Discussion Why do authors write this kind of ML? And why do readers like this kind of MC/ML?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by ClaudetteObelia, Mar 15, 2023.

1. ClaudetteObelia

ClaudetteObelia Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My friends had a heated discussion with about novels and the main topic is SA or r*pe in a novel.
    The words one of my friends said was stuck to my head, "Why are you so affected? It's just fiction not reality,"
    Personally, I can tolerate it if the SA or R-word is relevant to the plot but most of the time it isn't and the one committing the act is the ML.
    "ML got jealous so he R-word the FL but cried and said sorry afterwards" & it repeats throughout the novel
    Readers be like: Aww he's just so possessive because likes her so much!

"They are married but because of argument the ML R-word FL"
    Readers be like: Well they're already married and the ML is so loyal to FL.

I'm very curious.
    1. What are your opinions about "possessive" MLs and their actions?
    2. What are your opinions on authors (writing) and readers (reading) about these kind of ML and validating their actions?

2. Deleted member 310942

Deleted member 310942 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Disgusting. The authors are basically teaching young readers that it's "okay" for that to happen as long as he loves them :blobconfused:

3. hypersniper159

hypersniper159 Creator of NuF’s 7th Enigma

Reading List:
    Link
    absolutely disguising. Bls are so much worst- that whole genre has no idea what consent is, except for the few here and there.

4. Ugly Squid

Ugly Squid Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Like you said, I think it depends on the plot of the story. I've read a lot of dogblood novels that are basically about getting revenge on toxic MLs, so I'm not to surprised when they do stuff like that in those types of stories and I don't usually mind since that's kinda the point of the story.

However, when it's a regular type story with more chill plots and they do it out of nowhere because they were 'jealous' or whatever, it makes me feel uncomfortable and I don't usually continue reading it. Proper love needs respect and boundaries and I don't enjoy when they do stuff like that because of jealousy or misunderstandings, no matter how much he loved the MC.

5. Deleted member 310942

Deleted member 310942 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Ergh, I used to read BLs until I finally got sick of seeing that crap. That genre is mostly built upon SA and toxic relationships except for the rare few.

6. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Personally? Can't stand them. Have no problem with authors writing such stuff or readers devouring them, tho. Should come with statutory warnings or disclaimers, however, so that more susceptible readers may realize it is not to be normalised in reality.

mir and aShinyVaporeon like this.
  7. MisterBubbles

MisterBubbles [The Omnipotent No. 2 at Everything]

Reading List:
    Link
    I think a better way to look at all this is: “How many of these stories are about healthy relationship dynamics in the first place?”

The SA is mostly just the biggest red flag, but I’ve come across very few stories on here that actually have relatively healthy relationships. Just because the author tells you that the relationship is healthy or good doesn’t mean that it is.

Therefore, as a reader, you have every right to use your critical thinking skills to criticize what you consume. Don’t feel bad for being disgusted by such content.

Also, let’s be realistic. It’s lazy characterization and writing.

mir, aShinyVaporeon, emiliers and 2 others like this.
  8. witan

witan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This...
    Manga and novel have this kinda ML??

HAHA, i noped the hell out, ‍♀️

One time i read this novel cause the reviews said main couple was wholesome, of course i read that without reading the rest saying " second couple a bit toxic tho"

A BIT?! NO, those couple broke my heart!!
    Poor bottom got mental broke down and DID cause the top just beyond...ass

For manga? Dakaichi was beyond me, first chp was problematic that they change the first eps on anime cause of it....

Sorry for ranting, but damn i need to vent somewhere else (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ

9. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    I dislike possessive MLs enough that they can even kinda ruin stories for me that doesn't even have them.
    There are plenty of stories where it feels like it would just be a step away from from the ML turning possessive if the author wanted to, especially if the power dynamic is heavily in the ML's favour, so even if it never actually goes that far I might still end up second guessing the story the whole time.

As for authors/readers that like possessive and rapey MLs, I have a hard time not being judgemental about them if they normalize or glorify that type of behaviour.

10. ShadowAscetic

ShadowAscetic Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I can't stand the toss in chasing wife to crematorium kind of novels. I wonder why authors can write the most disgusting ML ever and the most lovely MC in one novel, and managed to give them a "happy ending". Just, why? Why is the choice either coming back to the scum ML or dying? Is the world not big enough, or is there no human right association in the novel world?

And the fact that there's this kind of scum man written as the main character and he got a rebirth ticket just to toss his victim again is kinda wild tbh. What's more wild is that people start to pity him when the plot changed to his POV as if his crime become nonexistent.

ps. sorry for the rant, I just can't help it because I really meet someone in real life who think that "well, the s*x scene was hot anyway!" and "I hope the misunderstanding would end soon! they're definitely endgame, right?!" (context: SA, kidnapping, stockholm syndrome)

11. zetsuen_dark

zetsuen_dark [blue is the color of distance]⚓️

Reading List:
    Link
    a lot of novels that have that trope are way too mainstream for my liking. it's something that can be very damaging to young, impressionable peeps and i hope nobody uses novels like that as baseline for a real life relationship. that said, i dont mind authors writing them, but i would mind if it suddenly appears on the novel im reading without prior warning.

oh so true. before i read the ending of those novels i just drop it then make up scenarios in my head where the mc gets together with the 2nd or 3rd male lead. the fact that there's people out there that genuinely think those type of scummy male leads deserves a happy ending just because they "suffered" some "hardships" is saddening.

12. sonicslow4595

sonicslow4595 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I simply drop the novel, leave a review and bleach it from my surface thoughts.

