Novel ✪ Memory Corruption (R-18) (Book 1 and 2 Finished) (Book 3 on release now)

Discussion in 'Community Fictions' started by GiBro, Jul 2, 2021.

1. GiBro

GiBro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This chapter is huge and it could easily be three chapters, in my opinion... I might divide it later.
    Anyway, let me leave this here:
    FINALLY. Finally the L word coming from Ryan, even if not out his mouth. Finally Agatha being introduced (and only I know how many times I've tried to smuggle her into random passages and just thought: nah, too obvious, nah, didn't sound natural, nop, they are gonna focus on her and not give any attention to the rest, but here we are) And finally Denovan making his comeback. Hope you enjoy it :blobpopcorn_cool:

Last edited: Apr 21, 2022
    imeren and TZia like this.
  2. TZia

TZia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    OK, that chapter wasn’t a bomb, it was a tactical nuke! I’m speechless, I really don’t know what to say, I need some time to process this information and recover from it, this may take a while.

Who is Agatha? And Magda and Domenico know about her? I’m going to take a wild stab at this and say possibly “estranged daughter” or significant person back in New York? He did refer to Agatha as “the girl” not woman, so I don’t think it’s a girlfriend. And if Magda knows about her there must be some family tie. Whoever Agatha is, she was not living with him at least not at the time that he took Belle to his apartment. Or maybe I’m totally crazy!!! And Louise died? How did that happen? There is so much that it even overtook Ryan’s realization of the “L” moment. And then Denovan showed up at his doorstep to take Belle away!

I’m going to need to take a tranquilizer and go lay down for a bit. I may come back with a longer post after I recovero_O

imeren and GiBro like this.
  3. GiBro

GiBro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Waiting patiently :whistle:
    Tomorrow unfortunately I won't manage to post(if I do it will be like last week, very late), so I'm scheduling next chapter for Friday,ok? ;)

4. TZia

TZia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My dear @GiBro, no worries any time you post will be fine;)
    I’m still in recovery mode, that last chapter was just too much, my neurones are firing all over the place and my thoughts are in overdrive:p.
    I will probably have a longer post or questions (more likely) tomorrow, once things calm down a little at work:rolleyes:

5. TZia

TZia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thoughts on Chapter 54:

Before I start sharing my thoughts, I just wanted to congratulate our dear author @GiBro for this amazing story. There are some many layers to the characters and more twists in the plot than twists in a double helix DNA strand (please excuse the geek in me):p I just love everything about the story.

Let’s start with Ryan’s “Come to Jesus” moment when he is starting to realize that he’s in love with Belle and still trying to deny it by looking for justifications other than the obvious for his feelings. All along I thought that he realized that he was in love but just refused to accept it, but his POV in this chapter really convinced me that this was truly the first time that the L word dawned on him, so that makes me question the ring box locked up in his drawer. Is it really a ring and did he really buy that for Belle? I have my doubts and if he didn’t buy the ring for Belle, then who is it for? Or is the ring box a family heirloom, maybe like his grandmother’s ring that was passed down to him for when he finds “the one”? He mentioned that he really mourned the death of his grandmother so I’m assuming that he was quite close to her. I know, it’s a wild guess but this book really stirs up my fertile imagination.

Then there is sleazy Denovan that makes a come back. If anything, this is the universe sending Ryan a clear message not to send Belle away, I hope that Ryan heeds that message. Why would he handover Belle to a man that has a personal vendetta against him and has already tried to use Belle to hurt him? Is Denovan still conspiring with Andrews? I am really worried about the message that Riveira sent him that something shady was going on with the Marshals. I hope that Ryan will have the good sense to cancel this, I just don’t see him handing over Belle especially now that there is also the love component, if anything I expect him to get even more protective of her. So if Belle doesn’t go with Denovan (and I hope that she doesn’t because I don’t see anything good coming of this) then what are the other options? He clearly feels that it’s too dangerous for her to stay and going away together to Domenico’s island is also not an option. If Ryan stubbornly sticks to his plan to send her away (with Denovan or some other Marshal) and he also moves, Noah is going to lose it. As I previously mentioned he is obsessed with Belle, what if he turns to his father or brother to help find her? Both Anthony and Aron are connected to Daniel and if they lean on Daniel to help find “Belinda” this could blow everything out of the water.

And now let’s get to the elephant in the room, Agatha. I have literally scoured through the previous chapters to see if there were any subtle hints to her character and her relationship to Ryan but I couldn’t find anything. At first I thought that she might be Ryan’s little daughter especially after he mentions that he needs to reconnect with her and make sure that she didn’t think that he neglected her but that just doesn’t seem feasible for couple of reasons: 1) he didn’t disclose something this big to Belle, if he spoke to her about his fiancee, I would think that he would certainly have talked about his daughter. 2) Samantha, from what little we know about her she doesn’t seem like someone who would get seriously involved with a man that came with that type of baggage, she was too needy and I don’t think that she would want to share Ryan’s attention with his daughter. 3) When they were on the island and Ryan mentioned that his dad would get along with Belle with their shared interest for protecting the environment, he mentioned that his dad wanted to preserve the environment for future generations and sarcastically said as if there was any hope that he would have a future generation. I interpreted this as no future Desmonds because Richard was dead and Ryan didn’t entertain any ideas of having children. So the question begs who is this mysterious Agatha and what is her relationship with Ryan? I don’t think it’s a girlfriend because Ryan himself said that after Samantha died he dedicated himself exclusively to his job. Furthermore Ryan is a real stickler for fidelity, it would be extremely out of character if he hooked up with Belle while having a girlfriend back home. And then there is Magda who is cheering for them to get together. I don’t think that she would be encouraging Ryan if she knew he already had a girlfriend back in New York. But Agatha is someone close to Ryan and the family since both Magda and Domenico seem to intimately know about her. I also wonder if she is seriously ill since he mentions that Magda would have told him right away if she had been sick and Domenico would also have dragged him back to New York if there was any indication that she was hospitalized in need of treatment. He also mentioned that the relationship was extremely fragile and complicated. I have a suspicion of who Agatha might be but there was no indication in Book 1 or 2 that would support my suspicion. I guess that we will just have to wait and see if there is any basis for my suspicion.:whistle::whistle::whistle:

@GiBro, without giving spoilers can you at least tell us whether more will be revealed about Agatha in Book 2 or do we have to wait for Book 3?
    Well this is the end of my long rant. I am impatiently waiting for the next chapter to see what happens with Denovan.:blobfearful:

Last edited: Apr 22, 2022
    GiBro and imeren like this.
  6. GiBro

GiBro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    - --> this would've been an interesting plot, but I must admit it never crossed my mind

--->
    Please, spoiler box or DM :cry::unsure:

-->
    Unfortunately there will be no space for thoughts of Agatha in book 2. I did hint it veeeery subtlety in book 1, but no names and no direct mentions to who or what she is.
    Book 3 will have lots of Agatha, but most of her story I wrote in Ryan's POV (and I must say it's cute)

Thank you so much for your long rants, I always love them.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2022
    TZia and imeren like this.
  7. GiBro

GiBro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 55

Belle was staring at the wall, sitting over Ryan's study's carpet. The book was hanging loose open on her palm. She hadn't turned a page, hadn't read a line.

Her mind was twirling, bouncing between her fear of Daniel, her confusion about why she had seen Denovan standing in the middle of their living room, her broken pride because of Ryan yelling at her, telling her to go to her room and stay there, as if she was a child, her rage matching his when she told him she wouldn't go, followed by the surprise of being dragged upstairs by her arm and pushed to the corridor in an aggressive manner he had never shown before toward her, not even on the night he dragged her to the bunker and pushed her back to stop her from running out. Right now she couldn't understand what had happened or was still happening. All she knew was that Denovan had left almost two hour after all that and Ryan had locked her in his study again.

I can guarantee that your lives will be nothing but a living hell from now on. Denovan’s voice had sounded no louder than a murmur, but she had heard it clearly as she paced down the stairs, staring wide eyed from Ryan to the all-white man.

Ryan's voice startled her and her eyes moved toward the shut door. The book slipped from her fingers, but she didn't try to catch it.

He was insanely angry. She had never heard so many bad words in a row. All she could think was that she hoped he wasn't still talking to Riviera, because if he was, she would certainly be offended with his attitude.

It was the first time he didn't show any concern about the neighbors or herself knowing the subjects of his talk, but, although he was being loud, even she was having great difficulty understanding what he was talking about, aside from the information that he was really pissed and wanted to kill a woman and a man. He didn't use names, but she knew he was referring to Andrews and Denovan.

After a lot more swearing and cursing, there was absolute silence, then the sound of glass shattering and another curse. Belle got up with her eyebrows creased.

-Ryan? -She called him with a raspy voice.

After a couple of minutes, the door opened and he got in, the veins on his temples looking like they were about to burst.

-Ryan… -She murmured and he looked at her. She made her best efforts not to flinch or back away, but couldn't suppress a gulp. He sighed and slowly melted his frown.

-Yes, Belle? -His tone was neutral. Better than shouting, but far from comfortable.

Belle looked around, feeling ashamed for being so afraid of him. She knew he wouldn't do her harm, physically, but didn't want to risk hearing something hurtful from him, especially after believing this day would be the last one she would ever spend by his side. She wanted to ask him if Denovan’s visit meant he wouldn't send her away anymore, but was afraid he would think she was getting pleasure from a situation that clearly worried and frustrated him to extreme extents.

-I need to…Restroom… -She stuttered and blushed.

-Of course… I'm sorry, Belle. -He sighed, stepping away from the doorway. -You're free to go, sorry, I was stupid for keeping you here.

-I want to stay with you… I'm just gonna go and come back, ok? -She tested.

-Sure. -He didn't look at her as she approached him. -Sorry for… I'm sorry.

