Spoiler Blinded by the Setting Sun

Discussion in 'Spoilers' started by Khloud2003, Jun 17, 2020.

1. missbluesunglasses

missbluesunglasses Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    bleedingliar24 and shashasha like this.
  2. SamSam

SamSam class' ...pas class' !

Reading List:
    Link
    how many raw chapters are there now? someone who's read ahead?

3. Slackerbell

Slackerbell Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Any new spoilers? I've read til ch 20 of the manhwa but im frustrated cause the story is to dragging there are annoying characters like that blondie knight that just so openly discriminate MC as a northerner. I still want to know how the story goes though cause i like the MC but not the other characters...

4. missbluesunglasses

Reading List:
    Link
    83 raws. i believe the official eng translation is at 31 and there is a group who translated til 81.

SamSam likes this.
  5. missbluesunglasses

Reading List:
    Link
    We're finally over with the hildegar's history/past arc!!!!!!!!!!! it was really introspective and gave us lots of info on what she's been through and how she's grow up but I think it could've been shortened or immersed better into season 1 chapters instead of having this long long long period of none of the other characters we've come to know bc that's a huge shift from what we saw in first season

^ looks like she's still waiting on elkin to come back and the spy knight is really having his allegiance tested because someone from the king(?)s side is pushing him to get intel...back to elkin -> they are resting atop the mountain (aka the shortcut they took) to find the backlogged herbs when a mysterious old lady/witch (?) tells him to "come with her" next time and HE THINKS OF KAIA AUTOMATICALLY <3

6. Myth Collector

Myth Collector Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm just a normal girl who wants to know if this has romance or not

gnyaa likes this.
  7. Eloisane

Eloisane Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It has, and now it will have more, half of the chapters have been about the MC past story, and half of the half left, have been about the ML past story, so 3/4 of the total chapters have been about past stories.

8. Myth Collector

Myth Collector Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes I read it UpTo the latest chapter but thank you so much!

9. missbluesunglasses

Reading List:
    Link
    FL and ML finally reunite in Ch 101!!!!!!!!!1

ML: Kaya! Is that a new dress? It's pretty on you. Who made it. Youre here for breakfast? Today it was super delicious. (What am I saying? I didn't think we'd run into each other like this.)

FL: Erkin, you should get a haircut. Is it because I haven't seen you in a while? I think your hair is a bit long. Should I cut it?

ML: It's been a long time no see. I'm back, Kaya :)

FL: :)

ML: flabbergasted (SO CUTE!....Wait what? It's not like this.) Kaya isnt your face a bit red?

FL: Yes

ML: are my eyes a bit loose?

Guard to ML: You're redder now.

ML: By any chance, are you getting a fever?

FL; denies getting a cold and faints

Elkin is taking care of FL's sickness.

ML: so lady said you were waiting outside in the chilly cold all this time. why?

FL: I was waiting for you (ML gets super red ahhaha)

ML: (she has no hesitation) Right? You didnt know if Id get hte medicine or not. You thought Id stay in the north.

FL: No. I just missed you Elkin. I was worried. <3333333333333333333

ML: there's flowers in the garden, they're all broken. After you feel better, let;s plant them again in the garden.

[​IMG]

FL: (flashbacks to Griselda telling her "you cant do this to him either") Elkin....I....

Theyre super blushy and cute :) They missed each other.

^^ Still not clear if FL killed his family or not.

your crush likes this.
  10. BurstThrough

BurstThrough Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The premise is interesting in the beginning but I just find it way past the “moral event horizon” that she was very fine being a reusable nuke till their tiny kingdom swallowed a territory 5x it’s size and with much bigger population until the FINAL BATTLE just so that her troops could get destroyed. ML is also awful, he is both a doormat asian and a silent avenger but it becomes increasingly boring and unbelievable that he’s ever gonna do anything.
    While I do find Hildegard interesting in a domestic setting but as a warrior she is blasé to the point you’d doubt she ever killed anyone or even minds if she were to die tomorrow(honestly it’d be a happy ending if ML just killed everyone but her castle employees) unless it was painful.
    The most dumb thing is that she killed so many people but is fine following the king’s orders(if she got rid of blond knight she’d have made her point)
    Also all she had to do to not be irredeemable was to announce a ceasefire or go to the king and demand an end to the war and all would END!!! What forced her to fight!? WHAT!?!? But she had to do the worst of both worlds and half-a** at that last battle for EVERYONE to have a bad time.