Deleted member 310942 likes this.
  13. sakyuya

sakyuya 【Villain】【Very tired and wants to retire】

Reading List:
    Link
    I aso hate those MC who r*pe yet act like they're the most righteous person in the world.

For me, it's alright if they realize their mistake and learn from it, but if it's MC like a certain Chu from MGA, then I will drop it in a heartbeat. I used to believe he can change for the better, but few chapter after that and he already betray my trust for him.

Such kind of MC is a scum.

mir likes this.
  14. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    These characters and books exist to fulfill a specific romantic fantasy, and they are going to be big turn offs for anyone who doesn't ascribe to it. Personally, I think that they, and the related books with super boring MLIs, are a bane on the Romance genre, and are offenses to good storytelling. That said, people like weird things, and who am I to say what they should or shouldn't like? However, I still have two caveats when it comes to this particular kind of story, and they're detailed below:

One thing to note about these books, and it seems particularly prevalent about them, is that readers lie about their content. Reviews and recommendations will gush on and on about them, but they will omit all the problematic elements, and it makes trying to find new books into a task of navigating unmarked minefields.

And this is the other part of the puzzle that makes reading Romance novels so frustrating. I love reading books with cool female protagonists so I hate seeing them get reduced to garbage by the MLI. The problem is that this happens way too often and in books which function perfectly fine before it happens. To make matters worse, it happens in books which don't have anything to do with the MLI in the first place! It makes it so unsettling to read Romance novels in general because there's a pervasive feeling that any of these stories can get ruined at any time.

Nowadays, if I'm looking for romance in my stories, I tend to stick with either GL or with male-oriented stories.

mir, ClaudetteObelia and witan like this.
  15. LeniSnow

LeniSnow New Pretty Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Let's be honest, a lot of novels with this troupe isn't well written. Most Chinese novels are made by amateur writers and since it's a popular troupe they just apply it without properly defining the ML's character setting.
    I don't read romance novel where the feelings isn't mutual and needed coercion because they mostly are just badly written ones and I hate runaway MCs. Unrequited isn't really tasteful. So it's just a matter of your choice. Others gets off it and likes it so that's also their choice. There's a demand so the authors supply it. You could stay away from plots like that by reading the tags and summary.

1. What are your opinions about "possessive" MLs and their actions?
    Possessiveness is human nature but insecurity fuels it. The way I see it, is that most authors write their ML to be like that just to satisfy their readers feeling of being "wanted". Like "look at this guy, I don't like him that much but look at him act like a dog just to have me". It's for lonely people, if you didn't like it then good for you. What I am not a fan of this troupe is that it means the ML would never feel secure in his relationship because the MC can't accommodate him enough to be able to provide that security. MC of novels like that, typically defends anyone else other than ML, cares for everyone else except ML. The author would write the ML's story so tragically and they can't even provide him redemption and true happiness because they had to be paired up with MC who can't even give a damn about the ML. I usually relate more to MLs than MC in stories like this because I know what paranoia, anxiety and insecurity, all in one feels like, I pity him, I feel sad that they had to be written that way, having to rape someone they love, having to dominate the person they call their salvation, just for them to live with regret for having to do so. I don't wish for anyone that feeling even fictional characters. The villain in your own story, written just to make the readers hate you. Atleast there would be people who truly cares about the MC, helping mc but the ML will have none except the MC. They will never be written to be happy in their own skin. ML doesn't need MC, he needs therapy. MLs of novels like this are tool man, who will provide MC with a lot of things just to have sex with MC, and sex isn't even worth it as you're the one moving, that's tiring. Most of the time, there isn't even anything good about the MC, just a self-pitying person, who thinks self sacrifice is everything, or so strong headed they can't even see what is the logically best action that isn't emotionally driven to take. Both are victims of their author and their readers who needs that satisfaction.

2. What are your opinions on authors (writing) and readers (reading) about these kind of ML and validating their actions?

If they like it then they like it. I'm free to like what I want so are they, everybody is equal. I respect differences, I might not understand what you like but as long as you're not harming anybody, then go be free to do so. I don't like shaming except if you read illogical stuff, because logic is supremacy and if you don't practice it that means you're harming yourself, you chuni!!!!!! Lmao.
    The plot should support the character's action, and if it doesn't make you see what causes and it's effect is then it's a product of poor writing and I suggest you run away from that novel. I mean why read trash? A well written novel would show you how and why they turned out that way, you might not like it but that's the way they are. But if despite that, if you can't see it then you just don't. Maybe you just couldn't relate to it and that's good.

Which is why I don't share some genre that I like because there might be some who feel uncomfortable with it. Although I don't mind others opinion but I'd rather keep it to myself than be questioned.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2023
    Deleted member 310942 likes this.
  16. CreativeCriticalThinker

CreativeCriticalThinker Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Here are some video essays that might help to answer your questions AND to understand why there is a demand for any toxic asshole criminal men as being the Romantic Lead:

Last edited: Mar 15, 2023
  17. ToastedRossi

Reading List:
    Link
    I think that these books suck, but they're not particularly poorly written. Plenty of them have good writers, good characters, and even good stories until it completely devolves. This is exactly the problem. If all such books were poor then it'd a lot easier to avoid them.

And really the problem isn't so much about whether the feelings are mutual. They almost always are even though the MLI tends to be much more sexually aggressive. The problem is that the relationships are very unequal and the protagonist tends to get minimized, both in terms of character and personality and in terms of the story, in the presence of the MLI.

18. LeniSnow

LeniSnow New Pretty Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If that's what you think.

Aqua_the_idiot likes this.
  19. ToastedRossi

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm curious then. What examples of books in this category do you think are poorly written? And why are they bad?

20. mir

mir Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sorry but what is SA?