The mc goes into the future(21xx - apocalypse) and brings tech from there to current times(20xx).

As for cultivation novels, guns are allowed sometimes at the lowest levels (level <3). But it's useless at higher levels in most novels.
    The only 1 that had gun effective at higher levels that I read, is probably "Throne of Magical Arcana". But to operate these guns those people had to also have high levels to provide the necessary power(mc never uses one and it's ineffective for highest levels - used mainly by kingdom knights). This novel is also based on science+cultivation(magic).

Last edited: Mar 19, 2022
  9. dweenator

Reading List:
    Link
    I actually addressed this albeit with assumptions.

Like I'm a civilian, haven't touched a gun nor read about them but I know how they generally work. That alone is like a light house that can guide you to a general direction as to how to replicate how a gun works.

That's why I said that you can probably replace some parts with cultivation related stuff. An array perhaps. IDK, your imagination is the limit.

10. S4TY4

S4TY4 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Probably unrelated, but I just remembered 3 parts of Cultivation Chat Group:
    - a member of the group went into secluded cultivation & almost died when his place got bombed due to somehow it became the zero ground of nuclear testing
    - MC got dragged into someone else's 8th stage ascension & the challenge there was to survive a barrage of modern weaponry including nukes
    - Senior White, a senior of the group, went & challenge the 8th stage. But instead of challenging directly from the start, he use the opportunity to collect lots of those nuclear missiles

11. dweenator

Reading List:
    Link
    Heard about that novel from time to time here but unfortunately I avoid any modern setting novels so as to not tarnish my brain with unnecessary propaganda and racism.

12. Saitama.sensei

Saitama.sensei [[xiantian lifeform]]

Reading List:
    Link
    No I don’t think it’s realistic, but it beats reloading your cartridge if you can control if with your vital qi or whatever

13. dweenator

Reading List:
    Link
    The essence of that argument is the material right so if one can make a sword that can kill others on any level, it is possible to make bullets that can kill on any level albeit it would be wasteful but hey, if you can kill them with 1 bullet you're technically saving resources from preventing a drawn out battle with cold weapons.

Level with me here, at level 0 with no fantasy power, a bullet breaking the sound barrier will always be faster than a thrown sword. Now add fantasy power to both of those. This is my argument basically, at its essence hot weapons > cold weapons.

14. NotableEmperor

Reading List:
    Link
    In the case of modern settings, the earth is considered a lower realm with non-existent spirit qi. So, materials for making powerful gun+bullet is probably impossible. I would still go with unpopularity. I remember reading a comment on a Japanese novel where people complained that the author used gun+cannon in a magic setting.
    Instead of brrrrr people want clang, bang, shua, etc.

I just remembered you probably want to read something like "Tales of the Reincarnated Lord". In that novel, the MC is a lord and does army battle with modern-day knowledge. He starts with trebuchets and by the end of the novel he wins battles with cannons after researching gunpowder for quite some time. But even in that, it's the normal soldiers using it in war.
    By the end, MC was one of the most powerful cultivators in the world and personally doesn't use modern weapons(his army does). If the novel didn't get canceled maybe he would've produced guns/rifles by the end.

Also, there's gunpowder mentioned in "Daddy Fantasy World Restaurant". I haven't read it fully, but I remember a dwarf researching gunpowder(by accident) to kill dragons.
    In that novel, MC knows the formula but doesn't help that dwarf because guns are "evil", and he doesn't want that world to follow our footsteps(can't remember but I think the system in his head also asks him not to).

15. dweenator

Reading List:
    Link
    I've come across that novel but I haven't touched it, I think something in the review turned me off. I'll check it out after I'm done with what I'm reading.

That's crazy though about the guns are evil. It's just a tool. Like a sword isn't any better than a gun, both are tools for killing though both can also be used for protection. I feel like that's the author pleasing the Chinese Government since we all know they go through state censorship. I guess that's one way of keeping the people from having a bit of power in their hands since guns are the ultimate equalizer. Then again, I maybe reading too much into it.

