Discussion What's your acceptable novel's rating?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Demonic Reader lv 451F, Feb 2, 2017.

?

What is your minimum acceptable novel's rating?

1. 4.0/5.0

18 vote(s)
    26.5%
  2. 4.1/5.0

2 vote(s)
    2.9%
  3. 4.2/5.0

4 vote(s)
    5.9%
  4. 4.3/5.0

2 vote(s)
    2.9%
  5. 4.4/5.0

2 vote(s)
    2.9%
  6. 4.5/5.0

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  7. 4.6/5.0

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3.x is enough

39 vote(s)
    57.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ElTorroLoco

ElTorroLoco [Christmas spiritbun][Left Hand of Sordahon]

Reading List:
    Link
    probs one of the best series atm.

2. unkxz

unkxz Lurker

Reading List:
    Link
    3.x is enough... story full of plot holes ? repetitive and uncreative, stupid MC and harem ? I'm fine with all these as long as I try to read it myself and it's enjoyable. don't let other opinions tell you what to do.

3. AHKoT

AHKoT [FA sect] [2nibyou] [ReverseEpi] [Htrap]

Reading List:
    Link
    What's this nonsense you're talking about...... invisible dragon is a masterpiece you hear, to the point that 90% of my brain's neurons disappear with just 10 chapters.....

Nimroth likes this.
  4. TheOneTrueApex

TheOneTrueApex Illegitimate Young Master|Sadistic Male Lead|Laozi

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't really give a damn about ratings. If, by the 20th chapter, I don't get the urge to flip the table and lose my shit, then it's a good read for me. There's always that story which would be our guilty pleasure despite 9/10 saying it's crap. That's why I threw my reliance on ratings out the window.

5. fanobody

fanobody Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, they never finish here and they becaume repetitive after.

6. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    Seems like a successful weapon then, not sure about novel though.

AHKoT likes this.
  7. Takumi168

Takumi168 『Forever Alone Guild』『Boredom sect』『Merchant』

Reading List:
    Link
    That's me lol I usually use 3 when is OK and 4 like it 5 for love it

8. fanobody

fanobody Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Many 4 to 5 star rating on rr are sh!# and there is also hater that put .5 star on author for no good reason but was better than some 4.5 star story and they quit because of that. Compared to royal road the rating on novel update is perfect.

mrttao likes this.
  9. mrttao

mrttao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This really says it all

Lazybum0 and Nimroth like this.
  10. Jaded

Jaded Majoring in Erology

Reading List:
    Link
    I'll have to disagree with you. When you see a novel which has a good rating, you read it. If it turns out to be bad, you drop it. The novel was given a chance, and it failed.

But if a novel which is actually good has a bad rating due to trolls, chances are people won't read it cos of the bad rating. It never gets a chance. If the book has several chapters then it would eventually become popular I guess, but stories that have a small number of chapters usually end up getting buried.

Good books remaining unknown and unread because of a group of annoying people who had nothing to do seriously seriously annoys me. I've made a couple of rant threads on NuF and ranted to mods on PM's thanks to that lol.

It feels sad when I see the new translators completely confused and disappointed who see the bad ratings when they've just posted one chapter and so they write posts on their sites saying that they dunno what happened/assure the reader that the story will pick up soon/etc...How can those troll raters go ahead and trample the efforts of the translators without even giving novel a chance? I honestly doubt they gave the novel a chance, seeing that novels get low ratings when the only thing posted is a prologue so vague that you don't know what the genre of the novel is, who's the MC, etc.

There's a new novel called Aspirations for Nation and Beauty which seems like a wuxia with only 10 chapters out and a rating of 3.0. When the first chapter was out, there were already a few 1 stars. So I did what you consider worse, gave it a 5 star rating. You can see people over here posting that they don't trust ratings, and then also say that they generally read novels with above 3-3.5 ratings. The novel currently has 26 raters and 260 people have it in their reading list. Good novels have around 10-15 raters per 100 reading list(looking from the DE and WoC which are at the top of my Nu page right now). Bad ones have a better ratio(cos people rate and remove it from their reading list. Plus it's easier to remember to rate a bad novel lol).

So if we just look at these stats, for the novel to get a better rating, it needs more readers as 10% have already rated. But as it has a bad rating right now, people who would have read and liked it get turned off. Not a really helpful start. If that doesn't improve soon and the translator loses his motivation as a result, I'll definitely snap lol. So yeah, like I said at the start, I'll have to disagree with you. Once enough chapters of the novel are released, I'll change my rating if it needs to be done.

Edit: I ended up ranting orz. Wonder if anyone's going to even read this long post :/

mrttao and Nimroth like this.
  11. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    Well I guess it depends on if you are considering what is good for the individual reader or good for the novel/translation.
    It is just that I feel that the overuse of 5* ratings is what make people avoid the 3* rated novels in the first place and thus giving power to the trolls that rate 1* on new novels.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.