11. ivysaurr

ivysaurr Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, the reason she finally listened and obeyed and fought for the king after kinda rebelling was because the king promised her that the people from her village would be returned to their place and would be safe and that she would be able to return after the war would be finished. Then she just found out the night before the fight at the Great White Plains that the king lied - the village people were not returned (all of them were probably killed) and their place has been deserted for a long time. So it was like she lost her reason to fight at that time. Also, she was just still a kid at the time.
    Though it would have been nice if she went to the king and killed him after finding out that he lied. Haha. But anyway, that's where it stands now and I'm curious of her plans against the king, if she ever has. I think for now their focus is on healing her illness, if there ever is a cure.

bleedingliar24 likes this.
  12. Meizey

Meizey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    She was a kid, she was manipulated by the king and used as a weapon. It kind of reminds me of Violet Evergarden since th e whole anime is about her LEARNING about human emotions (I still didn't finish it, but it's nice so far).
    In "The strongest characters in the world are obsessed with me" prince Cedric also doesn't have any human emotions. He does have a different reason, but he is stil emotionless, but does things for his father without question.
    You have to understand her point of view too.
    Also, people who are fighting in war are never the ones who started the war or decided to go into the war (I mean there were a lot of kings irl, but in these stories almost no one actually goes, but they send others, except for Queen Cecia's shorts, though nobody shamed her for killing a lot of people to unite a continent (it wasn't blood free battle you know, it just wasn't really explained like here), so it's kind of expect and normal for generals to kill and follow commands).
    Considering she did follow commands I don't think she is responsible for the massacre. You have to also have in mind time period setting of the story and the fact that war heros always get rewarded for killing people and are never regarded as murders if they did it on duty in a war.
    It's like blaming ML because he was living in a village that was attacked in a war or living in a time of war. That's just how things work unfortunately.
    No one was really convicted in world wars of generals (some were, but for war crimes, not because they killed people on orders to kill them, but for doing things on their own, stealing etc).
    So, I think she doesn't have to be held responsible in modern standards point of view.
    Another example of a manhwa would be "Marriage contract" or "Deceitful marriage" etc etc I can't remember every single one that has male war hero, who, guess what, killed people to get rewarded and no one is shaming them for that nor expects any responsibility out of them.

13. BurstThrough

BurstThrough Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The chapter with the old woman that was mother of one of her knights makes it VERY clear that this war wasn’t compulsory. At best when nobles got to the point where they lost too many people the war would have been just blown over. BUT THEN SHE APPEARS!! Giving fools(nobles or not) the biggest dreams and the war stretched without end. I’m not complaining that she is a “war hero” but that she is a failure as one and could have ended the war at any time by going to the king and that this story is very much a post-war which means of people still having Hildegarde’s name in their minds and the losses still stinging heavily(which is why the war can’t just be a backdrop such as in the “war hero” novels you claim require retrospect and regret) but then there she goes as the reason for this mess. Go read “Pick me Queen” if you want a female war hero(though war IS a backdrop).
    I actually find your parallel with Violet Evergarden kinda hilarious because unlike the titular character that is just a sad cog in the worst machines humanity conceived and basically powerless in the grand scheme, the Sun witch was basically why there was that great of a war AT ALL and basically managed to be both guilty for the deaths of not only her enemies but of her allies and the only reasons things don’t go her way is that she never pushes it to be so.
    Unlike Violet in which being a machine is all she ever knew and that ultimately lead her to the most important man of her life, Hildegard clearly doesn’t have that same problem with her having a defined personality, just that author basically genderswapping her and ML’s archetypes as this story basically makes much more sense(even if it looks worse) if you genderswap the Hildegard and ML(a cold, aloof, damaged yet humorous master of combat paired with a healer that is bodily frail, a doormat, can’t go 2 steps without stumbling and that has a dark secret)

GoldenTiger0 likes this.
  14. Nightbringer

Nightbringer Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just would like to point this out. Saying that she was "just" following orders and thus has no responsibility for her actions is complete bullshit and if anyone actually believes in that they need help.

