Discussion What to say when you're being forced to buy things?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Alexcia, May 22, 2022.

1. Alexcia

Alexcia Belle of Banter

Reading List:
    Link
    Let me brief a scenario: you went to inquire how much this thing is worth and the price clearly is a ripped off so you refused to buy it when the shop keeper said this to you:

Shop keeper: You have to buy it when you already asked for the price.

What should you say when you're forced to buy something you don't want like this?

PS: honestly I have many things in mind but i doubt it could be used in real life situation since i never faced this kind of thing before, so i'd like some opinions on this matter.

Cutter Masterson likes this.
  2. Amaruna Myu

Amaruna Myu ugly squid dokja (●´∀`●)

Reading List:
    Link
    I dont think I want to buy it anymore
    and walk away
    it's best to be firm when facing an unreasonable stranger

3. unsungsilver

unsungsilver Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Uhhhhh.... say nothing and just walk out because that argument is clearly idiotic and makes no sense.

4. Alexcia

Alexcia Belle of Banter

Reading List:
    Link
    yeah i guess we can do that but what if the scenario changed a bit and from simply buying stuff to having you property being in their hand? for example, when you go to change ur phone screen, or when you go to change ur bike's tire and they gave u a high price but refuse to let you go unless u agree to the deal?

This is what i got in mind too, or u could just make it more absurd by running away directly lol

5. Accismus

Accismus Icarus

Reading List:
    Link
    That's one unreasonable manager. But yeah sometimes social anxiety can compel you to buy something after you have asked more than 3 questions about a product. Because you feel like you have wasted the shopkeepers time and you have to compensate for it. (Been there done that my cousin asked me to drive her for shopping and kept on asking for more clothes to be shown and only chose one scarf that i paid for she wasted an hour and now I don't visit that shop)
    But yeah if you don't want to buy anything just say sorry I don't wish to buy it right now but will later after asking for others opinion. (Works everytime)

Alexcia likes this.
  6. Walter vi Britannia

Walter vi Britannia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  7. Amaruna Myu

Amaruna Myu ugly squid dokja (●´∀`●)

Reading List:
    Link
    usually, you should ask for the price first before leaving your items with them to be safe.
    but if you really are unable to reject even after many firm attempts, take it as a lesson learnt and avoid such people next time

8. Alexcia

Alexcia Belle of Banter

Reading List:
    Link
    This is what i got in mind too, or u could just make it more absurd by running away directly lol b
    I guess this is reasonable when it's being like that, it's the buyer's fault obv. But what do u think about a scene where buyer only asked once but being forced like that? this is actually pretty common here when those shitty sellers just gonna say this.
    wdym xd
    i guess that's the only choice now, but yeah usually people need to examine it first before setting a price here so being careless is kind of expected.

9. Accismus

Accismus Icarus

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh then I just say no I don't wish to buy this and walk away. But if they ask again and again
    I just make excuse like
    Look I am looking for a gift for someone and I don't like your product so I won't buy it and if you keep on pestering me I will not visit this shop again.

Senros likes this.
  10. Alexcia

Alexcia Belle of Banter

Reading List:
    Link
    i guess it's a polite and good excuse, got it! i can try this later if needed to.

11. Accismus

Accismus Icarus

Reading List:
    Link
    Exactly. It's hard being harsh irl. You can curse like a sailor on internet and then comes reality when you can't even raise your voice irl.

Iruma666, Alexcia and Senros like this.
  12. Senros

Senros Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    "Really? How much are you, then? 5 bucks? Maybe 10? I'll take that instead :)"

Well, I probably wouldn't have the balls to say that. I'd probably just look at them weirldy and say, "Ehm, no." And just leave.

13. ongoingwhy

ongoingwhy Meat Pie Lover

Reading List:
    Link
    ...you've never encountered something like this because it would never happen. :blobwoah:

Iruma666 and ninjakitteh like this.
  14. Raven Evernight

Raven Evernight But they never just accepted me for the way I was…

Reading List:
    Link
    I’m too poor to buy sorry trade feet pics for it?

15. ninjakitteh

ninjakitteh Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Does this sort of nonsense actually happen anywhere? And does anyone actually fall for it?

If someone was foolish enough to try pulling some shit like that on me, though, then I would call the idiot's bluff by calling the police right then & there and asking whether or not I had any legal obligations as a result of the situation, which I would describe in detail loud enough for anyone within twenty feet to hear. Fun for the whole family!

16. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    Start recording the conversation and get them to incriminate themselves, then just upload to the cloud and play it for him asking if they're sure they want to keep playing this game. Not like the police would actually give a shit but it's good that people are still afraid of legal actions since it's probably not a one time scam and you're just a little fish to be thrown back.

17. IceLight303

IceLight303 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I only pay with card so I would pay then file a dispute with my credit card company.

Before that I always get an estimate. So I know what to expect.

I had my car repaired at a dealer ship and they broke my car key, broke the driver side mirror and did some other unauthorized services. They wouldn't give me a new key, repair the mirror or give back the car until I paid. I just went in for a recalled airbag replacement, (which was free).

It does happen. I refused to pay and argued for a while. The damaged my car so they should fix it. I had to speak to the manager and I ended up not having to pay. It took a few days of constant calls and arguments plus looking at cameras. (I called the police they were of no help.)

I did report them to the headquarters but I don't think anything happened. So it does happen. Just rare.

evanesco99211 likes this.
  18. Iruma666

Iruma666 『 Banana Pudding Enjoyer 』

Reading List:
    Link
    For both of your scenarios:

Call the police. People tend to shut up real fast once they hear the 911 operators voice.

Or

Use your gun, they are threatening you after all.
    Although if you don't have a gun... yea, try to grab your stuff from their hands. Because they can't take anything from you and then force a ransom payment for it back. Literal robbery.

Or

Start screaming really loudly! (I've done this before and it always attracts everyone's attention)
    You don't hurt anyone, nor do police have to be called-- because the court of public opinion will almost always make them back down.

19. ongoingwhy

ongoingwhy Meat Pie Lover

Reading List:
    Link
    That's a completely different scenario. Also, didn't you receive a vehicle repair receipt before you left the car there? Get one even if the service is supposed to be free. If they refuse to give you one, go to another garage.

ninjakitteh likes this.
  20. ninjakitteh

ninjakitteh Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That is a completely different situation than someone attempting to make you buy an item simply for asking its price. Also, pretty much the only people who don't have problems with their mechanics are mechanics.

If you really want a guaranteed cot & a warm three in the ol' hoosegow until you get taken out back... then you go right ahead. I guess. (y)

ongoingwhy likes this.