Those of you that translate novels after asking for permission, how do you do so?

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by CadmarLegend, Jun 26, 2022.

1. CadmarLegend

CadmarLegend one and a two and a bing bang boo!

Reading List:
    Link
    I found a novel I really liked, started reading it on Kakuyomu (MUCH BETTER ALTERNATIVE TO READING ON SYOSETU -- ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC UI), decided to ask the author for permission by DM-ing the Twitter that they had for information, but was denied (albeit gently) that they already had copyrighted it and had published manga... It was a pretty quick, that conversation.

I told them how I’d stumbled onto their novel, how I found it interesting, how I wished to translate it, and how I wouldn’t profit from it. I also added the fact that I would terminate the translations if they were to ever request it. Then author-san straight up told me to not translate it because, well, copyright. I responded with, ok, best wishes (since they seemed to have a cold they tweeted about), and was given the thumbs up back.

How does one ask for permission, those of you that do? What types of benefits do you give the author for allowing you to translate? I know there aren’t many, but tell me if possible.

I feel like I got rejected by my middle-school crush, and the hormonial emotions are raging within me (joking, joking!).

I am ready to cleanse myself of grey-zone legalties.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2022
    Esha07, Cutter Masterson and Agentt like this.
  2. Cutter Masterson

Cutter Masterson Well-Known Super-Soldier

Reading List:
    Link
    I’ve come across several novels like that and yes I either offered to translate it or continue writing it. I never did get an answer. So I drop it. Congratulations you went the extra mile and did better than I ever did. Still I hope those novels come through in the end. Good luck

3. Melodious Nocturne

Melodious Nocturne [Dance, water, dance!] [My name is Demyx!]

Reading List:
    Link
    *noms fishy* Don’t authors get in legal trouble if they allow people to translate their work without a contract? I mean, when you get a book published, you have to negotiate on who has certain rights over things such as adaptations, foreign publishing, etc. Not all authors are able to keep the rights for themselves, especially if they have little bargaining power. Even if they are able to keep the rights for themselves, knowingly allowing people to translate without a formal contractual relationship risks their copyright, I believe. I am not a lawyer or a literary agent or associated with the publishing industry, but I have looked this stuff up in the past, which is why I know a little.

FlufflyLittleRabbit likes this.
  4. CadmarLegend

CadmarLegend one and a two and a bing bang boo!

Reading List:
    Link
    i mean for the normal syosetu author who doesn’t have anything published asides from the web novel itself.

5. Esha07

Esha07 ☄your favorite meanie࿐ྂ

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't know about CN, KR or JPN authors but I know some guys who translate Thai novels, they ask for permission from twt.

If the author has a legal contract, they ask to talk with their manager.

Basically most of them don't have any contracts, asks the fan translator to keep it free for reading and also ask to provide the link after they start posting the novel.
    Sometimes they just give permission to translate only first 5-10 chapters.

6. xuexxi

xuexxi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    not an expert on it, just what i’ve heard, but these novels that are published on online platforms are contracted with the platform and the authors do not have the right to give permission for translation. if u want to ask someone, u need to do that with the platform, and they will most likely say no lol.

7. D_Ladypresident

D_Ladypresident Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ummmh.... how do you know if it has copyright?

8. JoudanDesu

JoudanDesu New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Something is copyrighted the moment it's created. So all works of writing are copyrighted. You don't have to officially register anything to have copyright, but in the US there is a process for registering copyright but all that does is make it easier for you to prove you own the copyright if you have to.

D_Ladypresident likes this.
  9. Murcott

Murcott Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A couple years ago, I was able to get permission from an author on jjwxc by searching for novels that had not yet signed a contract. It's an icon on the upper right hand corner-ish of each novel page. I made a Weibo account and messaged her through the app. I'm not very familiar with the situation with jjwxc now though.