-You don't need to apologize. -She tiptoed in front of him and kissed his neck, since he didn't look down for her to be able to kiss his mouth. She pouted, leaning her chin under his Adam's apple and trying to look into his eyes. -I love you…

His eyes flared and moved toward her. Ryan stared into her eyes and took a deep breath.

-Belle… I… -But he seemed to have lost his line of thought and frowned, scoffing and shaking his head. He took her face between his hands and kissed her mouth softly. -Are you still hungry?

-I could eat… I'm gonna reheat it for us, ok? -She felt weird about doing something so mundane while he looked like they were preparing for a war. -I'll be there in a minute, ok?

He nodded and she headed for the door, but he held her by her hand.

-Be careful, I broke a glass… Leave it to me, I’ll clean everything later, but, for now I know I did a poor job. Please, watch where you step…

Belle pressed her lips and got out. She immediately spotted the yellowish stain on the wall and recognized the smell of alcohol. His breath hadn't indicated any signs that he had drunk, so she guessed the glass had landed on the wall before he took the first sip.

They sat in silence at the table and he was lost in thoughts. Belle tried to touch his hand but he blatantly reached for his glass to avoid her touch. They were almost done when the doorbell rang.

-Belle, don't freak out, ok? -He sighed. -It's Destiny.

Belle's face stiffened and she got up too, following him a few steps behind.

-I just need to talk with her, please, Belle… This certainly isn't a good moment for us to have an argument. -He rolled his eyes and she felt like she could slap him. -It's kind of a business meeting, you should go upstairs or at least finish your meal and occupy yourself with something else…

Belle just ignored him and stood by his side.

When he opened the door, Diana's eyes darted from him to her, looking both of them up and down. She didn't look so beautiful anymore. She looked sick and tired.

-Hello, my boo. -She smiled at Ryan and bit the tip of her tongue.

-Get in. Don't talk to her, or about her, I'm warning you. -He sighed and got out of the way to let her in, but Belle didn't move.

-Excuse me, pygmy. -Diana moved her neck to throw her long hair to her other shoulder with the back of her hand, looking down at Belle with her face full of contempt. -You're standing in my way.

Belle frowned and Ryan embraced her shoulders, pulling her body against his chest. Diana got in with an arrogant posture, looking down on her.

-Are you deaf? -He huffed and held Belle more firmly when she tried to get rid of his arms. -You know I can make your life miserable with one call now, don't you?

-She started it. Besides, what worse could you do than letting them take me to the palace even after I told you I didn't want to? -She raised an eyebrow and looked at him with a murderous glare.

-Try me and you'll find out. -Ryan grunted, giving his back to her and pulling Belle with him toward the sofa. -Take a seat, it will be long.

-Won't we go to your study? -She gave a sideways glance at Belle and she crossed her arms.

-Ignore her, she'll do the same to you. -He gave Belle a meaningful look. -I wanna hire your services.

-I don't kill anymore. In case you didn't notice, I'm on probation exactly because of bastards like you. -Diana sat and crossed her long legs, exposing most of her tanned thighs with her mini skirt.

-Your other services. It's an asshole called John Denovan. He has a weakness for your type. -Ryan sat beside her, putting some distance between them, and signaled Belle to sit in his lap.

Belle creased her eyebrows. She didn't understand what Diana could do against Denovan, but just the information that she was a murderer and was on probation were enough to make her head spin. Ryan noticed her discomfort and snorted, squeezing her waist with his palms.

-Are you convinced yet that this is not the type of conversation you want to take part in? -He lifted one eyebrow, smirking when she blushed. -Go do your things, Belle, the only way is down in this talk. You're gonna hear things that will only make you feel bad about me.

Belle pressed her lips and thought about it. He was right. Although it wasn't clear what exactly he was hiring Diana for, it was certainly something illegal and immoral. She didn't want to know, not only because of the resentment she would build toward him, but mainly because of the possibility of her being questioned about it and not being able to lie, in case he was prosecuted for it.

When he saw her nodding and she tried to turn to walk away, he held her hand and kissed her mouth passionately. Belle was divided between feeling uncomfortable about doing it in front of Diana and feeling proud that he had done it.

She hesitated, but when Diana looked at her as if she was a puppy, she clung to Ryan's neck and pressed her cheek against his.

-I'll want to know what this is about. -She murmured in his ear. -And tell that bitch that if she calls me pigmy once more, I'll punch her in her face.

Ryan raised his eyebrows, clearly amused with her sudden fierceness.

-Alright, tigress… Thanks for the warning, I'm gonna get the popcorn ready. -He sighed and waited until she was done climbing the stairs to turn to Diana. -I would watch my back when she comes around from now on, if I were you. She's famous for ripping people’s skins and muscles with her teeth.

-Fits you like a glove. What do you want me to do, Ryan? And what do I get from it?

They spent about two hours discussing the details of his plans. When Belle couldn't take anymore, she tiptoed down the corridor, trying to eavesdrop. She did trust Ryan, but was afraid of what Diana might try to do to get his attention. She couldn't deny it: this time her curiosity was mostly driven by jealousy rather than for the need to know how Ryan was planning to get rid of Denovan.

In the few minutes she listened to their exchange, she learned that Denovan apparently had some very important relatives in the government and that he had been temporarily reallocated to Florida instead of being retired. The intention was to wait for the dust to settle so he could either go back to New York or be nominated to another position. The President, unaware of the whole situation, had accepted a suggestion from one of Denovan’s cousins that worked in the Cabinet. Ryan was planning to ruin the said cousin’s life too, but his priority was to get rid of Denovan so he and Belle could be moved back to New York as soon as possible.

They didn't talk about the plan, but for what Belle had heard, she understood that the general idea was to ruin his reputation so his credibility would be shaken and Riviera's appeal would weigh more than his words.

-Ok, Ryan… I'll do it for you, almost for free… -Diana’s voice was provocative and sexy.

-I don't want it for free. I'll pay you, in cash or in jewelry, you choose. -Ryan grunted. -I don't want to owe you anything, I want to get rid of you as soon as this case is closed.

-You won't owe me anything. All you have to do is to find a way so they won't take me to the palace. -Her voice trembled. -I still can't believe you did it to me without a second thought. And you even threw me in the arms of that pig… You have to take me out of that situation.

-I can't. You know I can't. Pick something else. -Belle could tell he was very tired. -I could hire someone else, you're just conveniently near.

-Let's pretend I believe you have another option. I don't think I'm asking for too… What in the world is this? Wow, Ryan! -She cut herself and her voice changed to a higher pitch. It was a mix of shock and admiration. -Is that a natural blue diamond?

-Don't! -Ryan's voice sounded like a whip, full of urgency and menace. -Don't touch it, it's Belle's.

-Why? Do you believe my touch would turn your eternal love oath’s symbol impure? -She mocked him. -It's ok, I don't even need to touch it to know this is an invaluable piece. I want it.

-It's not mine to give. And even if it was, it's too much for this work.

-You want me to pull down two men who have the President's blessing. I think three million dollars is fair enough. -Her tone was nonchalant.

Belle heard Ryan gasping in his drink.

-No fucking way.

-I'm pretty sure you got it by extortion, so it's fair you'll give it up in another shady deal…

-I'm not talking about this, it's Belle's and you're not having it, but how did you come to the conclusion it's worth three millions?

-Well, probably a bit more because of the other diamonds, but the blue diamond itself is worth roughly it… -Belle’s eyes were wide open. She had no idea the jewel was worth that much. Ryan had warned her it was expensive, but he had compared it to a car, not to a yacht. -Fifteen to eighteen carats deep vivid blue diamond like this one, I'm pretty sure it's worth something around that.

There was an embarrassing silence and Diana burst out laughing.

-What? Didn't you know about it? Did you steal this, Desmond? I wouldn't ever expect this from you, giving a stolen jewel to the woman you love, what bad manners… -She mocked him and he clicked his tongue. -And to leave something so precious scattered in the living room like that… I'm sure she won't mind it if you give it to me instead.

-It wasn't a gift from me. But you're right, I didn't know it was that valuable. She forgot about it because I took it off her neck to fuck her exactly in the spot you're sitting right now. We both couldn't care less about the necklace at the moment. -His tone was empty of emotions and Belle wished she could read his mind to know what he was feeling. -We're done here, Destiny. I'm gonna think about your payment for the job, and I'll have someone contact you tonight to close the deal. I highly advise you not to flirt with him.

-Why, are you gonna get jealous? -Her voice was so sexy Belle had to cover her mouth with both hands to stop herself from grunting.

-No, it's just friendly advice. But you're an adult, and old enough to make your own decisions and suffer the consequences for them.

-Are you sending me a thug to settle our deal?

-I'm sending you the heir of one of the most powerful mafias in the east side of the United States. That's why I'm warning you to behave in front of him. -His tone was so emotionless that Belle wasn't even shocked to hear it. -He's not into women and his patience usually runs out faster than mine. I won't feel responsible if he hurts you because of shit you did.

There was an uncomfortable silence and Belle heard footsteps toward the door. She got up to leave for her room but Diana's voice made her stop.

-I want to be safe, Ryan. That's my price and I know you can afford it. I won't accept any other deal. If you think I'm gonna accept some lame price just because your representative scares me, you're dead wrong.

-You already told me your price. Goodbye, Destiny.

-Goodbye, Mr. Herrera.

Ryan got into the bedroom and stared at Belle for a couple of minutes. She stared back, standing in front of the bed with her music player in her hand.

-Do you have something you'd like to tell me? -He sighed after a while.

Belle felt her cheeks burn. He knows I've eavesdropped.

-Like…? -She murmured.

-You tell me. Do you want to tell me something?

-I was curious.

-And jealous. -He rolled his eyes when she just nodded. -How much have you heard?

-How did you know?

