LCD I am the Monarch

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by honglath, Aug 16, 2016.

1. honglath

honglath I miss my PC

Reading List:
    Link
    So, in the latest chapter, an old character with a newly added name died. As such, it appears that the author wants to go with the unexpected route. What do you think about this death?

Personally, i find this "shocking" turn of events to be forced into play. 20 years of experience and he doesn't know that a desperate enemy will make desperate choices and unreasonable acts? Letting his guard down like that and not pursuing to fully exterminate the orcs is a mistake that should not have happened.
    Why did the orcs attack? Because of him. Who did the leader of the orcs desperately wanted to kill? Him. The loyalty of the orcs was apparent when they dragged Violin with them and didn't escape without her. They would have sacrificed themselves to let her live. And she would have come back for Roan's head at all costs. If he didn't already know this, his 20 years of warfare should have already taught him that no plan is infallible and that a desperate, cornered enemy will go all out to complete an objective and that objective was him.

That's why i feel this side character's death was pointless and was forced by the author in order to make a point. Sure, you could say Roan can't know everything or he got smug and relaxed because of his prior knowledge, but not here and not in that way, against unreasonable, battle-hungry orcs.

What do you think? Am i wrong? Why?

2. Sosseres

Sosseres Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I feel it was not possible to chase. The enemy was still around 1k mounted orcs (might have lost a large portion breaking out but it was the last figure I could recall). He was in charge of an infantry "group" of less than that as I understand it. On top of that they have to chase into a burning forest where they are at risk of the wind direction changing. They only chased long enough to shock the enemy and then broke off to treat wounds, change to spare equipment. They also need to rest after the battle, forced march there and setting up of the ambush.

Yes chasing would be good but they already had an ambush in position to deal with the enemies likely action. Expecting them to come back after being ambushed is relevant though. That I agree with being a miss but one could also argue that the small unit he was there with was their scouts and thus the ones checking into the possibility. Stupid to still be in the actual woods with limited sight though.

Yes that was a mistake, not a huge one though. The MC is not a 20 year veteran as a general. He is a .5 year veteran as a adjutant (with some tactician work thrown in) and a ~5 year veteran in a decently important commanding role. Just because you have been infantry for 20 years doesn't mean you can think of everything from a top down perspective since you never saw half the details of a battle. What just happened counts as the small stuff he might never even have heard of, a minor enemy unit balking at an ambush and getting killed by the original force.

That it is his love interest's brother dying is forced. Being surprised isn't.

3. StampedingSquirrel

StampedingSquirrel Unstoppable Sciuridae

Reading List:
    Link
    Lander isn't his love interest's brother. It is Glenn (or something like that). Although I don't remember who is this Lander guy, therefore his death doesn't bother me at all.
    I think his death was simply a device plot to make Roan grow more vigilant and thorough on the battlefield (although he has been on the battlefield for 20 years, most of it was as a simple soldier, only in his late years did he become squad commander or something).
    Maybe he will be grieving and sulking for a few chapters (I hope not, because that's always boring, just like jp mc's who keep sulking about the result of their actions forever, without moving on, then give in for their neet tendencies, and stall the novel's almost-non-existant progress).

4. Sosseres

Reading List:
    Link
    You are right that is Glenn. Is this person one of the squad mates that were never even introduced then? Tried searching through ~20 chapters for the name without match.

So I guess he will finally be able to take his leave of absence to get to that place where he can get mana? Or will the plot make sense and his reward for this is mana, making his journey serve no point?

Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
  5. LazyLuong

LazyLuong Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Lander
    * Male Human
    * Squad Vice Commander of the 12th squad

He's the guy that trains the newcommers.

The rankings in this novel gives me a headache since its not always consistent throughout the novel. I will probably have to reread the novel to clean my notes up.

• Rinse Kingdom has multiple armies
      • Baron Aaron Tate is the commander of the 7th army
    • The army has multiple troops
      • Gale is the commander of the Rose Troops
      • Special Troops
      • Torn Troops
    • A troop has mutiple squads with their own name
      • Richard is the commander of the 12th squad of the Special Troops
      • Jack is the commander of the 11th squad of the Rose Troops
      • Tane is the commander of the 12th squad of the Rose Troops
      • Roan is the commander of the 42th squad of the Rose Troops, Ghost Squad, which later overtake the 12th squad
      • Harrison is a member of the 15th squad of the Thorn Troops

At least thats what I can sort out. Like I said earlier, there's bound to be a bunch of mistake due to the translation inconsistency.

