Discussion Do you cuss?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bad Storm, Jul 2, 2022.

?

Do you cuss?

1. Yes, I do

42.6%
  2. No, I don't

12.8%
  3. Frequently, (mostly) harmless of course

38.3%
  4. Rarely

12.8%
  5. When I'm emotional

19.1%
  6. *noms skullie*

12.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Bad Storm

Bad Storm no thought, head empty

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't. I also try to say alternatives like "fudge" or "schist", "anak ng tokwa". oh wait, last one is Filipino that translates as "child of tofu" xD

Anyway, just now, while I was peacefully enjoying the morning sun in my comfy patio bed, I heard a kid throw a tantrum. It is loud and especially in such a quiet neighborhood, even if it's a block away, it's still audible. The kid loudly cussed! It's kinda funny. But I wonder why people cuss alot even to a point where their kid gets exposed to it and cuss at such a young age.

2. tekinwillie

tekinwillie TEKING

Reading List:
    Link
    Because cussing isn't necessarily bad. I curse a lot. I curse at people driving bad, my general situation, or I hurt myself or something. Why should I care if a word is a "bad" word? If society bans a word another takes its place. Words aren't bad, the way we use them could make it bad. Tone and situation could change the meaning.

Mr gentleman, Lissi, Emma626 and 4 others like this.
  3. Bad Storm

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think it's bad either. I just have a preference to not use it. People can use what they want imo. As long as they don't go too far and be disrespectful.

Lissi, Emma626 and lirtalan like this.
  4. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    As a non native English speaker, it is very difficult for me to choose words to express my emotions when they are at extremes. Thus, fuck or such cuss words are an easy way out. Is that a bad word? Idk mate... Any word can be part of a bad sentence. As someone who reads so many books, I believe there are no bad words. Just words that our society has collectively decided we don't want to use. And the problem with that is... The world is made of multiple societies.

Lissi, Xlaude, Emma626 and 5 others like this.
  5. hansora

hansora Someone Who Seeks Fluff & Heartwarming Stories

Reading List:
    Link
    Does saying 'stupid' count? I rarely cussed, if something like 'stupid', 'fool' and 'crazy' are counted as cursing words, even when I'm angry

Emma626 likes this.
  6. Has

Has divorcee and veteran nuffer

Reading List:
    Link
    I used to cuss a lot a few years ago, then i went through a phase where i thought it was super vulgar and it didn't fit my image, then i started cussing again and now i do it often but nothing too much, i try to avoid cussing *at* people and i try to avoid cussing too hard or too much

lirtalan likes this.
  7. Amaruna Myu

Amaruna Myu ugly squid dokja (●´∀`●)

Reading List:
    Link
    I learnt it when I was too young and it because a habit
    now that I know more chinese curses I just say wokao instead of fk because it's less likely that my family knows I'm cursing
    in front of strangers I try to remain polite tho

I say shit or holy shit and its variations a lot though... I wanna drop it since I think its too crude but eh...

lirtalan likes this.
  8. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I almost never curse. It sometimes slips, but I made a conscious effort for years to stop cursing, so at this point it's just natural to me to not curse~

9. Deleted member 310942

Deleted member 310942 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I think that the intention and tone used when cussing is what makes cussing "bad". I do swear because I don't see the big deal. The people around me don't think the same as me though lol.

Embarrassingly enough, I started swearing when I was in 6th grade. I thought I'd be cool because everyone around me started cussing as well. Then, once I finished 6th grade, I realized I was super inexperienced in swearing and I sounded absolutely ridiculous when I swore. So, I stopped. But then, I realized that at that point, it was a habit. Along the way, since I didn't put any effort into swearing and it came out naturally, I don't sound like a wannabe anymore. I just cuss when I get surprised or when I want to emphasize something. It's a habit and it's just a natural thing for me now. I tend to cuss mentally a LOT more than I do verbally.

Bad Storm and lirtalan like this.
  10. lirtalan

lirtalan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For me, cussing is a very vital part of speech - not vital in the sense of necessary, but as in living, vibrant, alive. It breathes colour and life into your tones and meanings, gives texture to what you communicate. It's like spoken emojis, to a certain extent - a whole range of degrees of emotion/familiarity/symbolic meaning, putting emphasis on how you feel about something you say or refer to.

