Recommendations Genius MC.

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by Dragon God, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Dragon God

Dragon God {King of Peasants} {Tanya's Husbando}

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm looking for a franchise; Original novel, western Novel, Asian novel, manga, I don't really care as long as it is freely available online (I'm willing to take Anime suggestions too, but only as a last resort, as downloading is data expensive)], in which the main character is a Genius.

Now, I don't mean a case where the main character as an IQ of 120 but because everyone else has an IQ of 60, he seems genius in comparison. In short the MC shouldn't be the only one with a pair of working brains.

This story should incorporate beautifully, the principle of "Show don't tell". I don't want to be told he's a genius, but I want it to actually show through his actions.

I refer to Genius in the intellectual sense here, not the [he's a genius who learned to control magic at age 3(although this would be an added bonus)] kind of genius.

I would prefer a story, where there are strategic battles, epic battles of wits through war or otherwise.

Primary Requirements:
    Character in concern must be MC(or one of the MCs for stories like Game of Thrones){Despite the fact I list characters who aren't MC, it's MC I want)

MC must be male.

Anti-Hero: I'm tired of cliche shounen MCs, and I'm loath to read a story with a hero MC. The MC can be "good", he can be "bad", he can be one of the infinite shades of grey, I don't really care but he should be consistent. His morality should be consistent(any changes should be reasonable). I don't want an "Evil MC". Or rather, I don't want someone who goes around slaughtering everybody for no apparent reason(this is just s bad as being a goody two shoes). As I want a Genius MC, it follows that he should be rational. If he kills, it should be for his goals. He should be efficient, have the capacity to be cold and calculating(This does not mean he should be a robot, nor not move according to emotion, but be able to make the rational, logical choice for whatever goals he has).

He can be sloth, he can be diligent, he can be arrogant(as long as it's justifiable. E.g if he's the best at what he does e.g Akashi Seijuro from Kuroko no Basuke.)
    He can be overpowered, he can be moderately strong.(I don't really care), he may even be a non combatant e.g (Noue Salzantes from Rakuin no Monshou, Ikta Solork from Nejimaki Seirei Senki – Tenkyou no Alderamin)

He MUST NOT monopolise intelligence. He shouldn't be the only person with a pair of working brains. Death Note was only great because of the existence of a worthy adversary. Without L and his successors, it would have been a stomp fest.

He shouldn't be unchallenged, he should have worthy adversaries who if below him in intelligence, should compensate in other ways(like greater resources). He shouldn't have it "easy". Story should be tension filled.

Secondary Requirements(Fulfill if available)
    It wouldn't hurt if the character is a genius in other ways. E.g being a prodigy at sword or martial arts or Magic. (It goes without saying that he'll be prodigious at warfare and strategy)

Stories that have what I want and I've read and enjoyed:
    • Death Note (Light Yagami)
    • Code Geass(Watched it) (Lelouch Vi Brittania)
    • To a lesser extent Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei (Tatsuya)
    • I guess Ikta Solork from Nejimaki Seirei Senki – Tenkyou no Alderamin qualifies.
    • Akashi Seijuro in Kuroko no Basuke (he wasn't the MC, but was definitely my favourite character).
    From the large field of stories I listed it doesn't really matter the genre.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
    MrSplashy likes this.
  2. Linbe

Linbe New member

Reading List:
    Link
  3. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
  4. Robinhood1

Robinhood1 *The Mood breaker*

Reading List:
    Link
    You sure have too much demands for someone requesting something ...

5. Dragon God

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol.

I just wanted a story I'll enjoy, and can read to the end. I hope there's no problem.

6. Voromir

Voromir Chaotic Evil Kobold Fig 4/Rog 16/Sorc 6 (DND 3.5)

Reading List:
    Link
    if your looking for Anime Aldnoah Zero is my recomendation, novels ROroZorO has my sugestions.

7. Hoppy

Hoppy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  8. Yunchii

Yunchii Best Waifu - Tamamo-no-Mae

Reading List:
    Link
  9. dryzzle

dryzzle 『Little One』『Borderless bun』『Epi's poring』Yzra

Reading List:
    Link
    Ze Tian Ji seems to fit your requirements xD
    And maybe King's Avatar too...

10. redzero36

redzero36 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Mushoku Tensei. male mc, others consider him a genius, not sure if he is an anti-hero because I don't really get that term. He helps his friends make ingenious advances in their fields. He does kill people if he has to.

11. Corvo269

Corvo269 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Everything above. These two aren't exactly the best examples but
    Emperor's Domination
    Realms In The Firmament
    The MCs sort of are smart, but the enemies in Emperor's Domination are always gonna get steamrolled due to Le Qiye

12. Yunchii

Yunchii Best Waifu - Tamamo-no-Mae

Reading List:
    Link
    Or easier you can check my, @asriu or @GM_Rusaku reading list and pick anything that suite your liking..

13. Corvo269

Corvo269 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh wait. I got a good one. Magi's Grandson

14. Robinhood1

Robinhood1 *The Mood breaker*

Reading List:
    Link
    There are a few which fit ur requirements, but such stories are mostly not translated, due to the burden on translator when translating the novel. Although it may sound as a bs to you, but novels which actually really fit ur criteria have hard language/too much references thus making translations slow - ultimately leading to demise of translator.

U can try reading LLS, it should somewhat clear ur thirst. If u can, read through the raws ...

15. Alchemist_God0

Alchemist_God0 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  16. Dragon God

Reading List:
    Link
    I've read a few volumes of the Artemis Fowl series.

I didn't like Coiling Dragon, because of the MC(Dropped it when he was trying to murder that 9th rank King). So I'm hesitant to dive into Xianxia

17. Linbe

Linbe New member

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't worry this one has a very smart villain too and a smart MC and his friend/rival is also smart....

18. Dragon God

Reading List:
    Link
    I've finished Mushoku Tensei(I loved it). I won't classify him as a genius in the intellectual sense though. He's not really like the other characters I listed. MT MC was more a magician prodigy genius.

Not a tactician.

19. GloomUnderNight

GloomUnderNight "DOMO HAJIMEMASHITE. I am STRING CUTTER" ©

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not actually sure, but try Overlord (LN). MC is genius tactician when it comes to fighting opponent of highter/equal strength ( although he fought highter strength opponents only once or twice through all the 12 volumes :D) and very cautios by nature (not coward). He also has 2 adversaries, who are excelent strategists and much more proficient than him. MC is nor good, nor bad, I can't say that his opponents are geniuses, but they have some backstory and motivation to do things they are doing. They are NOT typical dumb and arrogant young masters. This novel doesn't give a feeling like Death Note or Code Geass, but I enjoyed reading it, so give it a try.

I also recommend you Dungeon Defence. Although it doesn't fit your request almost by 50-60%, it IS fkng good :D. Seriously, it is the first novel here that gave me real goosebumps.

20. Dragon God

Reading List:
    Link
    I can't read anything other than English T_T

What's LLS?