Discussion WuxiaWorld's Imploding

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by GDLiZy, Nov 23, 2022.

1. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    https://www.wuxiaworld.com/news/psa-3-month-grace-period-coming-to-a-close

It's beautiful. I've never seen a community so banded together as to shit on a site since Qidian drama!

Basically, all novels will now have a few chapters for free and after that you can unlock two chapters per series per day (for CN, just one for KN). It's pay per chapter model (sound familiar?) and people are not having it.:blobrofl:

I guess they're competing in ruining themselves against a certain billionaire. :blobpopcorn:

2. ReaderReader

ReaderReader (◍•ᴗ•◍) [Important things must be said 2 times]

Reading List:
    Link
    The quote on quote " Grace Period" with the Last Time to Buy VIP It's NOW or NEVER ! is just a last cash grab before people desert the site :blobsip:

Pay now for a month and you'll be able to buy it in the future, this is for our legacy readers only. Future readers will not have this option

3. GDLiZy

Reading List:
    Link
    Pay to pay, I like that idea :blob_nuffies:

4. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    so it seem official WN translation still trial and error period for long term way profit?
    you know like is it better subscription, pay per chapter or wut~

well should official WN follow webtoon or manga ?

anyway put business aspect aside~
    11405.png
    oh yeah who the buyer of WW back then? if not buyer let say the majority of shareholders~

5. ReaderReader

Reading List:
    Link
    .. sees who's posting *runs away*

Wasn't it kakao that bought them ? :hmm:

Traveling Chef likes this.
  6. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, at the end of the day, the people complaining are only the free readers, and Wuxiaworld nowadays cares only about the paying readers.

Such is life, I guess. The vocal people complaining are fundamentally not the people who matter to the site. As long as the paying readers are paying, Kakao will be happy with it, and Kakao is the one calling the shots now.

It's basically the same as stuff like Tapas or Tappytoon or Lezhin. You pay and you read... Otherwise you don't read. Not realistically at least.

7. DontLookDown

DontLookDown One with the bed

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think it's a good thing, certainly, but after using the karma tokens (free tokens) once I've....not had to use them again. Not quite sure why, might be a glitch or site programming error but every single novel that updates daily automatically unlocks the next chapter for me because I've "waited the required time".

Effectively, the site is working for me exactly the way it did before. So I'll be honest, not actually sure how to feel just yet.

8. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    kakao own a type oh webtoon translation hmm oh yeah they did have one maybe it use WW for experiment on WN because Webnovel.com kinda disaster

TamaSaga likes this.
  9. ReaderReader

Reading List:
    Link
    Tapas has become a

Shithole to post western orignal works and crappy stuff, there's not even a filter for Western / Korean Translated

10. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Tbh, I don't really browse tapas, but like... If I find out that a webtoon I like has an official translation by Tapas, I go like... "Oh, maybe I can purchase those chapters once I become rich."

Until then, I pirate them, because webtoon prices are ridiculous. I don't mind e-book prices for LNs, but webtoons are insanely expensive.

11. GDLiZy

Reading List:
    Link
    On the other hand, they killed the goodwill of the community and also botched their traffic which is majorly from casual free readers. I think this is harming their long-term sustainability overall.

12. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh yeah, that is true. Their traffic will certainly be reduced considerably.

How much it affects their sustainability though... I have no idea, honestly.

13. ReaderReader

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh me neither, there are people that want to pay and scrap for the free readers

I did but BJ Alex korean Paperback , and Nobless and a bunch of other paperbacks ... I paid in well another way I guess :kirbeow:

14. TamaSaga

TamaSaga Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly, their sustainability should be just fine. While it won't be as popular, there are a bunch of examples where a translation group drops the freeloaders but are still expanding. Crunchyroll comes to mind. WW can draw customers by advertising its legitimacy. I.e. you can spend money and expect it to be there in the future.

15. ReaderReader

Reading List:
    Link
    I guess that the casual shonen anime watches might get crunchy but it's not the same with WW especially since Crunchy's still technically free with ads and all

Also WW's system isn't pay and remove ads

16. Traveling Chef

Traveling Chef ⁽ʕ•̀ω•́ʔ╯.+:。Professional Unichef~

Reading List:
    Link
    I would have gladly become a paying customer had they done a better job of informing the "eligible" accounts(older than 3 months before the first post I believe) that the change was being made as myself and quite a few others had irl issues that prevented constantly checking their "announcements". and when this was brought up to Ren directly he might as well have replied "sucks to suck" not to mention that a non-zero number of grandfathered VIP users also stated they weren't happy with the change ad would also be leaving the site. it feels less like they want a bunch of paying customers and more like they just want a few big whales

mir and TamaSaga like this.
  17. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean... Crunchyroll still has ton of free animes in it? I'm not sure the comparison makes much sense? I know I watched most of Magia Record there recently, with only the last season being premium for some reason (and it wouldn't surprise me if it's free by now Edit: I checked out of curiosity, it's not free yet. No clue why. Maybe it will take a year before it becomes free or something?).

Last edited: Nov 23, 2022
  18. Yasi

Yasi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Didn't think it affected people that much, but I guess it did.

grrman and Traveling Chef like this.
  19. TamaSaga

TamaSaga Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    After reading the website notice, it looks like WW is just as free. Register an account, then unlock chapters every day.

A further section below mentions the Karma system, which you can stockpile for free and unlock further chapters with that. But yeah, it feels like some people are spreading misinformation in this thread for reasons. It's always possible that WW won't honor the terms in the notice, but until that happens it just seems like a change in policy to minimize the friction with the owners rather than an ill-advised cash grab.

Westeller likes this.
  20. ReaderReader

Reading List:
    Link
    Has some free stuff yes but a very different type of free when compared to Crunchy

On Crunchy most older things are free with ads , no need to wait for ep to unlock

Hanada and Traveling Chef like this.