Discussion Nostalgia Trip with Omni-kun: Did you play something no one can play now-a-days?

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Omnifarious, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Omnifarious

Omnifarious Re: member

Reading List:
    Link
    Most of my childhood was before the massive advent of digital game distribution.

when I was real young and was just a babbie, my family scored a free computer that had a massive floppy drive. I played Might and Magic by installing it using a dozen of these massive 8-ich floppies

[​IMG]

Back then, games had manual with pages, that explain installation, sometimes straight forward sometimes not so much...

But the question I pose you lot is this:
    Did you ever play a game that is probably not on steam or GOG and even if they are on the net somewhere chances are no one will play it ever again?

To name a few...
    Outwars
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outwars
    A third person game that is like someone made a game out of Starship troopers, you go around in a glider and gadgets in an alien planet shooting aliens

Heavygear 1 & 2
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_Gear_II
    Kinda of a rip-off of mech warrior, You pilot a mecha in an army and toy customise your mecha with parts and gear, managing weight and load out etc

Black and white
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_&_White_(video_game)
    just a god sim

Urban Assault
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urban_Assault
    Some really weird strategy game

So do you remember any? Game that you played but you don't think anyone else has heard of?
    Extra Points if no one can play it anymore even if they want to.

Deleted member 36162 and zeus like this.
  2. chillo

chillo NUF BioTerrorist

Reading List:
    Link
    an old school hentai games( eroge kind?) from 2003, when my bro PC got broken and got repaired (Pentium 4?). I found this forgotten game got installed in his PC by the repairmen and nobody ever ask what is this game, so I just played it. and I'm just stunned when I played it (I'm still an innocent 8yo boy that doesn't know an English!). or the game of Nokia 3310, space impact.

Omnifarious likes this.
  3. CyberCypher

CyberCypher Air Breather

Reading List:
    Link
    the oldest games i remember playing would be battle realms and starcraft 1 and i never reached floppy discs but that was only because my family finally got a pc at 2003 so we got CDs

Omnifarious likes this.
  4. Omnifarious

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah nokia 3310 I mean I love my smart phone.... but that unit is built like a brick, my friend got mugged and according to him the mugger got angry at some point threw his phone thru a window. The Nokia 3310? unharmed...

5. Raneday

Raneday Not Rane

Reading List:
    Link
    No offense but the first thing that came into my mind is that you're holding a big folder >.>
    And to all of the games you've listed I only know Black and White but I never played it before

Omnifarious likes this.
  6. chillo

chillo NUF BioTerrorist

Reading List:
    Link
    hei that thing is priceless (tho I don't have it anymore bcs my father sold it). the first time those things came to my country, whoever has it, always get borrowed to be played and the battery last longer than this age smartphone when you played it. it also good to throw it in a fit of anger when you lose the game.

Omnifarious likes this.
  7. Omnifarious

Reading List:
    Link
    AND you never WILL young one!!! BWHAahahahaHAHAH!!!

I remember Wing Commander, it had live action cutscenes
    my friend and I was like "YOu mean it's like a game AND a movie WHAT?!?! Is that MARK HAMMILL ?!?!?! "

8. Vedastra

Vedastra [I.....See....You.....!!!]

Reading List:
    Link
    The oldest game i played on pc is side scrolling game with caveman in it, I remember played it in win 95

Omnifarious likes this.
  9. chillo

chillo NUF BioTerrorist

Reading List:
    Link
    don't know why, but this game sounds like a game on nitendo back then( or is it PS 1, my memory is jumbled)

10. Omnifarious

Reading List:
    Link
    When my family got win 95, it was not 1995 lol, but the best thing I played was not even a game it was
    Dangerous Creatures an encyclopedia
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Dangerous_Creatures

I was on that all the time, learning random facts about animals...

11. GravityKatt

GravityKatt Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    chips challenge from the best of entertainment pack

12. Fairy-chan

Fairy-chan 『Appreciates Cuteness』

Reading List:
    Link
    I recall a game called X-wing that I played some time in the past.

As one can guess, it's based on star wars, it had some interesting missions, and I do not remember if it had a storyline or not, as I did not know English at the time.

I had plenty of fun while playing it, even if I was terrible at it, a dozen or so of years later I attempted to play it again, now that I am better at games in general and that I know English, I thought I would have a better experience in it.

Turns out the game needs a joystick to be played, I believe those things aren't made anymore, and that they aren't compatible with recent computers, so I lost my chance of going through it again.

I still wonder if there is an emulator for that game or for joysticks somewhere out on the internet, maybe one day I'll search, but for now, it is a game I cannot play, and I miss it quite a bit.

13. Omnifarious

Reading List:
    Link
    X-wing Vs Tie fighter !!! (y)(y)(y)(y)

Ah yeahs joysticks...
    I had a sidewinder 3d pro
    [​IMG]

Lol they had such silly names
    then again
    Razer naga keyboard... yep they still have silly names :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I think I only ever used it for Descent, and Destruction derby... a car game for some reason, but i never used it for anything other than that

It did sit on my desk for ages, and I would pretend I am a fighter pilot when I didnt want to do my homework....

14. Fairy-chan

Fairy-chan 『Appreciates Cuteness』

Reading List:
    Link
    It was owned by my father, and I didn't even know its name, I was a child back then.

I had the X-wing VS Tie Fighter game as well, but I think the series had 3 games, X-win, X-win Rebel Assault, and X-wing VS Tie Fighter, the VS one would be the third, so I referred to the first one, since the 3 of them were at home.

My memory on it is a bit fuzzy however, since it's been plenty of time, so I may be wrong on it.

I do not know the games you mentioned, but I do remember doing something similar to what you did, pretending to be a pilot while handling the joystick was enjoyable.

Omnifarious likes this.
  15. Cygsiulle

Cygsiulle error 404: title not found

Reading List:
    Link
    Al-Qadim: The Genie's Curse. game had a hotline for tips that went out of business really quick, and with internet just starting out and no guides or anything like that, you were pretty much screwed. also, searching google for the name probably just put me on some damn watch list, so that's just wonderful.

Omnifarious likes this.
  16. Omnifarious

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah good god, hotlines, that brings me back... There used to be a section in gaming magazines that tells you how to get pass certain levels... I remember going to the bookstore to find and try to memorise how to do some levels for games like Dark forces or something,

I threw all my money at games and couldn't afford the magazines lol

17. Abox

Abox ☆Havek's Lil' Kitten☆ {Rea's Slave} |Bielt's Wife|

Reading List:
    Link
    I have a gold legend of Zelda for the NES that's my uncles that I used to play.... I think the first game was some weird tennis things with tennis racket controllers that came with the game itself. It used an MP3 style player.. there was also Where in the World is Carmen Santiago

18. Cygsiulle

Cygsiulle error 404: title not found

Reading List:
    Link
    good game. if i remember right, the games with gold labels were supposed to have a battery or something in them to help maintain saves. i know the rest of cartridge was gold too, but i thought that was interesting enough to share. legend of zelda 2 was definitely an odd game compared to its pre and sequel. atleast it wasn't as off the rail as the wand of gamelon.

Abox likes this.