Discussion What's your bottom line?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Parth37955, Jan 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Parth37955

Parth37955 NU #3, [Dead Inside], Mid-Boss, Dark Dealer Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    We all know novels show certain questionable scenes. What is your bottom line for those (what would you not be able to stand)? For me it kids getting hurt and rape with the intent to rape.

Poor_Hero, nixxara, qzty and 5 others like this.
  2. Suijin

Suijin Blood God [Medic]

Reading List:
    Link
    MC that has an amazing ability yet uses it worse than a 6 year old would.
    MC that cries like a bitch every time about something irrelevant, never acts like a man, acts like girls are an alien existence, romance like it's a poison.. well.. JP novels in general o_O

goddammit do I hate kuro no maou

episod3ux, Ardavix, nixxara and 11 others like this.
  3. Risus

Risus ✵ Enigmatic Poet ✵ Tiger ✵ Reese's ✵

Reading List:
    Link
    Mines might be the same, it has to be an innocent getting tortured horrendously for absolutely no reason, but I'm not sure about that. I might not have a bottom line if the story is written really well, there would be stringent requirements for this.

4. Risus

Risus ✵ Enigmatic Poet ✵ Tiger ✵ Reese's ✵

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah, thanks @Suijin you opened up my mind.
    bad/forced romance, incompetent MC, horribly stupid MC, an MC/side characters that don't learn from their mistakes, plot holes galore...

5. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    All kind of violence is accepted for me, as long as the author didn't gloss over it or use it as an obvious plot device. I think apartment for rent do a good job in this aspect. The characters are clearly not right in the head, and both the character and reader know about it. For greatest offender, it's MGA & several BL title. There are a lot of rape that were glossed over in the name of love and revenge.

6. Smooth Che

Smooth Che [Awaiting TS' Approval]

Reading List:
    Link
    MC's that talk with killing
    Instead of using their braincells to solve a problem they massacre their way, killing their whole clan or family. This way they incurred the wrath of another clan and the cycle goes on

Be smooth guys~

DarkToastie, Nom de Plume and Shio like this.
  7. nazmulm

nazmulm The Lord of Sloth

Reading List:
    Link
    mc introduced as cunning and brilliant only to fall for the stupidest of traps or make some dumb move just to add tension/suspense while the whole incident could be avoided and they could go on with their life

Poor_Hero, frfr, Novelty and 3 others like this.
  8. Raphael

Raphael Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I am open to all, the world is a shitty place and lots of the terrible things that happen in the novels happen in the real world but they are rarely noticed because we don't want to accept them or simply don't think about it. Child rape? Child abuse or murder? This is something that happens on many countries around the world. My point is I do not have a bottom line in novels because they are works of fiction, I may be a bit upset if I see something of the kind but I'd hardly drop the novel or give it more than 5 seconds purchase and a thread to rant in after which I will go right back.

DarkToastie, sumguy, SnowTime and 3 others like this.
  9. TypeFantasyHeart

TypeFantasyHeart Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My bottom line is the heroine getting NTR and the heroine dying

WindKvothe likes this.
  10. Fred7gold

Fred7gold Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  11. godofmochi

godofmochi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You can't be weak if you translate God & Devil World. My bottom line is as low as possible, yet still above Mt. Tai!
    (I don't get what that means either)

SnowTime and Shio like this.
  12. Arcturus

Arcturus Cat, Hidden Sith Lord

Reading List:
    Link
    Anything that is bad. I can stomach almost anything except if it is written poorly. Of course with LN/CN/WN the scenes that would be more macabre or horrifying when done well are often just downright putrid. Probably why I read so many western-style fantasy novels.

Brinn, DarkToastie and Astaroth like this.
  13. Cupcake Ninja

Cupcake Ninja [Kind Sage][Lord Benevolence][ The Great Paragon]

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't mind if kids get hurt if they deserve it. Like if they are sick and twisted fucks like the kid from Btooom. Other than that exception, I think it's wrong and hate it. One cannot simply beat a loli or even a shota in my presence unless they are begging to die slowly and painfully. Well, I would kill them. . . If I felt merciful.The second point I agree with. That one Isekai canceller chapter is a good example of what kind of rape scene I hate most. . . Those from ATG and WDQK I'm more willing to forgive.

14. Leachinator

Leachinator [Jedi master general] Most Special Snowflake

Reading List:
    Link
    My bottom line looks something like this "3"

heh see what I did there?

15. Liyus

Liyus Laksha's Desu~ Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    pointless death

Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
  16. idiotism

idiotism Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    NTR, core/supporting characters getting raped, spineless/useless MC's.

Nom de Plume likes this.
  17. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    My only bottom line is when the characters constantly contradict themselves and what the author says about them.

Unless it's mentioned explicitly that said contradicting character have at least a few screws loose or that they acknowledge that in reality they can't always stay true to their ideals but do their best. If not then if the author has repeated these kinds of "offenses" in the name of plot or to justify some actions made by some character then that's a straight highway to my list of dropped novels.

18. honglath

honglath I miss my PC

Reading List:
    Link
    My bottom line differs from novel to novel. It all depends on presentation and aftermath. If the author makes a good job writing it, the unpleasant portion will not affect my overall impression of the novel.

Brinn and Astaroth like this.
  19. mmsupreme

mmsupreme How do I change my custom title?

Reading List:
    Link
    when the mc gets out of a dangerous situation because of luck when the story never indicates that luck is a factor so stories like invincible salaryman can have lucky situation but i loath when it happens in mga.
    also this is not my bottom line i just hate it but when the mc or other characters are treated like shit by one person or group and when the whole situation is over it ends so simply without any judgement or reason.

Arcturus likes this.
  20. NGCleric

NGCleric Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For me, it's usually sloppy development. I dislike ntr/rape/torture, but most series I've found tend to have some sort of warning about these. The ones I hate are the ones that just sloppily develop the story to have things go a certain way when it doesn't make any sense for it to. I've seen it before when authors will have characters make decisions that they normally wouldn't make just to force the plot in a certain direction, and it's rarely turned out well (for the plot or characters).

Astaroth likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.