non white skinned heroine?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by seoktonin, Jul 2, 2022.

1. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    You are beating a dead horse.

Asian culture have an unhealthy obsession with fair skin.
    People are hurting themselves to be fairer.

Sadly, like this thread the world is filled with idiots who refuse to face the facts that it's harmful.

Humans are impressionable so media like novels propagate the unhealthy obsession with fair skin.

https://edition.cnn.com/specials/world/white-lies-skin-whitening

Idiots will use excuses saying it's their choice.

But it's the responsibility of society to point out unhealthy behaviours especially when such are popular.

Social Responsibility is important

MidstNost, Mnotia and FIEND like this.
  2. Lois.

Lois. ❲.❳ Wooosh.

Reading List:
    Link
    There are KR novels and manhwa that has non fair skinned female mc tf are you on. Just cause you haven't seen one doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Google exists for a reason so if you're looking for one search properly don't be a boomer.

FIEND and Nightow1 like this.
  3. Hlalu

Hlalu Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For @Wujigege , look how stupid you are, especially when there are series like Vikings in which the character Jarl Haakon is a black woman, and also white women are looking to get darker because of idiots like Kim Kardashian, so it works both ways, you hypocrite.
    Both for the op and for you, asians usually don't like dark skin, and they have reasons for it, white skin is aesthetically and visually more pleasant, the facial features of the characters created by Asians are of white people, if you want to see what would someone with dark skin look like in an anime, look at Afro Samurai.
    While the dark-skinned people were throwing stones at each other and being used as slaves, the whites further entrenched themselves with the Asians, with Marco Polo, a bond that goes back to quite ancient times.
    Most of the characters with "tanned skin" are still white, moreover, they could be considered Mediterranean, they are not Arabs at all or any other ethnic group with non-white skin.
    Op also has Amazon Prime, Netflix, HBO, Disney and many more companies who create their characters with non-white skin , but for some reason, op and many others have the urgent need to put and try to impose their tastes on what they read, when the solution is not to read something you don't like, if not, then leave or shut up.
    Op also has many japanese manga with tanned skin gyarus.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2022
  4. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    And before more people go on a rant about "corporates" and "media" being the cause of this, do remember that "white skinned beauty" has been a staple even before medieval times, before there were even things like advertisements or corporations. Look up the old Roman paintings of Cleopatra and see what "color" she is or how old things like milk baths are. This predates our current society by more than 2000 years, so no it is not a recent or modern thing. It basically stems from the fact that you get tanned working in the sun and your skin dries out so over time it was seen that "darker" = worker while "whiter" = noble. Or at least "whiter = lazy bum".

As for the OP and his most vocal supporter, well, my opinion is that they are already off the rails. While they might LOOK anti-racism, their methods and demands just simply draws out the fact that there is a racial divide in their thinking. Real equalists would not even see the race, only racists would demand that things change based on race. X race = bad and X race = special privileges both have the same problem, it splits people into colored groups which is the primary cause of racism in the first place. So good intentions, bad execution. Don't forget what they say the road to Hell is paved with.

FIEND likes this.
  5. Mr gentleman

Mr gentleman Ok

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol keep dreaming

6. FIEND

FIEND i eat crayons

Reading List:
    Link
    agree with this. op is looking for an echo chamber to vent about her possible frustrations w her own culture or possible prejudice she has faced growing up from other colorists. the reality is that colorist agenda has been there since civilization has started, as you pointed out "worker= tan, noble= pale" . even naturally pale Europeans would powder themselves up to look paler than ghosts. the point most of us are trying to make is that if you want tan skin go google instead of ranting on a forum thread or go to reddit to vent with like minded people.
    this tread should be locked @Westeller

Wujigege likes this.
  7. God slayer

God slayer Retired God Slayer

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe it's because they don't really like dark skinned people:hmm:? I mean all Korean are white skinned.

Btw survival of a sword King in another world has a tanned protagonist.

8. Raven Evernight

Raven Evernight But they never just accepted me for the way I was…

Reading List:
    Link
    Here make her new female lead 932BE1D1-2A6E-4AEA-A766-CF6A640BEFEF.jpeg

seoktonin likes this.
  9. MidstNost

MidstNost 【 Reigen's Saltshaker 】【 Lingtian Raider 】

Reading List:
    Link
    Hard agree. Some people really just love perpetuating unhealthy beauty standards because of their own prejudices.
    It's really sad how here in PH, we had naturally tan skin but they'd even risk their health by buying cheap whitening soaps that are actually harmful to their skin. Though I like that there's an increasing amount of popular morena celebrities like Nadine or Ylona to change that.