-I know you. And I can hear you breathing, I know the sound of your footsteps and you're kind of loud when you're trying not to scream in rage or fear. -He smirked and looked at her as if she was stupid. -You got better at hiding and being quiet, but not enough to fool me.

-I'll get there. -She smirked back.

-Nice to know you don't feel sorry, ashamed or have any intention of stopping doing that kind of shit. -He glared at her. -How much have you heard?

Belle told him everything and he nodded, satisfied with her honesty. He pulled her to an embrace and kissed her temple.

-Take your necklace and keep it somewhere safe. I don't want you to wear it anymore, please. I had no idea it was that valuable.

Belle nodded, taking the necklace and trying to remember when she had taken the earrings and why she hadn't remembered to take the necklace with them.

-I have to work now. There's a lot of reports for me to read about your college mates who were arrested. Speaking of that, has Carter ever talked about his ex to you?

-No, Carter is the type of person who avoids talking about people behind their backs… I don't think he'd talk about an ex, unless he had a good reason for that. -She shook her head and he creased his eyebrows. -Besides, we don't share personal stuff with each other...

-That's weird, I thought you were friends. He called you a bunch of times. -He tilted his head with an expression she had never seen before on his face. -Are you lying to me about him, Isabelle?

-No, why would I lie to you about anyone? -She frowned too. Are you being jealous, Ryan? -He called me because he kind of scolded me the last time we met and then I stopped showing up there a few days later. He was worried…

-Did he mistreat you? -She saw his eyes get darker. -Did he hurt you?

-No. He was just upset because I gave Betty an excuse to talk to him, and she caused him trouble. I didn't mean to cause him harm, but he was very upset and told me so. That was all.

-Did he call you names or touch you?

-No. I don't think he ever does those things. -She shook her head. -I wouldn't expect it to be something he'd do.

-Me neither, but his ex is nuts. And cruel. And I'm glad that for some miracle she didn't notice you, because we believe she's in Daniel's inner circle or would get in soon. -He looked down. -Riviera thinks we should let you go back to college. We have people there and since the attack and the arrests, there’s a police routine going on inside the whole campus. I told her I won’t allow you to go back there, but wanted to hear your opinion about it.

-Are you still sending me away? -She gulped to try to swallow down the lump on her throat. He shook his head slightly then lifted one shoulder, as if to add that the answer was temporary. -I feel safer being with you, but I also think it’s pointless to sit and wait for him to get us both in here.

-In other words, you’re saying you’d agree with her if it meant he would get you while I’m away, instead of here, just so he wouldn't get me too. -He scoffed. -And you had the guts to get angry at me for convincing Doctor Fontaine that you have zero sense of self preservation.

-That’s not what I said… I just think that if he really knew where to find me, he’d come here, and you’d be at risk along with me. -She tried to see it through his point of view, just to check if she was really being unreasonable. -I’d prefer to be safe. But I think if she suggested this, it’s because she believes I’ll be safe there too, even though I'm still a bit afraid.

Ryan nodded and turned to leave the room.

-Why did you ask my opinion? -She murmured.

-To know if I’m making the right decisions. -He leaned on the doorway. -I’ve found out I’m not as competent to plan things up when I can’t be totally logical about it. But you are the worst person ever when it comes to putting your safety first. I wanted to know if I was being overprotective and Riviera was right. She’s obviously not, since even you can see how dangerous it would be to you.

She narrowed her eyes and he winked at her before leaving the room.

Betty visited her again, and this time Ryan just paused on his way to the kitchen and tilted his head with a slight crease between his eyebrows.

-Good evening, Mr. Herrera. -She said softly while she put her glass of orange juice down.

-What is she doing here again? -He ignored her and turned to Belle.

-I'm helping her plan a party. -Belle murmured, clearly uncomfortable with his lack of manners.

-I'm sure you were her best option. You have so much experience with party planning… It's gonna be the event of the year. -He sighed with a mocking smirk. -Come to the kitchen, I want to talk with you.

Belle pressed her lips and followed him, apologizing to Betty before getting up.

-It's a beneficent event. They are fostering pets and…

-I don't give a fuck. -He cut her. -This girl means trouble. Stay away from her before she drags you into some drama, ok?

-She's actually ok… She is a bit sensitive, but if you don't give her reasons to believe you're against her, she's nice. -Belle looked away and he huffed. -Besides, what could she do against me?

Ryan paused and thought about it.

-Lie about you….

-To whom? -She crossed her arms and leaned against the wall. -I'm stuck here, the only three people I'm having contact with are you, her and Noah!

Ryan paused, creasing his eyebrows, then nodded to himself.

-You're damn right… Go on, what bad could come of it?

Belle stared at him, not getting his intentions or the meaning of his victorious air. He chugged his glass of water and strode out of the kitchen with a knowing smile.

Betty came around almost everyday and even stayed for dinner on one occasion. Ryan ignored her presence but avoided talking with Belle about anything that could provide the girl information about them. Belle wondered when the girl found time to study, but didn't feel comfortable enough to ask her about it.

One day Belle was helping her with the designs for the flyers, when Noah knocked on the door.

-Hello, beautiful. -He smiled. Belle heard something being dropped behind her and they both turned to see Betty retrieving her cell phone with a grimace.

-Did it break? -Belle grimace too.

-Yes. -Betty bit her lower lip, but shrugged. -I'll ask my father to get me another one. Do you wanna come along to the mall tonight to help me pick one?

Belle made an effort not to roll her eyes and turned back to Noah, but he wasn't there anymore.

-I need to use my phone. -Belle announced as soon as Ryan sat at the table.

Betty had gone home about half an hour after the awkward situation, and Noah hadn't come back.

-What for? -Ryan didn't look up and served the food, first to her then to himself.

-To text Noah. -She tried to ignore the irritation that arose from having to account for the use of her own cell phone to him, but couldn't hide it in her voice. When he shook his head, it turned into anger. -I'm not asking for your permission, I'm just informing you.

-And I'm informing you that you won't. It's enough that you keep meeting him here, don't stir him up by texting him. -He creased his forehead and started to eat, making it clear that he wouldn't discuss the subject anymore.

-I'm not a child, stop trying to control me. I need to talk to him. The other option is for me to go to his house…

-No. You won't go to his house, don't force me to lock you up. -His tone grew more emphatic. -I'm not trying to control you, I'm just asking you to think before you decide to make something stupid.

-Why do you even care? You'll send me away anyway, you won't be there to keep me in a cage anymore! -She raised her voice and he frowned. -Let me at least make sure I won't hurt my friends while I still have them!

He stared at her in disbelief. She stared back with an outraged frown.

-Do you think that's what I'm doing? Keeping you inside a cage? -His voice was low, but he looked like he wanted to shout. -Is that how you feel?

-You never let me make my own decisions, you're always complaining or criticizing everything I do. -She tried to hold her ground while he narrowed his eyes. -And yes, you restrain me, as if I were a child. You think I'm too stupid to make simple decisions like this one: I'll call my friend, because I believe we need to talk.

Ryan let out a grunt and turned his attention to his meal. After a couple of minutes, she too decided to eat. The food was lukewarm. When he finished, he got up without excusing himself and leaned forward, looking straight into her eyes.

-From now on, I'm not intervening in your decisions, unless you're in real danger. If something happens to us, it's all on you. -He said in a tone that made the hair in her forearms stand up. -I'll be in my study in case you want to apologize and ask to have my overzealous protection back.

Belle watched as he strode to his study and banged the door shut. After clearing the table, she thought about their argument for a long time, but didn't think she was completely wrong.

She texted Noah, then decided to keep the phone. Ryan had said she could make her own decisions, so she was deciding she wanted to have her cell phone with her, just in case some of her friends decided to chat with her.

She checked Carter’s messages and was upset to find out he had tried to set lunch with her to say goodbye a couple of times. He was moving to California to attend Business School. He had been surprised by the admittance letter five days after their small argument, and he had tried to contact her to share the news, but couldn't reach her. Since his classes would start in the middle of September, his parents had decided to help him move to his new apartment and he didn't expect to meet her ever again.

Belle stared at the screen and tried not to resent Ryan for not telling her anything about it, since he had asked about Carter not long ago. She immediately wrote a message, apologizing for her absence, then congratulated him and wished him success.

There were messages from Mia and Noah too. Mia hadn't insisted too much, but showed signs of worry about her prolonged absence. Noah had acted the extreme opposite, calling dozens of times and sending her tons of messages, some showing exaggerated worry, some with angry rants and some with sad remarks about how much he missed her.

Ryan had sent him a single voice message, the night before they went after him at the bar: “Can't you shut the fuck up for a second, you whiny little cunt? You're fucking annoying. She's busy and doesn't have time for you now. Get a life and leave her alone, for God sake!”

By the messages following she guessed Noah had knocked on their door on the same night and Ryan had ignored him, then, the day after, Ryan had answered the door only to tell him she didn't want to see him, but Noah sent a message saying he didn't believe it and would find a way of talking to her.

Her temper boiled. He had absolutely no right to speak on her behalf without her knowledge.

Belle took a deep breath and sent a message to Noah, asking if he was fine and why he had walked away. The message was read, but there was no answer.

Betty came back two days later with a printed version of their art. Belle didn't spare compliments about the quality of the work and she could tell it had been very expensive. When she pointed it out, Betty just shrugged and told her it was her father's money, and that he didn't really care about how much she spent on her project as long as it didn't bring him any trouble or unwanted attention.

The girl opened herself a bit about her relationship with her parents. Her mother, Mary Jane, was very unhappy with her marriage but bore it for the sake of her children, Betty's brother, who was almost twice her age and worked in her father's import export trading company that he was supposed to inherit, and herself. Her mother was well aware of her father's numerous affairs and she herself had a long term relationship with one of their bodyguards and one of Betty's former babysitters.