15. Souply

Souply Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Binge read 109 chapters in one night and all i can say is; Can my girl just get some rest? Like god, fuck the king
    Honestly i was gonna say the story had a slow progression and you really notice how many chapters you are reading but when the flashback start rolling in, you fly through them (if you waited for the updates, i commend you) also: Fuck the king
    When you get the full context for the war and everyone's sides, you just think "damn, not only do i understand how this affected you, i can synthesize with your actions" also daily reminder: Fuck the king
    Even Therion's Uncle, before the flashbacks i just thought he wanted power and had some beef with the Sun Knight however after the flashback, you get why he has that issue.
    So during a serious battle, slightly before the one that Kaia disappeared from, he was leading a charge with his niece and nephew, and were supposed to receive support from the Sun Knights troops but...... they never showed up. this forced them to retreat, however since they were so overwhelmed the niece and nephew tried to cover their rear and died.
    Furious, he went to where the Sun knight's troops were and saw that they hadn't even started marching because the Sun Knight didn't call for it. He tried to ask her why and she said (after losing the will to fight) she basically was not technically part of the army so she has no reason to march. Frustrated, the uncle knelt down to beg her, to march and aid them which she obliged but during the battle the Sun Knight didn't use their power instead just vanished, which then resulted in the death of more men
    so yeah i kinda get it. He's looking any of the Sun Knight's weakness and her identity. for what reason? i don't know
    oh boy Kaia's backstory was on that fuck shit
    we're gonna go fast with this one:
    • Kaia is from the dead land but at the time there were people leaving there
    • one day, king fuck face and his army, busted in and tied up everyone. someone tossed Kaia and she hit her head on a sacred rock and bled on it, she was then granted the power of immortality, which the King wanted for himself
    • kidnapped kaia
    • tried to raise her into a killing machine by gas-lighting her and saying she stole something from him (the power) and said that if she succeeds in what he wants her to do, he'll slowly release her people
    • puts her against a death row prisoner(who killed her superior and ally) to train her and assigned an old guard to supervise her.
    • Kaia's identity is constantly hidden, she becomes friends with the prince. someone tries to assassinate her but she's immortal. the prince has an idea to make every child in the palace wear a mask
    • jump a bit forward; she shows her death row friend that she can use magic, they ask why Kaia hasn't been using it but Kaia says that the first time she tried to use it, death row friend told her to stop because it was targeted at them so Kaia just didn't anymore
    • we get a cute scene with them and Kaia says she wanted to get death row friend out of here, we then find out that death row friend killed her ally because they were about to kill a northern child (just because)
    • there is now supposed to be a battle between Kaia and death row friend, and death row friend expects to die but Kaia will not allow it so before the fight, death row friend is given an ultimatum to kill Kaia and they won't harm their child in their home village
    • so during the battle, they put on a show and Kaia does get hurt but the heals it back kinda like to show she can. Kaia wins but death row friend picks their child over Kaia and cuts Kaia in half, even separating her head from her body. the spectators are horrified that they would do that to a child and death row friend starts saying that someone forced her hand
    • buuuuuuuuuuuuut Kaia heals, and is heartbroken by this betrayal, then kills death row friend with magic; making everyone know she has it. Back to the king, he quickly calls for the arrest of the one who gave death row friend the ultimatum meaning that he knew from the beginning and just let it happen to strike fear into anyone that tries to cross him because he has Kaia on his side
    • Kaia's first battle, was to scared to use it but when the enemy grabbed her hand, she used it in fear Edit: a bit of more clarification on this part, before, the prince was telling Kaia about the idealized version of how fighting in a war is from a child's POV, stuff from a poem/song and called it "The Most Honourable Stage of our lives", so Kaia was excited but the reality of war kind hit her.
    • after the battle the prince wanted to talk to Kaia but Kaia was still shook so he grabbed her, and on the exact same hand that the enemy grabbed her so she accidentally fired her magic at the prince, and taking off his entire right ear. he didn't want to see her after that.
