Discussion Why do people instantly downvote harem when they come across one?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Daoist Ghoul, Jun 23, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Daoist Ghoul

Daoist Ghoul Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Why do people instantly downvote harem when they come across one without even reading it. I really don't get the hate against it. Like if you don't like it, don't read it. Why the need to bring it down?

2. phoenix107

phoenix107 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe because many harems are cliche and not so well done, and even knowing that for some reason so many jp authors love that genre.
    Not that Im saying that you should downvote anything before reading.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2022
  3. slarbi

slarbi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I usually like them but I get the reason they think the women are mindless and fall in love too quickly and most of them would fail a Bechdel test

4. DeirdreH

DeirdreH Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't like reading any novel that does pass a Bechdel test.

Deleted member 25261 likes this.
  5. Zerses

Zerses Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Most harem tend to fall to the fact that the author just doesn’t know much about either women, relationships, or poly relationships in particular. There are many ways to have working poly relations but with the exception of some noble mc having multiple wife novels most aren’t done anywhere close to how it should be done. And even a lot of the noble background type novels don’t show them done correctly.

6. Airlol

Airlol Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Because the ending of harem of good story is always sad for the MC just choose 1 only....
    Or because we hate the author who just put another woman at the story just for to love MC suddenly.
    Or maybe because Yuki Rito.

7. Amaruna Myu

Amaruna Myu ugly squid dokja (●´∀`●)

Reading List:
    Link
    same principle as why some people immediately vote bl novels as 1 star: because they dislike the genre. that's all

8. Zerses

Zerses Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    To put it bluntly for us nitpickers the novels are writing to entertain and not educate people so I guess let’s just complain all we want since that’s how we stay entertained which I guess validates those same trash authors so meh.

9. IceLight303

IceLight303 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know. I rarely rate a novels in the first place. The same thing happens to BL novels. People get annoyed that BL novels keep popping up or are recommended to them. I saw a review that was one star saying there was too many BL novels on the main page of novel updates. Review had nothing to do with the novel but rather a complaint.

I recommend BL novels most do not pass the Bechdel test (had to look that up).

10. Solus

Solus 自分のことお嫌いです

Reading List:
    Link
    Harem is not the only one that gets instant downvote in NU. It's like someone is out there, preparing to downvote anything that appears in the release update.

11. IceLight303

IceLight303 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, I have seen this many times!

12. Daoist Ghoul

Daoist Ghoul Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think BL novels are hated as much as harem ones. In fact, most high rated novels here are BL novels while the harem ones are downvoted in Oblivion

13. Zerses

Zerses Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean really those people that complain there are filters to make it so those genre don’t show up for them so really that’s more on them.

Rodvek97, IceLight303 and deadeyemax like this.
  14. BooklessBookworm

BooklessBookworm Sensible Little Sister ꒰ঌ(⃔ ⌯' '⌯)⃕໒꒱

Reading List:
    Link
    That’s how I feel about a lot of novels! I once found a review on a comedy novel about the fact that it wasn’t realistic, the MC is narcissistic, there’s no plot, etc. and I was just like, “…It’s a comedy, what do you expect?” When I see a novel very clearly tagged as “Incest” or “Yuri” I don’t go around complaining about the fact that the main CP were siblings or girls. I take note of it, accept that it probably won’t be my taste, and move onto another novel. Just because you don’t like something doesn’t mean another won’t as well. I might hate cherry popsicles but that doesn’t mean I should go and complain to all the stores to stop selling them. (Ps: nothing wrong with Yuri, I just feel a bit awkward reading it as a straight girl)

mir likes this.
  15. Wakashii

Wakashii Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm an harem hater and I actually read very few novels where the harem was NOT bad(only because it was around 2 wives). The problem is that I read MANY good novels that were destroyed by harem, so we actually HATE this tag because of that. Well, I only vote if I read the novel and If I believe that the harem is bad, I downvote 100% and drop.

Dr_H_16, nienienie, mir and 2 others like this.
  16. Mnotia

Mnotia The Trash Man

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it's because most harems have the exact same characters over and over.

What I mean by this are the capture characters. They are most likely the same. None of it is different.

Also, harem novels tend to not have good plots. The plot is made to introduce a harem target.

For example, we'll get paragraphs on top of paragraphs detailing how fucking beautiful this jade beauty is but then her country is described using the same format as how all the other targets were explained; who/whats in charge, what lives there, and some mystery thats in that country.

The plots are created off the back of targets.

Harem stories also tend to be neck-beard bait and or power fantasy shit.

Also, theres a trend now of stories not starting with a harem for about 20-30 chapters because the translator decided it was ok to add all the other genres except for harem but then add it when the harem start event actually happens cough.

I don't believe in that "Well the readers can add the tag" bullshit. The authors will go chapters without that 1 genre tag but as soon as the harem event happens they then add the tag. Theyre like oil companies that dump oil without anyone noticing but then as soon people start dying of water poisoning they tell people theyre dumping water in the river.

nienienie, kwekkwek and mir like this.
  17. Oddwaffle

Oddwaffle Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's really simple: it's because outside of the harem part the whole story falls apart immediately. It has no other relevant relationship. The main character has no personality. Outside of being a goodie two shoe coward, he will end up as a fool challenging the spin wheel.

It's like Pokemon for adults with no battle and no adventure. Gotta collect them all.

Essentially, a story is harem because the author can't write anything else and the story has nothing else but "collect them all" because the MC is a "good guy".

For Chinese novel, they throw in power ups to prevent it become some boring slice of life or in reverse harem they throw in the pretty cat fights.

kwekkwek, Exalted, Rodvek97 and 2 others like this.
  18. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh Bruh

Reading List:
    Link
    :blob_plusone:

At least for Pokémon you have to spend a lot of time to catch all of them and some, you fail to/cant even catch, while in most harem novels, you can get anybody with just the slightest action.

mir likes this.
  19. Eccentricstate

Eccentricstate ❀ Face-Slapping Champion ❀

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly, I don’t get why people downvote something they haven’t read lol
    And on the flip side, why read something if you know you don’t typically like the genre? That being said, if you do read a novel and didn’t like it, a negative vote is fair game.
    Personally, I just avoid genres I don’t like and accept that it isn’t my cup of tea. Everyone has their own interests and people should just let others have fun if they aren’t hurting anyone lol

mir likes this.
  20. Aachiin0914

Aachiin0914 ☼Sunnyshies☼

Reading List:
    Link
    ugh...maybe because its unscientific? I get it that the male protagonist helped and saved those women, but if you look at the context, it was to the point of immediately falling in love. Esp, the love at first sight thingy, it made it looked like women are so cheap, and its like men are all bastards except for the op ml. Before, you can still enjoy harem theme-- you have a likable op ml, who never engages in any romance, and a bunch of girls who liked him, and are willing to be with him-- but its on the premise of ml not liking anybody.

There are many good cn harem, actually, but if you look at it in other pov, the ml really do like he is op, but actually he was just hiding under the girls' skirt.

While jp harem is...meh. Arifureta, is actually one of the harem novels/manga I patiently read before...Its a good one really, but I still dropped it the moment ml accepted his healer childhood friend. But reverse harem theme of jp novels are actually okay...except for the mls engaging in contest for fl's attention, there's nothing really fun going on in there. well, except if you look at some r-rated creations.

And kr is more on reverse harem theme? I haven;t read any harem type novels in kr before...well I skipped them...

More so, I think authors just write harem for fun service now a days, esp jp. I haven't read any good new ones in jp now.

But I don't hate to the point of bringing it down, I could just skip it like I always do. Polygamy ain't a thing in this world now, and its just a genre in a fictional creation.