Wujigege and seoktonin like this.
  10. seoktonin

seoktonin burning eyes

Reading List:
    Link
    make her a female lead? no
    but how about making her my wife?

Raven Evernight likes this.
  11. Raven Evernight

Raven Evernight But they never just accepted me for the way I was…

Reading List:
    Link
    Ahhh I wanna be white like white peoples can change colour I’ve never tanned I can’t change colour like them at all not fair

12. Zeusomega

Zeusomega M.D of Olympus Pvt Ltd. Seeking [Boltzmann brain]

Reading List:
    Link
    That's like saying "slave owners usually don't like to work fields, they have reasons for it, blacks are just better at doing labour"

XD lol, accepting reality is one thing, agreeing to it is a different thing.

Also pretty sure the west didn't have anything to do with Asians love for fair skin, they just were more welcoming of Europeans who were predominantly fair.

Also impose? That sounded a lot like a racist would say, so saying make more real "asian" looking, dark, with no perfect face mc is wrong to you? Then you are pretty much deep into this fair=better mindset, which is disgusting and disturbing....don't even delude yourself otherwise...

Saying white skin is more beautiful just shows your small world, maybe search about the past beauty pageants and go out a bit and read something other than fast food garbage.

Quite the opposite, i don't know how anyone demarcates real from pseudo but I want there to be little to no change...XD

For real, anime or manga don't event represent how asians really look like.... They mix up 70% caucasian with beady eyes and asian black hair styles.

So yeah, for once I'd like to see them represent themselves instead of some fantasy breed of humans. Atleast then we'd grow to love what they really are.

Being like "you thinking it as racist makes you racist in the first place" isn't really how it is here, it's glaringly blatant with how much they push fair skin ahead and not just ignore but even demonise the darker skin. Smh

seoktonin and Wujigege like this.
  13. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    The issue with many Asian cultures is that most are dark skinned.
    It's the immigrants and some minorities that are fair skinned.
    I watched some Filipino and Thai dramas that cast stars of European descent.
    It paints a skewed picture.

Natives are not that fair skinned

Dude what you smoking?

Full Metal Alchemist is filled with blond hair "Asian" characters

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All Koreans are not white lol

Zeusomega likes this.
  14. Zeusomega

Reading List:
    Link
    Full metal is supposed to be Asians? :blobsleepless:

I get the joke you're making but pretty sure they were characters meant to be German or European origin...

Memory is a bit fuzzy but I think the only asian character I remember is that greed host...some Chinese prince? His hair was black.

Though I have to say after watching the live action rendition... I suspect they were trying to depict Japanese Germans...*squinting eyes*

Ps: man that movie made me really cringe at El's character....

Last edited: Jul 20, 2022
    Wujigege likes this.
  15. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    I was just trying to point out that some anime don't even bother to pretend that the characters are Asians.

I didn't see the live action. Was the cast Japanese?

I know some actresses like Nakai Risa are of Western descent so they would be correctly cast.

But from Jojo live action, I know casting is usually crap. I didn't watch the Jojo anime but I believe many characters are European

Zeusomega likes this.
  16. Zeusomega

Reading List:
    Link
    [​IMG]

As Japanese as they can possibly be.....

Wujigege likes this.
  17. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    So what will this be called?

Asian washing white characters? Lol.

Zeusomega likes this.
  18. Zeusomega

Reading List:
    Link
    It's sad actually, cause they very well have the capital to cast fitting actors from around the globe, this making Japanese actors act like Europeans is just cringe.

Imagine idris was asked to play George Washington, or heck as the Genghis Khan. Smh

Wujigege likes this.
  19. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Fun fact: A descendant of Genghis Khan played him in a Chinese drama from almost 20 years ago. Its hilarious

Actresses like Erika Sawajiri, Nakai Risa and Kiko Mizuhara are of Western descent. So they do not really need to go that far.
    I always give props to Jackie Chan, I didn't know it then but he had a Japanese actress in Who Am I.
    The Myth had a Korean actress, and an Indian actress to name a few.. Malaika Sherawat is gorgeous so not a surprise lol

upload_2022-7-20_19-2-15.png

Last edited: Jul 20, 2022
    Zeusomega likes this.
  20. Zeusomega

Reading List:
    Link
    Which pretty much is the whole region of couple.... countries... >...>

Guy wasn't fooling around with his Conquering Dao. XD

Wujigege likes this.