Discussion Xianxia MC Morals

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Parth37955, Jan 24, 2016.

?

Do you feel the MC's become almost as bad as the Villains?

1. Yes

53 vote(s)
    48.6%
  2. No

8 vote(s)
    7.3%
  3. There is no right or wrong

48 vote(s)
    44.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Atros

Atros Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Man, I hate how often MGA is used as the poster-child for xianxia morality problems. Yeah Chu Feng is a murderous psychotic, but if you're constantly having to cite the same source maybe you need to keep the comments to that source, instead of its genre.

Honestly, as far as the morality goes; Yes, from the current Western perspective the morality is horrible. Western morality is fucking horrible in its own right though, be it excessive prison sentences, treatment of the poor, doesn't matter. Fact is whenever you look at life from the perspective of anyone whose life, be it due to sheer chance, circumstances, or whatever, that is just not a good life, you will find morality problems. Trying to find/declare a "True" morality and define right and wrong is what got us the crusades. Pick a system that lets you and your loved ones live as well as possible, as long as possible, and move on.

Parth37955, Foxil, Rakshanu and 3 others like this.
  2. Risus

Risus ✵ Enigmatic Poet ✵ Tiger ✵ Reese's ✵

Reading List:
    Link
    Morality is a fleeting illusion, tangible only in your own perspective.

3. Vincent1873

Vincent1873 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, that may satisfy them personally but it's not likely to work with others.
    Innocent until proven guilty is just a logical way of handling situations. That's why we use it in our modern society. The MC already knew the faces of the guys who crossed him. It's not like he'd accidentally let them get away. In this situations he's attacking people who have nothing to do with the situation. There's no logical reason to think that they probably did something they needed to be killed for anyway.
    I'm thinking there was around 20 in the group that bothered him and maybe a few hundred in the organization total. He then seems to chase down and kill the clan supporting the organization but I haven't read that far. Don't feel like looking up the chapters.
    Most MCs have ridiculous luck that random people will have a ridiculously hard time matching.

Calling someone cowardly because they want to survive is different than calling someone cowardly because they're murdering children on the off chance of them one day threatening them. If I was in that world, heard that you were doing that, and I had the power then I'd go out of my way to put you down even if it had nothing to do with me. See that's the thing. Your actions affect how people see you. So there will probably be consequences if you don't have morals and act cowardly.

4. palaraya

palaraya Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    All xianxia MC have this rules:
    First, I'm never wrong. Second, if I'm wrong... back to the first rule.

Parth37955, NIlsy, Poor_Hero and 2 others like this.
  5. Simon

Simon [The Pure One's Chief Steward][Demon Beast]

Reading List:
    Link
    Using the reason of wiping out a whole clan/sect/whatever just for survival is stupidity on a grand scale. If you have the power to just destroy them and you are increasing your cultivation level at a speed that would make geniuses vomit blood, what threat would you face.

Wiping out a group creates a power vacuum that brings in new threats that you have to face. The only way to truly be safe is to have the highest cultivation level than anyone else.

6. Parth37955

Parth37955 [Unavailable, go away] Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    lol, I know. Also it's not WDQK that's excessive. it's what got me thinking about the topic.

Poor_Hero likes this.
  7. Vanidor

Vanidor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My point was in relation to my original one of people not believing they are the villain of their life, not that I thought the one girl was justified. It's why few people feel true remorse at sentencing, they just feel bad for being caught.

8. Stormingtiger101

Stormingtiger101 Procrastinator ○

Reading List:
    Link
    So what if he has incredible luck doesn't he is the only one. Sure we know he most likely won't be surpassed doesn't mean he does we view this from a third person perspective he lives it.

Most actions have consequences no matter small they may be.
    For killing a child, you might consider it cowardly, but in their world it happens on a daily basis so if Mc from that world does the same because that child might be a threat i might not like it, but i cannot disagree with his logic that he should not have done it, he might have threatened his family might not have, you got to do what it takes to survive, there is no police protecting them no but yourself in that world, unless you are from a big family that is unshakable and most mc aren't and if they are they have to be very valuable.