When Belle didn't give any signs of prejudice about her mother being bisexual and both her parents having sexual partners outside marriage, Betty felt comfortable to reveal other details about her own life, like the fact that she had been harassed by their philosophy teatcher when she was underaged and didn't tell on him for fear of getting bad grades as consequence.

Ryan showed up with the excuse of making coffee exactly when Belle started to ask a lot of questions about it and was about to try to persuade the girl into denouncing it. He didn't say anything, but she knew he had been listening to every word they said and the look he gave her silently warned her not to get involved in other people’s problems, especially with someone as unstable as Betty.

Belle didn't want to, but had to force herself into changing the subject when a voice inside her head reminded her about the possibility of it all being just a lie. They chatted a bit more and then Betty finally started to talk about Noah.

Belle was surprised to find out they had practically dated for more than a year, before the incident at the party. Noah had kissed her the same way he had done to Belle at the night of the bar, suddenly leaning over her and pressing his lips against her without warning or permission. By the time, Betty had a crush on his half brother, Aaron, and had felt confused about Noah's move, but didn't push him away. Instead, she decided to make out with him a few times in front of Aaron in hopes of sparking some jealousy and earning his attention. Aside from that, though, she had made him swear he would keep their romance secret, and Noah pretended pretty well not to feel anything for her in front of others.

After a couple of weeks of daily love declarations from him, though, she grew feelings for him too, and they started to see each other and go out on dates more often. He had never asked her to be his girlfriend and that frustrated her to the point she felt used. When she told him she wanted to break up after eight or nine months, he got extremely angry, and she realized for the first time that his issues when dealing with his emotions could be a real problem.

-And then I started dating this guy, Jimmy, you probably know him, he's friends with Carter, he's on the football team too… Oh, whatever, you have to have noticed him, he's like, so hot… -She rolled her eyes when Belle showed some discomfort about confirming she knew him. -But he’s a dick. And he said we did things we didn't, and a bunch of other lies about me, and Noah got really mad… Like, really mad. And they started a fight in the middle of the literature hall, and I was telling him to stop, but he kept punching Jimmy's face and there was a lot of blood…

Betty stopped talking and put a hand to her mouth.

-I get really sick when I see blood, like, other people’s blood, people I care about, you know? And, oh my God, he was beating Jimmy and he couldn't even react because it was like an animal thing, see? -She grimaced and looked at Belle with a disgusted face. -So I tried to hold his arm with mines like this, you know? But then he pushed me and punched me…

Belle was out of words. For a moment she just stared at the blond girl in astonishment.

-He… Punched you? With his fist? -Betty nodded vigorously and Belle tilted her head. -To hurt you? And not by accident, he really turned and punched you?

-Yeah… I fell hard on my back, people got really worried, it took like a long time to catch my breath. -Betty chewed on the inside of her cheek, apparently only now noticing how bad it sounded. -But he was just angry, I think he didn't think…

-That's not an excuse. I mean, there's no excuse for him beating Jimmy bloody either, but if I recall it right, Jimmy at least is bigger than him. -Belle creased her eyebrows. -And he's a jerk. Carter told me he's not a nice person, that he stores girl's nudes and shares them with other guys. Still, that doesn't justify his attitude. And beating you, that should have never even crossed his mind.

-He was mad at me too, for…

-There's no excuse, Betty. -Belle was getting angry. She suddenly wanted to talk to Noah, but just to confront him about it, to hear his version of the story. -He shouldn't have done that.

-I provoked him. -Betty tried to explain. -I kind of liked that he felt jealous, I don't know why, I just…

-There's no excuse, Betty. Don't blame yourself. He could have used words to hurt you, which wouldn't be nice either, but hurting you physically, that's unacceptable. Would you think it was right if it had been your best friend in your place?

Betty thought about it, then shook her head, but Belle didn't believe she really thought it would be wrong. She opened her mouth to explain about how dangerous it could be to normalize any type of aggression, but Ryan stepped in front of them and cleared his throat.

-Belle, your therapy session will soon start. You should rest a bit. -He ignored her frown and turned to Betty. -And you should go now.

Betty nodded, took her things and went away. Ryan stared at Belle as if he wanted to say something, then shook his head and turned his back to go back to his study.

-Ryan, what do you know about it? What really happened? -She murmured.

Ryan looked up and took a deep breath, then exhaled with a grunt and turned to face her.

-She cheated on the boy, he got pissed and exposed her, shouted out loud a bunch of shit about her, she tried to run away, he restrained her, Noah jumped on him and punched him until he passed out. -He said in a monotonous tone. -In the police report they said they believed the guy passed out as soon as he hit the floor, because he hit his head hard. But the witnesses said he was still awake when Betty intervened.

Belle still couldn't believe Noah could beat someone bloody. She shook her head slightly and gulped before asking.

-But what about what Betty said, that he punched her…

-She didn't file a complaint.

-Ok, but did he hit her?

-There's no official report about it. Even if there was, his father obviously has the local police in the palm of his hand. -Ryan crossed his arms and gave her a knowing look. -Every charge was dismissed when James’ parents told the authorities their son had started the fight and that they didn’t want them to go on with the investigations. The university too had to back away after both his father and Anthony threatened to sue them.

Belle shivered and looked down. All of this sounded absurd and unfair. How could people just let bad things happen over and over again without anyone really fighting till the end for justice?

-But if you want to know what people said about it, yes, he punched her in her stomach. -He shrugged. -But there's no proof. Aside from the witnesses words, she herself denied the aggression and never filed a complaint, even when she tried to screw him up with the false raping report.

Belle nodded. She still couldn't believe Noah would intentionally punch the skinny girl.

-Do you think he did it on purpose? -She murmured.

-Yes. -He sighed. -I didn't tell you anything because I was afraid you'd confront him and he would get aggressive toward you. Will you stop talking to him?

Belle was confused. She hadn't expected Noah to really be an aggressor, although Mia had already warned her about it.

-Are you lying to me? -Ryan shook his head and she nodded. -Since when did you know about it?

-Since the day after I went to get you at that party. When I heard he was doing drugs, I had to know how much of a threat he could be to us. I had to dig really deep to get to this story… -He ran his fingers through his hair. -Are you gonna stop seeing him?

-But he said… He told me he didn't hurt people. He said he wasn't like his father… -She looked down.

-He also swore on his life he'd never make another advance on you. -He sighed and her cheeks burned when she remembered the kiss. She was glad Ryan didn't know about it, since she believed he would break the boy's jaw if he did.

Belle thought about it. That explained why he had become so aggressive toward Noah after that party and started to be more emphatic about her getting away from him. Her head was throbbing. She had always thought that men that beat women had it written all over their faces and imprinted in their attitudes. Noah didn't fit her expectations for an abuser.

-Are you finally gonna stop talking to him? -Ryan wouldn't let go until he had an answer.

-Probably. But first I want to hear his version about it.

-Of course you do! Why not? -He shrugged and lifted one eyebrow with a sarcastic smile. -It's not like you're gonna force him to remember something that supposedly made him try to kill himself a couple of years ago, go on. What bad could come of it?

Belle grimaced and looked down.

-Are you still gonna do it? I'm not intervening, really, if you want to, count me in. I'll even walk you to his house. -His sarcastic tone made her want to scream. -Should I go and fetch an umbrella?

-Fuck you. -She narrowed her eyes, her cheeks burning.

-You're already doing it for me and it's awesome every time. -He smirked and she threw a pillow at him. -I shouldn't have told you anything at all. But I couldn't hold myself, because I knew it was certain that you'd get very hurt in the end. Keep your distance from those two, Belle. Nothing good can come from those friendships.

Belle didn't answer, just looked away until he gave up and left her alone.

novelenthusiast1717, TZia and imeren like this.
  8. TZia

TZia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well I guess Belle is staying for now. I fear that Ryan is going to pull the same BS to try to distance himself from Belle, especially now that he is starting to acknowledge that he is in love with her.
    Belle should really punch Destiny in the face. She may be small but she could probably mop up the floor with that witch:blob_catflip::blob_thor::blobpitch:

novelenthusiast1717, imeren and GiBro like this.
  9. GiBro

GiBro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I guess it would be a fair fight :blobpeek: but yeah, it would be fun to write it :blobjoy:

No rant this time, then? :blobawkward:

novelenthusiast1717, TZia and imeren like this.
  10. TZia

TZia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe not so much of a rant but I do have a few questions. I’ll post these later:blob_grin:

novelenthusiast1717, imeren and GiBro like this.
  11. TZia

TZia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Mini-rant and thoughts on the last few chapters:

It was clear that Ryan was not going to hand over Belle to Denovan, but I really feel for Belle, she is left hanging not knowing if she will stay with Ryan or if this is just a temporary reprieve until he can arrange for another Marshal. Ryan also hasn’t given any indication of whether he plans to pursue his original plan and I get the feeling that he is trying to avoid the “L” moment, just by the way he is rationalizing the panic that he felt and trying to put distance between himself and Belle. What’s it going to take- something really horrible to happen for him to finally accept that he loves her and wants to be with her no matter what? She has already told him to make up his mind about what he really wants or to stop confusing her. I agree with Belle, he needs to stop this nonsense or he can really end up pissing her off. Also he is becoming too overprotective of her, it reminds me of Riftan in UTOT where he tried to keep Maxi locked away in the castle to keep her from harm. This could prove to be very stifling for Belle and I’m afraid that she may end up resenting him.

Regarding Noah, I can’t help but think that the apple doesn’t fall too far from the tree, he gets physically abusive with people, especially when he is angry and when he loses control of his anger he rationalizes this as the victim drove him to that behaviour. Definitely a pattern here, not only is he BPD, but also abusive. It’s ironic that he seems to be so concerned with Ryan abusing Belle. However for someone who doesn’t know the full situation and sees that Ryan confiscates Belle’s phone, controls who she can see and speak too and prevents her from leaving the house, these can all be signals of an abuser, so I can’t really blame Noah here.

