Discussion Good Gaming Laptops?

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by BunnyPillow, Jan 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Random

Random Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Basically this^^
    Otherwise just buy a high-end Lenovo Thinkpad

2. tearteto

tearteto Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Dunno if I'm allowed to link stuff here: but I whipped up some quick data.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6qt4uWsOgVlaEpKWGV2TWRMUzg/view?usp=sharing
    I'm using a chromebook (the irony) and I don't know how to make it into an image hence the crappy method.
    Information is extracted from various reviews and articles at notebookcheck.net.

All laptops listed have gtx 1060s or 1070s - hence consistent overwatch fps numbers.
    they're all under budget with specifics listed.
    FPS of overwatched listed is an estimate of performance at max / ultra settings at 1080p with all the AA / FXAA etc turned on.
    For fan sound - anything over 40db is noticeable - most use a headset.
    Battery life is always going to be as bad as this.
    If you game with the laptop on your lap then look for any heat output under 45C average.
    hope this gives you some suggestions.

3. wtfkjp

wtfkjp ASDFGGWP

Reading List:
    Link
    if ya want it cheap that plays overwatch in highest settings,
    look for laptop with
    gtx1060 or above
    or
    gtx970 or above
    8gb ram minimum
    non amd processor(biggest mistake i had)

pc heats up too you know, phones too...it's normal to have the heat,but they need it go lower so they can live longer,and its a matter of design to have the heat flow better, pc is fine with fans cuz it had a lot of space but.. there had been laptops with built in hydro cooler now :D
    cool aint it?

no kidding
    even w/ pc its the same, but cheaper cuz i only have to upgrade the components one by one,
    bought meself a 970 in 2015, and already obsolete cuz games demands better hardware, bought meself 1060 recently and im already feelin it's not enough anymore.

4. Gigaknife

Gigaknife 1v1 MW, King, No M4, No 725

Reading List:
    Link
    Ugh. I can already see that the battery will last 5 minutes, at most, on power saving mode, while being hot enough to cook my bacon on one screen, baking cookies on another, and simmering a soufflé on the last.
    And that's just on the desktop without anything running.

Raven_King likes this.
  5. null

null Procrastinate Lv MAX

Reading List:
    Link
    High end macbook (ex : retina) is for designing and other work. Using it for high end gaming are strongly not suggested.

6. OverlyFriendly

OverlyFriendly I should do something about

Reading List:
    Link
    $1000-2000 price range?
    >_>
    I got a laptop for $700... and it works fine with games
    I play games on it a lot :|
    towards mobas tho...
    it does work but it takes awhile to load
    and it can heat up a lot depending on the game, but it never heats up too much for me
    its just some standard microsoft laptop too

7. Linbe

Linbe New member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think he means for hardcore gaming...

8. RickyTheKind

RickyTheKind 『Isekai Pending』

Reading List:
    Link
    Hey I also got a $700 - ish standard samsung laptop which I use for games XD. . . just a simple laptop XD . . that at least can play SKYRIM without lagging XD. though I need to buy a gaming laptop soon XD

9. OverlyFriendly

Reading List:
    Link
    she*
    and no she doesnt :|
    She just wants to be able to play computer games cause she only has an ipad

10. Linbe

Linbe New member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well...sorry... wrong thread...I saw lot's of threads on the topic gaming laptop in the last few days...

11. OverlyFriendly

Reading List:
    Link
    oh..... lol
    its k

12. LazyLuong

LazyLuong Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I highly advise getting at least 12gb of ram on your laptop, and make sure your video chipset has a good amount of dedicated ram.

Maybe it's because I'm a heavy user, but just all the background application I use, I always end up having 5.8 GB of committed ram in use. Lets not forget the ram requirement of games. Once you start using a certain percentage of ram, it will start using virtual ram, which is basically your hdd as ram, causing the laptop performance to drop drastically.

I have the ASUS ROG GL552VW-DH71 with 16GB of ram and GTX960M 2GB GDDR5 VRAM graphic chipset that I quickly purchase (due to circumstances) on a budget for school without much paying attention to the graphic memory. I would have spend the extra money for a 4gb of graphic memory if I knew. Believe me, I still find the performance for games still lacking, unless I lower the settings with customize settings and 720p. The main culprit of the low performance is due to the low graphic ram on the video card chipset I have. The 2gb of ram gets eat up by the hd textures of newer video games really quickly. That's why when you look at the current highest end gaming laptop, you will see the video chipset they come with are all 8gb of dedicated memory (probably for 4k gaming). Some game can run 1080p with 2gb of graphics ram, but most require more graphic ram. Also don't mix up DDR3 with GDDR5 graphic memory when you're looking at the technical spec.

If you're going to game on your laptop, you may want to invest in a cooling fan for your laptop. I own an Opolar LC06 Laptop Fan Cooler (amazon.ca).

13. John Wick

John Wick Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I was thinking of getting this later, but not sure how reliable is the quality and durability.

To OP: I would recommend a desktop PC for gaming. Unless your traveling a lot to other places then yes laptop is the way to go.

14. knighteem

knighteem Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Instead of a gaming laptop, Invest on Custom PC. Main reason is gaming on a laptop has a lot more minus than plus.
    Many problems occur with a laptop even tho laptops are more convient to carry around and what not but its more troublesome in the long run

Problems like:
    -Battery shortage (most gaming laptop can last up to ~2 or 4hrs on battery, most connect power brick instead)
    -Heavy weight
    -All pheripherals need to be carried along (Power brick included)
    -Higher chances of HDD getting damage during transport, (problem doesnt affect SSD but its more ex than HDD)
    -Possible screen damage (screen in 1 with the unit)
    -High repair cost
    -Many non-upgradable parts/components
    -Lesser IO ports (on more moderate gaming laptops)

Actually all the problems i listed down are the problems i faced for my gaming laptop which is also for school work.
    I truthfully dun recommend it if u gonna travel around a lot with it cuz of the weight but at the same time, not moving it around makes it more questionable in getting a laptop. U can get value for money a custom pc tho...

Razogul likes this.
  15. Jaiki

Jaiki Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  16. LazyLuong

LazyLuong Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thats a nice base laptop setup, but i would also say change the 8gb ram to 16gb ram. 32gb if you are doing digital media work like graphic design or video content creation for your studies, though most people in that field often get a Mac.

17. Arcturus

Arcturus Cat, Hidden Sith Lord

Reading List:
    Link
    I've had an MSI Apache Pro for about 4 years now and it's still the best laptop in the family (despite others having newer laptops). It can run hot, but it is what it is. And I also thoroughly recommend getting 16 gigs of ram and the ssd as well

18. mitch

mitch New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Are there particular brands or models you already have in mind?

19. Razogul

Razogul [Flag Raiser][Rald's and Carm's Senpai]

Reading List:
    Link
    I would recommend you go into making a custom desktop. Laptops aren't that good as gaming desktops due to several issues.

20. Chrono Vlad

Chrono Vlad 『Banned From Drinking』

Reading List:
    Link
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.