    • Now i'm gonna point out that i noticed that there were two sets of people that had thoughts towards Kaia's immense power: those who feared it because it is hubris to try and control something like this, and those who saw nothing wrong in using a child. Therion's Uncle was right in the middle because, the king's orders and all that
    • The old guard that was supervising Kaia, was the one that feared, and tried to get her out of here but failed
    • After some more battles, Kaia tells the king that she doesn't want to fight anymore and this fucker starts playing his greatest hits; shouting at her about how her power has helped so many, protected so much and brings up her people. Kaia gets so freaked that she says "I'll do it, just stop"
    • Fast foward to the night before the serious battle mentioned in the Uncle POV and someone mentions "The dead land" and Kaia knows it's her home and asks if there are people there and they answer "no" hence the name "the dead land".
    • Kaia realizes that she has been lied to for so long and partly blames herself because she saw i carriage leaving the palace once and it was heading in the general direction of her home so she assumed the King was keeping his promise; she laments how she never confirmed with her own eyes and lost the will to fight. Edit: just to clarify, we actually see the time that Kaia sees the carriage and makes the assumption but as the reader you can already guess that the King was a shit, and had already genocided her people the moment he kidnapped Kaia because he busted in to their land, gathered her people, tied up her people and kidnapped her. so we know, but Kaia doesn't
    • The Uncle side happened and when Kaia was in battle, her magic wasn't working then she got cut and wasn't healing, the enemy knocked her off her horse and swarmed her. her magic came out like a flash-bang and she was nowhere to be seen which resulted in the slaughter on her side
    • while she was running she fell off a cliff and hit the ground head first. her healing was still not working properly but she was still immortal so she was in this state of pain because the wound should have killed her but she's still alive due to the blessing
    • Erkin was the one who found her and nursed her back to health, she was pretty suicidal at this point but Erkin told her some words that made her want to keep living
    • she healed herself in the middle of the night and left
    • When she got back to her camp, she was wondering where everyone was but they were all dead and she remembered this word that the old guard told her "hesitation leads to death" and she laments how her hesitation cause the death of so many people, people who trusted, had faith in her that she would be the reason they would get to see the next day. She caused it.
    • She smack her head to check if she had her healing back and went to take the fight to the enemy.
    • Not translated yet but going by the pictures;
    • Succeeded in ending the war. Kaia noticed that some people behind her are dead. She always makes it out alive but others aren't so lucky
    • They return to the capital and everyone is singing Kaia's praise but Theorin's Uncle has that solemn look on his face i believe because he has lost so much and the war ended so easily
    • Kaia meets the king and he's just talking and talking and talking but Kaia laments about all that was lost, all who have died while holding her sword and Theorin's Uncle notices something is off
    • Kaia kills the king and gets attacked by guards and kills and dies and kills and dies and kills; her path is covered in blood. Except it was her imagination.
    • But then she looks at all the soldiers who were reuniting with their families, their smiles, their joy, even the guard are looking at her with admiration and gratitude.
    • And the Kaia realizes that she doesn't have to spill blood anymore, drops her sword in-front of the king and dips
    • Next we see Kaia and the king yelling on another day so she probably confronted him about his lie about her people
    • Meets Heisey, invites Heisey to be her maid, goes to her now home, meets Griselda at the gate, Griselda is now a "ride or die"
    • end of flashback
    I believe i got the major points, probably got some names wrong
    also about Kaia's blessing. where exactly is "the dead land" cause if it's more south then i have a theory about her power and her curse
    an old woman told Erkin to bring Kaia next time he's in the north and Kaia was in the north breifly when she ran so i'm gonna speculate that she needs the other half of the blessing since the sacred rock where she got her powers from had a bottom semi circle like mark on it
    so there could be a top half in the north and Kaia needs it because she's fine in the day and weak at night. she has the blessing of fire and light (day time) and she could need the blessing of cold and darkness (night time). the herb she uses is also from the north.
    so basically her power is running on low and is only strong in the day

