Tutorials & Resources How to create a good thread

Discussion in 'Novel Updates Site Discussion' started by Ldyrdy, Nov 27, 2015.

1. Ldyrdy

Ldyrdy Snowfallsdown

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi! Since this is never been mentioned, I couldn't resist myself to make this thread on how to create a good thread.. This is just a simple one written on phone but I hope it could help you guys.

1. Define your purpose
    What is the purpose of your thread? Novel discussion? Getting feedback on your original topics? Discussing hobbies or game? There are many subforum in this place, make sure you make your thread in the right subforum and some have their own posting format for example, original composition with table of contents.

2. How do you want people to react?
    This place is famous for thread hijacking.. Some may not pay it any attention but some may want a serious answer where the replies was relevant to the thread. That's why we have what will be explained in number 3,tags.

3. Tag
    When creating a thread, make sure you do tags correctly. What is the purpose of this tag? The most important might be "No hijacking" or "No off topic tags" or "serious discussion".. If you have this on your thread, the reply will be relevant and won't be derailed.
    Ps:if things is still out of hand, you can contact a moderator/staff to help out..

Tags are also important for example, your thread have tags : coiling dragon. Just in case in the future you want to search it again, searching the tags work fine. Also you might find what other think/ discussed in the past on the other thread with the same tag.

4. Start it with your own opinion
    A great thread has to be started by the creator. For example, you asked for an opinion about a novel, make sure you explain what is your opinion about it first. Asking for reccomendation, it would be great if you tell us your detailed preferences on what kind of novel are you looking for.

5. Attracting others to reply
    You can promote your own thread by posting the links on your status or even signature. Adding pictures, videos, might also attracts people. However the most important thing is. Be a good thread starter. Participate on the thread post, when discussing something and others replied, say thanks and tell what you think about their opinion. Believe me thread that is abandoned by the thread starter won't have others replied on it for long unless it's been hijacked!

Lastly, enjoy your time here. Internet is where a lot of different kinds of people gathered. Some may annoys you and some may greatly win your respect. We just need some understanding with each other.

Then, enjoy your time at Novel Updates Forum and good luck with your thread!

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
  2. Linley

Linley 【Linlin】【The Love Doctor】【NUF Nicknamer】

Reading List:
    Link
    Um... which thread would I chose to post poetry, sonnets, and haikus I've written? This is an actual serious question, I really like poetry

Celery and Chrit like this.
  3. Ldyrdy

Ldyrdy Snowfallsdown

Reading List:
    Link
    Do you want to share your own creation? Post it under original creation

Do you want to discuss it with other?
    It can be put under general chat

Actually both place can be used to post it.. But as I said.. To make it good / have respond oftenly you should be actively participating on it.

I believe putting it under original creations will be better

4. Linley

Linley 【Linlin】【The Love Doctor】【NUF Nicknamer】

Reading List:
    Link
    Alright, tyvm ^-^ that's what I was considering, but I wasn't sure whether it was for original novels only

Chrit and Ldyrdy like this.
  5. Chrit

Chrit Chrit the human.

Reading List:
    Link
    Got to say, wish this was here when I joined the forums.
    I made a lot of really horrible threads back in the day. It happens to everyone.
    If people don't notice your thread, just keep working on it. People will come around and help.

Lastly, always remember to have fun. I've snapped more that a couple times on these forums, but I've always come back because people are great! They just take some getting used to.

6. tocos10

tocos10 Even more then the greatest Poster

Reading List:
    Link
    Having tags saying no hijacking doesn't mean much when you yourself go of topic when the topic changes...

Gadget likes this.
  7. Ldyrdy

Ldyrdy Snowfallsdown

Reading List:
    Link
    As I said if your purpose if to have a serious thread then it won't happen.. And number 5,participate in it to make surr it doesn't go off course.. You are the thread starter and it's your job

8. tocos10

Reading List:
    Link
    that may be true and all but what happens is it goes slightly off topic and then continues until its completely of topic. As the thread poster if you want a thread to stay on topic you have to make sure it doesn't get any more off topic then a little or its probably your fault... And its not even a problem on here except for that one time when there was a lack of miscommunication.

9. Ldyrdy

Ldyrdy Snowfallsdown

Reading List:
    Link
    You could always directed it back to make sure it's on the right path.. When things goes wrong you can do this..

-----------
    Sorry, please replied with something related to the topic.

Or

No more off topic please..

Example happened on this thread:
    http://forum.novelupdates.com/threads/healthy-life-diabetes-mellitus.692/#post-22705

If your true reason is to make a troll threads then maybe that was expected..
    As a fix to tags, number 3,
    A moderator can step up and help fix it by banning the one who start the chaos from commenting on that thread only. You could also ask for the thread to be closed so no more reply can be given.

10. tocos10

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't see any threads outside of the general area ever getting hijacked and if your conversation was something that you wanted to seriously discuss I'm sure there are better placed if it does not fit anywhere on this forum other then the general area

TLDR: You are taking this small thing and blowing it out of the ballpark hijacking is not a big problem

11. Ldyrdy

Ldyrdy Snowfallsdown

Reading List:
    Link
    A forum is a place where different kinds of people gathered so many things may be discussed.. We just need some understanding.

I'm not making it a big problem and it's just a normal thread on how to create a good thread.. And let's return to the topic before we went off..

12. tocos10

Reading List:
    Link
    and that's how you bring the conversation back on hand

*was all planed in advance.

Clara_the_fish likes this.
  13. Ldyrdy

Ldyrdy Snowfallsdown

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for the help!

So that's the gist of it guys!
    Have fun and enjoy your time in novel updates forum!

Clara_the_fish and tocos10 like this.
  14. erichninja

erichninja Don’t think about it

Reading List:
    Link
    So what kinds of Tags can we make?

15. Random

Random Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    here are some examples...
    [@Potato] [@Random] [Do ppl read these lol] [Weeaboo] [Hi @Tony] [Oi Mods come fix this] [HALP!] [*sacrifices all posters on the thread to @Satan] [Cuz Why Not] [Need Tag Suggestions] [Lol] [Just for fun] [Come Netflix and Chill] [Polls]

16. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Except [need tag suggestion] and [just for fun], the rest of the tag are the example of what you should not write.

17. Random

Random Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    hmph rude...

Shio likes this.
  18. ApprenticeOfGames

ApprenticeOfGames That sneaky lil sucker who pickpocketed you

Reading List:
    Link
    In my opinion having too many tags are kinda pointless so if you can't think of any obvious tags don't put any even if you have none. As if you the op cannot think of a tag that describes your thread's purpose then i doubt someone is gonna search for exactly that.

19. Pudica Yokatta

Pudica Yokatta Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I want to make a thread about "Looking For".
    You are giving me some helpfull information there.
    Thank you.

20. Deleted member 41274

Deleted member 41274 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Random likes this.