Recommendations Chinese GLs

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by luoxinle, Jun 25, 2022.

1. luoxinle

luoxinle Book Club Founder

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm looking for some completely translated Chinese GLs to read with my book group. What GLs have you read? How were they? Feel free to list the ones you didn't like, too, and say why you didn't like them.

2. Tsubaki -

Tsubaki - Unknown Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Female General and Eldest Princess is an all-time classic for me, it has subtle romance, emotional drama, battle scenes and court intrigue. But, the downside is it's very long and the romance is minimal compared to the other aspects of the novel.
    As a wuxia fan I felt obligated to read The Witch Nichang, it's a great novel. Even more so, if you've read/watched Bai Fa Mo Nü Zhuan.
    The General's Manor Young Concubine Survival Report is shorter and more lighthearted than the other two, but still great. It's also one of the few novels that has the wife cheat on her husband with his concubine.

luoxinle likes this.
  3. luoxinle

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for the great suggestions! I usually don't like cheating stories, but I admit I'm intrigued by the last novel. And in the cultural context of the time, is it really cheating?

Tsubaki - likes this.
  4. Tsubaki -

Tsubaki - Unknown Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No problem!
    The last novel doesn't really explore this question as much as I hope it would. I think during ancient times a sexual relationship between two women wouldn't have been considered cheating, but an intimate friendship because they're still married to the same man and don't cheat on him with another man. Even today some male-oriented webnovels are like this, Flower Stealing Master or The World of Otome Games is Tough for Mobs for example.
    I don't support cheating, but the topic is interesting. If I remember correctly their husband does get very angry though.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2022
    luoxinle likes this.
  5. luoxinle

Reading List:
    Link
    I feel like the term "cheating" means "breaking the rules", but every relationship's rules are different. The fact that their husband got angry suggests that it was "cheating", but on the other hand, it's not like they got to define and agree to the rules, which maybe means it isn't cheating.

Tsubaki - likes this.