And now some questions for our author:
    1. Regarding Destiny, from what I understand she was hired by Daniel to get information on Anthony who apparently is working with Daniel in human trafficking of girls that were kidnapped. However she seems to leave the house quite often for those undercover jobs with Ryan and Noah has been following her. Is Anthony aware of this or does she do this only when Anthony is out of town? What about Noah, he knows that she sneaks out with Ryan, will he tell his father?

2. Ryan wants to hire Destiny to discredit Denovan and his cousin so he and Belle can be moved back to New York. I don’t quite understand why he would want to move back to New York with Daniel out loose. Is it because he feels it’s just a matter of time before they get Daniel or is he running out of options and feels that he can fight better on home turf?

3. What happened to Corey? Did they ever confirm that he was the insider that was working with Daniel? If this is the case then it’s pretty much game over since he will undoubtedly tell Daniel that Ryan is alive and they are both under WPP.

4. What’s up with Betty and why is she trying to get close to Belle all of s sudden? I just don’t trust her, she has told too many lies and I don’t think that Belle should let her guard down.
    Really? Come on:blobjoy:

Last edited: Apr 25, 2022
    novelenthusiast1717, GiBro and imeren like this.
  12. GiBro

GiBro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Dear readers,

I hate to disappoint but I've failed in revising tonight's post =\ for that reason, this week we'll have posts tomorrow and on Friday, ok?

I'm still behind schedule anyway, so I hope you'll understand that I'll probably have to stop posting/delay posts from now on =\

imeren, novelenthusiast1717 and TZia like this.
  13. TZia

TZia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My dear author @GiBro please take your time and don’t feel rushed to post. As a reader, I am so grateful that you have shared this wonderful story with us. Keep up the great work:love::love::love:

imeren, GiBro and novelenthusiast1717 like this.
  14. TZia

TZia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just questions for author @GiBro:

It seems that Ryan had more than his fair share of tragedy and loss in his young adult life:
    1) death of his brother Richard
    2) death of his first love, Louise
    3) death of fiancee Samantha.

We know that he carries the guilt and responsibility for Samantha’s death and it’s been revealed in the book how she dies. Regarding Richard we know that he died in Afghanistan before Ryan could reach him but no other details were given. For Louise, this is intriguing, how did she die and how did Ryan come to know about this? I thought that after he broke up with Louise there was no further contact. He went back to the US and she stayed in France. Was there an attempt at reconciliation? Will there be more about this in Ryan’s POV?

So many questions…..:confusedcatblob::confusedcatblob::confusedcatblob:

15. GiBro

GiBro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I could post the chapters regarding this question (I'm really proud of them, I really think I did a good job at them =P), but it's a HUGE spoiler from his POV. I could post them on the gap I'll leave because of my delay in writing the last chapters of this book, what do you think about it?

16. TZia

TZia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes please :blobnosebleed::blobnosebleed::blobnosebleed:

GiBro and imeren like this.
  17. GiBro

GiBro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 56

After a lot of thought, Belle decided not to talk about Noah's aggression against Betty anymore. She had come to the conclusion she couldn't change what had happened, and that, even if she did manage to convince Betty that it hadn't been her fault and that it couldn't be justified, which she didn't really believe would ever happen, it would probably just make everything worse.

Instead, she took a rare opportunity, when Ryan was talking on the phone and shut his study's door, so they couldn't hear him, to ask for Betty's opinion about Ryan's birthday gift. They kept their voices no louder than whispers. Since she couldn't reveal it was his birthday, she had lied, saying it was their first date anniversary instead. Betty was genuinely attentive and interested in helping.

After a sequence of questions about Ryan’s preferences and personality, she ended up suggesting a very expensive whiskey her father had once bought in one of his travels to Europe. Belle didn’t really want to give him a bottle of alcohol. It frustrated her that she couldn’t come up with something as thoughtful as the music player or the card or the island. How could he be so much better in gifting, when she was the one who loved him more than anything, and he apparently didn’t even mind about being apart from her forever?

-I really didn’t want to give him a beverage… -Belle pouted. -But I too can’t think about anything else.

-Isn’t there something else he likes? Like… A hobby? -Betty whispered.

-Drawing and… Guns… -Belle grimaced, then shook her head. -I’ll try to come up with something else. Anyway, can you get me the label of that whiskey, just so I can look for it?

Betty nodded vigorously, clearly excited about being helpful. Ryan opened his door and they resumed their work on planning the budget for the party.

The next morning Ryan called her to his study while she was watching the news.

-Hey… -She murmured, eyeing him with apprehension. It had been a while since he had asked for her help to translate some message from Daniel. Lucas had built a software to solve it, and it had apparently worked pretty well. -Did something happen?

-No, I was just curious about something Lucas asked me about… Why are you Googling whiskey brands?

Belle blushed from head to toes. She hadn’t thought about the possibility of him checking her phone. She felt glad she hadn’t looked for the drawing kit she had considered buying for him.

-Betty came to plan the party… She commented about that special whiskey and…

-Yeah, I saw that one, it’s pretty expensive, and certainly too much for that party. Most of those kids are under twenty one, Belle, please don’t encourage Betty to do this kind of shit. -He sighed. -And for God sake, don't spend a bottle like that with potheads and junkies who won't even know how to appreciate it.

-Do you know that brand? -She pressed her lips, afraid of giving away her intentions.

-Yeah, I had it in France a long time ago. Forty years, single malt... -His eyes were distant as he recalled it. -I could say it was the best I’ve ever tasted, but I don’t think it’s easy to get your hands on a bottle, even if you’re willing to spend more than twenty grand on one.

Belle nodded. She couldn’t find a single place that had the bottle for delivery in Florida.

-Betty’s father had one… -She eyed him to check his reaction.

-He’s a lucky bastard. And that explains Betty’s interest in it… She probably tasted it. But, as I said, don’t encourage her shit, ok? -He shook his head. -Really, Belle, don’t offer money to buy alcohol for this party and don’t help her burn her father’s money either.

Belle nodded and took the opportunity to check the documents that were spread over his table. He noticed her interest and smirked.

-You can’t control yourself at all... -He shook his head reproachingly and pulled her by her hand to offer her to sit in his lap. -We’re preparing to monitor Destiny’s transfer. We found out they are gonna X-ray her body, so the plan of implanting a tracking device is off the table… Simon came up with an elaborate idea to track her via drones and satellite, but we’re not sure if it will be enough. I’m reading his report about the possible scenarios to make sure there’s no gaps that could put her life in danger unnecessarily.

Belle nodded and embraced his neck, kissing his cheek and leaning her forehead there.

-What about Daniel, did he do anything else?

-We believe he’s behind dozens of murders of policemen. But he stopped claiming them, so now we don’t know if it's a reflection of his rampage back in the beginning of the year, encouraging rebels, or if he’s just avoiding bringing the focus to himself. -His monotonous tone indicated the subject frustrated him a lot. -We caught some of the assholes, but they all say they acted on their own.

-I’m so sorry for all that… -She felt very responsible for each death Daniel caused. -I wish I had seen how evil he was before all this happened.

-Don’t blame yourself. I had his head at the tip of my gun and hesitated. -He murmured. -We couldn’t know.

She nodded and hugged him tight. He answered immediately with a similar grip.

-Fuck, I hope Destiny manages to deal with Denovan before she leaves. -His voice was restrained, as if he wanted to scream. -I really don’t want you to be gone, but I’m worried about you being so vulnerable here, Belle.

-I won’t go anywhere without you. -She tried to back away from him but he didn’t let her.

Ryan didn't answer, but she knew he was just holding his tongue to avoid a fight.

-Noah texted me today. He's coming for lunch. Is that ok for you? -She murmured.

-Since when do you care? -He loosened his grip and let her move her upper body away from him, locking his eyes on the screen. -I told you, I won't intervene anymore.

-I just don't want to upset you… -She tried to ignore the annoyance she felt with his condescending tone.

-That's not true. If you didn't want to upset me, you'd have let that asshole take his merry way to darkness and vanish right after that party or at least after he treated you like shit. -He sighed. -That would've made me happy on top of not upsetting me, but no, you decided to adopt the stupidest Golden Retriever in a human body ever.

-Golden Retriever? -She couldn't help but laugh. At least it was a bit better than Mr. Goofy. -I like Golden Retrievers, Chloe had one.

-Yeah, that explains why you pat the head of this one so often. -He rolled his eyes. -That doesn't explain, though, why you keep forgiving his shit. I thought you were disappointed in him, because of what he did to Betty. I really believed we were finally free of him.

-I'm still not sure how I feel about that. But I know he's confused about Betty coming here, I want to explain to him that it's temporary.

-It's not… You've adopted another bitch. -He sighed then grimaced when he saw her frown. -Another dog, but a girl dog this time. Jesus, I never know how you'll react to shit I say.

-Don't call women names and you're halfway not getting me upset. -She got up from his lap with a glare. -You don't have to be sexist to criticize one woman.

-Sometimes you're a bit radical. Why is it ok to call a man a dog and it's somehow more offensive to call a woman a bitch? -She stared at him intently and concluded he wasn't being sarcastic. He really couldn't tell the difference.

-Ok, then. Do you think you'd get as angry if Noah called you a mad dog as you would if he called me a mad bitch? -She sighed, hoping this would be enough to make him see the difference.

His face stiffened and he nodded.

-I got what you mean. Sorry. I just don't see her as I see you, that's all.

-Doesn't justify it. It's still offensive. -She shook her head.

-Is it too offensive that I'll keep seeing her as a rickety Akita? -He lifted one shoulder and pressed his lips to suppress a cynical smile.

-Whatever, Ryan… -She huffed, finally giving up. -Noah is coming for lunch, ok? Try not to get too upset, I just want to talk with him.