---

Random notes I found online, but i don't know if the novel follow it:

Army - Made up of Corps
    Corp - Made up of Divisions
    Division - Made up of Brigades
    Brigade - Made up of Battalions
    Battalion - Made up of Companies / Troops
    Company - Made up of Platoon
    Platoon - Made up of Squad
    Squad - Made up of Section

6. Sosseres

Reading List:
    Link
    Wonder how training in a mana technique works. If it is fast enough and he has a light source he might get out using that. Otherwise it might be sticky if he has to survive until dug out. Hard to keep the books and other stuff then. I guess he can kill his way out if he is still in good shape. Don't think he will though.

What he absorbed near the corpse might have been a mana source or similar I guess. Then he can already use it, if he just knows how.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
  7. 0000000

0000000 I B SMILING!

Reading List:
    Link
    So... Roan has the legacy of both the fire monarch Reid and Water Goddess Biate? Damn, and I thought the name fire lord Roan will sound cool... wait how in cultivation land can Roan learn these two mana techniques at the same time on such a short period of notice? And why is the water essence on Reid the fire Monarch?

8. craBebe

craBebe Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I figure these questions will be answered in the coming chapters. Not sure how Roan expects to learn magic in 2-3 months though, seems like it'll take a lot longer than that. So much to do ><.

9. 0000000

0000000 I B SMILING!

Reading List:
    Link
    The spear movement that is fluid like water but fierce like fire.... not to mention occasional fire and water bending....

10. Sosseres

Reading List:
    Link
    What he has right now is the legacy of the fire monarch and a touch of legacy from the dragon which allows entry into that dragon realm. He doesn't have Biate's legacy yet. He only knows it is somewhere related to the lake. Not even the exact location as for the fire monarch. Perhaps he can extrapolate based on what little he knows of the pirate's past actions.

11. 0000000

0000000 I B SMILING!

Reading List:
    Link
    Knight Kali felt like the prick in earlier chapters..... then again such characters are in abundance

Hiji likes this.
  12. Sosseres

Reading List:
    Link
    More like they stick out. If there are 25 knights and one is a bad egg then that one is the one that is written about and noticed.

13. Black Heart

Black Heart A Perfectly Normal Individual

Reading List:
    Link
    Is this better than Mad Snail Novels??

14. Sosseres

Reading List:
    Link
    What are Mad Snail Novels? No hits in search for novels on NU.

As for the novel. It is a good military fiction with a decent world and a bit too many overpowered items falling to the MC due to his foreknowledge.

15. Black Heart

Black Heart A Perfectly Normal Individual

Reading List:
    Link
    Mad snail was the one who wrote TDG and R Thief. Which has the same theme as this.

I read this up to chptr 50 and it's good but i'll stop for now. Need to stack chapters to be more enjoyable

16. Rephidim

Rephidim Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Roan is stealing Pierce's said future. (It was supposed to be Pierce getting the attention of said Spear Master)

17. Sosseres

Reading List:
    Link
    I think Roan will try to get Pierce to join them or only send him. I don't think he will steal it fully since he was a friend in the previous life. Though I guess he could think he will climb and make sure Pierce isn't negatively impacted since he already wants him to join in the climb.

0000000 and Rephidim like this.
  18. 0000000

0000000 I B SMILING!

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol Roan under someone he wants to get rid of.... bye bye master spearman Pierce hello master archer Harrison.

Hiji and Infinity Sword like this.
  19. 0000000

0000000 I B SMILING!

Reading List:
    Link
    His actions affecting the future is just..... damn

20. Infinity Sword

Infinity Sword 『SwordofChaos's』『GodSlayingSword』『ZetaFam』『7Sin』

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmmm~~ I wonder.... Aaron say "When this war ends, I will grant you a big reward.” Will this reward his daughter? I mean in past being married to Noble is privilege right?
    This especially true because Aaron doesn't want to loss Roan... What better way to tied Roan to his side besides make him his son-in-law? Not to mention he see that Roan would have high prospects in the future, so giving his daughter to him wouldn't be a loss but a high investment....

Last edited: Nov 8, 2016