Risus likes this.
  9. Simon

Simon [The Pure One's Chief Steward][Demon Beast]

Reading List:
    Link
    Lets say only 1% of the population can cultivate energy, .1% of those can make it to foundation stage, and .01% of those make it to core Stage.
    The chances for someone to make it to core stage would be 1 in 100,000,000

10. Vincent1873

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, it probably depends on what they did. Some people absolutely know that they're evil.

I think that even in that situation you'd have enough time to keep an eye on things. Instead of murdering the baby you can just watch them and kill them if they reach half your power and look like they're catching up. I think there's almost always a better answer than wholesale genocide.

11. Estarossa

Estarossa 《Master of Dessert》°Resurrected Ghoul°

Reading List:
    Link
    It actually doesn't really matter that much, they never said they'd cultivate to be heroes. They cultivate to get stronger, to be the one that dominates not the one that submits. Also, the MCs usually get provoked instead of the one starting beef. Everyone in Xianxia act like they're driving a hummer (trying to compensate and show off).

Risus likes this.
  12. Hydropoop

Hydropoop Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For me, I feel that killing enemies and their entire families/clans/sects for pulling out roots is perfectly fine.
    Killing people is a normal thing to do in these kind of stories, as long as the MC does not kill without valid reason, it's okay.
    Of course, if MC is raping women left and right, killing innocent little children and nuking whole planets and stuff, its not cool.

Poor_Hero, Risus and Stormingtiger101 like this.
  13. Vincent1873

Reading List:
    Link
    That's why I say that in these stories it's a bit ridiculous. That's not even counting unique treasure like a god's legacy that's they're unlikely to come across.

14. Stormingtiger101

Stormingtiger101 Procrastinator ○

Reading List:
    Link
    Some will wait some won't, neither one is necessary better. I'll give an example: Say there are two family's both with bitter hatred and then a new talented heir is born for one while the other heir is average you kill the child while they are young no threats aloud, cause that child could very well lead to the demise of your family.
    For the slaughter their is really no use arguing about, you won't change my mind and i won't change yours while i view yours as naive for that world, you view mine as morally unjust we won't come up with anything other than wasting time.

15. validapple

validapple Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The main thing that makes this so funny to me is when it is a 'transported to another world' MC like in PMG who goes from zero to fuckwit in like 3 chapters.

I think like 60 chapters in the author mentions 'on my previous world' or something in Lin Feng's thoughts and I had to go re-read the early chapters because it's never relevant to the story or his character. The author tries to tell us how mature and cultured he is but in reality he's just as much of a dickhead as everyone else in the series - this is my real problem with PMG. If your main character is an asshole don't try to justify it, just run with it.

On the other hand WDQK is an example of what happens to these MC's if they aren't final in their actions. How many chances did Yan Shan? the leader of the Blood whatever group have to back down with no consequences, but he keeps picking and picking at the MC until he gets killed.

Arcturus, Poor_Hero, Asf and 2 others like this.
  16. AnarchyDev

AnarchyDev Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What if you think that they are just animals fighting over resources?

Fred7gold, Stormingtiger101 and Risus like this.
  17. Risus

Risus ✵ Enigmatic Poet ✵ Tiger ✵ Reese's ✵

Reading List:
    Link
    I already do~

18. Fred7gold

Fred7gold Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Did you see any of them killing mortals?( after they became cultivators )
    Imo ,Martial artists or cultivators live and die by the sword.
    So its okay to steal , kill , torture or rape in this world , if the the loser is not a mortal or normal civilians.
    Our kind MC rarely abuse mortals , but their antagonist does, so no they rarely are as bad as the Antagonists.
    In reality strong abuse civilians like there is tomorrow , so I find our dear mcs really kind compare to reality .

Poor_Hero, AnarchyDev and Risus like this.
  19. Vincent1873

Reading List:
    Link
    I would rather attack the actual family instead of going after the child. If I can make them dissolve before the child grows up then it won't be an issue. Or I could have another child and hope that it's more talented. My first thoughts aren't going to be child murder. As I said there's other options. The amusing thing is that even in xiaxain some people have these morals. They often criticize the older generation for attacking the younger generation. Even they see it as shameful.

20. Fred7gold

Fred7gold Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Or for territory?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.