Ryan nodded and watched her get out, but as soon as she closed the door she could swear she had heard him curse.

When Noah came in, Ryan was locked in his study having an argument with someone on the phone. Belle took the opportunity to ask the boy to lend her his cell phone. When he asked why, she led him to the kitchen and whispered that she wanted to look for a wedding anniversary gift for Ryan, but that she was afraid he would find out about it because of the algorithms. She did it for two reasons: first because she hoped this would be enough to break the ice between them, and secondly because that had been the solution she had come to, so that Lucas or Ryan himself wouldn't blow her surprise.

Noah seemed to be a bit cheered up by the idea of being able to help her with something she seemed excited to do, but his mood dropped as soon as she explained it was a gift for Ryan. She couldn't find a store that had the whiskey to deliver, though, so she had to settle with the drawing kit. Betty had told her she could send the gifts to her house and the maid would hand it to her when she was sure Ryan wouldn't notice it. This information was enough to bury any signs of happiness left in Noah's face.

Ryan joined them for lunch, eyeing Noah as if he was a pile of shit. The boy ate in silence for a long time, answering her sporadic attempts to start a conversation with one worded grunts.

-Alright. -Ryan sighed, putting down his knife and fork. -Why did you come here? If you're gonna give her the cold shoulder you could've done that from your house.

Belle narrowed her eyes and gave him a look that said “Good thing you wouldn’t intervene anymore, right?”, but he ignored her and leaned on his elbows.

-Either you say what you want to or leave already and don't come back. -His voice lowered and she felt the need to hold his arm. -And I’m warning you: don't you dare mistreat her, or you’ll understand what I meant when I told you I didn't punch you hard that night. You’re gonna wake up in a hospital, if you do.

-Ryan! -Belle shot him the most furious glare she managed to, but he raised his eyebrows, seeming to be half bored, half amused with her attempt to intimidate him. -What happened with not intervening anymore?

-It doesn’t apply in this situation, this is between me and the boy, doesn’t have anything to do with you making mistakes or taking stupid decisions. -He dismissed her scolding with a flick of his hand.

-I’m not gonna mistreat her, but I’m not afraid of you. -Noah murmured. -Belle… What was Betty doing here? Were you talking about me?

-We did talk about you… But she was here just to plan a beneficent party. -She tried to keep her voice as calm and friendly as possible.

-And what did she talk about me? She lies, Belle, she makes things up. -Belle noticed he was growing anxious and agitated with every word. -I'm afraid that she might try to push you away from me.

Ryan was watching Noah's trembling hands as the boy fidgeted with the knife and fork. Belle took a deep breath and decided to lie.

-She just told me you were worried because I'm not going to college anymore… -She saw Ryan raise his eyebrows slightly, seeming surprised that she wouldn't confront him about the aggression or tell him about Betty's intention to regain his trust. -She also told me Carter looked for you, for the same reason.

-Oh, sorry for giving him your number, by the way… He insisted a lot and I didn't want him to think I was being jealous… People already think we are… -He blushed and his eyes darted toward Ryan, then quickly dropped to his food. -I mean, I didn't want him to think I was treating you as my property or something.

-People think you what? -Ryan sneered, eyeing the boy with a smug face.

-Nothing. -Noah shook his head, but his shoulders dropped when Ryan leaned forward and stared at him as if he was about to pin his hand to the table with his knife. -They think Belle and I have something… It might be my fault, because I always try to defend her when someone says something to demean her and… And I kind of know her well, they think it's awkward, that's all.

-Demean me? Do people say bad things about me? -Belle was surprised. Most students treated her very kindly and practically all the teachers would often compliment her for her behavior. She didn't know she had haters. -What do they say?

Noah grimaced and his discomfort was evident in every move.

-They don't exactly say bad things… They just think you're weird. It's the bad part of being the new girl, Belle, it's not like there's something wrong with you. -He sighed and for a moment it looked like he expected Ryan to help him. -They say you're kind of prude, because you don't go to parties, don't respond to flirting, don't do drugs or drink… They also think you're too nice to be true, sometimes they think you're faking… In the end, they are all morons who don't know a thing about you.

-Even then, are you telling me they came to the conclusion you two have a romance, out of nowhere? -Ryan leaned back on his chair and scoffed when Noah nodded vigorously. -So the fact that you told them she's your soulmate and that you dreamed about her one week before we moved here has nothing to do with their conclusion? Or the fact that you kissed her by force and then told JP, the gossiping pothead, that you felt a connection with her and that you believe she secretly loves you, didn't add up to it, not a bit?

Noah's face shifted from pale to red to purple in seconds as Ryan's monotonous tone dismantled any signs of confidence that the boy could have left. Belle's face, too, grew red, and she felt her eyes burning, as she tried to look into Ryan's eyes and read his emotions, but his face was impassive.

-Don't worry, I believe she passed on my message pretty well with her knee. I'm sure she can fend for herself about this, she doesn't need a man to do the job for her. -He smirked when he saw the boy lean back as if those few inches were enough to keep Ryan away from him. -Still, I've been waiting for the day I'd have the opportunity to let her know what kind of douchebag you really are. Thank you.

The silence that followed was embarrassing. Belle could hear the boy gulp before he finally gathered enough courage to speak.

-I told him not to tell anyone. And I'm sorry for the kiss, I already told her, and I'd like to apologize to you, too, I was wrong.

Ryan just chuckled and looked at Belle. She was pressing her lips tightly.

-Noah, I think you should go. -She murmured after a while.

-Belle, I'm really sorry, I was confused… -Noah pleaded. -You're my best friend, please, don't let this torn us apart.

-Friends don't do those things against each other, Noah. -She shook her head and looked down. -That's not how friendship works.

Belle was very disappointed with him. Also, she wondered if Mia knew about it and couldn't think of any acceptable reason why she hadn't texted her to warn her.

-There's one thing I'd like to know before you leave… I expect you to be honest about it… -Belle murmured and Ryan shot her a warning glare, but she ignored him. -There was something Angel told me once… She told me that you told her we did things… That we had… Did you tell her we had some intimacy we don't really have?

Noah shook his head. Belle looked at Ryan, but he shrugged.

-Noah, are you lying to me?

-No, Belinda, I swear, I never told Angel anything about my sexual or romantic experiences, she just liked to pretend she was part of my personal life. -His face turned purple. -She almost got me in trouble because of that, because she spread a stupid gossips about Vanessa, the girl that lived here last year for a week or so… The police came after me, thinking I had had sex with her, just because of Angel's lies. They thought I had been with her on the night of her disappearance.

-And let me guess, you were clinging to her like you do to Belle, until she disappeared… -Ryan sighed.

-No, she wasn't my type… Of friend. -He quickly corrected, blushing. -She was the type of girl my half-brother usually gets. Never even talked to me.

Ryan's face lit up, although Belle couldn't understand why. His eyes narrowed and he smirked.

-Did he? -When Noah just creased his eyebrows with a puzzled expression he glared at him. -Did he get her?

-Not in the way you're thinking. -Noah shook his head. His eyes darted to Belle and she could tell he felt uneasy talking about it in front of her. -I think he took her to bed, but he didn't kidnap her, if that's what you're thinking…

-He has a history. It would make sense, if he was needing money and your father offered him the job… -Ryan observed the boy's expression as realization spread through his face. -I don't even know how I didn't come to this conclusion before… But you should have, a long time ago. You're way more stupid than I thought.

Noah just shook his head and his green eyes brimmed.

-He didn't. -He averted his eyes and got up.

-Either you’re stupid, or you’re protecting him again. I knew it hadn’t been your father, he wouldn’t bring this kind of attention to his own lair. But your brother doesn’t really plan things through, does he? He doesn’t think about the consequences before he acts…

-I should go. I'm sorry, Belle, I really am. -His eyes were brimming and his hands were trembling. -Please, tell me you won't stop being my friend just because of this… Please, I really need you…

-I don't know, Noah, you really shouldn't go around saying those things. -Belle didn't look at him. She wanted to confront him for beating Betty, more than ever, but was afraid of what might happen to him after all that stressful situation. -I need time to think.

Ryan rolled his eyes and got up too, then walked Noah to the door. They exchanged two or three phrases, but Belle couldn't hear a word.

When the dark eyes took her in after he closed the door, Belle felt like crying.

-How did you know?

-About the kiss? -He tilted his head. -I have eyes all around here, since that day you ran away. Good job, by the way, but next time you hit a guy's balls, run right away, don't wait to check if he'll react. He could have hurt you.

Belle felt uncomfortable. She knew she didn't have any right to feel offended, since she had been the one who had hidden things from him, but knowing he knew about it, and didn't even care, made her chest hurt.

-Why didn't you tell me you knew? -She blinked the tears away.

-Why didn't you tell me it happened? I thought you were ashamed. What good would come from talking about it? -He shrugged. -I just wanted to humiliate him a bit more, sorry if by doing it in front of you I've made you feel guilty.

Belle just shook her head. She didn't feel guilty, but still felt like she should have told him right away. She also felt ashamed and weak for letting it happen, even though she couldn't think of a way she could've stopped Noah from doing it.

-Don't worry about it, Belle. I'm not upset and you shouldn't be either. -Ryan shrugged. -Just make sure not to give him another opportunity to do it again, or worse.

Belle nodded, then something prickled inside her head.

-Ryan… Are you this calm because of Diana?

-Because of whom? -His eyes narrowed and Belle gulped. Ryan put both hands inside his pocket and clenched his jaw. -Where did you get this name from, Belle?

Belle shrugged, but knew he wouldn't let it go.

-I heard you calling Destiny like that… -She murmured, feeling her whole face burn. -But don't change the subject, is it because of her?

-You heard me calling her like that… That's bullshit, unless you've been spying on me. -He shook his head. -What did you do, Isabelle?