Last edited: Dec 15, 2022
  16. missbluesunglasses

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you so much for summarzing and sharing <3

17. Souply

Souply Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    no problem

18. Souply

Souply Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    so Kaia,Griselda and Heisey are very aware of the fact that Therion is a spy and can't kill him because it's the king's order for him to be there; and Heisey is very much the goat
    so there was an issue of random thefts in the castle (there was a huge fire in the village and Kaia said that the villagers could stay in her castle), and the ingredient list for Kaia medicine got stole so Griselda is on 100 levels of high alert. Therion was there when Erkin say that it got stolen and Griselda is like *shush* we'll discuss this later. Therion is like: so she's already suspicious of me, i mean yeah i have a job to do but damn.
    • long story short; it was a cat.
    • Griselda tells Erkin that she returned the ingredient list to his room.
    • Therion sneaks into Erkin's room and looks at the paper but it's dark so he can't see most of it properly then Heisey walks in, Therion tries to play it cool
    • Heisey straight up say that she knows that he's been nice to her as a way to butter her up and get some info from her as the Lord's lady in waiting but she mentions that she has a slight issue telling people's faces apart and the main reason she serves the Lord is because when no one came to help her hometown, only the Lord came
    • She is basically Kaia's eyes and ears in the castle because who is gonna expect that from her, and all because she doesn't carry a sword doesn't mean she doesn't know what loyalty is; she says Therion isn't a bad guy but this act of backstabbing will come to an end when he has to pick a side
    • so the main ingredient for Kaia's medicine, the supply got cut off; we can infer this is due to Therion's uncle but i could be wrong
    • so Griselda and Erkin go directly to the north to get it and they have a time limit because Kaia is getting more resistant to the medicine and needs larger doses
    • so i'll just skip ahead and the time limit is running out for Griselda and Erkin's return but Kaia passes out in-front of Therion
    • chapter 100;
    • kaia wakes up and Griselda is just standing in darkness like; he saw you pass out, want me to deal with him? (remember, him being here is an order from the king)
    • kaia says no
    • Griselda also mentions that Erkin mentioned that his parents were murdered by the Sun knight to a bunch of northerners that were accusing him of being a traitor
    • Kaia is silent about this fact and Griselda asks if she knew and Kaia says yes, she knew
    • Griselda is more ready to kill Erkin now but Kaia is like "please chill out" and Griselda de-aggros and says whatever you want, i will do

19. kiragnia

kiragnia Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh, sorry, I think I got the wrong thread. I thought this was spoiler thread, not "I'm dropping this because (insert reasons why this story sucks)" thread.
    So far it's been a spectacular read. I'm looking forward to the development of the relationship between ML and FL. And more backstories about the FL.

20. Souply

Souply Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i think Therion has figured out that Kaia is the Sun knight.
    some things that he noticed;
    That one time that Kaia collapsed when Griselda and Erkin had to rush off somewhere (for the medicine)
    (also the prince showed up at the castle and he kinda kept interacting with Kaia because he knew her before she became the sun knight) the prince not knowing that Kaia is known as Kaia because that's not what he knows her by so he was confused when the name "Kaia" was mentioned despite having a clear familiarity
    Kaia is kinda sick
    an inconsistency with Kaia arrival as a maid
    The sun knight may also be sick

missbluesunglasses likes this.