Discussion Nuclear bombs in a zombie apocalypse

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Sami11, Mar 5, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Sami11

Sami11 [Level 99 Duck]

Reading List:
    Link
    I wanna talk about nuclear bombs.
    I recently watched a video explaining what would happen if humans were to disappear. One of them was that after several weeks or months, the world's nuclear bombs would detonate.
    I can't help but think what would happen to them if a zombie apocalypse would happen. I mean, America, Russia, and China have a shit ton of nuclear bombs. Don't they?
    I heard from my friend that dismantling a nuclear bomb is a lengthy process. What would they do if a zombie apocalypse was rather sudden than predictable and come out of nowhere?
    Won't the population, and possibly the entire world, be wiped out with only a few weeks in the apocalypse?

Link:
    Quote: About a month after we disappear, all cooling water in nuclear power stations will have evaporated. This will lead to a series of explosions much stronger than the Fukushima and .... disasters.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
    AHKoT and DubZer0 like this.
  2. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    That is actually a good thing. When nuclear bombs wipe out the entire thing on this planet, this planet will become a dead star. The alien would probably be happy.

3. mcmunhuu

mcmunhuu [Got rejected by LaDyViL] [T_T] [No Game No Life]

Reading List:
    Link
    We human wont desipear from existence no matter what

AHKoT and SirMajorLemon like this.
  4. DubZer0

DubZer0 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    post a link to the video...

Astaroth likes this.
  5. Diabeetus

Diabeetus [NUFs cutest Panda][Pandesu~][BootyFul][Hungry]

Reading List:
    Link
    ...or the planet will reach its hottest point which in turn leads to another ice age... which pretty much wipes out every entity in the world giving it a new start.(unless aliens visit us before that happens)

6. Neruz

Neruz sssSSSssss

Reading List:
    Link
    Uhhh... While I can't guarantee that there aren't really hilariously idiotic nuclear bomb designs that will initiate if someone leaves them alone for a few months, I am quite certain that none of the bombs used by anyone sane possess that trait.

Initiating a nuclear bomb is actually extremely difficult, it's harder to set one off correctly than it is to do almost anything else. Nuclear bombs are very intricate and complex devices and unless they initiate in exactly the right manner you just get an incomplete 'dirty' explosion that doesn't do a whole lot other than contaminate the immediate vicinity with radioactive debris.

Nuclear bombs are actually carefully and deliberately designed so that they will not in fact initiate correctly without significant effort, this is because the people who designed the bombs in the first place don't actually want to use them. And they sure as shit don't want them to go off accidentally.

7. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    Well..That escalated quickly~~

Lazriser likes this.
  8. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Nah! It would take more than weeks to end the the world if you mean planet but if you mean civilization, yes, give or take a months or years if not weeks. People aren't that stupid when there's a massive zombie epidemic on the loose, right?

9. GravityKatt

GravityKatt Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    the chance of a nuke going off wontonly is slim. they have safe guards for this reason.

10. Milanin

Milanin [Reader] [???] [Freeloader]

Reading List:
    Link
    Since I'm not in any way, shape or form informed about the procedures and the validity of anything you said, I'll also join in with the same level of validity.
    And so:
    I don't think the nuclear bombs would explode. I mean, if anything, there would have been more than just a few nukes going up in the world up until now because of 'letting them be'.
    And even if they do, they'd be in underground storage facilities and would be like the bomb tests, where the earth suddenly rises up in the nearby area, perhaps a few would cause mushrooms.
    What I find more likely is that the nuclear facilities around the world that need constant checking and adjusting would go before bombs would, since I don't think there would be any person who'd build a bomb that would go off if left unattended for a week, month or year, but on the other hand the facilities need regulations in their working state in order to stay in the safe levels.

11. Sami11

Sami11 [Level 99 Duck]

Reading List:
    Link
    I think this was the video I watched :

Yggdrasil likes this.
  12. Neruz

Neruz sssSSSssss

Reading List:
    Link
    It's pretty much nonexistent, you would need dozens of fail-safes to fail in exactly the right manner to get a proper accidental initiation of a nuclear weapon. Nukes aren't like conventional explosives, you can set a nuclear bomb on fire and all you will get is a big plume of radioactive smoke.

IIRC there's actually an old nuclear sub (Soviet I think) that has (or had) nuclear weapons onboard which sunk many years ago. The weapons sat under the ocean for many months (or longer if they were never retrieved) and never did anything other than decay slowly.

AHKoT likes this.
  13. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    hmmm what if the zombo immune to radiation? sure when it goes kaboom they will destroyed but what if there zombo who survive? will they level up? if they level up will zombo become smarter and founding nation of zombo? I wanna know what kind of politic act zombo nation will make~ will zombo make zombo welfare? will they make zombo school where new zombo will study to become the best zombo?
    will it make the way of zombo?

14. Nicolas

Nicolas Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Why would they do that? That would imply that every nuclear bomb has to be checked and repaired every several weeks. Who would want weapon that could detonate any time?

15. Airye

Airye Hermit Water Elementalist

Reading List:
    Link
    Explode without any help ? How is that even possible x) the nuclear fission can't happen alone right ?

16. Deleted member 41274

Deleted member 41274 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    If humans disappear plants will grow everywhere and soon our world will belong to mother nature again :)

17. Neruz

Neruz sssSSSssss

Reading List:
    Link
    There are so many wrong things in that video that I am genuinely having difficulty believing it is intended seriously and not as some kind of satirical joke.

Just the fact that he seems to think that when coolant runs out, all nuclear power plants will go into disastrous meltdown instead of just automatically shutting down when the fail-safes specifically designed to shut down nuclear power plants in those exact circumstances.

Chernobyl didn't meltdown because the machines failed, it melted down because the people overrode the machines that would have stopped the meltdown in their ignorance and stupidity.

Hell, modern and sensibly designed nuclear power plants are explicitly built such that they are unable to reach criticality without outside interference. You leave a modern nuclear power plant alone and it just turns itself off; it's not even a computer or anything, it's the basic fundamental design of the reactor.

18. Flyingfrogslash

Flyingfrogslash Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Are you sure whatever you watched said nuclear bombs and not nuclear power plants? Because I can't imagine any sane person creating a nuclear warhead that would detonate randomly if it isn't checked constantly. Nuclear power plants on the other hand are far more likely to meltdown if left completely unattended, and even that is a pretty low possibility with all the redundancy and automatic safety shutdown features build into them.

19. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sometimes I can't help myself think that Mother Nature is a bitch towards us but hey, we are assholes to her as well for killing her all the time~:whistle:

20. Nicolas

Nicolas Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In that video is no mention of atomic Bombs. Only thing exploding is Nuclear Power Plants ..