16. NotableEmperor

Reading List:
    Link
    Nope, in that setting guns are evil in 2 ways. Because cultivators need to cultivate before they're somewhat powerful and can participate in wars. If you suddenly introduce guns even normal people can be equipped with guns and you'll be indirectly responsible for the death of thousands/millions of people if some power-hungry monarch gets his hands on them.
    Another thing is the progression from guns. Guns > Cannons > Missiles > ICBM(a bit far fetched I know).

With that said, you're thing too much when it comes to Daddy Fantasy World Restaurant. It's just a guy who was an engineer who later became food critic transmigrating as a chef with a daughter in a fantasy(magic) world. Most of the novel is making food(system novel), taking care of his daughter, etc.
    He just didn't give the dwarf the formula but didn't mind if the dwarf figured it out on his own by researching(didn't stop him). He just didn't want to affect the progression of that world too much.
    Also, when he transmigrated there was a system in his brain, and that system vehemently refused him to give the formula so as not to affect the natural progression of the world.

You should probably read some jp novels, many jp novels do mention how modern-age knowledge can affect the otherworld and how in some cases it could be dangerous.

17. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean... Most authors that like a given genre that is generally used in high fantasy, will probably want to stick to high fantasy too.

It's just not that interesting to mix up modern stuff in your fantastical setting, because like... It's a fantastical setting. You want it to keep being fantastical.

18. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    tbh, on fantasy stuff gun is just long range weapon with discarded err expendable ammunition~ missile weapon? the idea is ok ONLY on early stage~ they have BARRIER stuff~ bigger gun can be good idea but that depend on MATERIAL used plus bunch of other stuff~
    here the example
    40 millennium cultivation, it like magic x scienfic stuff but the magic is cultivation stuff~
    there another but forget it titles, it early cn wn translation story~

gun on sword and magic not really new stuff, technically it just another weapon~ put array or formation on bullet, gun or both may give other fantastical effect~ it also possibly play with material used for making gun~
    here the limit of any missile weapon~ your ammunition~ the limit of cold weapon, durability~

19. Fluffums

Fluffums 【R-18 Researcher】【Seeker of Moe】

Reading List:
    Link
    Release That Witch. And a few other xuanhuan.

It's unheard of in cultivation novels because let's face it, once you've finished body cultivation you're going to be immune to standard infantry hot weapons, and once you've reached a certain level above that most of the heavy artillery will be useless, then tactical level weapons, etc. They also don't scale with increased speed and strength and at some point you'd be able to reach and punch an enemy before you could hit them with a bullet from a gun anyway. And bullets only go as fast as the guns shoot them.

On the other hand, what really disappoints me is not using knowledge from Earth for enlightenment purposes. I'd be millennia ahead of most of the music cultivators in cultivation novels just by knowing harmony. I've known how the four elements work since middle school chemistry. I understand the golden ratio (when they talk about enlightenment from lotuses, it's that). I know all the simple machines and how to increase or redirect force, which is the basis for the majority of martial arts movements. I know how gravity works, I know E=MC squared, I know how light and sound are waves, so on and so forth. I know the scientific method and would be able to test various alchemy and formation concepts until I can perfect them even without talent as long as I keep proper records.

Having the culmination of thousands of years of scientific achievement from around the entire world condensed into their compulsory education, they throw it all away and just start randomly throwing punches and swinging swords the way they're told without even considering their past lives' knowledge, how pitiful these xianxia protagonists are. How ignorant.

20. frustratedguy109

frustratedguy109 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Unless you're a chemist or some sort of expert on firearms, the average joe is probably only going to know the ingredients for black powder. Don't think about modern firearms with modern gunpowder, we're talking about muskets and such from the 18th or 19th century at best.

As already said, cultivators can send a sword to cut off someone's head from 1000 li away. With your gun, your range is less than 1% of that. Use spirit energy or magic or something to boost the power of your bullets? How's that any different than using spirit energy or magic or something to power your flying sword?

There are limits to gunpowder. While you can use it to defeat low level cultivators, once you face someone with enough spirit energy or whatever to mimic or better gunpowder, it doesn't have any advantage. Once you replace the gunpowder with something else, it mainly becomes the difference between a projectile in the shape of a bullet vs a projectile in the shape of a sword. Just like how a grenade would be no different than an exploding talisman.