-I… I just heard you calling her Diana. Also, I read that name on that report you sent about her. -Ryan sighed and looked up.

She knew he was trying to guess when she could have eavesdropped on him to hear him calling her Diana. His eyes went down, straight into hers, but he kept his head up and huffed.

They stared at each other for some seconds, his face unreadable.

-It's something that really frustrates me… To know that you don't even try to deserve my trust. -He muttered very low, but audibly through the heavy silence. -What bothers me even more is that I can't stop trusting you even with all that. I'm afraid one day you're gonna go too far and you’re gonna shatter that trust so, so bad, it won’t mend, no matter what. Please, stop before you do.

Belle just stared at him. He hadn't answered her question. When he started to walk away she urgently let her thoughts out.

-You're always calling me out about trust, but you are the one who's hiding things from me! -She flinched when he turned to face her, but quickly recovered her composure and went on. -Domenico, Diana, Andrews, you're always hiding something about them. There's always a secret. There's always something you don't want or “can't” tell me. So, yes, sometimes I can't just sit and hope you'll tell me things, sometimes I need to know. You know why? Because I love you and I want to be part of your life, even though you don't even care about cutting me out of it!

Ryan opened his mouth to answer, but instead let out a grunt of annoyance and a curse, then gave his back to her and headed for the gym. Belle thought about going after him and forcing him to say whatever he was holding back, even though she knew it would hurt her, but didn't want to fight with him anymore. Instead, she went to her room and texted Betty, to set a meeting. She needed to warn her about Ryan's gift, so they could set the logistics.

A few days later, Betty was sitting by the island, talking nonstop about a boy she had a crush on, while Belle baked a cake. She was testing recipes, trying to come up to a perfect menu for Ryan's birthday.

Although she felt a bit guilty about ghosting Noah, she still hadn't been able to answer his dozens of messages, that went up and down from apologies to harsh complaints. The last ones, though, were requests for a meeting to discuss something of her own interest. She couldn't help but feel very curious about what he could be talking about, but hadn't decided yet if the right thing to do was to give him another chance or to cut laces definitely, as Ryan wanted her to.

When Betty asked her opinion about her reconciliation with Noah, Belle told her she couldn't help her wi0th it, since she wasn't even sure anymore if Noah truly deserved to have her friendship back either.

-Everyone is bad. -Betty murmured and reached out to take the spoon to lick it before Belle put it on the sink to wash. -Like… Everyone is selfish.

-What do you mean? -Belle handed her the bowl too.

-I mean that he's bad, I'm bad, you're bad. We're all bad, but some do what they feel, and some hold back. -The girl smiled when Belle seemed to be out of words. -He didn't think before he hit me. That's all. Oh, I did things to him without thinking, too. We can't take bad things for life, everything that happened is in the past, live the future, Belinda.

Belle frowned and thought about it.

-But he could do it again. -She pointed out, taking the bowl and spoon back and starting to clean up the kitchen.

-He will. And I will do a lot of bad things too. -Betty nodded. -You will too, but you won't admit it because you want to look like you're perfect. We do bad things and it's alright, sometimes you just need to, like, to put it out, you know? The important thing is to do more good than bad… Or not, no one can force you to.

The irritation that the girl's words arose made Belle wonder if they were true. She often judged Ryan for the bad things he did and then did worse things, like lying or spying on him. Maybe Betty was partially right. Maybe she wasn't as empathetic as she thought she was.

-Did you know Noah had been spreading lies about me? Saying he dreamt about me and that we had something? -Belle wanted to know if Betty's opinion wouldn't shake. The girl grimaced and nodded. -Since when have you heard about it?

-Like three or four days after you arrived, JP told us Noah was in love with a new girl in the condo. I was like, oh my God, he never talked to her, that's so stupid… But that day you went to the pool, Noah came back after you left and told us to stay away from you… He said he didn't want us to harm his image for you. -Betty looked away with an annoyed expression.

-From what I heard it happened recently, he told JP we kissed… -Belle sighed. Betty's eyes narrowed.

-We thought JP was tripping… Was it true? Did you kiss him?

-No. It's a lie. -Belle answered immediately. She didn't feel like she was lying. They hadn't kissed. She hadn't kissed him. Noah had forced himself on her and she had immediately backed away, that was all. -Do you think he told that to JP on purpose? So JP would spread it?

-No. I don't know why he made that up… -She gave Belle a suspicious glare, making it clear that she didn't believe Noah was completely lying. -I just think that… Who would he tell if not JP? He doesn't have anyone.

Belle felt a sting in her chest and nodded. Noah didn't have friends, just JP and herself.

-But if you can't forgive him and accept that he'll do worse in the future, I think you should stop talking to him. -There was something in Betty's tone that made her sound totally different from the shallow girl Belle was used to seeing in her. -Because you keep confusing and giving him hopes. That's wrong.

-I'm not confusing him. And I don’t give anyone any hopes! -Belle frowned. -I love Ryan, he knows that.

-There's no such thing as being friends with someone that wants to be with you like he wants to. You should wait until he, too, has someone, if you want to be his friend. -Her direct tone made Belle flinch before she understood why. Then Betty made it even more clear. -You're in my way.

Belle thought about it, then nodded. She would have to talk frankly with Noah about it, and then they'd have to decide if it was worth trying to carry on their friendship or if he would need her to be away from him in order to help him forget about her and find someone else. She didn't really believe Betty would be that girl, but couldn't find a nice way to tell her that.

When she told Ryan about it, he said all that was just adolescent drama and that she shouldn't worry about it so much. He also pointed out he didn't agree with Betty. Ryan believed that if people just did what they wanted, and there weren't consequences for harm made to others, the world would turn into a jungle.

-It's like I told you, if it hurts you, and the other person doesn't care enough for your pain, you should walk away. -He shrugged. -Of course it doesn't mean that the person can't make an effort to try to have a second chance and that's your decision to grant it or not, but, really, Belle, how many chances are you gonna give to that asshole?

Still, there they were again. After a heated discussion, Belle had convinced Ryan to let her leave the house, as long as she sat with Noah at a bench at the garden, where he could see her. There was a gap at the curtains for the first time since they moved there, allowing her to see a tiny portion of his desk and his torso.

She looked back at Noah when he cleared his throat.

-I… About the gift to your husband, I mean, I've checked the label of the whiskey you were looking for and… I don't know if we ever talked about it, but Aaron works at a tobacco and liquor store… -Belle tilted her head when she understood where he was heading with that talk. -I mean, it's a big store and they import bottles, so… I asked him if he could get it for me. He said he'll try. You might have to pay part of it in advance, but if he manages to, I'll let you know.

-Hm… Thank you, Noah, but I really don't want to owe your half-brother anything… I've found another gift. -She actually didn't want to have anything at all to do with Aaron.

-You wouldn't owe him anything, it's his work. And he'll be more than happy to sell it to you, it's a pretty expensive label. -Noah glared at her. -You're being paranoid now. Sorry.

He quickly apologized and looked down when he realized he had offended her.

-It's ok, I know it sounds like I'm exaggerating, but your half-brother scares me, Noah, I don't want to have to talk with him. -Her cheeks burned and she opened her mouth to change the subject, but Noah cut her.

-You wouldn't have to talk with him, I'd get it for you, you'd just have to transfer the money. -He sighed. -I wouldn't put you in an uncomfortable position and your husband would kill me if I gave Aaron the opportunity to come close to you.

-Oh, I don't know… Well, let me know if he can get it, then. -Belle gave him a small smile just to end it, hoping Aaron wouldn't even try to find it. -Thank you, Noah, but I have something I'd like to talk about with you.

-Right… -He looked down, clearly afraid of what she might say. -What did Betty tell you about me?

-It's about us, I mean, about our friendship, not her. -Belle shook her head. -Although she told me things about you two that I really think you should solve… But it's not my place to talk on her behalf. I want to know exactly why you want to be near me. I want to be your friend, but only friend, nothing more than that. And I don't want you to talk about me to other people, either good or bad things… If you can't see me only as your friend, we have a problem, because it will only hurt both of us.

-I don't know, Belle, it's not like I chose to love you. -He sighed and she jumped on her seat. She hadn't been expecting him to say he loved her. A crush or an obsession was much more likely than love. He noticed her discomfort and added. -Before you say anything, yes, I'm sure I'm in love with you, I thought a lot about it.

-No, you're not, you barely know me. -She frowned. -You only know a small part of me, you can't love me.

-I know everything about you, Belinda, I watch you all the time, every time I can.

-That's obsession, not love, and it's very unhealthy. -She blushed and glanced at the curtains. Her eyes met Ryan's and he looked back at the screen of his notebook but quickly looked up at her again, a small crease forming between his eyebrows. -You don’t know me, Noah…

-I do, I do know you! I know everything about you! -Noah started to fidget and she felt like running away when his smile became almost maniac. -I know you don’t like it when it’s too sunny, and that you hate to put your hair up. I know you don’t like to sit with your back to the door, or to a window, but you don’t like to sit with your face to them, either, because you don’t want people to see you right away. I know you always use your left hand to push your hair back when you’re angry, but I don’t know why. I know you limp a bit on your right leg, but only if you run or walk too much. I know you don’t like to be touched by anyone besides Ryan and Mia. And I know you know I love you, I know you want me to, but are very afraid of admitting it.

-You don't love me, Noah, talk with doctor Fontaine about it and… -She was still trying to process all those things he had just said about her, but her attention was back to the actual problem when he clicked his tongue.

-I already talked a lot about you. -He sharply cut her. -It doesn't matter, anyway, you know you feel something for me too.

-No, Noah, I don't. -She shook her head, feeling her cheeks tingle with shame. -I like you as a friend. I really want you to be happy, and I like talking to you and studying with you, but that's all.

-Why did you kiss me, then? -He frowned.

