Recommendations Crafting, Magic Research, or Very Powerful Magic

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by Alabaster, Aug 31, 2022.

1. Alabaster

Alabaster Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So, I have read a lot of novels over the years regarding crafting, spell research, or simply magic. Some of my favorites have been:

1. Another World's Versatile Crafting Master
    2. Mother of Learning (was recommended checking it out in this post and read it)
    3. Overgeared
    4. Magi Crafting Meister
    5. Mages are Too OP
    6. End of the Magical Era
    7. Mystical Journey
    8. Astral Pet Store

The itch to read something in this vein has popped up again so figured I would ask for suggestions.

If I had to describe in more detail what I ideally want, it would go something like this:

MC lives in a fantasy world with a flexible magic system where he / she can dedicate time into discovering new spells, drawing spell formations, crafting magical items, brewing potions, growing magical plants, raising magical creatures, creating constructs (like golems), forming a personal sub-dimension (Demiplane), building a wizard tower / floating island, and setting up a store to sell items crafted by the MC. It would also be great to have some sort of exploration either across the world or, preferably, across the universe.

The general loop would be MC wants to craft X or upgrade Y but needs something really rare so he / she goes out on an adventure to get said resource. Once acquired, the MC goes back to his home base to craft X or upgrade Y. Same would apply if the MC was researching a spell and needed some inspiration or some rare reagent for the spell.

The novel does not need to have all of these but the more the better. Also, cultivation novels are fine as long as crafting is a major part of it not just some side occupation.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2022
    tida1732 likes this.
  2. srrrahim

srrrahim A woman's heart, a needle under the sea

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe you can try
    "Cultivation Chat Group"

Alabaster likes this.
  3. S4TY4

S4TY4 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe:
    The Creation Alchemist Enjoys Freedom (alchemist MC, kicked out by his family as a sacrifice to the Demon Kingdom, flourished instead by copying stuffs from other world)
    Goshujin-sama to Yuku Isekai Survival! (there's craftings, but more in a Minecraft-like sense)

Last edited: Aug 31, 2022
    Alabaster likes this.
  4. Void King

Void King Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You should try "Throne of Magical Arcana".
    It is a previous work of the author of "Lord of Mysteries".
    It is about a modern day guy reincarnated into a magical world but in this world mages are hunted by the church.
    MC becomes a mage and the magical system is based on research.
    The mc uses modern concepts to create spells and explore the magic system.

Alabaster likes this.
  5. Alabaster

Alabaster Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Already read about 500 chapters of this novel and, while good, it didn't really have enough crafting for my taste. I did enjoy the light hearted take on cultivation though.

Both look interesting and I have bookmarked them to read once they finish their translation. With smaller novels, I usually wait to read them since I can go through 200+ chapters in a day depending on chapter size.

Thanks for the suggestions! Once they finish translating, I will definitely binge them.

I actually really enjoyed Throne of Magical Arcana. You are spot on with the magic research as that was my favorite part of the novel. I loved how mages would react to new data / new papers.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2022
  6. Void King

Void King Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Another one with magic will be "Age of Adepts".
    It has a power system similar to "Warlock of the Magus World".
    If you liked that you would enjoy this one too.
    It has romance but it is poorly portrayed.
    Doesn't contain much research but battles are good.

Alabaster likes this.
  7. Alabaster

Alabaster Member

Reading List:
    Link
  8. Void King

Void King Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Another one you can try is "Mother of learning".
    It is available on royal road.
    It is a timeloop story and the mc at the start is an apprentice mage (or equivalent).
    It isn't about magic research but about the plot and the battles which are amazing.
    It is the top completed story on royal road so be sure to check it out.

Alabaster likes this.
  9. Alabaster

Alabaster Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have that in my to read list and keep forgetting about it. I guess now is as good a time as any to read it to tide me over until I can find something longer to read. Thanks for the reminder.

Edit: This novel is much longer than the chapters would indicate so thanks again for the rec. I am really enjoying the read so far.
    Edit 2: I just finished Mother of Learning and it was awesome.

10. Payiavue

Payiavue Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Black Tech Internet Cafe System
    -We’ve had systems that help the MCs make pills, steal skills from legendary masters, and even be forced to show off to earn points, but what about a system that allows one to run a virtual reality internet cafe, featuring all the classic games?

evilwang and Alabaster like this.
  11. Alabaster

Alabaster Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This novel looks interesting and sounds like a fun read. I will have to check this one out. Thanks!

Edit: Started reading this and I love it so far. I enjoy the relaxed atmosphere and shop system a lot.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2022
    Payiavue likes this.
  12. Addictedtoreading

Addictedtoreading Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  13. Alabaster

Alabaster Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I will definitely check this novel out. Bonus points for it having over 1k chapters. Thanks for the recommendation.

14. S4TY4

S4TY4 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  15. Alabaster

Alabaster Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Only Sense Online - I read about 200 chapters when it was early in it's translation and honestly forgot about it. Not too sure about it's current state but I do remember liking it.
    Ossan VRMMO - I have known about this one for a while but due to it being dropped, I didn't bother. Didn't realize a manga adaptation is happening so I will have to check that out at some point. Thanks!
    Frontiers ~Chronicles of Bucket-san’s Detailed Pioneering~ - I honestly didn't even know this existed and will keep an eye on it. Once it gets a couple hundred chapters in, I will read this for sure. Good find.

16. Kamuizin

Kamuizin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    City of Sin fit a bit in this, MC is a prodigy in magic and start to customize spells even at novel’s begin. Not only customization but how to use them is approached here, like throw 3 fireballs in 3 specific points so the point of intersection of the 3 spells does more damage. MC also is specialized in rune enchanting (direct in the body).

There’s a novel called The Runesmith that i read in the past, it was too early developed with few chapters, so I dropped it to read again at a later date. Sounds like the kind of novel you asked.

like Warlock of the Magus World and Age of Adepts, there’s also Wizard World, people don’t like that novel much but i love Angele as MC there.

17. bakaemon

bakaemon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    While the novel I will recommend have no crafting aspect (or it has, if spellcrafting count), it certainly heavily relied on scientific research in order to become real strength for the character: Throne of Magical Arcana

In the novel, the MC researched his way to become OP (which took reaaaaly long time) using a strange "library" ability that allow him to access Earth's knowledge in order to gain closer understanding of biology, chemistry, philosophy, physic, cosmos and reality, or just for making classical music.
    Either way, it enables him to utilize more powerful magical manipulation of reality, as long as he keep researching.

In the near end, he literally invented "atomic bomb" spell using advanced knowledge gained from atomic research crystalized from 80% of researching chapters

P/s: the author love stylist MC, long live top hats and monocles!

18. Alabaster

Alabaster Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just looked at City of Sin and it sounds like something I would enjoy reading so I will check this one out once I get through some of the other recs. Thanks!
    I vaguely remember checking out The Runesmith in the past and don't remember exactly why I dropped it but it is probably worth a second pass so thanks for the suggestion.

As mentioned in an earlier reply above, I have read Throne of Magical Arcana and enjoyed it a lot. I do agree with you that that this novel is 100% in my strike zone and spellcrafting does count for sure.