As a linguist, I find it absolutely fascinating - the way each language has a clear emotional semantic register that can be used to highlight verbal communication. The way you use it signals to others not just how you feel about something, but how intensely or pointedly you feel it or want to show it. There's no other way to show, in speech, the degree of your emotion or emphasis in what you are trying to communicate. It's not just irrelevant words - it carries significant information in itself that highlights specific sentences or exclamations in very useful, meaningful ways.

There is a reason why every language ever born has a range of unique swear words in different degrees of intensity. They're not just "extra" words, they have a true purpose and function that can add whole layers of meaning that you can't otherwise express. Can they be misused, or overused? Yes, absolutely, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't have a place in our registers of speech. Just my opinion, ofc!

VeraH, Bad Storm and MangoGuy like this.
  11. IamJustthisweirdreader

IamJustthisweirdreader [hope you drop your phone in the toilet]

Reading List:
    Link
    It's exactly the same for me.
    I do cuss in Hindi but not as much.
    So saying 'fuck' 'shit' is quite frequent for me...they are not exactly even considered that bad for me....i cuss at others extremely less.I cuss at my myself a lot tho.

I don't cuss out words such as 'bitch' or 'slut' even for harmless jokes since i myself get extremely offended if someone uses such words even as a joke for me.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2022
    lirtalan likes this.
  12. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    As you say Hindi, I am assuming you are a non native English speaker. For people like us, the "history" or the cultural notion of cuss words in English are completely missing. So many Indian folks I know use the n-word, despite the blanket ban on it for non black people in most social situations. Because we don't fully feel what some section of society feel when such words are spoken in their presence, we just go about using them as a valid tool to express our emotions. Like, I find it very funny that some words are ok to be used by some sections of society, but not for others. But I can survive in such a society only by following the rules.

In the end, what exactly are cuss words? We shouldn't be cussing at other people, as it is often a harsh thing that you say. Something that you can't take back. But it is just a coincidence that a specific set of words are often used while cussing people. So, there is a correlation but not causation. Because kids may not fully understand this concept, parents try to impose a blanket ban on these set of words. I believe that as we grow older and we understand this nuance, then we should start using these exclamatory words more. Not because they are inherently better words, but because they work exceptionally well as qualifiers when used appropriately.

Or I might simply be trying to defend my own use of the word. I still don't dare use it in an office setting. As I said, there are multiple societies out there!

lirtalan likes this.
  13. northerner

northerner a stressed potato

Reading List:
    Link
    I started swearing when I was 13? I thought it was cool. I don't curse at home because I still have this notion that my mom is going to make me eat chili peppers, which she did when I was 5. I don't say fuck you because it feels really bad for me but I say shit a lot or other swear words but not to be rude to others. I mostly used it when joking around, am shocked, or really angry. Hearing kids nowadays cussing loudly still shocks me because I was taught that kids can't do that. Adults view those as disrespectful and rude. But they do it anyway in front of kids, lol.

14. deadlyexistence23

deadlyexistence23 ❝ And maybe, for a while that was true ❞

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't curse in my native language especially around with my family, with my friends i say something similar but not the exact word, for ex; "putangina/tangina" would be "putaena/taena".

... I curse in English tho, i Don't think my family cares if i curse in English, it's quite the opposite if it's in my native language, they see It as something vulgar/dirty orz XD i say fuck or shit quite often, mostly due to something which surprised me or frustrated me.

15. Raven Evernight

Raven Evernight But they never just accepted me for the way I was…

Reading List:
    Link
    I’m British we always fucking swearing here like fuck imagine if you couldn’t just go up to someone and say you little bitch I love those sweets where you get them from and they be like telling you without being offended it’s just common here

16. Bobasis

Bobasis Weeeeee

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, a lot. I use it as emphasis to my sentences sometimes or to express how mad I am. I started cussing pretty young so it became a habit. I don’t cuss in school unless I’m somewhere private with my friends with no teachers around. It’s kinda just apart of my vocabulary now.

17. Manhuas2Life

Manhuas2Life {•_•}[me?] [manhuas]{^~^}

Reading List:
    Link
    Ik damm well u be cussing at some of ur teachers behind their backs hun =_= and yeah same w me except my teachers don’t care if u cuss unless u say it aloud so I’ve whispered a cuss word or two under my breath when I’m angry in class

18. ExiledMage

ExiledMage Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What a stupid question

19. Bobasis

Bobasis Weeeeee

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah when there gone : D so it counts as in private

....I mean who hasn’t talked shit on their teacher at least once >>

20. Bad Storm

Reading List:
    Link
    Reminds me of college where my classmates greet each other with "Yo, bitch!"

Deleted member 310942 likes this.