-I didn't! You did, I… What are you talking about? -She said it louder than she intended to, then took a deep breath and lowered her voice. -Noah, I didn't kiss you back. If that's what you think happened, know that it was a wrong impression, I didn't want you to kiss me, and I don't want you to, now.

She got up as soon as she realized he was staring at her lips intensely.

-Ok… I understand that Ryan is still weighing a lot in your decision… -He looked away when she rolled her eyes with a bit of impatience. -But I'm willing to wait for you, Belle, because even if you don't believe it, I do love you, like I never loved anyone, ever.

-There's no decision to make, Noah, I love Ryan. I'm happy with him and I'm gonna stay with him. -For as long as he wants me to. The bitter words burned in her mind and she bit her lower lip, hoping he wouldn't misunderstand her sadness. -I really don't want to hurt you, Noah, but you have to be reasonable. I never gave you any signs that I wanted to be more than friends with you, did I?

She hoped he would say no, but instead he nodded vigorously and his eyes brimmed.

-Oh, but you did, and you know you did. -He kept nodding. -You can't stay away from me for long, every time you try, you're in an awful shape when I meet you again. And the way you look at me when we are studying, you can't tell me it's not love! You love me, Belinda, you just can't accept it because you want to be faithful to Ryan!

Belle just shook her head, she couldn't believe she was having this insane conversation with him. Then she remembered that Magda had warned her that one of the main signs of Borderline Disorder was a disconnection with reality. She had called it dissociation and that seemed to be the case here. He probably had idealized their relationship to the point he didn't perceive things as they were.

-Noah… Please, talk with doctor Fontaine about this. I never looked at you in any romantic way, you're making this up. And if it's true you saw me in a bad shape after we were apart, it was certainly something else. -She realized she was being too cold and tried to lighten the mood. -I do miss you when we spend less time together, but not more than I miss Mia or Carter, or even JP. You're my friend, that's all. Please, ask doctor Fontaine to help you see the truth…

-I'm not going to therapy anymore. -He murmured.

-What? Why? -She frowned. -Since when?

-It wasn't working. It did help me with Aaron, though, I told Ryan he doesn't have to protect me anymore, Aaron and I are fine now. At least we were, until you decided to become friends with Betty. -He rolled his eyes.

-You shouldn't have stopped. You could look for another professional and resume your treatment… And what does Betty have to do with your relationship with Aaron?

-I only accepted to go because of you, Belinda. I didn't want to go, I knew it would be a waste of time and a humiliation. -He rubbed his eyes with his fists and blinked a few times. -I thought that if you believed I was taking it seriously you'd admit you loved me. Didn’t work, it just pushed you away from me.

Belle pressed her lips firmly, stopping herself from cursing him. She was pissed. He was admitting he had tried to deceive her and was insisting in forcing an uncomfortable situation.

-Noah… I don't love you. And I think you need help. -She sighed. -I really think we should…

Noah took his phone from his pocket and smiled.

-Hey, we've got lucky! Aaron found a bottle to buy. -His smile vanished. -But he knows it's not for me… He wants to know who this is for, so he can decide how much he's gonna add to the price. What a...

-Don't tell him it's for me. -She warned him while he texted. -Tell him you don't need it anymore. I don't want it anymore.

-Too late, sorry. -He grimaced. -But look at the bright side, he said he won't charge you anything more than the original price and importing expenses… He said it's to apologize for scaring you at the party.

-I don't want to have anything to do with your half-brother, Noah, please, cancel it. -Belle shook her head.

-He's trying to be nice, Belle! He never does anything for free, can't you see how ungrateful you're being? He wants to be nice to me, by being nice to you. -He frowned.

-I don't want him to. I don't want to owe him anything, I've already told you. -She shook her head. -Cancel it, or I'll do it for you.

He just stared at her and handed her the phone with an annoyed expression. She snatched the phone from his hand angrily and started to type a message “She said she doesn't want it, thank you, sorry for wasting your time”, but stopped when some messages arrived.

AG 15:22- is she still meeting that slut
    AG 15:22- u shouldve let me deal w her
    AG 15:22- but no u had to play the bafm n stop me
    AG 15:23- would save u from a lot of trouble n now it woudnt be happenin ud hav belle to urself
    AG 15:23- do u want me to take her
    AG 15:23- i could talk to dad it would be good mony

Belle creased her eyebrows and looked up at Noah, who was chewing on the skin beside his thumbnail and looking down.

-What does this mean, Noah? -She turned the screen to him. He read the texts with a bored expression, but then his face turned red and he quickly got up, taking his phone back and letting out a curse. -Answer me!

-It-it's not what y-you're thinking… -He stuttered and took a step back. -I-it’s a joke, it's not… Fuck. Belle, I'm sorry, I really am.

-What does it mean, Noah? What does he mean about dealing with Betty? Or taking her? And your father giving him money for… Noah! -Her eyes darted to the curtains, but Ryan wasn't there anymore. Her heart slammed at her ears. -Answer me, Noah! It was him, he was the one who raped Betty and you've covered up for him, you… Ugh!

Belle looked around and put both hands to the sides of her head. She was being loud and was crying, although she could barely feel her face.

-Belle, I… Please, don't tell anyone. He didn't… She wanted to, in the beginning, she wanted to do it to hurt me, he didn't force her in the beginning. She wanted it, and gave up, and he felt like she was dumping him… It wasn’t his fault. -He shook his head. -And… He didn't deliver her, she's fine, he won't do anything to her, I'm telling you, she's fine. It was all a misunderstanding.

-Listen to your own words, Noah! -She screamed at him and her throat hurt. -You're as bad as him! You're a…

Ryan shoved Noah to the side and held her in his arms, pressing her face against his chest to muffle her voice.

-Enough! Shut up. -He said in her ear, his voice low and calm. -We don't want this kind of attention, stop.

Noah was just shaking his head, his whole body trembling, his face red and moistened by his own tears.

-Belle? Are you ok? -Betty was running toward them with a worried expression. -I heard you from the pool, what happened?

Her eyes darted from Noah to Ryan, only then spotting the girl between his arms.

-What happened?

-You and your lies! That's what happened, Betty! -Noah screamed, the veins in his neck and temples budging. -Look what you've done, are you happy now?

-No, you won't blame her, you fucking asshole! -Belle screamed, trying to get rid of Ryan's arms. -How dare you? You should be in jail along with your brother! You're just like him!

Noah turned to her with an outraged expression and Ryan pushed her back, putting his body in front of hers.

-Belle, please, don't… -Betty tried to come closer to her, but Noah turned and pushed her violently back.

Belle let out a shriek while the girl practically flew to the ground, rolling on her side with the impact against the grass.

-Don't pretend to be her friend! -Noah roared, his hands in fists beside his body.

Belle managed to get rid of Ryan's grip and ran to help Betty get up, checking if she had been hurt. Ryan pushed Noah back when he tried to approach them.

-You should run now. If you don't, I'll break both your arms, piece of shit.

-Belle, please… -Noah whispered. -I'm really sorry.

-I never want to see your face again, Noah. -Belle muttered, holding Betty while brushing the grass from her hair and back. -You're sick. And you're a criminal too.

Noah shook his head. Ryan took a step toward him, but he backed away and looked at the girls.

-I'm sorry, Betty. -He murmured, before turning and running away.

imeren, novelenthusiast1717 and TZia like this.
  18. TZia

TZia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I love long chapters:)

This was another big chapter which answered some questions about Noah. I had called it on previous comments that is delusional when it comes to Belle. He has serious mental issues with a tendency for violence - makes a very dangerous combination. We know that he spread the rumors about him and Belle having an affair. He also believes that Belle loves him but Ryan is in the way. I wonder if he would conspire something against Ryan? He’s crazy enough to do it!

We also know that Noah is far from innocent. He obviously is involved in covering up what Aaron and his father are doing with the kidnapped girls. I wonder what other crimes he is involved with?

It’s interesting that Ryan refers to him as a stupid Golden Retriever. As a dog lover and owner I can attest that Golden Retrievers are smart, sometimes goofy and they can be needy. They are good, completely adorable, lovable and extremely loyal. Noah is nothing like a Golden Retriever:(

I hope that Belle finally distances herself from Noah.

I’m really worried about the next chapter with the title “A Violent Farewell”:cry:

Last edited: Apr 28, 2022
    novelenthusiast1717, GiBro and imeren like this.
  19. GiBro

GiBro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Technically Belle and Ryan are guilty of the same charge :censored: still, Noah knows his father is being investigated and apparently is keeping that information from him, which means he knows his father deserves to go to prison...

You said it all, Ryan associates him with a Golden only because he's a big, blond, intelligent, goofy and overly needy guy.
    He disregards the fact that he's also violent when he uses the nickname because by the time he gave the boy the nickname he didn't have any idea that the boy had violent behavior or unstable emotional state. Remember when he threatened to kill Noah, that he was complaining to himself that Noah wouldn't get mad or want to fight? That's disassociated behavior. Noah wasn't feeling what he should be feeling, because his mood was down by that moment.

He associates Betty to an Akita because that dog is known for being aggressive toward everyone he feels is either a threat or "a prey". That doesn't mean the dog is treacherous, it's just a breed that is too close to wolves.

Yeah, I could hear you and other reader vibing with that :ROFLMAO:

Actually there's a chapter before that one, I misswrote the titles, gonna fix it when I get home or tomorrow

TZia and novelenthusiast1717 like this.
  20. GiBro

GiBro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Good morning, dear readers.

Tonight's post is gonna be Ryan's POV of Louise's death. Tuesday's post is gonna be it's sequence and Thursday's post is gonna be chapter 57.
    I have no hope of it meaning I'll get to post next chapters according to schedule though xD I'm just buying time. (Don't get mad, I really believe you're gonna like his POV, at least I hope so)

TZia and imeren like this.